Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Francie, I don't need to google it... I've been practising in the media law field for something like 13 years. Remind me of your credentials?

No, speaking as somebody with common sense.

This debate between the two of you is highly enlightening.
    We have, on one hand, someone qualified in Law arguing points of law with a layman who thinks 'common sense' will outdo actual law. :D

There is the problem of the internet right there. Anyone with a broadband connection can pretend that a google search will give them the same insight to be a solicitor/doctor/medical professional/scientist/etc...

12aefaa7ba5611b60d49d11a0ee09586.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any comment on the contents of the Irish times article? How do people feel about Leo's mate having the document before the Minister of Health?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    The same childcare workers looking after the children of the other essential workers like retail workers, nurses, meat factory workers etc.

That's if your child had a place in such a facility.

Many teachers I know were getting their kids minded with grandparents but are unwilling to risk it now and why should they?

smurgen wrote: »
    Any comment on the contents of the Irish times article? How do people feel about Leo's mate having the document before the Minister of Health?

Sure it's Leo, he's grand, just a wee misunderstanding, nothing to see really.......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    So when I retweet a newspaper article that is about one of Leo's/ *enter anyone's name here* many brain farts to highlight the stupidity of same, I'm directly saying it myself, and or endorsing it

Who knew:confused:

I have explained this a few times, so perhaps you don't understand how to use Twitter either. Pearse didn't simply retweet the article without comment, he made his own comment as well which was as I quoted him.

As I have said before, I am not a Twitter person, but I do know the difference between retweeting without comment and retweeting with comment.

• Advertisement

grayzer75 wrote: »
    That's if your child had a place in such a facility.

Many teachers I know were getting their kids minded with grandparents but are unwilling to risk it now and why should they?

How are the retail workers who had their kids minded with grandparents getting on? Ditto gardai, firemen, nurses and doctors?

This idea that somehow there are special issues for the teachers going back to work is not going down well with all of the others who have had to go to work during the pandemic.

I know a nurse who was part-time before the pandemic because she was home for her kids. The hospital needed her full-time so she went full-time and had to make alternative arrangements for her kids. That is the sort of dedication to the job that the teacher unions are struggling to understand.

I also saw a segment on the news last week, again about a nurse, that has a special needs child and her sleep-time is when she comes in from work and he goes to school. How is she going to manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have explained this a few times, so perhaps you don't understand how to use Twitter either. Pearse didn't simply retweet the article without comment, he made his own comment as well which was as I quoted him.

As I have said before, I am not a Twitter person, but I do know the difference between retweeting without comment and retweeting with comment.

Well if there's anything false with the article Leo has just hit the jackpot as it's being bounced around there by all and sundry including a fair few Shinners. But somehow I don't think he will do anything.
    Wasn't there talk of him apparently suing Zero Craic or was it Cosgrove when this first blew up?

How are the retail workers who had their kids minded with grandparents getting on? Ditto gardai, firemen, nurses and doctors?

This idea that somehow there are special issues for the teachers going back to work is not going down well with all of the others who have had to go to work during the pandemic.

I know a nurse who was part-time before the pandemic because she was home for her kids. The hospital needed her full-time so she went full-time and had to make alternative arrangements for her kids. That is the sort of dedication to the job that the teacher unions are struggling to understand.

I also saw a segment on the news last week, again about a nurse, that has a special needs child and her sleep-time is when she comes in from work and he goes to school. How is she going to manage?

So you've no real solution.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    So you've no real solution.

I fully support the government's attempts to open schools for special needs pupils. Next in line should be Leaving Certificate students, then the infant classes.

As we move through these small-scale reopenings with small numbers of pupils and teachers, we can assess if any risks have materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have explained this a few times, so perhaps you don't understand how to use Twitter either.

Gavan Reilly is the first journalist I bothered my barney to copy his tweet. Shall I go on?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1351803059781963776?s=19

https://twitter.com/PearseDoherty/status/1351787381398102016?s=19
    Pearse didn't simply retweet the article without comment, he made his own comment as well which was as I quoted him.

You don't know the difference at all it seems as neither Reilly nor Doherty made any comment, they just "retweeted" the Irish times tweet.

Is this really the hill you want to perish on blanch? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How many nurses have complained about the situation they have been put into by a chaotically run health service?

Can you gaurantee 100% that noone will catch covid in these schools,when they reopen?

Without this.....it seems your happy to risk others lives and health to fulfil your political prioritys?.

Why can leaving.certs not be taught online.....and do the practical/lab work in march to april as covid gets squeezed out??

I can't 100% guarantee that nobody will catch Covid in a fire station, a garda station, a hospital, a nursing home, a meat factory, a supermarket, a warehouse, etc. etc., yet they are all open.

This isn't about political priorities, this is about the damage that is being done to children by the lack of education in school. That is why France is keeping schools open even though they have a 6 p.m. curfew in place.

5000 HCW have caught covid in this wave

FFG response: lets throw teachers and kids with underlying conditions into the.mix and risk their health too

So you think it is ok that doctors and nurses have to do their jobs, but that teachers and SNAs can sit at home?

Joespha Madigan having to apologise and correct the Dáil record for her use of the word 'normal' last week goes and puts her size 10's in it again this morning with a nasty ill tempered comparison of the Special Schools issue with the Mother and Baby Homes scandal.
    Between her and Foley we are in good hands are we not? Pitting parents against teachers to avoid any responsibility for their own mess. The FG FF government of chaos way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

High community transmission cases appear to be one of the main factors for SNAs etc not returning back to class.
    I suppose Govt must take most of the blame for those figures being in the 000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Joespha Madigan having to apologise and correct the Dáil record for her use of the word 'normal' last week goes and puts her size 10's in it again this morning with a nasty ill tempered comparison of the Special Schools issue with the Mother and Baby Homes scandal.
    Between her and Foley we are in good hands are we not? Pitting parents against teachers to avoid any responsibility for their own mess. The FG FF government of chaos way.

Both are having a nightmare time. Both out of their depth. Not getting much support from rest of cabinet either but that's a norm for this government.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The government are trying to take responsibility for the special needs children. Shame on the few teachers who are looking after number one.

The majority of teachers.
    What do you think about their claims the government hadn't engaged with them up until very recently? That over the last ten months they've not listened to teachers concerns? Would the way the government pick and choose advice to follow and flip flop so often possibly play a part? Maybe them telling everyone schools would open without talking to unions, teachers or parents? I'd say that's it myself.

markodaly wrote: »
    So why are the Unions dictating public health policy when it comes to the re-opening of schools?
    Teachers are good at teaching. They are not qualified health professionals.

Teachers have unions. Unions represent teachers interests.
    The government announced schools were opening before speaking with teachers/unions/parents.
    How do you feel about the government deciding which health advice to follow and Varadkar lying about it?

It looks like Leo jumped the gun. The minister hadn't got a copy because the deal wasn't finalised even as Leo posted a copy to a nobody really.
    Of course it's back in the headlines, it looks incredibly bad and this is a new twist given that everybody on the govt side said the deal was finalised, but it now appears that wasn't the case.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-leaked-gp-contract-while-minister-for-health-was-urgently-seeking-copy-1.4462651?mode=amp

There should be consequences. A person like Varadkar should not be privy to sensitive information. He's dishonest and not trustworthy.

Yeah, teachers know better than the public health officials?

Micheal and Leo seem to think they do...but that's 'personal responsibility' right?
    Maybe the teachers are evoking 'personal responsibility' because they know if they get sick or die MM/LV will cite 'personal responsibility'.

• Advertisement

She made comparisons between the plight of Mother and baby home survivors and special needs kids to try stick it to the unions. What a disgusting person IMO. Suits the FG party of recent years. I do feel for genuine FG members. Must be like Republican voters dealing with the Trump era.

Indeed 100s have caught covid in these situations,let you seem determined to ramp up social interactions and increase the risk...to appease ffg.

Deos france also coverup school outbreaks and try force management to stay open,even as covid rampant in its schools??

Are you still spouting the lie that school outbreaks were covered up?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    High community transmission cases appear to be one of the main factors for SNAs etc not returning back to class.
    I suppose Govt must take most of the blame for those figures being in the 000s.

Yes, of course, Ministers are running around in the community trying to ensure that as many people as possible contract Covid, hence their responsibility for it.

How many nurses have complained about the situation they have been put into by a chaotically run health service?

Not near as many as poor teachers!

Not near as many as poor teachers!

And issue avoided again by pointing at somebody else. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It's well established that the concept of retweeting something is as if you're saying it yourself. So I'm not sure you are making a coherent point here. Maybe try to set out what you're saying in a clear manner?

Mod

Take a week off from this thread. If/when you come back, cut the condescending crap and stop taking pokes at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am starting to think we will have a general election in late 2021 or early 2022.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I am starting to think we will have a general election in late 2021 or early 2022.

How?

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0120/1190897-covid-vaccines/

"The University of Limerick hospital group, which covers six hospitals, has confirmed that over 3,500 healthcare workers have been vaccinated since its programme began on 4 January last.

UHL, Ennis and Nenagh hospitals, the maternity hospital, St. John's Hospital and Croom Orthopaedic Hospital are all in the group."

What happened to the fake news that nurses in Nenagh hospital weren't being vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yeah because the coalition are only dying to throw their jobs and pensions into the wind for the craic?

Get a grip.

Mayyyyybe , if the FG election team felt it was time for a power grab, but doubtful they would bother late next year as Tánaiste Varadker will be getting his go again at the wheel. He will be Taoiseach again next year.

Neither Fianna Fáil or the Greens are in any position to do anything about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement