Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It's getting tired dd.

I know, we had this thing by the balls in June and re-opened too early and now we are too late to close things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    The situation in the hospitals in the North is quite shocking. Makes our system look like a Rolls Royce one. Remember that Sinn Fein denied the nurses up there a pay increase by collapsing Stormont over a languages act.

The way that a functioning health system up there was run down by successive SF governments is quite extraordinary. If I had Corona in Omagh, I would be thinking of heading for Cavan Hospital.

There's now a lot more capacity in the north since the Nightingale was reactivated at the City hospital so there was a plan in place within the NHS whereas the FFG way is to have no plan for increased capacity other than to throw money at Goodman and O'Brien even though the had 6 months to prepare for this.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

The fact is the Govt have warned us from day 1, we need to do everything NHEPT tells us to do. Anytime they were questioned on anything, they would say we need to follow the public health advice and then with no warning they said **** you NHEPT we know better than you and ignored what they said.

Whats happening as a result of that? Cases have risen all over the country and the only people who are to blame for that is the Govt!

That IS NOT true
    Closing down the country instead of local areas would be wrong IMO
    It certainly would suppress the virus but the virus would be right back up again when lifted
    Doing that over and over rinse and repeat would add fuel to the fire

The well respected Dr Peter Navarro of who would tell you that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nobotty wrote: »
    That IS NOT true
    Closing down the country instead of local areas would be wrong IMO
    It certainly would suppress the virus but the virus would be right back up again when lifted
    Doing that over and over rinse and repeat would add fuel to the fire

The well respected Dr Peter Navarro of who would tell you that

What's an acceptable daily death level to you to keep the country open?

The Agriculture minister on morning Ireland this morning put it simply. All the directives and guidelines are a waste of time if people carry on regardless. Cop on folks. Avoid unnecessary contact and travel. If worried about crowded food stores, use Click and Collect or home deliveries.
    We have 4 weeks to save Christmas. Let’s do it. For each other. For ourselves. For the children who want Santa to be safe on his travels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »

What's an acceptable daily death level from cirrhosis to you to keep the pubs open?

What's an acceptable daily death level from road accidents to you not to ban cars?

What's an acceptable daily death level from heart attacks to you not to make exercise compulsory for everyone?

Generally, one really stupid question leads to more stupid questions.

One that does not include suicides and poor mental health from young people and young adults or the general population or 1000's of lost jobs never to be restored leading to that
    You are asking the wrong question

No party except the anarchist pbp want to kill the virus ie have a zero covid policy
    Zero covid in Ireland is impossible because the money needed to fund it isn't there and the DUP won't close the GB North border

I know people here want to continue the tit for tat
    It serves no purpose, the virus and the wider virus measures damage to society doesn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Agriculture minister on morning Ireland this morning put it simply.

I had a wee giggle that they had let him out after he survived for 40 days. :):)

You canny fook up if you are locked away I suppose.

Thought he was awfully full of the patronising soundbites and a bit vague on the hard facts myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pity more wouldn’t do it, our country needs more contribution and less entitlement.

Sure thousands did and were left high and dry Brenner, where have you been:confused:

Be On Call For Ireland: Only 209 workers given role in health service while 1,600 remain in a 'pool

OF THE 73,000 people who applied for the government’s Be On Call For Ireland campaign to recruit healthcare workers, only 209 of them have been placed into a role in the health service.

Have another go at that bren.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Sure thousands did and were left high and dry Brenner, where have you been:confused:

Be On Call For Ireland: Only 209 workers given role in health service while 1,600 remain in a 'pool

But but Sinn Fein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

Correct me if I am wrong but having 1600 people in a pool available to start working if needed is a good thing is it not? Also according to the link 720 are "job ready" which means an large outbreak in the morning means the HSE can have 720 additional staff very quickly and 1600 people more available if required. I would have seen that as a positive.

From your own link:

"Separately, a further 1,975 were recruited across four of the seven hospital groups in Ireland to assist in combating Covid-19."

"Of the 73,000 who applied for the Be On Call initiative, 44,000 of them self-identified as administrative/support/volunteers.

“It should be noted that significant numbers who applied for the ‘Be on Call for Ireland’ did not have experience in healthcare, however, in a time of national crisis it was heartening for the general public, and indeed the health services, to see the level of goodwill towards supporting the health and social care sectors,” the HSE told Cullinane.

The remaining 29,000 were whittled down to people not already working in the health service but were fully qualified and available to work and this was whittled down to under 3,000 candidates.

However, several hundred people have discontinued the process and are no longer available, citing reasons such as returning to work, caring responsibilities and health concerns."

So, only 3,000 of the 75,000 were "people not already working in the health service but were fully qualified and available to work"

Of this 3,000, 209 were employed by the HSE and 1,975 across four of the seven hospital groups, leaving approximately 700 who could have been employed across the other three hospital groups.

When you look past the sensationalist news headline, and the silly ignorant interventions from Sinn Fein, there is no story here.

The Agriculture minister on morning Ireland this morning put it simply. All the directives and guidelines are a waste of time if people carry on regardless. Cop on folks. Avoid unnecessary contact and travel. If worried about crowded food stores, use Click and Collect or home deliveries.
    We have 4 weeks to save Christmas. Let’s do it. For each other. For ourselves. For the children who want Santa to be safe on his travels.

If we followed NPHETS guidance two weeks ago we'd be half way through now and cases greatly reduced. We'd be looking good for Christmas.

What's an acceptable daily death level from cirrhosis to you to keep the pubs open?

What's an acceptable daily death level from road accidents to you not to ban cars?

What's an acceptable daily death level from heart attacks to you not to make exercise compulsory for everyone?

Generally, one really stupid question leads to more stupid questions.

I didn't know car accidents were contagious. From this post I take it you're saying there's no point managing the pandemic anymore? Admitting defeat?

I didn't know car accidents were contagious. From this post I take it you're saying there's no point managing the pandemic anymore? Admitting defeat?

No, I didn't say that, stop inventing words.

There is a very delicate balance between maintaining public wellbeing and mental health, controlling the pandemic, ensuring the hospitals are not overwhelmed and keeping the economy sufficiently open to pay for all of that.

Very easy to criticise one aspect of that without looking at the picture as a whole. When you do look at the big picture, you see that our government is so far doing a pretty good job compared to our neighbours in Northern Ireland, Great Britain and France, for example.

No, I didn't say that, stop inventing words.

There is a very delicate balance between maintaining public wellbeing and mental health, controlling the pandemic, ensuring the hospitals are not overwhelmed and keeping the economy sufficiently open to pay for all of that.

Very easy to criticise one aspect of that without looking at the picture as a whole. When you do look at the big picture, you see that our government is so far doing a pretty good job compared to our neighbours in Northern Ireland, Great Britain and France, for example.

Drawing it out and having quazi level three then moving to higher levels later on is better for people's heath you think?

The Govt FAILED by not following NHEPTs advice

They will have to try and make amends somehow, actually start talking to each other and get their messages out in a way which the epeople will listen. No more LV saying one thing and MM saying another would help

The Govt FAILED by not following NHEPTs advice

They will have to try and make amends somehow, actually start talking to each other and get their messages out in a way which the epeople will listen. No more LV saying one thing and MM saying another would help

It's our fault. We just can't keep away from doorbells.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1316813476401049600?s=19

It's our fault. We just can't keep away from doorbells.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1316813476401049600?s=19

Them Sinn Fein doorbells no doubt......

Drawing it out and having quazi level three then moving to higher levels later on is better for people's heath you think?

Thats just simply incorrect
    Level 5 doesn't kill the virus it suppresses it to take pressure off the health service
    6 weeks after lifting you are heading back to square one meaning you need another level 5

Problem is people not adhering to guidelines
    Several level 5s and we are broke and still sick
    Plus we have a lot of depression

Even Dr Holohan will accept and has said many times that they give the medical advice but governments have to weigh that up with all the other factors

• Advertisement

Level 5 doesn't kill the virus it suppresses it to take pressure off the health service
    6 weeks after lifting you are heading back to square one meaning you need another level 5

Even Dr Holohan will accept and has said many times that they give the medical advice but governments have to weigh that up with all the other factors

Enforcement powers need to be brought in to combat the house parties, etc. When hospitality reopens do spot checks on all premises - those in compliance stay open and those not in compliance must close immediately.

You're saying back to square one? So you're telling me cases 6 weeks after the March lockdown ended were the same level of infections as when we entered lockdown?

You're saying back to square one? So you're telling me cases 6 weeks after the March lockdown ended were the same level of infections as when we entered lockdown?

No I'm saying 6 months after March too many people have got fed up careless and complacent
    Let them out again and this new complacency won't be cured
    The only way people learn is through their wallet
    We need to be fining for no masks
    Fining for no social distancing in shops and fining for breaking any restrictions

Otherwise we will all have the ultimate fine a broke country and a still sick country

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Enforcement powers need to be brought in to combat the house parties, etc. When hospitality reopens do spot checks on all premises - those in compliance stay open and those not in compliance must close immediately.

Yes yes and triple yes
    Its one of many areas I would criticise this government on
    The restrictions need to be legally enforced

The YoYo begins next week by the looks of things

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1016/1171882-coronavirus-ireland/

Our Govt have failed us. Didnt listen for 2 2 weeks, of course they knew better, crowd of Gobsites and not 1 had the balls to come out in public and say we made a mistake or they didnt agree with it at the time (and no way did everyone agree)

Our Govt have failed us. Didnt listen for 2 2 weeks, of course they knew better, crowd of Gobsites and not 1 had the balls to come out in public and say we made a mistake or they didnt agree with it at the time (and no way did everyone agree)

It’s the gob****es who ignore the guidelines that are letting us down.

Well how come Mary Lou is on radio one now,refusing to answer Dobson on whether level 5 is warranted
    Is she a gobsh1te too?
    No she isn't
    She's reflecting how difficult this decision is and you should too
    I think now its inevitable that the government will do national level 5 and that I think is going to be the start of a yo yo unless people change and they won't

Mess Mess Mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

It’s the gob****es who ignore the guidelines that are letting us down.

Also true but clearly the government called it wrong.

It was a no win for government either side of the border as had they gone for a full lockdown a couple of weeks ago the same mob so delighted now would be blaming the government for "wrecking the economy" by overreacting. We know now they should have just followed the medical advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Well how come Mary Lou is on radio one now,refusing to answer Dobson on whether level 5 is warranted
    Is she a gobsh1te too?
    No she isn't
    She's reflecting how difficult this decision is and you should too
    I think now its inevitable that the government will do national level 5 and that I think is going to be the start of a yo yo unless people change and they won't

Mess Mess Mess

Moving to Level 5 will invariably mean hundreds of thousands of people losing their jobs, businesses never reopening, the pot to pay for income support, PUP running dry far before April, and an economic depression that will impact the entire country for generations.

You balance that with increased numbers of people dying if you don't move soon to Level-5. The first country in Europe to move to a full lockdown again despite not having particularly high incidence figures.

Politics is tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement