Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who were the left wing fascists attacking peaceful protestors yesterday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yeah that’s b*llocks though isn’t it when you think about it for two seconds.

One side wants to install some mad theocratic dictatorship, following a political trend in Europe that has seen violent far right parties target immigrants and the like while the other group wants to stop them from doing that.

Assuming your assessment is accurate, how is "one side" going to install a theocratic dictatorship? Does a stupid protest about mask wearing pose such a danger to the state?

The methods employed by "the other group" are no less an affront to democracy, even if you share their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

tjhook wrote: »
    Assuming your assessment is accurate, how is "one side" going to install a theocratic dictatorship? Does a stupid protest about mask wearing pose such a danger to the state?

The methods employed by "the other group" are no less an affront to democracy, even if you share their beliefs.

The National Party who organised this demonstration are a fascist party and it’s their stated goal to establish that sort of a state. As history and recent examples have shown us, when these groups get bigger and gain a foothold they will use any and all means to establish themselves. Golden Dawn in Greece started off doing the same, and by the end they had armed gangs roaming the streets bashing immigrants and attempting to assassinate trade unionists. The National Party is linked with these sort of people across Europe and has shown themselves capable of inflicting extreme violence as we saw a few weeks ago when their people attacked a woman with a flagpole.

These people should be challenged at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Yes absolutely fair play to people who challenge fascism.
    So just to make this 100% clear.

You're ok with:

-Intimidating journalists

-Trying to assault journalists

-And interfering with the work of journalists

All that is acceptable to you?

These people should be challenged at every opportunity.

I disagree. Beliefs can and should be challenged. The people themselves (especially when acting within the law) shouldn't be physically "challenged" by self-appointed groups.

I'm guessing there are some groups/parties/individuals whose ideas you support, but which repulse me. Would you be in favour of me gathering a few like-minded souls and making sure they're challenged "at every opportunity" in the same way? Imagine the state of our society if everybody did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Neither side should have even been allowed to gather in the first place. Not with Covid restrictions in place. Frustrating for those of us who are still trying to do the right thing. Our efforts and those of healthworkers are being made a mockery of. If we need more legislation then bring it in. But only on a temporary basis while the crisis continues I'm not advocating for a police state. Let the Guards give them a couple of warnings to disperse and then baton charge them off the streets if they remain in place. Same goes for BLM marches or any large gatherings after matches or whatever. It would sent out a strong message. Far more effective than Garda roadblocks without effective means of enforcement. These do little more than piss everyone off and give RTE some footage for the evening news. No matter what your view on lockdowns (they suck) they need to be given the best chance of success to protect our health service.

After the restrictions are lifted they or anyone else can protest away to their hearts discontent.

• Advertisement

So just to make this 100% clear.

You're ok with:

-Intimidating journalists

-Trying to assault journalists

-And interfering with the work of journalists

All that is acceptable to you?

I’m ok with physically challenging fascists who want to install a right wing dictatorship yeah. Absolutely fine with it. I dunno why you’re feigning this incredulity like I’ve been pretty clear regards my thoughts on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Yes absolutely fair play to people who challenge fascism.

What about the presence Saordh at the counter protest who many believe were involved in the killing of a journalist in Derry ?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What exactly makes the anti-maks conspiracy types right wing? Can anyone give a reason?

It may have been latched onto by racist fcuks like Gemma, in the same way the BLM protests were sabotaged by the People b4 profit muppets. That doesn't mean they're right wing however. They're anti capitalist. That's not right wing

Being anti-mask in of itself doesn’t make you right wing of course. Being a member of the National Party and using this issue and child sex abuse as a cover to mobilise and organise is a different thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Looks like we are turning into America with two groups of dopes attacking each other, right wing, left wing, both are foolish and should calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

biko wrote: »
    So Irish not wearing masks = scum of the earth
    but Swedes not wearing masks = progressive heroes

Who called the Swedish heroes, I haven't seen anyone call them that, why are they hero's?

• Advertisement

What exactly makes the anti-maks conspiracy types right wing? Can anyone give a reason?

It may have been latched onto by racist fcuks like Gemma, in the same way the BLM protests were sabotaged by the People b4 profit muppets. That doesn't mean they're right wing however. They're anti capitalist/global banking/corporations. They may be clowns but that's not right wing

Not all conspiracy theorists are right wing.
    Going by the usual suspects on here you would think so, but the NP shills are just another level of sh1te that aren't much use for anything except for attacking women when they outnumber them.

Would it be wrong of me however to tar the entire BLM movement in Ireland just because a few idiots for PBP put their flags in the middle of it?

People dislike these protests (rightly) but are automatically tarring people as facist, racist, and far-right because of a small few national party bellends, even though its nothing of the sort

The National Party organised the demo and their Justin Barrett was headline speaker. Nobody is saying the entire anti-mask movement of idiots are fascists, people are saying the National Party are fascists because that’s what they are.

It’s that clear like

Sawduck wrote: »
    Looks like we are turning into America with two groups of dopes attacking each other, right wing, left wing, both are foolish and should calm down

Had the same thing here in the 30s with the blueshirts, so not just a American thing.

I’m ok with physically challenging fascists who want to install a right wing dictatorship yeah. Absolutely fine with it. I dunno why you’re feigning this incredulity like I’ve been pretty clear regards my thoughts on that.

People can want anything. Some Muslims might have a desire for a theocratic government in whatever country they live (e.g. this country). Somebody else might want Communist rule. I might want us ruled by a king appointed on the Hill of Tara. None of these things is a problem.

The problem is if we act illegally to obtain them. Even then, it's the illegal act that needs to be addressed, not people's desires. And the challenging needs to be done by the state - not by a self-appointed group who thinks it can decide what everybody else is allowed to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It's a simple Yes/No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

statesaver wrote: »
    What about the presence Saordh at the counter protest who many believe were involved in the killing of a journalist in Derry ?

Look when Republicans are anti-Democratic or shooting people then that's fine.

It's only when the loons on the right want to impose their will on everyone else that its a problem. Anyways the far right haven't inheirited the will of the first Dáil like some sort of royal lineage so there's that too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It'd be helpful if you could stick to terminology that you comprehend.

There is no such thing as a left wing fascist, they do not exist. Of the estimated 100,000,000,000 people that have drawn breath on this planet, not one of them is, nor was, a left wing fascist.

This is primary school stuff.

Fascist has become a catch all term for authoritarian control freaks.

The radical left are just the type of individual who would be a skinhead if they hadn'tgrown up in a middle class home.

The outcome from both is the same, always has been the same.

They hate each other because they are alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

It's a simple Yes/No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Acosta

Would it be wrong of me however to tar the entire BLM movement in Ireland just because a few idiots for PBP put their flags in the middle of it?

People dislike these protests (rightly) but are automatically tarring people as facist, racist, and far-right because of a small few national party bellends, even though its nothing of the sort

It was a national party organised event. That's why people were counter protesting at it. I don't think there was much if any counter protests at any of the other anti mask/lockdown rally's that didn't feature the NP.

People call NP facist, racist, far right because that's what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Had the same thing here in the 30s with the blueshirts, so not just a American thing.

The thing with the Blueshirts was a bunch of internationalists in the IRA started a gang war with them and then Dev promptly banned both organisations. The IRA belatedly realised that getting into bed with Marxists was a bad idea and banned em from the organisation. :o

Not a bad idea now, banning these types of outfits. You can't have a gang of lads in masks going around blaggarding passer-bys and journos. Seems...kinda totalitarian. Not something a Democracy should tolerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

440Hertz wrote: »
    Meanwhile the 98-99% of sane people just want to get on with keeping the country working, doing a bit of shopping, not getting COVID from loons adopting little bit of American insane politics.

The reality is Ireland is very boringly centrist. None of that mad conspiracy theorist politics is actually happening. It’s a very flat, open, proportional representation democracy with easy access to running for office.

It’s a bunch of internet trolls who’ve escaped from Twitter and Facebook somehow and went outside.

All those protests have done is damage an already damaged city centre by driving away footfall from shops and cafes, annoyed most people who encountered them, spread plenty of COVID.

A bunch of muppets. If you want to go fight American nut job politics & street wars go there!

A huge majority of the Irish population does not care or engage with them and they have almost zero electoral support, as demonstrated in 2020 GE.

All true but a numerically large electorate has arguably less influence on government policy in many areas than the numerically tiny number of ideological leftists in media and the NGO sector

Biker79 wrote: »
    Anti-mask protestors are right to protest. There was never any agreement on masks by policy makers until recently, which yet again suggests a lack of competence in policy formation. What other decisions are being made that have an unnecessary negative impact on the public? Well..NPHET missed the vulnerability of nursing homes a few months ago. Thats one that we know of.

On that basis, people are right to peacefully protest again the gradual erosion of liberties / quality of life, that will not be restored as easily.

As for those Antifa ' spiteful mutant ' goons...they only turn up looking for a fight - thats all they're good for - so they should be obliged. I believe the guards did exactly that.

ANTIFA need enemies, they would attack each other if there was no other way to hyper exaggerate the far right threat in Ireland

Many of them are salary drawing hacks who without the phantom right wing menace, might actually need to seek real forms of employment

There is no far right in this country with any degree of potency, the hard left on the other hand are numerically fairly significant but also have loads of friends in media and effectively dominate the NGO sector

Bambi wrote: »
    The thing with the Blueshirts was a bunch of internationalists in the IRA started a gang war with them and then Dev promptly banned both organisations. The IRA belatedly realised that getting into bed with Marxists was a bad idea and banned em from the organisation. :o

Not a bad idea now, banning these types of outfits. You can't have a gang of lads in masks going around blaggarding passer-bys and journos. Seems...kinda totalitarian. Not something a Democracy should tolerate.

You're right a democracy shouldn't tolerate the likes of Barrett.

O'Duffy was a know critic of democracy who along with some in Cumann na nGaedheal who weren't happy either with the social housing schemes and industrialisation that the then FF government under Dev were in place and the outcome of the economic war with the British hurting big farmers, while openly talking of the need to overthrow the then legally elected FF government.

FF at the time legalized the IRA, who then started attacking the blueshirts and while part of the leadership likes of Peadar O’Donnell moved it more to the left, until they had past their usefulness and the threats levelled by O'Duffy and others of a mutiny by the army came to nothing.

When O'Duffy was seen for the tool he was he ended up being regulated to a nasty blackspot on the country's history. Barrett and the f*knuckles that follow him might want to try and emulate him and similar political figures of the time, but they'll be lucky to be remembered as anything other than scrotes, afna also but probably less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Biker79 wrote: »
    Anti-mask protestors are right to protest. There was never any agreement on masks by policy makers until recently, which yet again suggests a lack of competence in policy formation. What other decisions are being made that have an unnecessary negative impact on the public? Well..NPHET missed the vulnerability of nursing homes a few months ago. Thats one that we know of.

On that basis, people are right to peacefully protest again the gradual erosion of liberties / quality of life, that will not be restored as easily.

As for those Antifa ' spiteful mutant ' goons...they only turn up looking for a fight - thats all they're good for - so they should be obliged. I believe the guards did exactly that.

Care to tell me why wearing a mask has a negative impact. There have been many pieces of information how masks help with the spread (as long as you do everything else) with the spread of droplets

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

antifa proudly post statements like 'bash the fash' 'punch a nazi' etc... they are intent on violence. If groups that attended anti mask protests / anti paedo protests etc... had those things as pubically displayed as their intention there would be absolute uproar.

the violence from national party supporters etc... is all awful and needs to be condemned , but of everything I've seen in Dublin it is a reactive response to violence from people operating under the 'antifa' flag proudly bringing themselves to these protests to cause violent outbursts.

antifa proudly post statements like 'bash the fash' 'punch a nazi' etc... they are intent on violence. If groups that attended anti mask protests / anti paedo protests etc... had those things as pubically displayed as their intention there would be absolute uproar.

the violence from national party supporters etc... is all awful and needs to be condemned , but of everything I've seen in Dublin it is a reactive response to violence from people operating under the 'antifa' flag proudly bringing themselves to these protests to cause violent outbursts.

1) Anteeeeeefa doesn’t exist in Ireland, that’s an American term.

2) What violence was that middle aged woman up to that caused the National Party squad to ‘react’ by splitting her head open with a flagpole?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2) What violence was that middle aged woman up to that caused the National Party squad to ‘react’ by splitting her head open with a flagpole?

Sorry Yes, it was Pat Corcoran's baby ADA Ireland who were responsible for these protests.

2) that she was hit with a flagpole is up for as much debate as to what she did first. theres too many theories on it. She wasn't there just to admire the architecture of the dail and go home peacefully anyway thats for sure.

ANTIFA goons like Philip o Connor ( the pretend journalist ) on their Twitter pages , often include people like David Quinn under the banner of " far right " , merely because he is opposed to abortion and same sex marriage , neither of which remotely qualify as warranting the description of " far right " , there is no one from the far right represented in the irish media at any level

in order to remain in anyway relevant , the far left need to further redefine their enemy , eventually a good fifth of the population will be far right according to those radicals

curiously , while the media has been bombarding us with articles about the alleged " growing far right " threat , nothing of note has ever been devoted to ANTIFA , in fact they are viewed as a not so bad bunch both here and abroad

shes a career anarchist and far left radical **** st1rrer , she goes out hoping sh1t like that will happen to her , she can dine out on it for several years

Leah doherty is a fellow traveller of hers , both demonise local small communities for daring to show any opposition to DP centres etc , both would cheerfully ram through their pet projects and to hell with the views of small town ireland , both are totalitarian leftists of the worst kind

it was of course wrong to violently assault her , thugs are always present at street demos , they often dont even know the purpose of those demos

im personally not in favour of those anti mask demos , i wear one out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Acosta

So, beating people up is bad, but it's not really their fault because two women and a teenager show up that they don't like and don't agree with to observe/counter protest(something they're perfectly entitled to do) or others at previous rally's do the same. Despite not being in any shape or form a physical threat. Christ

Advertisement