Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who were the left wing fascists attacking peaceful protestors yesterday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Where do you think the protesters in those DP centre protests came from?

which protestors ?, those opposed or in favour of ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Better yet is to ignore the bullies, apart from to ridicule and laugh at them behind their backs.
    Then, they are powerless and not worth paying attention to.
    They are not the beginnings of fascist dictatorship.
    We do not fear drowning because of light drizzle, and we should not be hysterical about a small number of people with nasty ideas. Freaking out about a tiny far right fringe is paranoid, or even motivated by pure hatred.

Declaring war on everyone accused of being a possible fascist is oppressive authoritian behaviour. Hatred is an unhealthy emotion, even if its directed at scum.

Can't argue with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    which protestors ?, those opposed or in favour of ?

The ones protesting against the DP centres being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

FTA69 wrote: »
    A few did, the majority of them had nothing to do with the military and they do support that action actually.

Would you ever stop, there wasnt one of them eejits that was knocking around at the weekend that ever got within an asses roar of Syria in 2013, no more than were they "active" during "the struggle" and yet you're blaggarding fellas who were and have the records to prove with the standard SF line of "reactionaries".

Ye sound like Daithi Doolan ffs :D

The ones protesting against the DP centres being opened.

locals are entitled to protest , anyone else from further afield is pushing an agenda and seeking trouble , that goes for those in favour of DP too from out of town like izzy etc

the locals got branded racist by many far left activist types

• Advertisement

locals are entitled to protest , anyone else from further afield is pushing an agenda and seeking trouble , that goes for those in favour of DP too from out of town like izzy etc

the locals got branded racist by many far left activist types

You don't seem to have answered my question. Are you saying that those protesting against the DP centres were all locals?

You don't seem to have answered my question. Are you saying that those protesting against the DP centres were all locals?

i answered your question , ive no issue with locals protesting as it concerns them directly , anyone else is pushing an agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bambi wrote: »
    Would you ever stop, there wasnt one of them eejits that was knocking around at the weekend that ever got within an asses roar of Syria in 2013, no more than were they "active" during "the struggle" and yet you're blaggarding fellas who were and have the records to prove with the standard SF line of "reactionaries".

Ye sound like Daithi Doolan ffs :D

Eh, no sham. I was saying the majority of the few Irish people who went to fight ISIS in Rojava were long standing left wing activists and some were affiliated with Irish antifascism beforehand. The three I know would be supportive of challenging fascists.

Basically you’re touching on a subject you know absolutely nothing about and you’re waffling on about it. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The definition of fascist is ever expanding, it's now a term used to slime someone if they say something the PC left don't like

Beit people who oppose DP centres in particular areas or those who are sceptical about travellers endless claims of discrimination

The far left have taken it upon themselves to define what's an acceptable- correct view

The arrogance is staggering

:pac:

Do you know what irony means?

Because you just left a ton of it lying around in that post.

i answered your question , ive no issue with locals protesting as it concerns them directly , anyone else is pushing an agenda

I didn't ask you who you had issues with, I asked you who was protesting against the DP centres opening - locals or bussed in activists or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yoke

Better yet is to ignore the bullies, apart from to ridicule and laugh at them behind their backs.
    Then, they are powerless and not worth paying attention to.

You should go and talk to some bullied kids. Ignoring bullies absolutely never makes them go away and is definitely 100% the absolute worst thing you can do to deal with a bully in the long term.

yoke wrote: »
    You should go and talk to some bullied kids. Ignoring bullies absolutely never makes them go away and is definitely 100% the absolute worst thing you can do to deal with a bully in the long term.

What do you want done about this so called " fascist " expanding threat?

"Hate crime " legislation?

Various activists have been pushing for that for some time now, the recent ramping up of noise about " the far right " could well be a tactic to get that sped through quickly?

It would be no coincidence that much of the media has also been inundating us with "far right " ghost stories, media we're pushing for hate crime legislation since Peter Casey dared to ask tough questions about one of their sacred cows during the presidential election in 2018

What do you want done about this so called " fascist " expanding threat?

All the gardai have to do is to enforce the laws we already have, regarding public order offences and disturbance of the peace etc., and a bit more common sense when upholding the law - letting people off assaulting 50 year old women by hitting them in the head with a plank of wood right in front of gardai isn't on (They might need more manpower in those situations).

And obviously we need to revamp our punishment-less (for some) justice system, especially when it comes to deliberately provoking someone or attacking someone without provocation.

One of the biggest mistakes our justice system makes is that it doesn't take into account (not enough anyway) things such as provocation. You can start a fight or hurl insults, but the minute the other person hits back a lot harder than you did, they get treated as the criminal. This is incorrect behaviour, because it breeds a system where it pays to be the aggressor in every confrontation.
    Example: If I hit you, and you turn out to be stronger than me and start a flurry of punches and kicks back, youre going to get into trouble. This means I can safely choose the level of engagement with you if I am the aggressor - you can only hit me back around the same amount as I hit you, and thats if you turn out to be a better fighter. If you're worse, I win. If you're better, its a draw. Hence, favours the aggressor.

You could start a fight with Muhammad Ali and he'd be the one going to jail if he retaliated properly.
    That is ridiculous and exactly parallels what is happening with the fascists vs the republicans/antifascists - its OK for the fascists to run around intimidating randomers on the street, but the minute an organised group attacks them back, they can go and hide behind the guards. The guards who should have been booking them for intimidating randomers to begin with.

It was just like the way up until a few years ago, it was much better for burglars because if the householder fought back and lost, the burglar got the money, and if the householder fought back and won, they had to pay damages to the burglar. Thankfully that particular law has been changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yoke

Others aren't going to pretend that either side that day were different.

Both must be treated the same because in effect they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-clash-in-violent-exchanges-at-dublin-protest-1.4377808

It is inarguable that the left wing group went looking for trouble and attacked an anti-lockdown group peacefully protesting against Covid-19 restrictions. This is a fact.

Who are these violent left wing fascists? Why is there no analysis or commentary in the media on them? Any investigative journalist perhaps want to find out who these people are, and how exactly they are getting away with violence like this?

By no means do i agree with everything the protestors are saying but i respect their right to peacefully protest. The silence of the media commentariate on the topic of violent attacks by left wing fascists is very interesting, can you imagine if it was the other way around.

An amazing op and thread title.

Very Trumpian and no surprise on the current affairs and politics pages of this site these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Danzy wrote: »
    Yoke

Disagree. One is a legal entity operating under the law....the other is a ragtag bunch of leftists with delusions of rising fascism. ( And happy to broaden the scope of fascism's definition in order to justify their agenda )

Both have disagreeable views ( aside from protesting against the loss of personal freedoms ). However, one of these groups you can ignore or vote against. The other keeps turning up like a bad penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

TheCitizen wrote: »

Very Trumpian and no surprise on the current affairs and politics pages of this site these days.

Amazingly common here these days. Facts don't mean anything, tactics are all taken from Trump or other far-right procovateurs and they honestly think we can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

TheCitizen wrote: »

Amazingly common here these days. Facts don't mean anything, tactics are all taken from Trump or other far-right procovateurs and they honestly think we can't see it.

Gibberish is the word you're looking for lads.

The strategy isn't to do with whether we can see it or not.

The strategy is to normalise extreme right wing thinking, such as the thread title. It worked on Fox News for Trump. It worked on the Daily Mail for Brexit.

And they're trying to make it look like a normal, everyday viewpoint, when we all know it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The strategy is to normalise extreme right wing thinking, such as the thread title. It worked on Fox News for Trump. It worked on the Daily Mail for Brexit.

And they're trying to make it look like a normal, everyday viewpoint, when we all know it is not.

Do you think that there are corresponding media companies, here and elsewhere that normalise extreme far left thinking? Seeing as how you have correctly identified a few biased media companies?

Who do blame for the current cancel culture that has swept across our culture over the last number of years, Fox, Daily Mail?

• Advertisement

Fair point. Making it the new normal while telling us the far-right is practically non-existent.

Fair point. Making it the new normal while telling us the far-right is practically non-existent.

In the interest of balance, what far left media companies should I avoid...I don't want to end up toppling statues, controlling speech, cancelling ordinary people for their opinions?

In the interest of balance, what far left media companies should I avoid...I don't want to end up toppling statues, controlling speech, cancelling ordinary people for their opinions?

I wouldn't know, S, wouldn't be my thing, I'm not a communist. But since we're going with loaded questions...can you tell me what far-right Twitter accounts I should avoid so I don't think black people are less than me, incite violence in the streets and start thinking Trump has a point? Other than Andy Ngo, I mean.

I wouldn't know, S, wouldn't be my thing. But since we're going with loaded questions...can you tell me what far-right Twitter accounts I should avoid so I don't think black people are less than me, incite violence in the streets and start thinking Trump has a point? Other than Andy Ngo, I mean.

Stay away form twitter altogether would be my advice Dee...place is full of headbangers with egos all drenched in hysteria.

You'd really want to be soft in the head to be a radical of any kind in this day and age.

Stay away form twitter altogether would be my advice Dee...place is full of headbangers with egos all drenched in hysteria.

Solid advice. Let's hope it eases off in general once the need to protest lessens.

Danzy wrote: »
    Yoke

By your logic, someone who gets attacked and then ends up fighting with their assailant is as bad as the assailant.

This is flawed logic and ignores the fact that in the real world, you cant just wait for cops to come to your rescue, you'll be killed (or at least badly injured) while the assailant will get away with no punishment.

What about a robbery? If someone is a witness to a mugging, they could grab a weapon and risk killing the mugger by stabbing them in the back a few times while the mugger is busy raining punches down on their victim, or they could just withdraw to a safe distance, call the cops, and wait while the mugger flees with no consequences.
    Is it any surprise that we have a lot of assaults and robberies in the city centre with these laws? Why would anyone help the police even if they were in a position to do so (and then people complain that the police has no manpower, because the community doesn't help them and its very hard to investigate a crime in those communities because "noone wants any hassle", because they know they're not allowed to defend themselves and the cops can't protect them)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You'd really want to be soft in the head to be a radical of any kind in this day and age.
    This. The interwebs in general is chock full of extremes of all kinds and the nature of it can make it look like the extremes have wider support, when in fact and especially here in Ireland the vast majority are non radical centrists that may swing somewhat to the "right" or "left" depending on the times and the subject at hand. While some subjects can arouse wider debate and a more even split of yays and nays the far "left/right" are an absolutely tiny percentage of Irish people who may latch onto such debates for their own advantage.

The nutters and radicals are easy to spot. Numero uno, no questions can ever be asked of their particular credo and they block, exclude or attack the questioner because they don't have answers to the questions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. The interwebs in general is chock full of extremes of all kinds and the nature of it can make it look like the extremes have wider support, when in fact and especially here in Ireland the vast majority are non radical centrists that may swing somewhat to the "right" or "left" depending on the times and the subject at hand. While some subjects can arouse wider debate and a more even split of yays and nays the far "left/right" are an absolutely tiny percentage of Irish people who may latch onto such debates for their own advantage.

The nutters and radicals are easy to spot. Numero uno, no questions can ever be asked of their particular credo and they block, exclude or attack the questioner because they don't have answers to the questions.

the old school religious also had no " answers to the questions "

wokeness is a religion in the same way , the progressive clergy know the correct morality of everything and are eager to preach

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the old school religious also had no " answers to the questions "

wokeness is a religion in the same way , the progressive clergy know the correct morality of everything and are eager to preach
    Actual right wingers have eff all answers either. Idiocy is a broad church.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actual right wingers have eff all answers either. Idiocy is a broad church.

Could you imagine if the clergy had a tool like twitter back in the day...now that is scary stuff...folks losing their jobs for living in sin!!!

Advertisement