Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting skinny from cycling

Options
  • 11-10-2020 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Got the cycling bug a few years ago and really enjoy it but was wondering what are the best exercises to build up a bit as i feel am getting a bit skinny .Something to do at home obviously at this time would be very helpful thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I wish I had that problem

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Well the first stop would be to eat more. If you’re getting too skinny and you decide to do more exercise than you are just going to get skinnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I sadly assumed this would be a 'how to' thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Eat more food.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I train kickboxing and I'm stocky enough/well built.i use to be skinny but now I'm stocky.

Sit ups, chin ups, push ups, pull ups, planks, punching out with 2kg weights for one minute, jumping Jack's, bicycles, leg raises, etc. Buy a cord with resistance and look on YouTube how to do different exercises with that arms and legs.

Eat loads of food high in fats etc and put on a bit of weight but obviously not to the point you are overweight. You don't need to spend 1000s on weights and benches etc. Half them weight lifters couldn't run a mile without being out of breath. My core strenght would be strong which is great for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

I would have thought that its very hard to bulk up if you are doing a lot of cycling. A big part of building muscle is eating, so cycling is kind of counterintuitive in that you are burning off a lot of those calories. Maybe just focus on eating a bit more and see how you get on. Sounds like a fun "exercise" to me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just keep it simple...

Monday
    Back
    Deadlifts, 4 sets – 6-12 reps
    Barbell rows, 3 sets – 10-12 reps
    T-bar rows, 3 sets – 10 – 12 reps
    One-arm dumbbell rows, 3 sets 10-12 reps
    Biceps
    Barbell curls, 4 sets -12 reps
    Seated alternating dumbbell curls, 12 reps
    Preacher curls, 12 reps
    Cable curls, 12 reps
    Shoulders
    Military presses, 4 sets – 10-12 reps
    Seated dumbbell press, 4 sets – 12 reps
    (superset with)
    Front dumbbell press, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Tuesday
    Legs
    Squats, 5-6 sets – 2-12 reps
    Leg presses, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Lunges, 2 sets – 100 yards
    Stiff-leg deadlifts, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Seated hamstring curls, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Wednesday
    Chest
    Bench press, 5 sets – 12 reps
    Incline barbell press, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Flat bench dumbbell press, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Flat bench flyes, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Triceps
    Seated cambered-bar extensions, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Seated dumbbell extensions, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Close-grip bench press, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Thursday
    Back Barbell rows, 5 sets – 10 – 12 reps
    Low Pulley Rows, 4 sets – 10 – 12 reps
    Lat machine pulldowns, 3 sets – 10 – 12 reps
    Front lat pulldowns, 3 sets – 10 – 12 reps
    Biceps
    Incline alternating dumbbell curls, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Machine curls, 3 sets – 12 reps
    (superset with)
    Standing cable curls, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Shoulders
    Seated dumbbell press, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Front lateral dumbbell raises, 3 sets – 8 – 25 reps
    Machine raises, 3 sets – 8 – 25 reps
    Friday
    Legs
    Leg extensions, 4 sets – 30 reps
    Front squats, 4 sets – 12 – 15 reps
    Hack squats, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Standing leg curls, 3 sets – 12 – 15 reps
    Lying leg curls, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Saturday
    Chest
    Incline dumbbell press, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Decline barbell press, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Incline dumbbell flyes, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Decline dumbbell press, 3 sets – 12 reps
    Triceps
    Skullcrushers, 4 sets – 12 reps
    (superset with)
    Machine pressdown dips, 4 sets – 12 reps
    (superset with)
    Seated tricep extensions, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Calves
    Donkey raises, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Seated raises, 4 sets – 12 reps
    Crunches, 3 sets – failure
    Sunday
    Rest

Simple diet...

10:00 a.m. – 3 to 5 grams of L-Arginine supplement

10:30 a.m. – ¾ cup grits with cheese, 2 cups egg whites, 1 cup coffee
    Pre-workout (12:30 p.m.) – 1 serving of pre-workout supplements, 3-5 grams L-Arginine
    Post-workout – 1 serving of BCAA

4 p.m. – Two 8oz chicken breasts, 1 ½ cups brown rice, 1 ½ cups red beans, 2 pieces cornbread

6:30 p.m. – 3 to 5 grams of L-Arginine

7 p.m. – Two 8oz chicken breasts, 1 medium-sized baked potato

10:00 p.m. – 9oz filet mignon, 5oz chicken breasts, 1 medium-sized baked potato, French fries, 8oz pink lemonade

12 a.m. – 1 serving of BCAA

1:30 a.m. – 4 scoops of whey blend

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Thanks velo that looks easy peasy i will start straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think someone posted a similar thread about cycling and the gym a few years ago, and I posted something like that. One guy actually believed I did that weight training and cycled!

Anyway, have a read of this.
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    Popular with cyclists and those starting out with some weight training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Doc07

Pink lemonade 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From personal experience and for balance, if you are experiencing unexplained or unintentional weight loss, you should seek professional medical advice.

I'm not suggesting or implying that the OP is getting skinny in an unexplained fashion - I'm just throwing it out there as it's worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Eat more chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

crosstownk wrote: »
    From personal experience and for balance, if you are experiencing unexplained or unintentional weight loss, you should seek professional medical advice.

I'm not suggesting or implying that the OP is getting skinny in an unexplained fashion - I'm just throwing it out there as it's worth bearing in mind.

+1 on this...

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Eat more chips.

I know you're just being smart so I'm not having a dig at you but worth mentioning as well is that you can exorcise and be at your recommended weight to height etc and still end up with high cholesterol depending on your diet so fried meals and saturates etc. might not be such a good idea.

I'm not that conscious of my diet as I eat reasonably ok but high cholesterol is something of a family thing for me so do need to keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Many thanks for the replies I did tidy up my diet big time and combined with covid I had time to do more cycling than other years .I am not overly concerned yet but when the weather changes a bit that will cut me back on the long weekend cycles so I usually go back up in weight near the end of the year .Still would like to build up a bit of muscle if I can .

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Many thanks for the replies I did tidy up my diet big time and combined with covid I had time to do more cycling than other years .I am not overly concerned yet but when the weather changes a bit that will cut me back on the long weekend cycles so I usually go back up in weight near the end of the year .Still would like to build up a bit of muscle if I can .

Press ups, pulls ups etc as I mentioned earlier. There are apps on Google play that set out plans for you based on your current ability.
    Make sure if you are doing press ups, you work on your back also with chin ups, pull ups.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I think adding in a bit of resistance training and upper body work as a balance to cycling makes a lot of sense, regardless of the weight thing. Kettlebells for me as they offer a great variety of options and are cheap and compact. For me the weight struggle is keeping in the upper end of my healthy BMI and is more about diet than exercise, that said my weight also fluctuates a fair bit and am heavier over the Winter which I don't think of as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thread reminds me of an interview with a chap from Limerick who won the 'World's Strongest Man' competition.

He said the hardest part of it was eating steak non stop - 8 steaks per day or something like that.

He had to eat steak last thing at night before going to bed, and hated it.

Advertisement