Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    Mary Lou is going to kill student nurses with her anti-vaxxer messaging. Small comfort that they will get paid to die under her control.

It is time that a little perspective was got on things. Student nurses never got paid, never should get paid, as they are students, like teachers and many others who don't get paid.

During the time when the hospitals were overrun, many were hired as healthcare assistants (not nurses) and got paid for that. Hospitals are no longer overrun, thanks to the good work of the government, student nurses are back doing what they used to do.

Are we going to have this hand-wringing and crying from Sinn Fein every time the government correctly rolls back something like the PUP?

So many lies in one post...I guess I'll focus on the easiest one. Show me evidence of Mary Lou spreading anti- vaccination messages? You've mentioned it maby 5/6 times so I'm thinking it should be easy to evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Not good on the public eye this.
    It's like they're on a self destruction pro course this govt by times.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40187001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When you contrast the image they want to portray with the reality...Windows 7??? Unbelievable.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1209/1183265-hse-technology/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

This is disgraceful. The magic money tree is alive and well though so maybe the student nurses could be given a few pound off it. There is hope yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Cabinet has reversed pension cuts to retired taoisigh, ministers, and top civil servants who were in office during the financial crash a decade ago, just one week after refusing to pay student nurses.

The €12m-a-year decision will see up to 4,000 of the highest-paid retired public servants, including former taoisigh Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen, relieved of the pension levy introduced in 2009.

:eek:

Why?

FFG could not wait 1 week without tripping themselves up. Elite.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

When you contrast the image they want to portray with the reality...Windows 7??? Unbelievable.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1209/1183265-hse-technology/

You have the case for each of those terminals to be updated to windows 10, taking into account the associated legacy software risks and costs and not just the cost of warehousing the old systems on a stable platform because it works and is the preferred alternative after professional analysis?

Or did you, like the article wants, just read "windows 7" and assume without any other information that that in itself was a problem?

That article is nonsense, absent an actual case.

Edit: and again, the idea that "the govt"- any party, of any type, is somehow in any way linked to how IT professionals in the different depts go about making such decisions is so, so ridiculous.

Plenty to actually focus on in terms of what "the govt" are doing, should be doing, are doing badly.

Ill-behoves people who want to comment on things all day to show such little insight into this stuff tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Who's next for a few pound off the magic money tree?

The student nurses decision is a major major blunder by FFG. Idiotic.

They will reverse the decision but it's too late for the optics.

Maybe they should hire more advisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    So many lies in one post...I guess I'll focus on the easiest one. Show me evidence of Mary Lou spreading anti- vaccination messages? You've mentioned it maby 5/6 times so I'm thinking it should be easy to evidence.

On Claire Byrne yesterday morning she was equivocating on the vaccine. Typical both sides of the mouth stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

On Claire Byrne yesterday morning she was equivocating on the vaccine. Typical both sides of the mouth stuff.

She didn't indulge in demeaning and deriding those with doubts but committed to continuing to inform and allay fears.

I.E. she was being a leader for all, not just the 'chosen people'.

• Advertisement

Can you post? Your narrative before has left room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

:eek:

Why?

FFG could not wait 1 week without tripping themselves up. Elite.

No fear of them self serving b*st*rds doing anything for the ordinary workers before themselves.

Why don't they drop the 'temporary' USC first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't get them TBH.
    Is it trying to look fiscally conservative while lining their own pockets or just piss poor governance? Either way it's not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bowie wrote: »
    I don't get them TBH.
    Is it trying to look fiscally conservative while lining their own pockets or just piss poor governance? Either way it's not acceptable.

This is not just politics though it is right through out Irish society. We see it in some of the county boards in the GAA where the chairman plays the poor mouth if a manager comes looking for a few bob for something to help the team but when it comes to the country board and their members they are not short a few bob for the auld tea and sandwiches and the meetings. The same in the charities, playing the poor mouth, oh we need money, we need the public to help us with donations and then we find that those at the top of the charities are on nice little high 5 and 6 figure salaries. I don't if it is ingrained or what but it happens everywhere. Yes politicians line their pockets the most not only with the pay the give themselves but also with the decisions they make were they are setting themselves up for life outside of politics. It seems to attract a certain type of person.

Imagine if you had a leader in the country that would come out and say they are going to slash politicians wages that the highest paid would the Taoiseach say in 100k and then it would drop by 10k after that. The problem with what we see in this country is that politicians have forgotten how to lead, it is too cushy for them. Just take the fact that Lowry keeps topping the poll in his constituency even with all that has been exposed about it, it doesn't send a strong message to the politicians to behave themselves. The last election a message was sent to FG and they still end up in government after they had their little sulk and tantrum after the results and now as far as FG are concerned they can do what they like and the electorate will still vote for them. I hope its not true but what we have seen on here from their supporters I fear it is. I also blame Micheal Martin for this as well when he arrogantly ruled out talking with SF and went down on bended knee to plead with Varadkar to go into government with him and we are seeing the fruits of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Floppybits wrote: »
    This is not just politics though it is right through out Irish society. We see it in some of the county boards in the GAA where the chairman plays the poor mouth if a manager comes looking for a few bob for something to help the team but when it comes to the country board and their members they are not short a few bob for the auld tea and sandwiches and the meetings. The same in the charities, playing the poor mouth, oh we need money, we need the public to help us with donations and then we find that those at the top of the charities are on nice little high 5 and 6 figure salaries. I don't if it is ingrained or what but it happens everywhere. Yes politicians line their pockets the most not only with the pay the give themselves but also with the decisions they make were they are setting themselves up for life outside of politics. It seems to attract a certain type of person.

Imagine if you had a leader in the country that would come out and say they are going to slash politicians wages that the highest paid would the Taoiseach say in 100k and then it would drop by 10k after that. The problem with what we see in this country is that politicians have forgotten how to lead, it is too cushy for them. Just take the fact that Lowry keeps topping the poll in his constituency even with all that has been exposed about it, it doesn't send a strong message to the politicians to behave themselves. The last election a message was sent to FG and they still end up in government after they had their little sulk and tantrum after the results and now as far as FG are concerned they can do what they like and the electorate will still vote for them. I hope its not true but what we have seen on here from their supporters I fear it is. I also blame Micheal Martin for this as well when he arrogantly ruled out talking with SF and went down on bended knee to plead with Varadkar to go into government with him and we are seeing the fruits of that now.

I have long thought that all State salaries - including politicians- should be linked to the avg industrial wage, say for example, the absolute top salary is 5x the avg IW, back bench TD gets Avg IW x 2 etc .

All the various personal expenses are put on a 'company' CC - which is audited every year, all travel is booked and paid for through a central office, rent on Constituency offices paid for centrally as it the salary for staff.

No one should get a State pension that is more than the ave Industrial wage (if they feel they need more take out a private pension) and no-one should be able to claim before what ever age the State Contributory pension is paid (66/67/68.. the moveable goal).

If an organisation receives State funding towards wages etc the same rules should apply.

The pay peanuts get monkeys rules has long been proven to be incorrect - we pay a hell of a lot more than peanuts and would be better of with actual monkeys then some of the eejits enjoying the kind of incomes most workers can only dream about.

Bertie and Cowen are already getting 150,000 Euro pensions. The mind boggles.

Enda Kenny will receive a lump sum payment of €378,000 and an annual pension of €126,000.

https://worlddebtclocks.com/ireland

FFG Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bertie and Cowen are already getting 150,000 Euro pensions. The mind boggles.

Enda Kenny will receive a lump sum payment of €378,000 and an annual pension of €126,000.

https://worlddebtclocks.com/ireland

FFG Elite.

It's obscene imho when in a country where there is a gap of €2.2 ph between the minimum wage and the living wage and we are told that if that gap was closed jobs would be lost that retired politicians who drove this country's economy off a cliff are getting €72 a hour based on a 40 hr working week. Plus many of them, like Kenny, have high earning jobs.
    Sure, they pay tax etc etc - lets say they 'lose' 60% of their €150k pension in deductions they still get to take home €28 an hour - State Pension. That's €1,120 a week nett - Contributory State pension for an ordinary worker is €248.30 a week.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have long thought that all State salaries - including politicians- should be linked to the avg industrial wage, say for example, the absolute top salary is 5x the avg IW, back bench TD gets Avg IW x 2 etc .

All the various personal expenses are put on a 'company' CC - which is audited every year, all travel is booked and paid for through a central office, rent on Constituency offices paid for centrally as it the salary for staff.

No one should get a State pension that is more than the ave Industrial wage (if they feel they need more take out a private pension) and no-one should be able to claim before what ever age the State Contributory pension is paid (66/67/68.. the moveable goal).

If an organisation receives State funding towards wages etc the same rules should apply.

The pay peanuts get monkeys rules has long been proven to be incorrect - we pay a hell of a lot more than peanuts and would be better of with actual monkeys then some of the eejits enjoying the kind of incomes most workers can only dream about.

For me politicians pay should be just enough so that they feel the impact of their decisions. I also don't agree with this pay peanuts get monkeys, basically if the politicians pay was dropped would then you would only see those people who see it as a calling and to serve their country. It would also possibly see the end of the career politician who is only in it for the money, remove that and you will suddenly see who care about the country versus those that don't. I know someone is going to say but if you lower the pay they will then open to bribes, well to that you would bring in strict legislation that would see these politicians jailed. Not slapped on the wrist or claim the stress of their situation is making them ill. In addition any person who serves on any board that receives state funding will be compelled to attend the oireactas committees to answer questions or face a garda investigation.

It's obscene imho when in a country where there is a gap of €2.2 ph between the minimum wage and the living wage and we are told that if that gap was closed jobs would be lost that retired politicians who drove this country's economy off a cliff are getting €72 a hour based on a 40 hr working week. Plus many of them, like Kenny, have high earning jobs.
    Sure, they pay tax etc etc - lets say they 'lose' 60% of their €150k pension in deductions they still get to take home €28 an hour - State Pension. That's €1,120 a week nett - Contributory State pension for an ordinary worker is €248.30 a week.

Yep it's utterly perverse.

I am ashamed to have voted Fine Gael for nearly 20 years. I thought they were different.

Yep it's utterly perverse.

I am ashamed to have voted Fine Gael for nearly 20 years. I thought they were different.

Would often give them a nod as my area is choc full of FG'ers. I know many sound ones. I fully bought into Kenny in 2011, end to cronyism, no more quangos etc. etc. I believed that considering the position we found ourselves in all the crony messing would be put to the side to try rebuild the country. The resulted business as usual and two fingers to the tax payer was so disappointing.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    Would often give them a nod as my area is choc full of FG'ers. I know many sound ones. I fully bought into Kenny in 2011, end to cronyism, no more quangos etc. etc. I believed that considering the position we found ourselves in all the crony messing would be put to the side to try rebuild the country. The resulted business as usual and two fingers to the tax payer was so disappointing.

The New Politics document in 2011 was the ultimate insult for me. Such an opportunity wasted.

The New Politics document in 2011 was the ultimate insult for me. Such an opportunity wasted.

The thing is at that time they probably didn't even need to produce the new politics document such was the anger at FF mainly and the Greens. FG are going to pay for that document for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I don't suppose this means that they will also have to stop the raiding of private pensions?

Looks like this story is gone international. Not a good look.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1336403424556924934?s=19

Might be a u-turn if it costs LV 'likes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

TDs do earn double the average earnings, that is the case now.

I think that's fair enough, it is a 24x7 job.

Ministers get, I think, 3x average earnings?

The Taoiseach gets about 4x.

and no-one should be able to claim before what ever age the State Contributory pension is paid (66/67/68.. the moveable goal).

This has happened already..

The PS pension age is the same as the State Pension age, for all PS in the new Single PS pension scheme.

https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/

I
    No one should get a State pension that is more than the ave Industrial wage (if they feel they need more take out a private pension)

The State Pension is 13k.

Average earnings for FT workers are 49k approx.

You may be referring to PS pensions?

The vast, vast majority of PS pensions are less than 49k.

The few PS pension above that are:
    • doctors
    • Judges?
    • a few very senior civil servants
    • a few long-serving Ministers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looks like Holly Cairns is the latest target for twitter abuse, purely because she is dating a FF TD.

Noticed she was trending and clicked in to see why. Wish I didn't now.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Looks like Holly Cairns is the latest target for twitter abuse, purely because she is dating a FF TD.

Noticed she was trending and clicked in to see why. Wish I didn't now.

She must be doing something right so. Ridiculous carry on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement