Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown review

Options
  • 11-10-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am looking to buy in Mount Garrett and wanted to have feedback from people living in the area

I know already about the usual issues teenagers, littering etc but other than that is it a safe place to live in ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Lot of renters, plenty of teenage related trouble, but nothing serious like what you get down the road in parts of Mulhuddart for example. Know some folks who own(ed) in there and none of them were really selling it when describing it, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I've had almost zero teenager trouble in 14 years living in Mount Garrett. Other then the likes of footballs hitting cars etc. but that's abated since most of the kids are that bit older now. Some houses could be better kept but on the whole most are reasonably well maintained. Mount Garrett is probably the best part of the estate, its quiet, there's no rat runs etc. The majority of residents where I am are owner occupiers and are here since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

Have been in Tyrrelstown 17 years trouble free.

Small pockets of the estate have had issues through the years usually caused by a few teens who either move on or grow up in time. You have to remember that it is a huge estate.( about 2400 units) It is the equivalent of 7 or 8 estates in one.

I honestly think it is a nice place to live. We have a nice group of neighbours and I walk the estate every day with the dog and it is usually very peaceful out and about. Even late at night I have had no issues.

If you get involved with the local residents group and just enjoy the place for what you make of it rather than listening to the moaners and critics on line you will have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

There's a major gang problem in tyrrelstown that obviously people who own property there don't like publicised as their property values will drop. A quick Google search will reveal all. There's a reason it's 1 of the cheapest parts of Dublin 15 to buy in. You get what you pay for. Do a Google search for "tyrrelstown gangs" if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

There's a major gang problem in tyrrelstown that obviously people who own property there don't like publicised as their property values will drop. A quick Google search will reveal all. There's a reason it's 1 of the cheapest parts of Dublin 15 to buy in. You get what you pay for. Do a Google search for "tyrrelstown gangs" if you don't believe me.

You obviously don't live in Tyrellstown... :rolleyes:

Don't mind this poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caroline0680

Avoid like the plague
    Could you please be more specific ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Do a Google search for "tyrrelstown gangs" if you don't believe me.

That stuff is from, 2010 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As a regular visitor rather than resident, the only issue I notice is woefully inadequate parking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Culture wars

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    That stuff is from, 2010 or so?

There was some more recent stuff involving taxi drivers. https://dublingazette.com/news/news-fingal/taxis-tyrellstown-98764/

I'd take the point that Tyrrelstown is a very large estate and I'd note that most of my personal interactions with it involve the shops, the park and what teenagers occasionally wander over our way to smoke weed and wreck the playground. Other than that, second hand stories from pals who've lived there. So I couldn't tell you for sure that living on a particular street is going to involve good or bad neighbors and my opinion is based on the general rather than specific. But it does feel as an outsider you need that insider knowledge of where to go and where not to in Tyrrelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sasta le wrote: »
    Culture wars
    Avoid like the plague

It's like a bat signal goes up to attract the morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caroline0680

VeVeX wrote: »
    I've had almost zero teenager trouble in 14 years living in Mount Garrett. Other then the likes of footballs hitting cars etc. but that's abated since most of the kids are that bit older now. Some houses could be better kept but on the whole most are reasonably well maintained. Mount Garrett is probably the best part of the estate, its quiet, there's no rat runs etc. The majority of residents where I am are owner occupiers and are here since day one.

I heard that there is burglary issue as well ? It happens everywhere for sure but is is quite often in Mount Garrett ?

I went on Friday for a walk and saw quite a lot of
    Police cars do you know what happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hurrache wrote: »

Probably don't even know where Tyrrelstown is let alone been in it

Could you please be more specific ? Thanks

I sent you a private message yesterday

Hurrache wrote: »

So it's moronic to advise OP not to move to a notoriously bad area that is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

The area is well run and it has pretty much the best value houses in Dublin. Quiet enough estate. Even 10 years ago when there was some trouble it was nothing major. Just a lot of social media hype mostly. Lots of good schools and good shops. Traffic around it is a lot less than the estates over towards ongar.
    The main drawback is the time it takes to get to town via public transport. If you don't work in town its a very good estate and you will get very good value for money.
    Certain people like to knock it as it has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than average but if you look at the government deprivation index the mean income in Tyrrelstown puts the residents in the above income average category for Ireland. Lots of people on good money are choosing to stay living in Tyrrelstown even though they could afford to move out.
    I don't live there any more as I was getting public transport to baggot Street and it took too long but the area has a lot going for it and the houses are quite large.

As was mentioned above the teenagers from the estate a few years ago are now mostly in their 20s and like Cabra or Stoneybatter the are has settled down massively.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Probably don't even know where Tyrrelstown is let alone been in it

I seriously don't get your agenda in defending the area, i am familiar with the area since it's been built and it's a shame the way it's turned out.

Vast majority of the area is social housing/rented and a huge percentage is to Africans (nothing wrong with that), the issue here is the children of those people lack any real identity to Ireland it seems and has resulted in a ruthless gang culture. You will actually hear London accents up that way even though the youths are not from or probably never even visited London, this is down to them trying to emulate gangsters/rappers based in London they follow online.

The amount of incidents that has occurred there in recent years is ridiculous, the garda have been woeful in handling it and it got so bad vigilantes were brought it at one stage to put a gang boss in his place.

Personally, i know of 2 people close to me who bought there and sold in recent years and lost a fortune but were just grateful to sell as the process took forever as barely any people were interested, the purchasers of said properties were not from Dublin and the other was not from Ireland, it is these people i feel sorry for, they see a somewhat aesthetic looking property in Dublin 15 and think they have got themselves a deal when in reality it will be a living hell.

The main stream media never report on these crimes as it's considered racist but a Google search still surprisingly produced pages of references to the gangs and criminality in the area, i've attached two links (From the Sun, i know but not much media reports this) and one video, do some more digging for yourself.

Articles from 2018:
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/2048259/schoolboy-gangs-who-are-terrorising-west-dublin-locals-and-targeting-taxi-drivers-being-left-to-run-amok-by-gardai/

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2065988/vicious-teenage-gang-nicknamed-the-pesties-carrying-out-attacks-on-delivery-men-and-taxi-drivers-in-west-dublin/

https://www.bitchute.com/video/ZIuM67ftzPR8/

There is a reason why property in this area is significantly cheaper than similar property in other areas of Dublin 15, even areas that are just up the road are much higher priced e.g Hollystown.

AlanG wrote: »
    The area is well run and it has pretty much the best value houses in Dublin. Quiet enough estate. Even 10 years ago when there was some trouble it was nothing major. Just a lot of social media hype mostly. Lots of good schools and good shops. Traffic around it is a lot less than the estates over towards ongar.
    The main drawback is the time it takes to get to town via public transport. If you don't work in town its a very good estate and you will get very good value for money.
    Certain people like to knock it as it has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than average but if you look at the government deprivation index the mean income in Tyrrelstown puts the residents in the above income average category for Ireland. Lots of people on good money are choosing to stay living in Tyrrelstown even though they could afford to move out.
    I don't live there any more as I was getting public transport to baggot Street and it took too long but the area has a lot going for it and the houses are quite large.

As was mentioned above the teenagers from the estate a few years ago are now mostly in their 20s and like Cabra or Stoneybatter the are has settled down massively.

Why are you lying to OP? The gang violence has actually got many times times worse than it was in 2010. You don't live there anymore so how would you know?

Why are you lying to OP? The gang violence has actually got many times times worse than it was in 2010. You don't live there anymore so how would you know?

They are not lying. Far from it and if you knew anything about the place other than the utter nonsense being spouted on here you wouldn't be pedalling this crap.

As someone who does live in Tyrrelstown and has done for 17 years and certainly someone who has been active in the residents associations and action groups in the area I have sat in on Garda area meetings aswell as D15 area groups. Tyrrelstown has no more and intact less issues than many areas in either Dublin 15 or other compatible areas.

I really struggle with understanding the negativety about the place. Maybe people don't like how ethnicly diverse the place is, it certainly isn't a typical Irish housing estate, is it that a good percentage are rentals ( many rented to health professionals amongst others ) . Yes there are social housing rentals in the estate but they are in virtually every other estate aswell.

Maybe the vocal people are the ones that didn't have a positive experience of the estate as crap seems to spread quicker than anything via social media.

What I will say is that instead of spouting a load of heresay and unsubstantiated rumour how about you get in your car and drive through estate. Have a look at the park, schools, the different areas of the estate and see for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Nonsense!

If you've *any* proof of that, please present it.

I've lived in and around Tyrrelstown since 2002 and the entire community is a lot calmer than it was a decade ago (when the issues were related to a couple of fairly poorly behaved families, who quickly enough moved on).

Tyrrelstown is a decent community, with lots of young families, four primary schools, a secondary school, fairly active sports scene and reasonable public transport access.

OP, the best thing you can do is head out there, park the car and spend a while wandering around. Unfortunately, looking for advice online unfortunately brings out all types of keyboard warrior cranks!

richardjjd wrote: »
    Nonsense!

I've lived in and around Tyrrelstown since 2002 and the entire community is a lot calmer than it was a decade ago (when the issues were related to a couple of fairly poorly behaved families, who quickly enough moved on).

Tyrrelstown is a decent community, with lots of young families, four primary schools, a secondary school, fairly active sports scene and reasonable public transport access.

OP, the best thing you can do is head out there, park the car and spend a while wandering around. Unfortunately, looking for advice online unfortunately brings out all types of keyboard warrior cranks!

Couldn't agree more. OP head on over at different times of the day, different days of the week. Wander around. Take a stroll around the particular area of the estate you are looking to buy in.

See the place through your own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hahahaha. A sure sign your a fan of certain Facebuke groups.

Nonsense!

I linked 2 links and a video in my post, just Google "tyrrelstown gangs", "tyrrelstown crime", " tyrrelstown violence" etc.

I have literally nothing to gain, i am simply advising the OP not to make a huge mistake.

Nonsense!

A colleague went to a viewing there last summer, parked the car and whilst walking up to the property with his family (wife, two daughters), a nearby gang of late teens started jumping up and down laughing like hyenas shouting "the blonde is mine" (referring to his 17year old daughter and other sexist slurs.

The place is a kip, why do i get the feeling that the only people defending it all own property there and therefore have a vested interest.

OP, i do not live there and have no ulterior motive, i am simply advising you what i know about the area and hope you don't make a terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Like I said, proof would be welcome. We can all tell tales of something that happened to someone else to reinforce a point.

OP ... head out there yourself. If you want someone to wander around with you, drop me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I don't own property in Tyrellstown and I don't live there either. I work up there though and there is literally zero trouble on weekend nights. You do have large groups of teens wandering the streets but they don't cause any trouble and I've never in the nearly three years I've worked there had any trouble from them.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I don't own property in Tyrellstown and I don't live there either. I work up there though and there is literally zero trouble on weekend nights. You do have large groups of teens wandering the streets but they don't cause any trouble and I've never in the nearly three years I've worked there had any trouble from them.

My experience is quite a bit different. Regular trouble from them. A few weekends back I was getting some food in the chipper, queuing outside, and a few lads climbed up the outside of the building at the Chinese and in an open window of an apartment and set off the fire alarm for the entire block. Then threatened two women who came out with young kids who were giving out yards about it. Just as an example of probably abnormally disruptive behaviour. I’m not sure it’s accurate to say they are no trouble, just as it wouldn’t be accurate to say they’re chasing one another around in a bloody gang war either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

The aggressiveness of those defending the area on here (presumably residents or property owners in tyrrelstown) - calling anyone with an opposing view (that happens to be well documented over the last 10 years thanks to news websites, Google and social media) morons, etc speaks volumes about the type of people who live there. Well done, you've inadvertently proven my point.

• Advertisement

The aggressiveness of those defending the area on here (presumably residents or property owners in tyrrelstown) - calling anyone with an opposing view (that happens to be well documented over the last 10 years thanks to news websites, Google and social media) morons, etc speaks volumes about the type of people who live there. Well done, you've inadvertently proven my point.

Very true, i find it quite bizarre even people who work there are so quick to defend the area with blatant lies.

If they had their way all articles that paint the area in it's realistic form would be removed from the internet, truly bizarre behavior to downplay all the criminality in the area, lie to OP and potentially convince OP to make a huge decision they would regret and perhaps ruin their financial and emotional life. My money is on these posters owning property in the area.

Advertisement