Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's one option.
    Which there is precedence for - 2001 Border was sealed so cattle didn't get sick
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/border-sealed-as-foot-and-mouth-campaign-intensifies-1.375434.

A better option would be an all Ireland approach. Keep the border with NI open but have quarantine for those arriving into the island of Ireland.

The UK govt is considering closing it's borders.
    Wales already closed it's borders to people from other parts of the UK.

It would make sense for ROI and NI to close at the same time under the same rules esp if Westminster does decided to close UK borders.

Cattle invariably can be contained, not so easy with people and a virus.

The simple solution from the get go was to secure the island.

A government senator was asked yesterday what efforts they had made to convince those against the idea of closing the island and evaded answering the question because no serious effort has been made and we know why. We have Stephen Donnelly accused of being written to 4 times by the northern Health minister and he DIDN'T reply.

The government of chaos are sitting on their hands and people are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It's one option.
    Which there is precedence for - 2001 Border was sealed so cattle didn't get sick
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/border-sealed-as-foot-and-mouth-campaign-intensifies-1.375434.

A better option would be an all Ireland approach. Keep the border with NI open but have quarantine for those arriving into the island of Ireland.

The UK govt is considering closing it's borders.
    Wales already closed it's borders to people from other parts of the UK.

It would make sense for ROI and NI to close at the same time under the same rules esp if Westminster does decided to close UK borders.

An all Ireland approach is always an option, but we are looking at our politicians on that and no joy.
    Which option, surely it has to be the northern one for some of our posters as ours is so crap?
    See, it is hypocritical at present from both sides.
    The medical advice from experts on both sides is mostly similar so be smart ourselves and follow that perhaps.
    Kept me safe so far.

Vaccination is our hope, because we here on the island both sides will never get it wiped out without it.

An all Ireland approach is always an option, but we are looking at our politicians on that and no joy.
    Which option, surely it has to be the northern one for some of our posters as ours is so crap?
    See, it is hypocritical at present from both sides.
    The medical advice from experts on both sides is mostly similar so be smart ourselves and follow that perhaps.
    Kept me safe so far.

Vaccination is our hope, because we here on the island both sides will never get it wiped out without it.

You forgot to add, - and if I am going to hold anyone to account it will be themuns up ^and over there >.

You forgot to add, - and if I am going to hold anyone to account it will be themuns up ^and over there >.

So what are you at? :D

So what are you at? :D

Holding my own government to account and not engaging in a macabre competition by pointing at somewhere else to excuse them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

blanch152 wrote: »
    We can't control what happens in Northern Ireland. There is great political difficulty in closing the border with Northern Ireland. Apart from the threats from good republicans if that happens, we have invested huge political capital over the last half-decade in the idea that the border is uncontrollable in the Brexit context. If we can close it for people, were we lying about closing it for goods?

Who said anything about controlling what happens in NI?

And we were able to close the borders 20 years ago but now with increased technology we can't? Jeeze.. we really have gone backwards during the intervening FF/FG govts haven't we.

You already know the rules governing goods are different as this was pointed out to you when you last waved that red herring.

All Ireland approach Blanch? *deafening silence*

Holding my own government to account and not engaging in a macabre competition by pointing at somewhere else to excuse them.

Nor am I, I'm just pointing out that govts everywhere made mistakes that at the time didn't seem to be so.
    So in an all Ireland scenario would you want the govt here to control the restrictions or the Northern assembly one?

And your post is pointing the finger which you're entitled to do, as am I when you want an AI approach as our main opposition are part of that and their end isn't up to much either is it.

A government senator was asked yesterday what efforts they had made to convince those against the idea of closing the island and evaded answering the question because no serious effort has been made and we know why. We have Stephen Donnelly accused of being written to 4 times by the northern Health minister and he DIDN'T reply.

Foot and Mouth is highly infectious and can be carried on people's foot ware etc. Remember all those 'wash your shoes' baths? I do.

Fact is - 'we' were able to shut down the border 20 years ago but apparently we can't now because it's apparently impossible. It obviously isn't. We already did it.

Personally I think an All Ireland approach would make more sense, but sense is in short supply in Govt circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Heh heh and if they tried to secure the island with your ‘simple solution’ you would have more people dying .... but from bombs and bullets .

Once again flowery unworkable ‘ideas’ with the benefit of hindsight and not a hope in hell if achieving them.

You couldn’t even put a shed up near the border for Gods sake man.

And people read and believe this stuff.

smurgen wrote: »
    Government dragged kicking and screaming to enforce quarantine. They have trailed public sentiment and expert advice at all times. Remember the signatures gathered to cancel Patrick's day last year by the public? The scientific and medical community are coming out in droves now for quarantine and travel restrictions.

https://twitter.com/TodaywithClaire/status/1352559382786146304?s=19

What a pity those traveling think so little of their loved ones, co workers etc by not quarantining for the 14 days. It’s isn’t just common sense. It’s exercising personal and civic responsibility. There are no excuses.

• Advertisement

Nor am I, I'm just pointing out that govts everywhere made mistakes that at the time didn't seem to be so.
    So in an all Ireland scenario would you want the govt here to control the restrictions or the Northern assembly one?

And your post is pointing the finger which you're entitled to do, as am I when you want an AI approach as our main opposition are part of that and their end isn't up to much either is it.

Both.
    It has to be a joint approach to work.

Shutting down the NI/ROI border would be a logistical nightmare but it is possible.
    Closing the whole island to all but essential goods and services less of a nightmare, but it would require people in certain ROI minister's offices actually answering their phones.

What a pity those traveling think so little of their loved ones, co workers etc by not quarantining for the 14 days. It’s isn’t just common sense. It’s exercising personal and civic responsibility. There are no excuses.

Have you started the petition to repeal Drunk Driving laws yet?

Have you started the petition to repeal Drunk Driving laws yet?

Drink driving doesn’t compare with an unprecedented global pandemic.

Who said anything about controlling what happens in NI?

And we were able to close the borders 20 years ago but now with increased technology we can't? Jeeze.. we really have gone backwards during the intervening FF/FG govts haven't we.

You already know the rules governing goods are different as this was pointed out to you when you last waved that red herring.

All Ireland approach Blanch? *deafening silence*

There will never be an AI approach Ban, not going to happen.
    But if our govt had the balls to seal the airport it wouldn't matter unless they had the balls to seal the border too.
    Now I'm only guessing here, but if they had done it and sealed up both, then the majority of posters on here now even if the Republic was covid free virtually, would be call our govt West brits, torys, and crying about the GFA and the right of travel.
    Muck stirrers most of them unfortunately and like a sizable tangent out there on Facebook and twitter, just trying anything to undermine what the govt are trying to achieve at all times no matter what it is

Foot and Mouth is highly infectious and can be carried on people's foot ware etc. Remember all those 'wash your shoes' baths? I do.

Fact is - 'we' were able to shut down the border 20 years ago but apparently we can't now because it's apparently impossible. It obviously isn't. We already did it.

Personally I think an All Ireland approach would make more sense, but sense is in short supply in Govt circles.

Yes. But carrying it to cattle here requires being on farms or in contact with animals.
    It is much easier to do and the F&M restrictions did not stop people moving across and back.
    It would have to be tantamount to a wall ti be effective in this instance.

Heh heh and if they tried to secure the island with your ‘simple solution’ you would have more people dying .... but from bombs and bullets .

Once again flowery unworkable ‘ideas’ with the benefit of hindsight and not a hope in hell if achieving them.

You couldn’t even put a shed up near the border for Gods sake man.

And people read and believe this stuff.

What?

Sorry, not seeing you calling your own government to account. Plenty of stuff about "but the shinners' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Show me the maths on the 567 number from the inputs you gave. 2,818 & 4.937m.

It is the number I got from
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It is right there on the website.... go look for yourself.
    Tell me how their math is wrong?

Now, do you know admit you are a hypocrite?

It will be a very interesting turn of events if posters, especially the SF supporting variant are now going to be advocating we close the border between the ROI and NI. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But if our govt had the balls to seal the airport it wouldn't matter unless they had the balls to seal the border too.
    Now I'm only guessing here, but if they had done it and sealed up both, then the majority of posters on here now even if the Republic was covid free virtually, would be call our govt West brits, torys, and crying about the GFA and the right of travel.
    Muck stirrers most of them unfortunately and like a sizable tangent out there on Facebook and twitter, just trying anything to undermine what the govt are trying to achieve at all times no matter what it is

Exactly.

They are not interested in health and safety or fixing Covid, they are only interested in the fantastical pursuit of a united Ireland at all costs.

• Advertisement

The government can't be held accountable for the whole island, so the solution is to close the border, which is neither practical nor politic.

Exactly.

They are not interested in health and safety or fixing Covid, they are only interested in the fantastical pursuit of a united Ireland at all costs.

I mean...you guys are aware,the uk is bringing in the forced quarantines??

This has broad public and political support there,only in ireland is it deemed wise to rip up the econmy and let virus in to cause repeated lockdowns

The EU is on brink of stopping non-essemtial travel between member states.....are yous lot completly head buried in sand in relation to whats happening as regards new varients???

Imo,we should restrict by region too,dubin only,then leinster excluding dublin,then connacht and munster and not leave travel between them

This has broad public and political support there,only in ireland is it deemed wise to rip up the econmy and let virus in to cause repeated lockdowns

The EU is on brink of stopping non-essemtial travel between member states.....are yous lot completly head buried in sand in relation to whats happening as regards new varients???

Imo,we should restrict by region too,dubin only,then leinster excluding dublin,then connacht and munster and not leave travel between them

We have already stopped non-essential travel. If it happens, it is people breaking the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Do you include NPHET in that? The government are undermining the experts not the other way around.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1352582586867068929?s=19

When did that get signed off?

We have already stopped non-essential travel. If it happens, it is people breaking the guidelines.

Not between EU states....why are you lyin

Do you just not grasp how dangerous this virus could potential become??

The south african varient is showing signs,its progressing to be more like sars/mars and potentially 20 times more fatal

Forced quarantines,could be the cheapest money the state will spend in the next 100 years.....playing about with words and misinfo is a fools errand here

When did that get signed off?

tonight,i think

Likely to start within 10 days,tourists to pay the quarantine costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    It is the number I got from
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It is right there on the website.... go look for yourself.
    Tell me how their math is wrong?

Now, do you know admit you are a hypocrite?

The burden is on you to prove. You wrote FACT!!!! So tell me how do you get to the Figure with the inputs you gave? Show the maths. It should be easy. To show. Don't appreciate the personal abuse either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

tonight,i think

Likely to start within 10 days,tourists to pay the quarantine costs

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/self-isolating-when-you-arrive

You do not need to self-isolate in England if you’re travelling from Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

You can also get out if you pay for a test.

• Advertisement

The burden is on you to prove. You wrote FACT!!!! So tell me how do you get to the Figure with the inputs you gave? Show the maths. It should be easy. To show. Don't appreciate the personal abuse either.

What are you blathering on about, it is RIGHT THERE on the website.

You click on the website, you scroll down to Ireland and you look at the column that says deaths per million and guess what, the number for Ireland is 567....

If you are even too lazy to click on a website, then that is your problem, not mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement