Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Please note I am all for nurses getting a pay rise. They are the ones doing the work here and lets not forget that.

It's like the auld "I'm not being racist, but" line.

Student nurses do work, just ask their colleagues in the hospitals. All frontline staff are busting their bollox and should get the financial recognition for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

McMurphy wrote: »
    So they never got paid except that time they did in fact get paid. Wut:confused:

Seldom you see a poster contradict themselves in successive sentences, but slow hand clap for good auld solution king, shefwedfan will never be missed while you're still around. :D

Time to put a few posters on mute. They're just lying non stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can't think of any other virus which shut down the world's economy SK.

So you think a nurse doesn't have to worry about any other virus? she walks into work in the morning and says "Ahh sure I don't need to care abotu HIV because it didn't shut down the World economy?"
    I doubt a nurse thinks that, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Based on the comments across Twitter the issue now seems that every Student or apprentice wants to get paid. This is f**king hilarious. Really the new generation is going to crash and burn.

I see you are thinking of looking for a new role. Maybe the new company shouldn't pay you till you get up to full speed first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not exactly someone I agree with normally, but Ewan McKenna hits the nail on the head here;
    Think about this. While family members got non-tendered contracts around zero-hour contracts for nurses, while student nurses were put on front line of pandemic and then told it was for free, same TDs behind it gave themselves pay rises. These bastards need a brutal wake-up call.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    So they never got paid except that time they did in fact get paid. Wut:confused:

Seldom you see a poster contradict themselves in successive sentences, but slow hand clap for good auld solution king, . :D

Oh wiat another baiting post. Quelle surprise. Maybe try to discuss the topic.

So you think a nurse doesn't have to worry about any other virus? she walks into work in the morning and says "Ahh sure I don't need to care abotu HIV because it didn't shut down the World economy?"
    I doubt a nurse thinks that, do you?

She now has to worry about spreading a virus that can kill and no cure for it right now.

Never had that concern before

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

grayzer75 wrote: »
    It's like the auld "I'm not being racist, but" line.

Why are you bringing Brian Stanley's latest excuse into this discussion?

She now has to worry about spreading a virus that can kill and no cure for it right now.

Never had that concern before

Are you actually serious?

Just think about that for a few mins and come back to me.

Student nurses ALWAYS do work experience. This is nothing new. They are always ptu onto wards and seen as a extra pair of hands to help the nurses. NOTHING has changed.

They never got paid before, this is clear before they start the course. What is so confusing about this?

Just because they never got paid before makes it right now.

Same sex marriages weren't always allowed but are now, thank god

• Advertisement

Are you actually serious?

Just think about that for a few mins and come back to me.

You come back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »

Stay off the mushrooms.

Just because they never got paid before makes it right now.

Same sex marriages weren't always allowed but are now, thank god

Then that is a discussion, you also need to consisder all the other students who don't get paid, get the exact tax bill it is going to cost and vote on it. Lets see how many people want it when they are taking a huge cut of wages.

You come back to me

Nah you made the statement. Tell us how a nurse never had to walk in prior to covid and worry about a non cureable disease. No problem waiting

Can you come back to my question in post 3308 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Then that is a discussion, you also need to consisder all the other students who don't get paid, get the exact tax bill it is going to cost and vote on it. Lets see how many people want it when they are taking a huge cut of wages.

They were able to pull €12, 000,000 out of their ar$e pocket 2 weeks ago for greyhounds.
    I'd value a nurse more.
    You obviously don't SK.

Can you name the other student sectors?

They were able to pull €12, 000,000 out of their ar$e pocket 2 weeks ago for greyhounds.
    I'd value a nurse more.
    You obviously don't SK.

And just remember they were so worried about their own safety the convention center had to be booked out. Of course they STILL managed to fit in the summer recess. Marvelous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh wiat another baiting post. Quelle surprise. Maybe try to discuss the topic.

I'm discussing your post about the subject, you said, "student nurses never got paid, except the time they got paid"......

By the way, I've never ever been in Ulaanbaatar in my life, except that time I was there backpacking.

If you think I'm baiting you - report me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    There's clear bias in your post with the name calling, so not sure if there is any point in engaging in a back and forth here. If you think they are scumbags then you're not exactly going to look at the facts of the matter and form a coherent debate.

From Simons mouth, To expect students to enter that area without pay, it’s unrealistic and unfair.

2nd Dec he voted against doing the above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Really these student don't really understand what is going on

Meanwhile, final-year student nurse Áine said she is on her ‘supernumerary placement’ which means that she is supposed to be there, “purely to be taught, to observe and to learn.”

“When the hospital environment is so busy, when the staff are so stressed, the opportunities for learning decrease significantly and the opportunity to ask questions disappears,” she said.

“You are there as an extra pair of hands and you’re used as an extra pair of hands so we should have some sort of financial compensation for that.

Hate to tell Aine but a student nurse in her final year was always seen as an extra member of staff, it was never to swan around doing nothing and asking the odd question.

That's right SK you go after the nurses to defend your team. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can you name the other student sectors?

Student work placements are everywhere

https://www.wit.ie/about_wit/industry_links/work_placement2

"Almost 80% of courses at WIT have a large, credit-bearing element of work placement, international study, new venture initiative or community service"
    /

https://extendedcampus.cit.ie/studentworkplacement

"This commitment to student development means that each year approximately 2000 students, from a broad range of disciplines, are placed in organisations across Munster and beyond."

https://www.tudublin.ie/for-students/career-development-centre/work-placements/

https://www.dkit.ie/about-dkit/dkit-careers-service/placement-office/about-work-placements.html

"Work placement is a central feature of a number of programmes of study across DkIT, where students participate in a structured and assessed period of work experience in a relevant professional setting."

Essentially, it is harder to name a sector where student work placement doesn't take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If she is doing work she should be paid.

When I did my third placement in college in IT, we got paid.

What's the difference?

Sadly, they're helping save lives and applauded by ministers and then shat on by ministers.

Student work placements are everywhere

https://www.wit.ie/about_wit/industry_links/work_placement2

"Almost 80% of courses at WIT have a large, credit-bearing element of work placement, international study, new venture initiative or community service"
    /

https://extendedcampus.cit.ie/studentworkplacement

"This commitment to student development means that each year approximately 2000 students, from a broad range of disciplines, are placed in organisations across Munster and beyond."

https://www.tudublin.ie/for-students/career-development-centre/work-placements/

https://www.dkit.ie/about-dkit/dkit-careers-service/placement-office/about-work-placements.html

"Work placement is a central feature of a number of programmes of study across DkIT, where students participate in a structured and assessed period of work experience in a relevant professional setting."

Essentially, it is harder to name a sector where student work placement doesn't take place.

Yeah I went to WIT and i did work experience and got paid for it.

So name the other sectors where they don't get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nah you made the statement. Tell us how a nurse never had to walk in prior to covid and worry about a non cureable disease. No problem waiting

We probably weren't "all in it together" then though.

Bowie wrote: »
    Sadly, they're helping save lives and applauded by ministers and then shat on by ministers.

In fairness I was helping to keep pubs open :)

They would be paid for the duration of the crisis where they are working as HCAs. Be honest and set the full facts out.

They are not now working as HCAs, hence they are not being paid. It really is a success story the way the HSE has adapted to the Covid-19 crisis and doesn't need the same level of assistance from student nurses in December that it did in March.

Just in case there's any doubt that you are lying as Harris lied.

"Harris has now confirmed that all student nurses and midwives will be offered a contract as a healthcare assistant (HCA) and be paid accordingly. HCAs are paid €28,000 a year"

https://www.thejournal.ie/student-nurses-5058882-Mar2020/

Be honest and set the full facts out indeed.

Bowie wrote: »
    That's right SK you go after the nurses to defend your team. Good man.

Maybe read the thread before throwing around accusation. Post #3323
    I 100% support the nurses and any poltician that I talk to I will always put a case forward for increased pay, especially in a time like this. So maybe you can retract that statement please?
    Not sure who "your team" refers to either?

I'd value a nurse more.
    You obviously don't SK.

Again I refer to post #3323 so can you please retract that statement.

If you don't bother reading the thread I suggest you stop throwing out accusations.

It terms of the layout of budget I have no idea why the government supports Greyhound racing. I am sure some people question why they support GAA and rugby etc.

I am more concerned that a Dublin TD thinks it is ok to swear that they have to get full expenses during lockdown. Would that not concern you more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This time last year 95% of INMO nurses and midwives balloted to go on strike.
    They did so around the election in February.
    On Feb 7th he said 'Hospitals will become dangerous and a risk to patients if nurses continue with their strike action'.
    Harris was absolutely clueless at the time.
    His tenure as minister for health was an utter failure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement