Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who were the left wing fascists attacking peaceful protestors yesterday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yoke

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Ah maybe let the guards deal with them? That is what happens in a democracy, you don't beat anyone off the streets you dont agree with.

I think the whole point here is that the guards can't deal with them and the guards are unable to protect you once "they" get momentum.

As per the previous "anti-mask" protest where the garda member had to tell the 2 women to go away for their own safety. Do you not see that the guard felt he had to do that out of necessity since he knew he couldn't protect her or even himself if the crowd turned on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

yoke wrote: »
    I think the whole point here is that the guards can't deal with them and the guards are unable to protect you once "they" get momentum.

As per the previous "anti-mask" protest where the garda member had to tell the 2 women to go away for their own safety. Do you not see that the guard felt he had to do that out of necessity since he knew he couldn't protect her or even himself if the crowd turned on him?

oh right so we need brave vigilantes to do the guards work? lol

I have no side in this btw, I have no respect for either side. clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And also the fascists dont particularly want the democracy we have. They want an ethnonationalist white supremacist catholic supremacist authoritarian state controlling all media.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And also the fascists dont particularly want the democracy we have. They want an ultra nationalist white supremacist catholic supremacist authoritarian state controlling all media.

even if they do, they aren't going to get it so why bother having anti protests? pointless. the people on both sides need to get a hobby or a job maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Littler joked last Saturday about killing the Taoiseach. Who are the real fascists.? Funny how the various strands of the Irish far right associate with traditional anti-Irish movements, Britain first, Orange Order and Loyalist paramilitaries.

• Advertisement

So what do you suggest? If the guards are unable to do their work, we just let assholes run riot on our streets picking on random people?
    Good luck with that and I hope you don't have a wife or kids who might need protection

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Both sides are hoping for a bloody nose so they can post it online.
    Oh look what those awful fascists/antifa lot did to me, boo hoo. I'm a real martyr for the cause so I am.

Idiots.

So what do you suggest? If the guards are unable to do their work, we just let assholes run riot on our streets picking on random people?
    Good luck with that and I hope you don't have a wife or kids who might need protection

The guards are well able to do their job and if they arent then the army will help.

Both sides are hoping for a bloody nose so they can post it online.
    Oh look what those awful fascists/antifa lot did to me, boo hoo. I'm a real martyr for the cause so I am.

Idiots.

Do you support the use of force to detain people convicted of a crime?

By your logic, the police are just as bad as criminals, because sometimes they need to imprison people against their will.

Pretty stupid logic actually, and not rooted on the real world.

Problems dont often go away if you ignore them, to make the problem go away you have to address the actual problem (racism/homophobia/sexism in this case) rather than its effects (antifa).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The guards are well able to do their job and if they arent then the army will help.

The Gardaí didn't bother doing their job the previous week when struggling businesses and shoppers on Grafton St were forced into close contact with the anti-mask headbangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Find it hard to understand how you see any difference between a fascist mob and the self declared anti fascists.

Both are committed control freaks and push conformity to their respective beliefs. Both are equal threats to society. Both are deeply resentful to wider society, both revel in street violence and in group thinking, both are obsessed with symbolism.

Both lead to the same outcome for a society that they control.

The self declared anti fascists might usually have posher accents, but don't let that fool you, it has a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do you support the use of force to detain people convicted of a crime?

By your logic, the police are just as bad as criminals, because sometimes they need to imprison people against their will.

Pretty stupid logic actually, and not rooted on the real world.

Problems dont often go away if you ignore them, to make the problem go away you have to address the actual problem (racism/homophobia/sexism in this case) rather than its effects (antifa).

Relax, you're reading quite a lot into one post.

Fwiw and bearing the current conditions, organisers of both protests should have been fined €2,500.
    No one gets hurt, except in the pocket. They might think twice about another stunt.

Bashing heads in is only fodder for amateur smartphone filmmakers.

The Gardaí didn't bother doing their job the previous week when struggling businesses and shoppers on Grafton St were forced into close contact with the anti-mask headbangers.

yeah that is exactly how I feel when I see the guards not doing their job. if someone robs my house and the guards dont find them, I go looking for the thieves and take them to my house for questioning. if someone parks on double yellow lines, I get my tow truck and tow it away. if I see someone fighting on the street, I just wade in myself and give them a few slaps etc . that is how all normal people behave in a well functioning society. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Out causing issues for people going to work and school all last week.

Not 1 thing done about people breaking restrictions Saturday in Dublin City Centre.

Its no wonder a good % public dont respect them anymore

yeah that is exactly how I feel when I see the guards not doing their job. if someone robs my house and the guards dont find them, I go looking for the thieves and take them to my house for questioning. if someone parks on double yellow lines, I get my tow truck and tow it away. if I see someone fighting on the street, I just wade in myself and give them a few slaps etc . that is how all normal people behave in a well functioning society. :rolleyes:

We're not going to agree on things here since I believe your experience of life has been quite different to mine.

In your life perhaps, you have been given the luxury of being able to ignore the failings of the police force, in mine I have not, and some Internet discussion probably isn't going to change either of our views.

I wouldn't even call them "police failings" but rather "design flaws in the justice system", I mean, police are human too, they're expected to be all-powerful with infinite manpower, the way the law expects them to work.
    Its reminiscent of how in the school system, school teachers are supposed to be everywhere at once and able to stop things like bullying, but in the real world that's never going to happen unless the kids are able to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

xhomelezz wrote: »
    There you go OP, a bit of reading for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

And some for you too. [url=Liberal Fascism

Actually, if you can get through that tortuous tome all it should teach you is that the terms "left" and "right" are so interchangeable and redundant that they should be banned from any sort of intelligent or even common sense discourse.

Especially in civilised countries such as ours where most people recognise there are more than two sides to any problem. The world is three dimensional. Leave that sort of Manichean Mumbo Jumbo to stupid Anglo-Saxon countries (USA and UK) who are visibly in the throes of bipolar disorder. Which in the days before Political Correctness we used to call just plain crazy.

Danzy wrote: »
    Find it hard to understand how you see any difference between a fascist mob and the self declared anti fascists.

Both are committed control freaks and push conformity to their respective beliefs. Both are equal threats to society. Both are deeply resentful to wider society, both revel in street violence and in group thinking, both are obsessed with symbolism.

The self declared anti fascists might usually have posher accents, but don't let that fool you, it has a lot of people.

The problem as I see it is that the anti-fascists are "reacting" to the fascists, so by my logic, if you take away the fascists, the anti-fascists will dissipate by themselves as they have no further agenda.

Vigilantes didn't keep battling on in drug-dealer infested areas once the dealers were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I dont admire any political leaders. i don't need any heroes as I'm a big boy now and can tie my own shoelaces.

You admire political leaders? Saddo.

guess I support the irish government since I pay taxes here and I live here, although not "blindly" - if they do unfair or stupid things i dont support the unfair or stupid things.
    I dont feel the need to randomly support people or things to join a bandwagon.

You obviously support political leaders...i wont ask who you support because I don't care, but you obviously can't fathom people like me who will reject your authority - let me ask you a question - why do you feel the need to support any external government or politician? Are you scared on your own?

The only policital leader I have ever admired is John Hume, and would have supported what he stood for, there seems to be a great level of anger towards anyone who doesn't support Antifa blindly or there knuckle dragging methods of protest

And what is the army going to do?
    Suddenly mobilise out of thin air in an Apache helicopter every time a woman gets hit on the head with a piece of timber?

For bonus points, we could have Mr.T leaning out of the helicopter eating a snickers bar saying "GET SOME NUTS"

The only policital leader I have ever admired is John Hume, and would have supported what he stood for, there seems to be a great level of anger towards anyone who doesn't support Antifa blindly or there knuckle dragging methods of protest

You didn't answer the questions I asked, opting instead to answer the only question I didnt ask.
    I said I wasn't going to ask you who you supported, explaining that I didnt care, and you answered telling me who you supported.

Let me rephrase my question.

Why do you idolise another human? Is it because of some abject need to create an authority figure that you can hide behind, because you're scared on your own?
    Thats what leads to fascism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why do two groups of braindead, bored morons get so much attention?

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why do two groups of braindead, bored morons get so much attention?

Because they ended up highlighting some real problems in our society

We're not going to agree on things here since I believe your experience of life has been quite different to mine.

In your life perhaps, you have been given the luxury of being able to ignore the failings of the police force, in mine I have not, and some Internet discussion probably isn't going to change either of our views.

I wouldn't even call them "police failings" but rather "design flaws in the justice system", I mean, police are human too, they're expected to be all-powerful with infinite manpower, the way the law expects them to work.
    Its reminiscent of how in the school system, school teachers are supposed to be everywhere at once and able to stop things like bullying, but in the real world that's never going to happen unless the kids are able to defend themselves.

The police have been there for me anytime I needed them. They have helped me and I have helped them at times. we are lucky to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

That's all well and good but is sort of irrelevant to the point you made about the Gardaí being perfectly able to do their jobs.

They might be able but it often appears that they are unwilling. EG many reports from everywhere for years about them taking hours to show up to burglaries or anti-social behaviour. And the same last week in Dublin City Centre.

The optics are terrible. The striking Debenham workers were warned early in the pandemic and more recently the Gardaí were used to break up a picket. OTOH headbangers of various hues have been left free to do as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You didn't answer the questions I asked, opting instead to answer the only question I didnt ask.
    I said I wasn't going to ask you who you supported, explaining that I didnt care, and you answered telling me who you supported.

Let me rephrase my question.

Why do you idolise another human? Is it because of some abject need to create an authority figure that you can hide behind, because you're scared on your own?
    Thats what leads to fascism.

I admired John Hume for the selfless work he did on behalf of others, I don't idolise the Man. I don't see any harm in giving credit where credit is due, or where the fear is in that, not sure how I would hide behind an authority figure in another jurisdiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Deshawn wrote: »
    That may be where the chant "peado scum off our streets" originates from.

That, and the fact they counter protested an anti-paedophile march a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

That, and the fact they counter protested an anti-paedophile march NP/IFP promotional event a few months ago.

Let's be accurate.

The police have been there for me anytime I needed them. They have helped me and I have helped them at times. we are lucky to have them.

Lucky you.

I've no problem with the police, and I do think they try to do a good job in general.

However the reality for me has been that I've ended up surviving sometimes due to my own skills as the police help came too late, and sometimes due to luck (there's not much the police can do against stray bullets).
    To be honest while I cant really fault the police for not instantaneously being there as it would be humanly impossible, I do think the justice system is flawed since it assumes that everyone can lay back and the police have infinite manpower to track down all criminals and zero response time so that normal people don't need to be able to defend themselves.
    Both assumptions are so heavily flawed as to make a mockery of the whole system, you cant rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Because they ended up highlighting some real problems in our society

You overstate their mental capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Danzy wrote: »

The so called " anti fascists " ( a loaded term if ever there was one ) have plenty of friends in the media and the NGO sector, the other guy's have no friends anywhere who have power and influence

Advertisement