Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »
    I wish her and her family a speedy recovery.

One wonders if the same lads bemoaning MLMD for isolating for having "a head cold" and "disappearing" will be screaming the same things about Helen, now the shoes on the other foot?

Yes, I recall the slagging metered out for her self isolating.
    We'd one poster surmise it was made up by herself and Tubridy for PR purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Looking at the immediate (dare I say unprecedented) ****storm on Twitter over the Leaving Cert, I predict another u-turn...what are they thinking/doing. Chaotic government again.

Looking at the immediate (dare I say unprecedented) ****storm on Twitter over the Leaving Cert, I predict another u-turn...what are they thinking/doing. Chaotic government again.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Cop on, folks. Stay home. Stay safe.

How do teachers and the families of a Leaving Cert student 'stay safe'?

The Leaving Cert curriculum is usually all covered by now. All that happens from Christmas on is mocks and revision. Cut out the money spinning mocks and focus on the base subjects, remotely if possible. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Leaving cert students to go to school 3 days a week, the Dail will only sit one day a week. Is this government even in the same universe as everyone else?

There wouldn't be much of a sh*tstorm over the leaving if they government weren't looking to cut their own time to one day a week.

Based on RTE radio one all day today they are damned if they flip flop on an almost daily basis. Currently okay for kids to go three days a week for leaving cert but only one day a week for Dail sittings in a massive hall :rolleyes:

Do you suggest people take personal responsibility and tell MM to get ****ed or if they obey and get covid it's on them for choosing to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You know, Smurgen, some of us can actually think for ourselves. We don’t need the government to tell us how bad things are and that we’re safest staying home and avoiding people, including our children, siblings, etc as the alternative could lead to us never seeing them ever again.

It is the entitlement culture, Maryanne.

They told us we could do what we like, so we did it, it's their fault, give us compensation. No sense of personal responsibility. It has now infiltrated many levels of society.

Look at the teachers today. With three days a week from only Leaving Certificate students, the weekly throughput of students in a school has been reduced by 90%, yet still they are complaining and whinging, from tonight's RTE report:

TUI President Martin Marjoram said: 'We are gravely concerned by today's developments.

"This premature decision of Government is deeply damaging to the trust and confidence that has allowed us to keep schools open since September, despite the various problems.

"Our members do not have trust and confidence that opening schools to Leaving Certificate students as is proposed can be safely achieved under the current circumstances."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah here, this is hysterical nonsense taken to the ultimate.

How do families of Tesco workers stay safe? Families of nursing home workers? Families of gardai?

Schools have been shown to be among the safest workplace in the pandemic (any teacher who disagrees should be given a week in a meat factory). Weekly school throughput will be reduced by 90% if Leaving Cert students are there three times a week.

A brave but good decision by the government.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ah here, this is hysterical nonsense taken to the ultimate.

How do families of Tesco workers stay safe? Families of nursing home workers? Families of gardai?

Schools have been shown to be among the safest workplace in the pandemic (any teacher who disagrees should be given a week in a meat factory). Weekly school throughput will be reduced by 90% if Leaving Cert students are there three times a week.

A brave but good decision by the government.

If schools are 'safe' why are they closing most of them?

Sooner or later the bull**** flip flopping has to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

On personal responsibility, it is perhaps unsurprising that 4 of the 5 counties with the highest daily Covid rates are also 4 of the 5 highest for levels of drink driving convictions in the last 10 years. Monaghan, Louth, Donegal and Cavan.
    Can anyone from those areas explain this? Is it a spurious correlation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think they said they will start doing that at the daily briefings shortly.

Probably sent Paschal to PC World to get a computer capable of doing it. :)

Nah, the one from China they ordered last March finally arrived, rumours that the keyboard is in Mandarin have been dismissed

Jaysus...they aren't even considering advice now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1346896852604608515

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Megalomanics in charge.

Ah the earlier attack on teachers/unions makes sense for they were not consulted either.

Who do these clowns think they are? They don't want to accept responsibility yet give out these restrictions without consultation and expect them to be followed. Joke.

They'll flip on the 3 days right course of action within 48 hours....and of course that will be doing the right thing too :rolleyes:

Bowie wrote: »
    Ah the earlier attack on teachers/unions makes sense for they were not consulted either.

Who do these clowns think they are? They don't want to accept responsibility yet give out these restrictions without consultation and expect them to be followed. Joke.

They'll flip on the 3 days right course of action within 48 hours....and of course that will be doing the right thing too :rolleyes:

It's utterly bizarre carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bowie wrote: »

I'd have to just turn that down if I was a teacher. Your health is worth more than a job. Covid seems to be a roll of the dice health wise and different people are having completely different reactions. It's not worth the risk.

Just now on TV3 news, reporting that Norma refused on many media interviews this evening whether to confirm or deny whether they consulted with Nphet on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Senior hurling boys and girls, senior hurling.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just now on TV3 news, reporting that Norma refused on many media interviews this evening whether to confirm or deny whether they consulted with Nphet on this issue.

Repeatedly asked on Drivetime. She wouldn't give a straight answer so the presenter took it as she had not and she didn't dispute it.
    Chancer.

• Advertisement

ASTI and TUI both saying they weren't consulted by Norma with regard to schooling issues contrary to what she says.

Someone's telling porkies, Norma.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just now on TV3 news, reporting that Norma refused on many media interviews this evening whether to confirm or deny whether they cShe onsulted with Nphet on this issue.

She refused to say 3 times on RTE. I see she has sparked off a strike. Another dead minister walking IMO.

She has lost the confidence of students and teachers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's utterly bizarre carry on.

My thoughts exactly. Bizarre. I think many are confused by the 3 day LC idea. I can see the government backtracking on that one fairly soon.
    Foley was a very poor choice for minister for education but then again, FFG hasn't got a great pool to pick from.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

My thoughts exactly. Bizarre. I think many are confused by the 3 day LC idea. I can see the government backtracking on that one fairly soon.
    Foley was a very poor choice for minister for education but then again, FFG hasn't got a great pool to pick from.

Minister will take the fall for it, but these guys sat around at cabinet for most of the day discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Minister will take the fall for it, but these guys sat around at cabinet for most of the day discussing this.

I think the government are trying to make a point here and also trying to make sure that some of their past comments don't look stupid (like Madigan's just yesterday :D). But they clearly don't have the unions/teachers on board so it will be an A in Chaos.

I also doubt the Dept of Education have provided the adequate support to teachers since March so the level of service to students will be patchy at best in this term.

No learnings, no planning, no foresight, no contingency plans, no leadership, no accountability.......just reactive chaos.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I think the government are trying to make a point here and also trying to make sure that some of their past comments don't look stupid (like Madigan's just yesterday :D). But they clearly don't have the unions/teachers on board so it will be an A in Chaos.

I also doubt the Dept of Education have provided the adequate support to teachers since March so the level of service to students will be patchy at best in this term.

No learnings, no planning, no foresight, no contingency plans, no leadership, no accountability.......just reactive chaos.

All the money spent on govt advisors and they continuously fall from one disaster into another. Can't wait to see the roll back on this latest cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The LC students on a 3 day week is the most ridiculous thing I've heard during the whole pandemic.

Either close the feckin schools or keep them open, this 3 day a week thing is absolutely pish, The virus is spreadable and infectious regardless of how many days they're in or not.

They should reverse it now before they look like bigger plonkers doing it in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The LC students on a 3 day week is the most ridiculous thing I've heard during the whole pandemic.

Either chose the feckin schools or keep them open, this 3 day a week thing is absolutely pish, and they should reverse it now before they look like bigger plonkers doing it in a few weeks.

A part time virus.

Either close the feckin schools or keep them open, this 3 day a week thing is absolutely pish, The virus is spreadable and infectious regardless of how many days they're in or not.

They should reverse it now before they look like bigger plonkers doing it in a few weeks.

Not willing to take hard decisions, like they have done in the north. Popularity before people...as it always was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I am yet to meet a single person in real life who admits to voting for FF. FG extremely rare too. Where black holes are all their voters coming from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement