Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    I will once you tell us all about these Negative Market Caps I keep hearing about.

Will that get our 42 billion back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Considering where we were only a decade ago, this is pretty impressive news.

Ireland has second-highest quality of life in the world, according to the UN https://jrnl.ie/5303638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Ireland has second-highest quality of life in the world, according to the UN https://jrnl.ie/5303638

Were did we come a decade ago?

Bowie wrote: »
    Were did we come a decade ago?

I meant in the context that it looked like the country was on the brink of a complete collapse only a decade ago, and we are now the strongest growing economy in the OECD and 2nd on the UN HDI.

We were 10th on the list in 2012.

Great news story all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I meant in the context that it looked like the country was on the brink of a complete collapse only a decade ago, and we are now the strongest growing economy in the OECD and 2nd on the UN HDI.

These lads only deal in negativity Bubba.

• Advertisement

Ah, yes. It's great in context.
    I can't get the bunting out on an economy that ignores record breaking societal crises.

We came 18th in regards of 'rich nations' and Child Poverty.
    UN to examine whether Irish tax policy harms rights of children overseas

I can't get the bunting out on an economy that ignores record breaking societal crises.

There is an issue with children growing up in households where there is nobody working, I think we are the worst in the OECD in that regard and they would default into the "child poverty" measurement you have linked to. I agree that needs looking at and the reason for it.

Edit: I also just noticed that the report you linked to is over 20 years old. Anything more recent? Or is your argument that we aren't doing that well in 2020 because we were 18th in that other report in 2000?

Edit 2: Found a more recent version of the same report, from 2012. Which showed Ireland to be one of the best "rich" countries when it came to child poverty. So now I see why you linked to the 2000 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't know what paradise you are comparing Ireland to, but it is time that people woke up, looked around and realised that we are lucky to be living in a country like this.

Just look tonight again at our nearest neighbours on this island, with their hospitals overflowing again and people dying. Let's not import their political parties.

There is an issue with children growing up in households where there is nobody working, I think we are the worst in the OECD in that regard and they would default into the "child poverty" measurement you have linked to. I agree that needs looking at and the reason for it.

Edit: I also just noticed that the report you linked to is over 20 years old. Anything more recent? Or is your argument that we aren't doing that well in 2020 because we were 18th in that other report in 2000?

Edit 2: Found a more recent version of the same report, from 2012. Which showed Ireland to be one of the best "rich" countries when it came to child poverty. So now I see why you linked to the 2000 version.

Oh dear, that went badly for him.

You're right. My mistake.
    How Ireland has failed 760,000 people living in poverty

15.7% of Ireland’s population live below the poverty line. Put another way, over three quarters of a million or 760,000 people in Ireland live below the poverty line.
    Poverty rates fall slightly overall but worsen for vulnerable groups

Any good news is welcome but politicians have been crowing about how great the economy is right up to the last crash and right after we got the loan to take us out of it. IMO there is no trickle down unless government policy allows it.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh dear, that went badly for him.

If I was the type of person who told lies or never held his hand up to an error, yeah, sure.

I don't know what paradise you are comparing Ireland to, but it is time that people woke up, looked around and realised that we are lucky to be living in a country like this.

Just look tonight again at our nearest neighbours on this island, with their hospitals overflowing again and people dying. Let's not import their political parties.

Thankfully SF are pushing for an all Ireland solution and following advice were the DUP want to keep restrictions light for the Christmas. So aside from FG, we don't really have a DUP type party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Thankfully SF are pushing for an all Ireland solution and following advice were the DUP want to keep restrictions light for the Christmas. So aside from FG, we don't really have a DUP type party.

We are about a week behind the North on Covid, come New year the figures will be more or less level, anyone who thinks different is on the same weed as MM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Bit busy today but did Leo get asked about the Bailout comment in the Dail today during Co-Leaders questions? If so, what did he say?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bit busy today but did Leo get asked about the Bailout comment in the Dail today during Co-Leaders questions? If so, what did he say?

Apparently Micky "Misspoke" but he agreed there was a bailout
    https://www.thejournal.ie/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-2-5303286-Dec2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I for one can't wait for Sinn Féin to get into power down here and build 60,000 social houses for everyone in 5 years.

And we were 5th in 2008. Good for now but this up and down seems to be part and parcel of the boom bust cycle we've gone for. We're at the top of an economic cycle now so the goal will be to maintain living standards in the event of a downturn.

Any good news is welcome but politicians have been crowing about how great the economy is right up to the last crash and right after we got the loan to take us out of it. IMO there is no trickle down unless government policy allows it.

Do you even read your own links?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0523/1051220-how-ireland-has-failed-760-000-people-living-in-poverty/

"In European comparative data, the "at risk of poverty" rate for Ireland comes in at 15.6% for 2017. This is undeniably better than many, such as Turkey (22.8%), Serbia (25.7%) and Bulgaria (23.4%). It’s broadly in line with a cluster of others such Poland (15%), Sweden (15.8%) and the United Kingdom (17%). Nevertheless, it is behind Finland (11.5%), Norway (12.3%) or Denmark (12.4%)."

We are closer to the top of the list than the bottom of the list.

All of the data on poverty has pointed to one problem in Ireland that is bigger than any other - inter-generational dependency on welfare. You refuse to acknowledge that, but by every other metric, we do excellently, whether it is average income or quality of life.

The time for general and generic whinging about poverty in Ireland is gone, we need to focus on the particular problems that we have and the biggest of those is life-long welfare. How do we get people off welfare and into productive employment?

smurgen wrote: »
    And we were 5th in 2008. Good for now but this up and down seems to be part and parcel of the boom bust cycle we've gone for. We're at the top of an economic cycle now so the goal will be to maintain living standards in the event of a downturn.

You are now arguing that staying top-10 in the world for quality of life during the deepest recession this country has ever seen somehow represents a problem or a failure?

Impossible to see how we might do better.

Do you even read your own links?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0523/1051220-how-ireland-has-failed-760-000-people-living-in-poverty/

"In European comparative data, the "at risk of poverty" rate for Ireland comes in at 15.6% for 2017. This is undeniably better than many, such as Turkey (22.8%), Serbia (25.7%) and Bulgaria (23.4%). It’s broadly in line with a cluster of others such Poland (15%), Sweden (15.8%) and the United Kingdom (17%). Nevertheless, it is behind Finland (11.5%), Norway (12.3%) or Denmark (12.4%)."

We are closer to the top of the list than the bottom of the list.

All of the data on poverty has pointed to one problem in Ireland that is bigger than any other - inter-generational dependency on welfare. You refuse to acknowledge that, but by every other metric, we do excellently, whether it is average income or quality of life.

The time for general and generic whinging about poverty in Ireland is gone, we need to focus on the particular problems that we have and the biggest of those is life-long welfare. How do we get people off welfare and into productive employment?

Good.

Not true. I fully recognise that. You refuse to understand why.
    Working tax payers are in need of aid because they can't afford rents among other things. Are you suggesting the government gives away money to them that don't like to work? You refuse time and again to accept many working tax payers avail of state aid.
    There are not big numbers of people sitting idle signing on.
    It's very Tory/FG to try blame lazy people 'who don't like to get up early of a morning' to paraphrase the ignorant spin from Varadkar.

My point is it's grand that the economy is doing well but it means **** all if the government are ****/selfish or a mix of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Apparently Micky "Misspoke" but he agreed there was a bailout
    https://www.thejournal.ie/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-2-5303286-Dec2020/

Wow
    “There was a bailout of the banks 12 years ago and the Taoiseach misspoke yesterday"

Egg on face...another one for the next election campaign.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-un-human-development-index-2019-5303638-Dec2020/?utm_source=facebook_short&fbclid=IwAR2LuKeYCT9GJZzX8LxvTeejLoYS80tU4KkHWOZY21Jw80gqmSYii0jWWzY

Ireland has the second highest quality of life in the world according to the UN.

But it's a **** hole according to SF and their merry band of followers!!!

Second highest quality of life according to the UN!!!

Oh but the people living in poverty, all used from a ridiculous set of criteria like not been able to eat out every 2 weeks!!

Give me a break FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Are you suggesting the government gives away money to them that don't like to work?

I'm not sure on the liking work part, but the government 100% are giving money to the 1 in 6 households who are not working. Many conveniently forget that or downplay it when it suits them.

Fantastic country for the 3000.kids in homeless,the 60 or so homeless deaths this year,the out-of-control suicide situation

How many thousands are left to rot in direct provision?

I'm pretty sure there is suicides in every county in the world.

As for the 3,000 homeless children.

I blame the parents.

If you make an effort in this country you won't be stuck in a hotel waiting for your forever home like Maggie Cash and Erica Fleming.

Nothing is free in this life, and these people need to realise this.

That's life and noone said it was a walk in the park.

Just wondering. One of those metrics is GNI per capita. Isn't Modified GNI or Net National Income probably a better metric? Doesn't the multinational effect or "Leprechaun economics" distort GDP and GNI for Ireland?

Fantastic country for the 3000.kids in homeless,the 60 or so homeless deaths this year,the out-of-control suicide situation

Fantastic country for the 10s of thosand young adults stuck at home,because rents are out of control

How many thousands are left to rot in direct provision?

Who exactly was interviewed for this puff piece of rubbish?

Yeah they should have just interviewed you ay?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-un-human-development-index-2019-5303638-Dec2020/?utm_source=facebook_short&fbclid=IwAR2LuKeYCT9GJZzX8LxvTeejLoYS80tU4KkHWOZY21Jw80gqmSYii0jWWzY

Ireland has the second highest quality of life in the world according to the UN.

But it's a **** hole according to SF and their merry band of followers!!!

Link to a single merry follower or a SHinner themselves call it a '****hole'?

Link to a single merry follower or a SHinner themselves call it a '****hole'?

Give over Francie.

You know this is the SF mantra just not in those exact words.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

I'm pretty sure there is suicides in every county in the world.

As for the 3,000 homeless children.

I blame the parents.

If you make an effort in this country you won't be stuck in a hotel waiting for your forever home like Maggie Cash and Erica Fleming.

Nothing is free in this life, and these people need to realise this.

That's life and noone said it was a walk in the park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement