Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Bias reporting favouring certain Govt parties

Really? have you watched RTE since the election? not sure how anyone could say it is biased towards the government. If anything it could be accused of the opposite

Do SF have a policy to shut down RTE = on the basis of actual research of their policy...No. they don't.

FG do want to 'regulate' independent journalist outlets. After it exposed wrongdoing by it's leader.

Which one is more sinister in your book?

You never answered the question by the way, a statement was made from SF threatening RTE, you think this is ok?

Please provide a link to this regulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You never answered the question by the way, a statement was made from SF threatening RTE, you think this is ok?

Please provide a link to this regulate.

A statement was made by a SF councilor on Facebook SK. Are you saying that if a councilor makes a statement it is party policy...therefore I offer Billy Kellegher again, threatening to curb RTE if they wouldn't do what he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I didn't defend him, I asked for you to show me where he was convicted of been a rapist. Read the thread.

Are you saying this lady lied to the press?

You also said it was the wrong thread yet here you are trying to wedge SF in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A great read here from a student nurse.

"In recent talks with one Fine Gael TD, he told me “I certainly agree that you should be paid for your work”. He then proceeded to vote for nursing students to remain unpaid.

I brought this up with him and he told me that he “didn’t support the Solidarity-People Before Profit (PBP) campaign and their motion”, which was, to simply pay student nurses and midwives."

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1335128020634333195?s=19

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    A great read here from a student nurse.

"In recent talks with one Fine Gael TD, he told me “I certainly agree that you should be paid for your work”. He then proceeded to vote for nursing students to remain unpaid.

I brought this up with him and he told me that he “didn’t support the Solidarity-People Before Profit (PBP) campaign and their motion”, which was, to simply pay student nurses and midwives."

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1335128020634333195?s=19

Would love to hear the reason. Fiscal responsibility? :):)

A statement was made by a SF councilor on Facebook SK. Are you saying that if a councilor makes a statement it is party policy...therefore I offer Billy Kellegher again, threatening to curb RTE if they wouldn't do what he wanted.

Bit of a circle Francie, again do you understand the idea of reduction v shut down? I am sure most parties have discussed about reductions in RTE and making them stay in budget The point about 2FM is 100% correct as I already have said.

If you are saying FF and FG comments are policy then the SF is policy. So again the question. How do you feel about SF making threats to shut down RTE?

Bit of a circle Francie, again do you understand the idea of reduction v shut down? I am sure most parties have discussed about reductions in RTE and making them stay in budget The point about 2FM is 100% correct as I already have said.

If you are saying FF and FG comments are policy then the SF is policy. So again the question. How do you feel about SF making threats to shut down RTE?

Ffs.
    Kelleher got shut up by Micheal Martin because it WASNT FF policy. A TD having a huff does not decide policy.
    A councilor on FB does not decide policy.

Cheeses christ.

Ffs.
    Kelleher got shut up by Micheal Martin because it WASNT FF policy. A TD having a huff does not decide policy.
    A councilor on FB does not decide policy.

Cheeses christ.

OK so we are not talking about SF

Do you think it is right for a political party, any party to threaten to shut down a national broadcaster if they run less than positive stories about the party?

Do you think it is right for a political party, any party to threaten to shut down a national broadcaster if they run less than positive stories about the party?

No I don't.
    You should know that when I criticised FG plans to intefere with independent jornalism because their leaders wrongful actions werw exposed.
    If the SF party have made this threat please show where.
    I see somebidy mouthing off on FB

• Advertisement

I don't. Is that a thing and is that the reason they gave or are you making that up?

You know about FF tapping journalists phones yeah?

No I don't.
    You should know that when I criticised FG plans to intefere with independent jornalism because their leaders wrongful actions werw exposed.

Yet to see a link to this famous story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Yet to see a link to this famous story?

A SF member posted it on her personal page. Leo was wishing the Dubs best of luck in one the games recently, this mean FGs policy is up the Dubs?

Do you think it's right for a political party to threaten a blogger at an airport and use Gardai to do so?

A New York-based blogger who was stopped and cautioned by gardaí at Dublin Airport about social media posts she made about Minister for Employment Regina Doherty is considering legal action against gardaí.

The Minister made a criminal complaint of harassment under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 Act over online and social media comments made by Tyrone-born woman, Catherine Kelly. Ms Kelly made a series of criticisms of the Meath East Fine Gael TD about the collapse of a company run by Ms Doherty and her husband eight years ago.

Ms Kelly was approached by two gardaí at the airport on June 27th who asked to confirm her identity and then cautioned her about her social media posts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/blogger-considers-legal-action-over-garda-caution-at-airport-1.3145958

Do you think it's right for a political party to threaten a blogger at an airport and use Gardai to do so?

A New York-based blogger who was stopped and cautioned by gardaí at Dublin Airport about social media posts she made about Minister for Employment Regina Doherty is considering legal action against gardaí.

The Minister made a criminal complaint of harassment under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 Act over online and social media comments made by Tyrone-born woman, Catherine Kelly. Ms Kelly made a series of criticisms of the Meath East Fine Gael TD about the collapse of a company run by Ms Doherty and her husband eight years ago.

Ms Kelly was approached by two gardaí at the airport on June 27th who asked to confirm her identity and then cautioned her about her social media posts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/blogger-considers-legal-action-over-garda-caution-at-airport-1.3145958

Did you read the post? are you trying to say people should not have the ability to protect themselves from harrassment online?

Did you read the post? are you trying to say people should not have the ability to protect themselves to harrassment online?

Do you think Gardai following someone to the airport over social media posts is normal?

Do you think Gardai following someone to the airport over social media posts is normal?

Did you read the story? it was a legal case. Legal = Gardai
    Do you think people are not allowed to protect themselves from online harassment?

Did you read the story? it was a legal case. Legal = Gardai
    Do you think people are not allowed to protect themselves from online harrasement?

Did you read the story because your comprehension of it says otherwise. Legal = Gardai lol.

"Garda sources said the decision to issue a caution in such a fashion was highly unusual. Normally gardaí would deal with the matter over the phone or make arrangements to meet by appointment."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do you understand the difference between a reduction and cutting off all funding?
    Both post now from FG and FF are talking about a reduction and I think we can all agree 2FM is a waste of tax payer money. If you want to see what the public says just look at the RTE threads on it.

SF want to cut ALL funding to RTE. Hence shutting down the national broadcaster.

A huge difference do you not think?

Yes, the difference is that a senator is technically a member of the parliamentary party (and a party that was in gov't at the time)and would be more aware of the inner thinking so for one to publicly comment on cutting funds is a far greater threat than a councillor who is far removed from central policy makers in a party that is not in gov't spouting off.

Do you understand the difference between a senator and a councillor?
    Between a threat made by a member of the government and a councillor in an opposition party?

Did you read the story because your comprehension of it says otherwise. Legal = Gardai lol.

"Garda sources said the decision to issue a caution in such a fashion was highly unusual. Normally gardaí would deal with the matter over the phone or make arrangements to meet by appointment."

Do you think people should be allowed to protect themselves against online harassment??

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yes, the difference is that a senator is technically a member of the parliamentary party (and a party that was in gov't at the time)and would be more aware of the inner thinking so for one to publicly comment on cutting funds is a far greater threat than a councillor who is far removed from central policy makers in a party that is not in gov't spouting off.

Do you understand the difference between a senator and a councillor?
    Between a threat made by a member of the government and a councillor in an opposition party?

It is just comedy stuff now. There will be a pivot to something else shortly.

Do you think people should be allowed to protect themselves against online harassment??

Do you think Gardai should act as a private force for government ministers? There are proper channels for alleged online harassment.of course the crooked FG politician came at it in the usual corrupt, way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Do you think Gardai should act as a private force for government ministers?

Only FG ones.

Do you think Gardai should act as a private force for government ministers? There are proper channels for alleged online harassment.of course the crooked FG politician came at it in the usual corrupt, way.

The mask doesn't be long slipping with these guys. Look at the carry on with Mich Wallace and Claire Daly too. A private police force in some instances.

The TD followed the channels according to the article. She went to the courts and this person was leaving the country so I would expect the Gardai had no alternative to give her the caution prior to her leaving but you would need to ask them.

You are talking about a person who has gone after Mairia Cahill online because she had the misfortune for getting raped byt the PIRA.

So again do you think people should be allowed protect themselves from online harrasment which is what this case is all about?

The mask doesn't be long slipping with these guys. Look at the carry on with Mich Wallace and Claire Daly too. A private police force in some instances.

Lets ask you, do you think people have the right to protect themselves from harassment?

Floppybits wrote: »
    Only FG ones.

SF don't need the Gardai do they now? they have their own people to send around to people and their parents houses. No need for courts case or anything like that. Only slows them down. Isn't that right?

Lets ask you, do you think people have the right to protect themselves from harassment?

Through the proper channels...of course. In fact I don't knw why those complaining about it don't go through the proper channels before trying to get publicity out of it. You cannot privately use the Gardai to do it for you though.

Through the proper channels...of course. In fact I don't knw why those complaining about it don't go through the proper channels before trying to get publicity out of it. You cannot privately use the Gardai to do it for you though.

See below

• Advertisement

Why would RTE be sold?

Anyway thats a topic for the RTE thread
    No political party should be making threats of shutting it down to stop them reporting on the news.
    Do you now think?

To go back to this original nonsense. I actually think the opposite requires an explanation. Do you think a political party should be treated unfairly compared to others? An example RTE originally not allowing Mary Lou in the leaders debate for 2020 elections. An election her party subsequently went off to win the largest share of popular vote in. Only after legal action did they do a U turn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement