Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Toshiba satellite laptop

Options
  • 11-10-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello, got this laptop on an auction and it's running Windows, on left side it's got one SATA USB which is working and giving out power and on right it's got two USB ports beside each other which are not working as can't use my wireless mouse or charger my phone and when I chatted to seller they said these two USB ports don't give out any power so it that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

jenalone wrote: »
    Hello, got this laptop on an auction and it's running Windows, on left side it's got one SATA USB which is working and giving out power and on right it's got two USB ports beside each other which are not working as can't use my wireless mouse or charger my phone and when I chatted to seller they said these two USB ports don't give out any power so it that correct?
    The wireless mouse should still be detected. Have you done a full reset since you bought it and updated all the drivers from the toshiba website?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All working USB ports should supply power, its in the USB specifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power-related_specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

DopeTech wrote: »
    The wireless mouse should still be detected. Have you done a full reset since you bought it and updated all the drivers from the toshiba website?

Ok but seller told me the Esata USB is a combination port is different to the standard USB ports , it's not a stand alone , drivers seem ok for the two USB ports but just seem dead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SATA USB ..... dunno what this is.

This is a previously owned and used laptop?

Regarding the two USB ports ..... if the seller said they are not working properly (no power out) then it seems to be a known problem with that laptop.

Were you not informed of this before you bought it?

In case it is an operating system problem I suggest you run a Live Linux and see if the two USB ports work correctly.

eSata USB combo ports should also provide power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

Inquitus wrote: »
    eSata USB combo ports should also provide power.

It's the E SATA port on the left that is providing the power and the two standard USB ports on the right are not and the seller told me the ports are different and we're working but they're not.

Go into device manager and see what it says about those USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Usb ports provide 500ma of power ,i use a 1.5 amp or a 2amp 5v charger to charge my phone.
    charging a phone 90 per cent from usb takes too long.
    if im not at home i use a 4000,ma power bank to charge my phone .
    power bank 4000 ma cost 10 euro in most electronics shop,s ,moore street etc
    if the seller told you to usb ports do not work you have no right to complain.
    i use 1 usb port to charge my mp3 player .as it input power is 500 ma .
    https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-Your-Computer-Has-USB-2.0-Ports
    usb 2 older ports output 5ooma.

usb 3 ports can output 900 ma. 5volts

go to menu,

control panel, device manager.
    see what usb ports are listed,
    click on them,
    it should say this device is working properly.

most phone chargers are 1.5amp 5v or 2amp 5v 5volts

i have an android phone 12 months old.
    i prefer to just use the charger that came in the box with the phone.
    it charges the phone in 70 minutes approx.

Advertisement