Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

CarProblem wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people take this approach in all walks of life. Don't aim to be the best, content simply not to be the worst

The so called media is complicit also - lets highlight the countries doing poorly (to make the Irish government look better) and not those doing well

I'd agree, especially regarding The Irish Times and to an extent the Indo. However I must applaud Joe Duffy's 'Live line' for the important work of giving the Mother and Baby home survivors a voice.
    Normally can't stand the show but sterling and important work considering the sham whitewashed report.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Francie, it wasn't a British offer, it is what they are doing. We should reciprocate and close our borders to all but those from the UK.

I suggested this days ago.

So what have the government done on this, or, as asked on securing this island. Please link to their work on these options.

Bowie wrote: »
    I'd agree, especially regarding The Irish Times and to an extent the Indo. However I must applaud Joe Duffy's 'Live line' for the important work of giving the Mother and Baby home survivors a voice.
    Normally can't stand the show but sterling and important work considering the sham whitewashed report.

I have been listening and it is shocking what a sham it is. Martin's haste to get the apology out and try and shut it all down deserves to haunt him for the rest of his term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have been listening and it is shocking what a sham it is. Martin's haste to get the apology out and try and shut it all down deserves to haunt him for the rest of his term.

I actually think it will haunt him personally. There's politicing and then there is just plain wrong. Complicit wrong. They tried to spin it away quickly and it backfired. People will not forget the anguish the report caused over the last couple of weeks. It heaped abuse on abuse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So what have the government done on this, or, as asked on securing this island. Please link to their work on these options.

I am here debating a policy issue with you, not defending what the government is doing. I asked you whether you agreed with me and whether you thought it is a good idea.

You seem only interested in defending Sinn Fein and attacking the government rather than actually discussing the policy issue. Tell us whether you think we should follow the British example. If not, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Responding to the post B, thats all I can do, and take my judgement on that,seeing as I don’t know anything about you personally.

That’s all I have to go on.

Yet you were able to tell me with apparent ease what you think I think.

Want to know what I think BB? I think they messed up. I honestly wish they hadn't. But they did.
    And we are paying the price of decades of mismanagement of the health service, failure to have contingency plans, failure to use the pause between waves to fix the issues highlighted during the 1st Lockdown.
    We are also cursed with an egotistical incompetent as minister for Health, a narcissist as Tánaiste, a week sleeveen as Taoiseach, a bully as Education minister... and then there's the rest of the sorry shower.

We should have had an emergency govt of national unity - and yes, FF and FG and GP should be there - I would have no issue with Coveney remaining in foreign affairs, Donohoe in Finance, McGrath in public expenditure. But by god we deserve better than Donnelly, Varadker, Martin, and Foley.

Three times this his last fortnight my elderly mother has stood alone at her gate, as her neighbours did likewise at their's, to watch the hearse of a neighbour who died with covid pass by.
    The latest was this morning.

She's scared BB. A lifelong FF voter, a neighbour of the Taoiseach, and she wants someone else in charge beacuse too many have died and still the gates to the country are open, still our hospitals are overwhelmed, still there is no sign of her or her sisters (all in their 80s) being offered a vaccine.

So yeah - you keep cheerleadering BB while across the country people stand at their gates to say goodbye to the victims of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

atticu wrote: »
    A simple yes or no will do.

A simple read of the thread will provide your answer.

I am here debating a policy issue with you, not defending what the government is doing. I asked you whether you agreed with me and whether you thought it is a good idea.

You seem only interested in defending Sinn Fein and attacking the government rather than actually discussing the policy issue. Tell us whether you think we should follow the British example. If not, why?

With the threat coming from Britain, NO I think it's the silliest idea I have heard in a while, to be frank.

This is a government thread, it isn't for people to float ridiculous pointless ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CarProblem

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Want to know what I think BB? I think they messed up. I honestly wish they hadn't. But they did.
    And we are paying the price of decades of mismanagement of the health service, failure to have contingency plans, failure to use the pause between waves to fix the issues highlighted during the 1st Lockdown.
    We are also cursed with an egotistical incompetent as minister for Health, a narcissist as Tánaiste, a week sleeveen as Taoiseach, a bully as Education minister... and then there's the rest of the sorry shower.

We should have had an emergency govt of national unity - and yes, FF and FG and GP should be there - I would have no issue with Coveney remaining in foreign affairs, Donohoe in Finance, McGrath in public expenditure. But by god we deserve better than Donnelly, Varadker, Martin, and Foley.

Three times this his last fortnight my elderly mother has stood alone at her gate, as her neighbours did likewise at their's, to watch the hearse of a neighbour who died with covid pass by.
    The latest was this morning.

She's scared BB. A lifelong FF voter, a neighbour of the Taoiseach, and she wants someone else in charge beacuse too many have died and still the gates to the country are open, still our hospitals are overwhelmed, still there is no sign of her or her sisters (all in their 80s) being offered a vaccine.

So yeah - you keep cheerleadering BB while across the country people stand at their gates to say goodbye to the victims of incompetence.

Excellent post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    So, what is the true number?

This should be good! LOL

fKSfOKT.png

This reminds me of the time you died on a hill on negative market caps.... been awfully quiet on that one since. :)

The inputs you gave 2818 population 4.937 m is a 571 incident rate. How is the 567 calculated with the inputs you gave as fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bannasidhe wrote: »

She's scared BB. A lifelong FF voter, a neighbour of the Taoiseach, and she wants someone else in charge

As a matter of interest who? Who do you or she think will do a much better job? I presume SF would be in the mix who have not covered themselves in glory with their own political rally at the Bobby Storey funeral in the middle of a Covid pandemic.

The SD's talk a good game but our very own Minister of Health was one of them once, Shorthall too for a while was a junior minister.
    Being in opposition is the easiest thing in the world, but very little actual new ideas come from that side of the fence.

I am not going to pretend the government has gotten everything right, that would be foolish, but again, lets not pretend by having National Unity government would have made things better, in fact it would have made things much worse by having every one want to stick their oar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    The inputs you gave 2818 population 4.937 m is a 571 incident rate. How is the 567 calculated with the inputs you gave as fact?

Maybe there is a lag in the data from the last 24 hours, where the calculate the Death per Million once a day, but at the end of the day 567 or 571 (it is actually 570) is still much much less than NI's 886.

So, as we have established, SF will have more blood on its hands than FG, given SF are in government in the North and they have presided over a worse death rate than the ROI...

Fair is fair now!!
    Own your own comments.

I am not going to pretend the government has gotten everything right, that would be foolish, but again, lets not pretend by having National Unity government would have made things better, in fact it would have made things much worse by having every one want to stick their oar in.

How do you know that? That's a cynical guess. There was a general mood at the start where all were working together. Blown away by arrogance and mishandling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

As a matter of interest who? Who do you or she think will do a much better job? I presume SF would be in the mix who have not covered themselves in glory with their own political rally at the Bobby Storey funeral in the middle of a Covid pandemic.

The SD's talk a good game but our very own Minister of Health was one of them once, Shorthall too for a while was a junior minister.
    Being in opposition is the easiest thing in the world, but very little actual new ideas come from that side of the fence.

Neither funeral caused any rise in Covid, both were shows of force both were wrong,

Both the Horkan and Storey funerals were equally wrong and a bad idea. They both pale in significance when compared to our policy makers flouting their own guidlines for a golf piss up.

Shortall had a nice job and quit based on ethics. I admire her very much for not taking FG cronyism to keep her job. We need more like her.
    You can judge Donnelly yourself.

Many people believe an all island approach to covid is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Both the Horkan and Storey funerals were equally wrong and a bad idea. They both pale in significance when compared to our policy makers flouting their own guidlines for a golf piss up.

Shortall had a nice job and quit based on ethics. I admire her very much for not taking FG cronyism to keep her job. We need more like her.

Well it looks like the sealing of the airports and border are on an all island approach anyway!
    Not going to happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0122/1191497-taoiseach-covid-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, they were not equally wrong. One was a State funeral, endorsed by the democratically elected representatives of the people, the other was the funeral of a thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No, they were not equally wrong. One was a State funeral, endorsed by the democratically elected representatives of the people, the other was the funeral of a thug.

Other Garda who died were far more worthy of a state funeral, he got shot with his own gun ffs, show of force to show who's boss, nothing more,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Been done to death already, you know all this.

1, Do you think Covid cares if it was a state funeral or not?

Covid is a virus, it doesn't know if the mourners are attending the funeral of a slain Garda or not nor does it care.

2, Was it responsible to hold a state funeral in the height of a pandemic?

Before answering the second question reread the first one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Maybe there is a lag in the data from the last 24 hours, where the calculate the Death per Million once a day, but at the end of the day 567 or 571 (it is actually 570) is still much much less than NI's 886.

So, as we have established, SF will have more blood on its hands than FG, given SF are in government in the North and they have presided over a worse death rate than the ROI...

Fair is fair now!!
    Own your own comments.

So you accept it wasn't a fact? That you were wrong?

• Advertisement

How can coronavirus tell the difference?

Its bizzare that ffg will tie themselves up in knots defending this

Well it looks like the sealing of the airports and border are on an all island approach anyway!
    Not going to happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0122/1191497-taoiseach-covid-latest/

TBF, could all change in a few days.

Belgium closing its borders tonight ......talks of the eu adopting a zero covid approach

The government of the only island nation in the eu has deemed such an approach as unfeasible

We've covered this. Covid doesn't recognise politics or bias.
    Arguing over which funeral you liked or didn't like is irrelevant.

Covid doesn't distinguish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Belgium closing its borders tonight ......talks of the eu adopting a zero covid approach

The government of the only island nation in the eu has deemed such an approach as unfeasible

Any link to this? last time you posted information like this it was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Nothing on these website suggest Belgium have closed borders
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/belgium/
    Irish Department of Foreign affairs say Data is updated today and nothing about closed border
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/belgium/
    Belgium embassy has no mention on twitter
    https://twitter.com/IrishEmbBelgium

DUP respond to closing the island on abstract ideological grounds. Cannot be classed as separate from 'the mainland' :rolleyes:

Any link to this? last time you posted information like this it was wrong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1352681126570176514

The uk is voting monday on its forced quarantines!.

Merkel
    https://mobile.twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1352533810886402048

• Advertisement

DUP respond to closing the island on abstract ideological grounds. Cannot be classed as separate from 'the mainland' :rolleyes:

whereas in reality foster and oneill wrote to dublin last summer to examine an all ireland approach/work together......zero responce from the government to them,not even an acknowlegment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement