Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    What are you blathering on about, it is RIGHT THERE on the website.

You click on the website, you scroll down to Ireland and you look at the column that says deaths per million and guess what, the number for Ireland is 567....

If you are even too lazy to click on a website, then that is your problem, not mine.

The number isn't accurate.even the basic maths is wrong I know the maths is wrong. So show me how you get it. If you write fact!!! And maybe have blanch like it does that help get the number you're calling a fact to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    The number isn't accurate.even the basic maths is wrong I know the maths is wrong. So show me how you get it. If you write fact!!! And maybe have blanch like it does that help get the number you're calling a fact to be true?

So, what is the true number?

This should be good! LOL

fKSfOKT.png

*mod snip*

tonight,i think

Likely to start within 10 days,tourists to pay the quarantine costs

Does that include Ireland? ie if I visit my sister, will I have to isolate for 2 weeks on arrival, then visit sis, then quarantine on my return home?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CarProblem

is it true the government ignored nephet advice to quarantine people coming into the country?

Yes it is - and from longer ago than most people probably think

https://twitter.com/patphelan/status/1284221736997785601?s=20

And other health experts (not necessarily NPHET) had advised it as far back as early March
    What a pity those traveling think so little of their loved ones, co workers etc by not quarantining for the 14 days. It’s isn’t just common sense. It’s exercising personal and civic responsibility. There are no excuses.

So people aren't exercising common sense and "personal and civic responsibility". Grand - time for the government to stop dragging its heels so

My prediction: Government will eventually implement something. They'll do a half arsed job and fuck it up (like absolutely everything they've tried to do). It won't have the desired effect but they'll then say "what do you want from us, we followed advice?"

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are not interested in health and safety or fixing Covid

Our government doesn't appear to be either

• Advertisement

Does that include Ireland? ie if I visit my sister, will I have to isolate for 2 weeks on arrival, then visit sis, then quarantine on my return home?

i would assume so,its travel corridors are close,yes

Its only right too imo....i was to go to london last summer for family reasons,and would have had to quarantine for 2 weeks even if i had a negative test result upon coming home....so obv didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/self-isolating-when-you-arrive

You do not need to self-isolate in England if you’re travelling from Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

You can also get out if you pay for a test.

Now we are getting somewhere. I have always argued that the only way to impose a quarantine is on a British Isles basis. This is for a number of reasons - business links, the Dublin/London air corridor, the common travel area and the sensibilities of unionists.

Now that the UK has moved in this way we should follow suit.

smurgen wrote: »

So published statistic is wrong, anonymous internet poster is right, but anonymous internet poster deserves to be taken at their word without any explanation*.

Have I got it right?

*This is even despite the fact that the anonymous internet poster somehow believes that numbers per million discriminate against smaller countries (yes, I don't understand this point either)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

CarProblem wrote: »
    Our government doesn't appear to be either

I'm begining to think, given the stock finger pointing and macabre competitivness that it's supporters engage in here that the Government are only interested in doing better than NI.

Would explain Stephen DOnnelly's alleged ignoring of attempts to co-operate. Why would you not take every oppurtunity to secure the whole island? Beggars belief.

I'm begining to think, given the stock finger pointing and macabre competitivness that it's supporters engage in here that the Government are only interested in doing better than NI.

Would explain Stephen DOnnelly's alleged ignoring of attempts to co-operate. Why would you not take every oppurtunity to secure the whole island? Beggars belief.

Given what has been posted about the UK maintaining the common travel area, wouldn't it be eminently more sensible to secure things on the basis of the British Isles.

• Advertisement

Now we are getting somewhere. I have always argued that the only way to impose a quarantine is on a British Isles basis. This is for a number of reasons - business links, the Dublin/London air corridor, the common travel area and the sensibilities of unionists.

The government have done sweet FA to do even that nonsense..

They don't have any expressed interest in protecting the island...fact. If they did there would be a record of them trying.

The government have done sweet FA to do even that nonsense..

They don't have any expressed interest in protecting the island...fact. If they did there would be a record of them trying.

It seems like a sensible idea from the UK government, don't you think? Secure the British Isles and we can keep the business and travel links with the UK thereby preventing damage to the economy.

A better solution than an all-island one.

It seems like a sensible idea from the UK government, don't you think? Secure the British Isles and we can keep the business and travel links with the UK thereby preventing damage to the economy.

A better solution than an all-island one.

What have the Irish government done about it? PLease link to their work on protecting the whole island, whether be a single island approach or a dual island approach.

I'm begining to think, given the stock finger pointing and macabre competitivness that it's supporters engage in here that the Government are only interested in doing better than NI

A lot of Irish people take this approach in all walks of life. Don't aim to be the best, content simply not to be the worst

The so called media is complicit also - lets highlight the countries doing poorly (to make the Irish government look better) and not those doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Drink driving doesn’t compare with an unprecedented global pandemic.

But personal responsibility Maryanne.
    If we can have strict laws to punish people for the relatively minor offense (in your opinion apparently) of DUI but not for potentially spreading a virus during a global pandemic then I must say I find your position confusing and contradictory.
    Much like the current govt's.

People should just be responsible and not drive when under the influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Exactly.

They are not interested in health and safety or fixing Covid, they are only interested in the fantastical pursuit of a united Ireland at all costs.

Does that include other advocates of the all island approach such as Leo Varadkar and Arlene Foster?

Like any idea, regardless of the assumed reasoning, if it's a good idea we shouldn't be cutting our nose to spite our face.
    Some things are more important than sticking it to the shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

i would assume so,its travel corridors are close,yes

Its only right too imo....i was to go to london last summer for family reasons,and would have had to quarantine for 2 weeks even if i had a negative test result upon coming home....so obv didnt

And fair play Blaaz, I could have done it too, desperately wanted to but didn't.
    A great many did and didn't follow the quaretine rules on return either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

markodaly wrote: »
    It will be a very interesting turn of events if posters, especially the SF supporting variant are now going to be advocating we close the border between the ROI and NI. :)

Two chances......slim and none.

Two chances......slim and none.

What on heavens name will it achieve if we don't properly secure the island? Joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Posts this today.....

Let's copy the Brits.... The Brits are bleedin deadly so they are.

Given what has been posted about the UK maintaining the common travel area, wouldn't it be eminently more sensible to secure things on the basis of the British Isles.
    Day before yesterday though.........

Well, from my point of view, I wouldn't want our government to be sharing my personal information with a government outside the EU as GDPR wouldn't apply. The Stormont government was looking for the personal details of all travelling through Dublin Airport.
    Just realised you don't have the first clue about this issue.

We are talking about the Irish government giving the personal information of people who are travelling through Dublin Airport to the Stormont government, and you are seeking to reassure me that is safe because the British government has something on a website!!!!!!

Will spend the next hour laughing.
    GDPR means that you cannot transfer personal information outside of the EU without adequate protections being in place and the requisite protocols around consent.

Your position seems to be that if the Russian and American governments claim to respect GDPR, then the Irish government can send them every little bit of personal information that they have on me.

GDPR.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But personal responsibility Maryanne.
    If we can have strict laws to punish people for the relatively minor offense (in your opinion apparently) of DUI but not for potentially spreading a virus during a global pandemic then I must say I find your position confusing and contradictory.
    Much like the current govt's.

People should just be responsible and not drive when under the influence.

Do you actually think that the consumption of alcohol and COVID-19 are similar?

atticu wrote: »

I'll get popcorn, this'll be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

atticu wrote: »

Did you read the thread to get the context?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Exactly as expected.

Pascal admits govt did not follow NPHET advice. Is he a 'folk like me' who is 'wise after the event'?

The Cheerleader defence is to tell me what I think. What I am apparently promulgating. And generally launch an attack because I said that people would defend the original govt actions even after the govt has admitted they made mistakes.

Thanks BB for proving my point in such a ranty fashion.

Responding to the post B, thats all I can do, and take my judgement on that,seeing as I don’t know anything about you personally.

That’s all I have to go on.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Posts this today.....

Let's copy the Brits.... The Brits are bleedin deadly so they are.

Day before yesterday though.........

Three letters...

W - U - M

The only reason he is taking that position today is to try and get a rise with the 'British Isles' taunt.

When asked what had the Irish government done to respond to the British offer, he disappeared.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'll get popcorn, this'll be good.

Usual shite - lets try waffle and deflect rather than addressing the point

I assume the poster was just giving two areas where personal responsibility could/should come into play. Not equating them, not saying one is better or worse.

Rather than addressing that some posters choose to deflect and obfuscate. I experienced similar yesterday

Messi and Ronalso are both good footballers. That statement does not compare them, does not ask which is better/worse

The only reason he is taking that position today is to try and get a rise with the 'British Isles' taunt.

When asked what had the Irish government done to respond to the British offer, he disappeared.

He disappeared on me too when his GDPR baloney was called out for the nonsense it was.

He seems to be contrariann just for the lols.

Francie, it wasn't a British offer, it is what they are doing. We should reciprocate and close our borders to all but those from the UK.

I suggested this days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Did you read the thread to get the context?

A simple yes or no will do.

• Advertisement

Francie, it wasn't a British offer, it is what they are doing. We should reciprocate and close our borders to all but those from the UK.

I suggested this days ago.

Days ago you were peddling absolute horse shyte about not trusting the Brits with personal details because GDPR.

Today you want to almost join the UK.

Pick a coherent and consistent moral principal and stick with it. FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement