Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leo getting called out on his bandwagoning...'When you tried to oppress us from the safety of your closet, that was homophobia' ...ouch, is all you can say to that.

https://twitter.com/DubRentWatch/status/1335918155995209728

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Leo getting called out on his bandwagoning...'When you tried to oppress us from the safety of your closet, that was homophobia' ...ouch, is all you can say to that.

Leo response was clear and precise. Pity Mary Lou's wasn't....ouch, is all you can say to that
    https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1335915492616384512

Leo response was clear and precise. Pity Mary Lou's wasn't....ouch, is all you can say to that
    https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1335915492616384512

Except the fact that she didn't 'glorify' latent homphobia or violence. In fact she very clearly said that the problem with the tweet was that it did glorify the violence and that is wrong because it hurts victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭golfball37

Leo is the reason SF have gone from a fringe party to one that could lead a government. I’d rather he shut up he’s so damaged at this stage. His legacy to FG and this country is making the shinners electable.
    Someone in FG needs to see the wood through the trees here and realise where this is all heading. Get Coveney in charge ASAP.

Except the fact that she didn't 'glorify' latent homphobia or violence. In fact she very clearly said that the problem with the tweet was that it did glorify the violence and that is wrong because it hurts victims.

Everyone sitting around a table in SF, they know they have a huge issue around homophobia and the best plan they can come up with, we will attack an openly gay man in Ireland on twitter. You couldn't actually make this stuff up.

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »
    Leo is the reason SF have gone from a fringe party to one that could lead a government. I’d rather he shut up he’s so damaged at this stage. His legacy to FG and this country is making the shinners electable.
    Someone in FG needs to see the wood through the trees here and realise where this is all heading. Get Coveney in charge ASAP.

I think you will find FF and the crash along, then Enda and then Leo in FG, plus the mess that Labour last time in. So pointing the finger at Leo for everything is not 100% true. He is a person I don't like but he still has FG top of polls so some people do.

It was clear in last election people just voted SF as they where the last name on the list, with recent carry on people might move on

Really? who in SF thought it was a great idea to get one of the SF trolls to attack and openly gay man on twitter?
    Everyone sitting around a table in SF, they know they have a huge issue around homophobia and the best plan they can come up with, we will attack and openly gay man in Ireland on twitter. You couldn't actually make this stuff up.

More of your speculative rubbish.

Why would a man with a track record of standing up for gay rights and ZERO track record for homophobic ones suddenly decide to make a homophobic attack on the most public platform known to us.

Make some sense here.

Why would a man with a track record of standing up for gay rights and ZERO track record for homophobic ones suddenly decide to make a homophobic attack on the most public platform known to us.

Make some sense here.

Yes an account with no name on it. This is the best response. I couldn't have said it better myself

https://twitter.com/TedLeddy/status/1335919594423406594

Yes an account with no name on it. This is the best response. I couldn't have said it better myself

https://twitter.com/TedLeddy/status/1335919594423406594

Isn't that called 'shooting the messenger' around these parts?

Would you agree with 'When you tried to oppress us from the safety of your closet, that was homophobia?'

Were gay people entitled to feel that those who were denying them their rights (of which cohort Leo was an outspoken one, in his position at the time. there are quotes to prove it) were homophobic in effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think you will find FF and the crash along, then Enda and then Leo in FG, plus the mess that Labour last time in. So pointing the finger at Leo for everything is not 100% true. He is a person I don't like but he still has FG top of polls so some people do.

It was clear in last election people just voted SF as they where the last name on the list, with recent carry on people might move on

14% was their ceiling before Leo assumed leadership of FG. You can wish it away all you want but his type of politics makes them acceptable to many now who wouldn’t dream of it previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think most people in this country would like to see a government that is fair and transparent and not having this crap that FG and SF are engaging in. Maybe when parties get into government they set about making things better for everyone and not just for themselves, their supporters and their crony's and actually lead by setting the standards that we all should follow rather than the usual "do as I say not as I do" that we get then maybe just maybe they will get the support of the people. The support of the people has to be earned and if thrown back in the faces of the people then expect that support to go elsewhere.

Homeless folks dying on the streets, families living in hotel rooms and kids getting fed at soup kitchens and what are FG and SF engaging nothing but throwing handbags at each other just because one party is doing better than the other in the polls or one of the parties is trying to deflect from the absolute shambles of a government they are involved in, Absolutely insanity and the supporters on here need to get their priorities right. Sickening what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Make some sense here.

Many of us who lived through the 1970s and 1980s never believed that Sinn Fein were committed to gay rights. If you were gay and Catholic in Northern Ireland during those times, you kept quiet about it if you wanted to keep your knees from being shattered. Just ask David Norris about it.

https://gcn.ie/senator-norris-says-ira-kneecapped-gays-twitter-disagrees/

The hatred of Varadkar runs deep among Sinn Fein activists. It is no surprise that the superficial gay rights mask slips when they are talking about him. Ditto the superficial anti-racism mask.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Many of us who lived through the 1970s and 1980s never believed that Sinn Fein were committed to gay rights. If you were gay and Catholic in Northern Ireland during those times, you kept quiet about it if you wanted to keep your knees from being shattered. Just ask David Norris about it.

The hatred of Varadkar runs deep among Sinn Fein activists. It is no surprise that the superficial gay rights mask slips when they are talking about him. Ditto the superficial anti-racism mask.

Did you read all of that article? :)
    “Now, I don’t know if those behind it may have been acting as freelance but at that time the provisional movement was very anti-gay. And indeed I remember people who were in the provisional movement shouting homophobic remarks at me.

I googled looking for the testimony of a gay person who was 'kneecapped' during the conflict/war and all I could find was a story from a gay man from a loyalist background. I'll keep lopking for someone from the republican side saying the same or for some data.
    No doubt you have done due diligence of Norris's remarks and can point us to the data here?

BTW...long long before the power swap decided to stop denying rights, I remember stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/adriang86518036/status/1335923367401189376

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

In fairness you can say the same about FG. Their hatred of SF runs deep. Yourself being the prime example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A hell of a lot of that Varadkar style content can be found on Boards. Also using murder victims and their families in elections. No wonder they got the Sun editor in.

More bring Fianna Fail back from the brink leaving SF as the viable alternative. Neither a good look for the leader of FG.

Blarney.
    It's well known on this very thread that when LV isn't talking ****e, lying or up to no good, he doesn't appear on here. Granted that's not very often, but that's on him.

FYI: FF/FG had a state were being unmarried and pregnant could mean a life of slave labour and your child been taken and sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

14% was their ceiling before Leo assumed leadership of FG. You can wish it away all you want but his type of politics makes them acceptable to many now who wouldn’t dream of it previously.

Leo led them to their worst election result in nearly a century while making SF and FF the 2 big parties.

Excellent work alright

Leo led them to their worst election result in nearly a century while making SF and FF the 2 big parties.

Excellent work alright

Fine Gael for the first time ever are in government after three elections in a row.

Unless FF somehow do a deal with Sinn Fein, it will be four or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Anyone else think it speaks volumes how little Fianna Fail features in this thread

• Advertisement

Anyone else think it speaks volumes how little Fianna Fail features in this thread

This is part 2 where posters have been fully engaged with Leo; Dara Calleary and Brian Cowen featured strongly in part 1.

We know who is running the show. It's not Michael

Fine Gael for the first time ever are in government after three elections in a row.

Unless FF somehow do a deal with Sinn Fein, it will be four or more.

Of course Mícheál will do a deal with SF. They already broke an election promise to not go into Govt with FG. I see no reason why Mícheál won't do the same to stay in Govt.

They will have seen jumping into bed with FG has done them awful damage, what better way to get a boost then join up with the party of the young SF?

This is part 2 where posters have been fully engaged with Leo; Dara Calleary and Brian Cowen featured strongly in part 1.

Can't have gone unnoticed that FF are struggling to make any kind of headline bad or good, it's the Leo and Mary Lou show,

Goes back to FG/Varadkar and their ****show of governance and cronyism. LV is a mouth piece and trips himself up. The FG online and PR agenda is nasty and bitter. They can't take a question of defend their actions. It's like a car crash TV show with them.
    MM is not as big a loudmouth. Varadkar keeps stealing his thunder by leaking details of MM's announcements ahead of time. I think MM is happy to wear the Taoiseach hat and go through the motions. In any case FG is outplaying FF at their own game on the crony stakes.
    MM/FF haven't broken any new ground since getting in.

Bowie wrote: »
    Goes back to FG/Varadkar and their ****show of governance and cronyism. LV is a mouth piece and trips himself up. The FG online and PR agenda is nasty and bitter. They can't take a question of defend their actions. It's like a car crash TV show with them.
    MM is not as big a loudmouth. Varadkar keeps stealing his thunder by leaking details of MM's announcements ahead of time. I think MM is happy to wear the Taoiseach hat and go through the motions. In any case FG is outplaying FF at their own game on the crony stakes.
    MM/FF haven't broken any new ground since getting in.

But how long can MM hold off a leadership heave, if the Covid vaccine returns some sort of normality and Brexit fallout easing by March /April staying in a love less relationship with FG and the Green idiot collective isn't somewhere most FFers will want to be

But how long can MM hold off a leadership heave, if the Covid vaccine returns some sort of normality and Brexit fallout easing by March /April staying in a love less relationship with FG and the Green idiot collective isn't somewhere most FFers will want to be

How long can Leo stay leader of FG when it's clear the members would much prefer Simon in charge? I can't imagine him leading them to their worst election in neart a century has gained him any support from the members, or leaking confidential information or making sure his mate gets a job as a judge

I can see a major split behind the scenes in FF. There'll be Cowen looking to kick back, lads upset they partnered with FG, O'Cuiv is always on the fringe too. I think they'll ride FF/FG/Greens out until the wheels come off because MM was the best they had and as bad as he is they've no household known replacement in the wings.

How long can Leo stay leader of FG when it's clear the members would much prefer Simon in charge? I can't imagine him leading them to their worst election in neart a century has gained him any support from the members, or leaking confidential information or making sure his mate gets a job as a judge

Don't think the party members get a say anymore, Varadkar ticks more boxes with the spin committee, thats what happens when you base your whole leadership on internet likes

• Advertisement

^^^
    Not sure who you are trying to convince lads, apart from yourselves nobody is falling for it.
    The Greens all over the news with Bord Na Mona, ticking away with the Green iniatives
    FF quietly working away in the background and slowing going up in the polls
    They have a young team in FF so getting great experience and they will get better.
    FG are only in news because SF are obsessed with them, look at Mary Lou who couldn't do an interview without mentioning them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement