Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,978 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    Imagine the we all knew point holds no water. The extent of the abuse was not widely know. There's been cover up after cover up. If society knew what was happening the gritty details then tell me this. How come even now in Bessborough we don't know where the bodies are?

Can't believe somebody is this naive. At least you use the word "imagine", because it is your imagination. Teachers taught children from the Mother and Babys Homes in the local schools. Children sat beside them in school. Parents saw them coming and going. The situation was obvious.

Parents put their daughters in these places. Either they knew what happened the daughters and the subsequent babies or they didn't care enough to ask. The stigma of being born out of wedlock lasted up until the 90s and probably lingers in some circles even today.

People knew what was going on. The chose not to see it and not to do anything about it.

smurgen wrote: »
    It's like right now do we see rte inside the direct provision centers videoing condition. Sure we know it's bad but are the gritty details spread on six o clock news? If they were the calls to close it would get louder.

Define "bad" in the context of a direct provision centre?

Is it bad like a refugee camp in Syria? Is it bad like a crowded boat crossing the English Channel? Is it bad like the camps outside Calais? Perspective is lacking from some.

Bowie wrote: »
    What part of 'specifically mention the Garda and politicians' do you not comprehend?

We all share a blame. Do you think the institutions should apologise or not?
    How do you feel about the whole thing? You've not commented other than to try shut others down IMO.

How am I shutting others down?

I don't go around reporting posts trying to shut people up. I don't deny you your right to an opinion. I do parse, analyse, criticise and debunk your opinion, but I won't deny you the right to hold the opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Alan Kelly response
    The Labour leader Alan Kelly said the Dáil should introduce legislation to secure assets from religious institutions if they do not contribute to the State's scheme for survivors of Mother and Baby Homes.
    He told the Dáil that he would draft the bill himself.

Deputy Kelly repeated that it should take weeks rather than months to introduce legislation to assist survivors.

He said the Government's end-of-year deadline should revised, adding that opposition parties would facilitate such a move.

He said he supported a call from the Irish Council for Civil Liberties for a separate investigation to examine the "system of secret adoption and family separation to add to our knowledge about this shameful history".
    He described Catherine Corless as "a hero of this nation".

Why does it take so long for FFG to compile important legislation? If the banks needed a bailout, it would be done in a day.

They have made a bags of it. They really have. The optics are terrible. The Green party know they took a bullet here too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

So how long before we have a commission of investigation into the direct provision centres?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    How am I shutting others down?

I don't go around reporting posts trying to shut people up. I don't deny you your right to an opinion. I do parse, analyse, criticise and debunk your opinion, but I won't deny you the right to hold the opinion.

IMO, yes. You are looking to deflect with RBB or SF. Rather than discuss the actual points you are engaging in whatabout and faux disgust.
    Martin apologised for the Mother and Baby House wrongs. Still waiting on Gerry, Mary-Lou and Michelle to apologise for all the wrongs committed by the PIRA.

You were just talking about RBB using victims :rolleyes:
    So you'd be happy if MLMD apologised on your behalf for your family's part in the troubles but didn't specifically mention SF or the IRA?

Alan Kelly response

Why does it take so long for FFG to compile important legislation? If the banks needed a bailout, it would be done in a day.

They have made a bags of it. They really have. The optics are terrible. The Green party know they took a bullet here too.

Good man Kelly. He's going up in my view.

Martin apologised for the Mother and Baby House wrongs. Still waiting on Gerry, Mary-Lou and Michelle to apologise for all the wrongs committed by the PIRA.

I am embarrassed for you Blanch. Today of all days, cop on and show some empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Provos apologized for all the non combatants that were killed by them during the troubles. Why would anyone else apologise on their behalf after that? Did you miss the report from a few weeks ago that stated they (Sinn Fein and the army council) were completely separate from one another, neither one controlled the other?

But, are you trying to deflect here, after whinging about the likes of this happening?

Surely not blanch, surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Did MM apologise on behalf of FF considering they were in power for most of 20th century?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Are people really trying to compare body tallies between IRA and this? We are talking about babies, children and infants in A THOUSANDS over decades. Lukewarm level range IQ.

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Are people really trying to compare body tallies between IRA and this? We are talking about babies, children and infants in A THOUSANDS over decades. Lukewarm level range IQ.

Just the blueshirts. Was to be expected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just the blueshirts. Was to be expected anyway.

They must be stuck in deflect mode.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did MM apologise on behalf of FF considering they were in power for most of 20th century?

No, he apologised for you on your behalf. It really is the 'we all partied', 'all went mad' attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, he apologised for you on your behalf. It really is the 'we all partied', 'all went mad' attitude.

Same with Covid...twas the people wot done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Have I a chip on my shoulder over this? ****ing right I do.

I'm quoting a survivor asking why the Garda specifically were not mentioned. She was taken from her home 8 months pregnant by a Garda, a Priest and a Doctor. She specifically statedy that the local FF/FG politicians were well aware and she's asking why MM said state and 'we' but not the Garda and politicians. Will you explain your chip or need to hand wave that away?

FFs the gardai are part of the state. Specifically the law part of the state.
    He can't mention every fecking arm of the state.

By saying the state, it emcompasses the entirety. But I've only ever seen you complain and find fault.

What he said was fairly encompassing on every aspect of life back then.

Edit: if he did break it down to particular sections of the state, you'd probably be on complaining he forgot one

Tell him thanks. At least Neary and some of the nuns came out and apologised. Was wondering would he put the hand up but obviously he's going down the 'we never had a bailout' route.

Triangle wrote: »

By saying the state, it emcompasses the entirety. But I've only ever seen you complain and find fault.

Well I thought the one arm of the State with responsibility for law and order should have been mentioned specifically for their negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

McMurphy wrote: »
    The Provos apologized for all the non combatants that were killed by them during the troubles. Why would anyone else apologise on their behalf after that? Did you miss the report from a few weeks ago that stated they (Sinn Fein and the army council) were completely separate from one another, neither one controlled the other?

But, are you trying to deflect here, after whinging about the likes of this happening?

Surely not blanch, surely not.

Off topic on this thread, but they still haven't identified where some of the murdered people were buried. Not a great apology imo.

Off topic on this thread, but they still haven't identified where some of the murdered people were buried. Not a great apology imo.

Comparing bodies now. Terrible.

• Advertisement

Edit: if he did break it down to particular sections of the state, you'd probably be on complaining he forgot one

The survivors want specific institutions such as the Garda, Church/religious affiliates and political parties to apologise for their role. A blanket 'we' apology isn't enough. I agree.

Edit: He did and I do as do the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Donnelly trying to bully the Leas CC and coming off second best. Hard to dispel the arrogant cloud around him.

https://twitter.com/PapaFilippoG/status/1349447574042914816

Excellent speech by Catherine Connolly TD in the Dail today.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/listen-galway-td-critical-of-final-report-on-mother-and-baby-homes/

A lady of great compassion. Probably the best contribution by anyone today. It's just 5 mins long.

Donnelly trying to bully the Leas CC and coming off second best. Hard to dispel the arrogant cloud around him.

https://twitter.com/PapaFilippoG/status/1349447574042914816

She is a better TD than anyone in FFG. Arrogant fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did Eamon Ryan actually fall asleep again today or is it fake news?

Did Eamon Ryan actually fall asleep again today or is it fake news?

Not heard. TBF, it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

An important fact check as the government spin picks up pace.Did the government actually follow NPHET's advice heading into December? Nope.

https://www.thejournal.ie/factfind-stephen-donnelly-nphet-5323575-Jan2021/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

smurgen wrote:
    An important fact check as the government spin picks up pace.Did the government actually follow NPHET's advice heading into December? Nope.

The needs of the economy were far more important, the poor petal it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The needs of the economy were far more important, the poor petal it is

What needs of the economy are being met now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

smurgen wrote:
    What needs of the economy are being met now?

Exactly, the needs of the economy, now no longer match the needs of the humans it was created for

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement