Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »

Back to the nurses being a scourge that get too many holidays. Wasnt long. Lovely people in FF/FG/Greens

Fair play to Josepha.

Staying late to punch down on those frontline workers.

https://twitter.com/josephamadigan/status/1334248419406254083?s=19

She's getting hammered (not like the night out with Maria) on twitter and rightly so. Out of touch with people or doesn't give a ****. Neither a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What's the split side to this? They were supposed to pay them, now they are not. I'm only seeing activists posting about it on twitter. No government comments and the media haven't picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fair play to Josepha.

Staying late to punch down on those frontline workers.

https://twitter.com/josephamadigan/status/1334248419406254083?s=19

The comparison with a student nurse working through the night...what was she thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What's the split side to this? They were supposed to pay them, now they are not. I'm only seeing activists posting about it on twitter. No government comments and the media haven't picked up on it.
    Just the usual FFG lie,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Too late for the media to pick up on it. The government will be hoping it will be buried overnight. I am hoping those student nurses walk off the job now. In this day and age expecting them to work for free. The politicians can cut their own pay and use that cut to pay the student nurses and midwives.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Too late for the media to pick up on it. The government will be hoping it will be buried overnight. I am hoping those student nurses walk off the job now. In this day and age expecting them to work for free. The politicians can cut their own pay and use that cut to pay the student nurses and midwives.

Or cut those advisors. Tripping over each other now that there's so many of them.

While they feign morals regarding their take on a tweet they're voting to not pay nurses. Thats them all over. Morals and ethics are only of use when trying to score political points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/who-gets-nhs-staff-bonus-19376455
    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced details of a well-earned bonus payment for frontline lifesavers and care-givers
    More than 300,000 people will benefit from the healthcare worker bonus announced by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon on Monday.
    The Scottish Government are investing around £180million in order to reward the work of "frontline care-givers and lifesavers" during the Covid-19 pandemic with a one-off payment of £500.
    This payment will be made as "soon as is practicable" and before the end of the financial year in April...

But who exactly qualifies for the bonus? Here's a full list of the workers who'll be awarded the payment.
    • Employees who have worked in NHS since 17 March but who have since left, retired or have had to shield
    • Staff who accepted and worked temporary contracts for NHS since 17 March to aid pandemic response, but have since left – including students who have since returned to university.....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

As far as I can gather, the student nurses that were on placement during March got paid €14 per hour until the end of their internship.

From the INMOs salary scale they list a student nurses salary of €15k for 39 weeks so I'm a bit confused why some are saying they aren't paid, or maybe someone who is closer knows this salary scale doesnt cover them?

Link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.inmo.ie/attachment.aspx%3Fdoc%3D5243&ved=2ahUKEwiM0NW10LDtAhURuHEKHc5PAAsQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3kAv7M7drJm0v0ASkFixFP

• Advertisement

Amazing really. Shinners on the ropes and they come out with this. Cutting nurses wages during a medical crisis. 3 Wicklow TDs including Harris and Donnelly went against them. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

At this stage, the FFG government should have a compulsory DNR notice slapped on it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MAC addict

fiload wrote: »
    As far as I can gather, the student nurses that were on placement during March got paid €14 per hour until the end of their internship.

From the INMOs salary scale they list a student nurses salary of €15k for 39 weeks so I'm a bit confused why some are saying they aren't paid, or maybe someone who is closer knows this salary scale doesnt cover them?

Link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.inmo.ie/attachment.aspx%3Fdoc%3D5243&ved=2ahUKEwiM0NW10LDtAhURuHEKHc5PAAsQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3kAv7M7drJm0v0ASkFixFP
    They were only paid the €14, which is the HCA pay rate after pressure was put on them too, it was then tried to be taken from the interns until the union stepped in.
    But the new interns who go out in January will only be paid €10.80 an hour or slightly less.
    I’m currently a 3rd year student nurse. I’m on 17 weeks placement and we’re not allowed to work in other healthcare units as most of us do, on top of placement, to pay bills etc. Due to the risks of cross infection of covid.
    So the added bonus of being unemployed too so what little money we could get is completely gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

MAC addict wrote: »
    They were only paid the €14, which is the HCA pay rate after pressure was put on them too, it was then tried to be taken from the interns until the union stepped in.
    But the new interns who go out in January will only be paid €10.80 an hour or slightly less.
    I’m currently a 3rd year student nurse. I’m on 17 weeks placement and we’re not allowed to work in other healthcare units as most of us do, on top of placement, to pay bills etc. Due to the risks of cross infection of covid.
    So the added bonus of being unemployed too so what little money we could get is completely gone too.

Thanks for the info!
    What's the story with the 17 weeks, strictly 9-5 or can ye do overtime or nights?
    Can I ask if you think the placement is taking up some of the slack or is more time put into ye than the hospital gets out?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MAC addict

fiload wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!
    What's the story with the 17 weeks, strictly 9-5 or can ye do overtime or nights?
    Can I ask if you think the placement is taking up some of the slack or is more time put into ye than the hospital gets out?

I wish. You have your own case load of patients that you have to provide total care etc for.
    It’s 12/13hr shifts- you are working and are generally used to fill shortage gaps tbh. It’s not like work exp were you just shadow. You’ve to literally get in and work or else you’ll fail the placement and you have to repeat it or you won’t be able to progress to the next year.
    The 17 weeks is just one block this year, we also have 10 weeks in the summer starting in June and then 9month internship in year 4.
    We also have assignments etc while out on placement too and then we have other projects for the actual placement too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Simon Harris really is some piece of work. What he says and what he does are two completely different things. He is all marketing and platitudes. At least he was able to vote in favor of giving TD's a payrise I suppose.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1333057366342971397?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Thanks for all your hard work during the pandemic but you can f**k off if you think you're getting paid for it - just goes to show what politicians really think of frontline healthcare workers.

All the usual FFG bots will spend the day hiding on a SF thread somewhere after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

grayzer75 wrote:
    Thanks for all your hard work during the pandemic but you can f**k off if you think you're getting paid for it - just goes to show what politicians really think of frontline healthcare workers.

Ah shur, the round of applause is enough, maybe they can give the bank or the landlord a clap when that money's due, or when they're doing the weekly shop, can't see any issues there!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah shur, the round of applause is enough, maybe they can give the bank or the landlord a clap when that money's due, or when they're doing the weekly shop, can't see any issues there!

A lot of them probably have landlords who voted against paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Simon Harris really is some piece of work. What he says and what he does are two completely different things. He is all marketing and platitudes. At least he was able to vote in favor of giving TD's a payrise I suppose.

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1333057366342971397?s=19

Simon Harris is despised within the HSE. He achieved nothing as minister for health. The trolley crisis this time last year hit record levels. He actually was responsible for the fall of the government in January (confidence vote) which resulted in a terrible election for FG on Feb 8th. Those are weasel words.

Remember this Simon? https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Comedy club coming up now on Newstalk as they discuss the clusterfcuk that was Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

On paper, paying student nurses looks like the easiest win for a relative pittance.

We need a premier league footballer to embarrass someone into decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

elefant wrote: »
    On paper, paying student nurses looks like the easiest win for a relative pittance.

We need a premier league footballer to embarrass someone into decency.

What we've got is the FG crowd trying to use Varadkar's sexual orientation as a deflection device.

As usual it isn't working. Harris and Leo getting a deserved hammering for last night.

Harris in particular for his promise that student nurses would be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

What we've got is the FG crowd trying to use Varadkar's sexual orientation as a deflection device.

As usual it isn't working. Harris and Leo getting a deserved hammering for last night.

Not sure why Harris is getting a doing. He's not Minister for Health anymore and the student nurses were paid during the initial lockdown earlier this year as they were moved to a HCA role, as he promised. This years students are back doing regular placements, hence why it has reverted back to the default approach.

Whether that's right or wrong is a different question (personally I think student nurses should get some level of pay, whilst also acknowledging they are just learning their trade at that point so shouldn't be on a regular nurses scale), however can't see why Harris is being dragged through the mud.

People on social media love a bit of outrage I suppose, who cares about the facts when twitter is based on likes, retweets and trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So that was why Leo was talking about this at the parliamentary party meeting just to deflect away from what he knew would be an unpopular vote in the Dail later. Some piece of work and you had madigan tweeting about working late to vote on this. Are these people in cloud cuckoo land? Harris should be destroyed for this. He is an awful weasel

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Not sure why Harris is getting a doing. He's not Minister for Health anymore and the student nurses were paid during the initial lockdown earlier this year as they were moved to a HCA role, as he promised. This years students are back doing regular placements, hence why it has reverted back to the default approach.

Whether that's right or wrong is a different question (personally I think student nurses should get some level of pay, whilst also acknowledging they are just learning their trade at that point so shouldn't be on a regular nurses scale), however can't see why Harris is being dragged through the mud.

People on social media love a bit of outrage I suppose, who cares about the facts when twitter is based on likes, retweets and trends.

Don't bring facts into a debate where a mob have a target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

blanch152 wrote: »

The facts are.
    - 26th March, the then Minister for Health Simon Harris announced that student nurses would be paid for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis

DURATION OF THE COVID-19 CRISIS

-2nd December, the ex Minister for Health voted AGAINST paying student nurses.

Spin that anyway you want. A Scumbag!!

I hope every single Student Nurse is Ireland, says well fair enough and dont turn upto work one day next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What facts sorry?

"Student nurses will be paid during Covid-19 crisis
    Updated / Thursday, 26 Mar 2020 19:52
    Simon Harris made the announcement over nurses this afternoon
    By Aisling Kenny
    Minister for Health Simon Harris has announced that student nurses will be paid for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis.

In a statement this evening, the minister said student nurses and midwives will be offered a contract as a Healthcare Assistant and be paid for their work.

He said this will allow students to complete their placement and continue to complete the course.

Student nurses are being asked to apply online through HSE.ie/oncall.

The minister said: "This is an offer and not an obligation. But I know so many of our student nurses want to play their role as we navigate our way through these difficult times.

"Our healthcare professionals have shown immense leadership and I will do everything I can to support them."

He paid tribute to nurses working in hospitals saying they had shown immense leadership in these difficult times and said we need all hands on deck.

Earlier this week, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said the Government was examining the issue of student nurses working in hospitals during the Covid-19 emergency and not getting paid."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0326/1126621-student-nurses/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The facts are.
    - 26th March, the then Minister for Health Simon Harris announced that student nurses would be paid for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis

DURATION OF THE COVID-19 CRISIS

-2nd December, the ex Minister for Health voted AGAINST paying student nurses.

Spin that anyway you want. A Scumbag!!

I hope every single Student Nurse is Ireland, says well fair enough and dont turn upto work one day next week
    What facts sorry?

"Student nurses will be paid during Covid-19 crisis
    Updated / Thursday, 26 Mar 2020 19:52
    By Aisling Kenny
    Minister for Health Simon Harris has announced that student nurses will be paid for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis.

In a statement this evening, the minister said student nurses and midwives will be offered a contract as a Healthcare Assistant and be paid for their work.

He said this will allow students to complete their placement and continue to complete the course.

Student nurses are being asked to apply online through HSE.ie/oncall.

The minister said: "This is an offer and not an obligation. But I know so many of our student nurses want to play their role as we navigate our way through these difficult times.

"Our healthcare professionals have shown immense leadership and I will do everything I can to support them."

He paid tribute to nurses working in hospitals saying they had shown immense leadership in these difficult times and said we need all hands on deck.

Earlier this week, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said the Government was examining the issue of student nurses working in hospitals during the Covid-19 emergency and not getting paid."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0326/1126621-student-nurses/

It was clearly set out in this post - the difference between working and work placement.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

It was clearly set out in this post - the difference between working and work placement.

Student nurses on placement WILL be paid for duration of Covid-19 crisis

HEALTH MINISTER SIMON Harris has said that student nurses and midwives completing placements during the Covid-19 outbreak will be paid.

Hundreds of student nurses across the country are set to begin their unpaid work placements this month and some have already started.

Although this is a common practice – doing unpaid work to earn enough hours to become fully qualified – the public health crisis affecting the country led to calls for this to be changed.

Harris has now confirmed that all student nurses and midwives will be offered a contract as a healthcare assistant (HCA) and be paid accordingly. HCAs are paid €28,000 a year.

FACTS FACTS FACTS

He is getting flack as he said the above, and then voted against it. Cant be too hard to understand why he is getting flack

P.S If you think its only people on social media outraged, you have another thing coming. Everybodys talking about it this morning saying its a scandal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement