Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Keep asking the same question doesn't get a different answer.
    What you want next? people complaining because Bertie promised them XYZ during his time as Taoiseach :p
    I already said TD's are overpaid. Expenses are a huge rip off as well which some parties take the complete pi** on. Don't you agree?

Haha spin spin spin.

The Govt have failed the student nurses and midwives, people we should be bending over backways to help after what they all done to help the nation this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭golfball37

The simple answer is the judges pay rise was budgeted for and the student nurses wasn’t. There’s really nothing more too it from a simple economic point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sorry I don't live in the US.

Me neither just showing the company you are in claiming the crisis is over.

Back to the question, if student nurses couldn't get pay because there's 'no magic money tree' or we could cut the Christmas bonus to find the money, where did the money for the raises for judges and whips come from? Even if in the budget, where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Bowie wrote: »
    Me neither just showing the company you are in claiming the crisis is over.

Back to the question, if student nurses couldn't get pay because there's 'no magic money tree' or we could cut the Christmas bonus to find the money, where did the money for the raises for judges and whips come from? Even if in the budget, where?

I suggest you ask Pearse in SF. I am sure he will be able to teach you everything you need to know.

Haha spin spin spin.

The Govt have failed the student nurses and midwives, people we should be bending over backways to help after what they all done to help the nation this year

I think you will find the government should be helping all the frontline workers. All of them. That includes receptionist/cleaners everyone.
    Didnt the student nurses get offered the PUP?

• Advertisement

I suggest you ask Pearse in SF. I am sure he will be able to teach you everything you need to know.

So how can you suggest there's a need for a 'magic money tree' to pay student nurses or we might look to cutting the Christmas bonus from welfare to find money, if you've absolutely no idea where the money for the raises in wages for Judges and whips came from? Might not the paying of student nurses come from the same source?

Why are you mentioning SF again? Very odd.

So how can you suggest there's a need for a 'magic money tree' to pay student nurses or we might look to cutting the Christmas bonus from welfare to find money, if you've absolutely no idea where the money for the raises in wages for Judges and whips came from? Might not the paying of student nurses come from the same source?

Why are you mentioning SF again? Very odd.

You are a member of SF, Pearse is the spokeman on Finance. So ask him?

If you are a member of another party then I suggest you go to their spokesperson on Finance.

You are a member of SF, Pearse is the spokeman on Finance. So ask him?

If you are a member of another party then I suggest you go to their spokesperson on Finance.

I'm a member of the Library. That's it.
    You made the claims not I. I am asking you to support them.

So when they voted against paying student nurses, you had no knowledge as to why but believed it was because we'd no 'magic money tree'. Got it.

I'm a member of the Library. That's it.
    You made the claims not I. I am asking you to support them.

So when they voted against paying student nurses, you had no knowledge as to why but believed it was because we'd no 'magic money tree'. Got it.

Well if a member of the library I suggest you go down and ask them for some books on how a budget works. Fascinating stuff.

Well if a member of the library I suggest you go down and ask them for some books on how a budget works. Fascinating stuff.

'Medice, cura te ipsum'. I think you might need heed that advice.

They chose not to pay student nurses. Was just mentioned on RTE again. It's what the people will remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

'Medice, cura te ipsum'. I think you might need heed that advice.

They chose not to pay student nurses. Was just mentioned on RTE again. It's what the people will remember.

Alot of anger at the FF party meeting over the decision to not pay the nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Probably celebrations going on at the FG party meeting over not paying the nurses.

Harris put the govt in an awful spot with his like seeking tweets over paying the nurses and his empty promises. I dunno how he holds down any position of importance. I don’t think there would be half the furor over it only for Simon and his lack of discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Only good thing is that these are online meetings, or there'd be blood spilled. :)

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1336396481042018305

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

golfball37 wrote: »
    Harris put the govt in an awful spot with his like seeking tweets over paying the nurses and his empty promises. I dunno how he holds down any position of importance. I don’t think there would be half the furor over it only for Simon and his lack of discipline

There would be because they were all flouncing around with their shiny PR phrase 'We're all in this together', when it was clear others were expected to do heavier lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There would be because they were all flouncing around with their shiny PR phrase 'We're all in this together', when it was clear others were expected to do heavier lifting.

Harris do heavy lifting, sure the hardest thing he ever did was make tea for Frances Fitz. Couldn't even hack college.

I know but Harris actually committed a promise in writing on Twitter, more than once. Sound bytes are part of the political posturing, all parties engage in it. For a serving minister to add meat to the bone with a specific promise that couldn’t be keeped is shocking. In my firm he’d be out on his ear for being so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They are such idiots in FF. Their performance since Feb 8th has been appalling. How much would it cost to pay the student nurses? I know the FF members are raging at this inept government. MM is taking a lot of flak.

When the coalition of chaos was being negotiated there were a sizable group of councillors and FF members trying to prevent a FF+FG coalition. I believe O'Callaghan was supporting them. Obviously thy failed but there is a very unhappy cohort in FF and it's growing. Maybe FF will split or just fade into insignificance. Fingers crossed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

golfball37 wrote: »
    I know but Harris actually committed a promise in writing on Twitter, more than once. Sound bytes are part of the political posturing, all parties engage in it. For a serving minister to add meat to the bone with a specific promise that couldn’t be keeped is shocking. In my firm he’d be out on his ear for being so stupid.
    Wasn't that what Tóibín from Aontú was talking about last week or the week before?
    I think he had direct quotes from Harris back in march and was calling it a publicity stunt or similar.
    It was around the same time they voted, and Madigan was photographing herself at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »

And the merry go round tit for tat between government and SF starts again.

No wonder nothing gets done in this country.

I blame all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I blame all parties.

If the Government parties could just be less pathetic for one week it would be great. Less spin doctors and more level head people. Less corruption and more equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder did the raises for the Judges and party whips come from the magic money tree?

Surely any decent fellows would say, 'hey, I'm already minted, sure give it to student nurses, (at least until the pandemic passes)?'.
    We're all in this together *slow hand clap*

Why?

Who decides who is the most deserving? The mob?

There are an awful lot of people who claim entitlement to something. Should we refuse the judges and the nurses and build free houses for social welfare recipients?

The idea that people deserve reward for hard work is one that is gone by the wayside.

I blame all parties.

Red C will do a poll on how many people think the student nurses and midwives should be paid and I reckon the Govt are gonna be in for some shock

That's if they don't do a U turn which I expect shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »

Mary Lou is going to kill student nurses with her anti-vaxxer messaging. Small comfort that they will get paid to die under her control.

It is time that a little perspective was got on things. Student nurses never got paid, never should get paid, as they are students, like teachers and many others who don't get paid.

During the time when the hospitals were overrun, many were hired as healthcare assistants (not nurses) and got paid for that. Hospitals are no longer overrun, thanks to the good work of the government, student nurses are back doing what they used to do.

Are we going to have this hand-wringing and crying from Sinn Fein every time the government correctly rolls back something like the PUP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

blanch152 wrote: »
    Mary Lou is going to kill student nurses with her anti-vaxxer messaging. Small comfort that they will get paid to die under her control.

It is time that a little perspective was got on things. Student nurses never got paid, never should get paid, as they are students, like teachers and many others who don't get paid.

During the time when the hospitals were overrun, many were hired as healthcare assistants (not nurses) and got paid for that. Hospitals are no longer overrun, thanks to the good work of the government, student nurses are back doing what they used to do.

Are we going to have this hand-wringing and crying from Sinn Fein every time the government correctly rolls back something like the PUP?

I feel like I'm tripping on Ayuhuasca after reading that post.

These Fine Gael bots be on some good sh!t.

https://twitter.com/MaryLouMcDonald/status/1336225438574710787?s=19

The Anti Vaxer herself 🀣

Hospitals are not overrun? Tell that to the over 1 million on waiting lists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Didn't Mary Lou agree to take the Vaccine on TV?
    Anyway.. :rolleyes:
    Thanks to the good work of Nphet is surely what you meant to say. The government can of course say they decided when and where the rules were applied, but realistically it was Nphet who set the rules.
    When a little perspective is had, it will be the u-turn that will happen.
    Student nurses should definitely have received payment during the pandemic.
    Have you any reason in particular to dispute that, other than when there was no pandemic they never got paid? They were putting themselves on the front line. That meant for many of them, zero physical contact with their family, especially for the first half of the pandemic and little contact with others, other than when they were 'learning'.
    They couldn't take a part time job, they couldn't really live with their parents. Add to that, Harris/FG promised them payment in march.

This is not hand-wringing and crying from SF.
    You would be doing well to open your eyes and see how far this is gaining attention. Ireland will be plagued by advertisements from overseas for well paid work for nurses, and we (you) can't complain when they take the jobs.

Why?

Who decides who is the most deserving? The mob?

There are an awful lot of people who claim entitlement to something. Should we refuse the judges and the nurses and build free houses for social welfare recipients?

The idea that people deserve reward for hard work is one that is gone by the wayside.

The poster I'm responding to suggested student nurses couldn't be paid because there was no 'magic money tree'.
    They found money for judges and party whips. I was asking where that came from. Its all in the posts you're jumping in on.

The electorate. But I guess FG might say 'mob'. The government were tripping over each other to applaud frontline workers. The public or 'mob' as you say, won't be rewarding ministers who voted no.

You support supplying leased luxury apartments. I don't support that.
    Was it pay judges and whips and cut special advisors? Was it ****. Yet its always suggested the poor lower income people would have to suffer to balance any moves to improve the lot of those less well off. Complete tory bollocksology.

I agree. Did you hear the government refused to pay student nurses after Harris promised? During a pandemic where they can't work elsewhere to supplement their income no less.

• Advertisement

Cant understand the govt not sorting this issue early in the crisis.

Cost would be nothing given the bullet dodged, it being a popular move and frankly the right thing to do.

If nothing else, jesus its poor politics

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement