Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

smurgen wrote: »
    Never said that. Did you manage to work out the incident rate yet? Ever find the reason for the error you made? Are you happy that your day to day life is more risky now because of government decisions? Because that's how it's reading.

Marks in Australia, he's grand where he is. Almost normal life in Australia I'm told.

Easy to laugh and point at a disease ravaging a country you aren't in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

McMurphy wrote: »
    Marks in Australia, he's grand where he is. Almost normal life in Australia I'm told.

Easy to laugh and point at a disease ravaging a country you aren't in.

Ah it makes more sense now. I was thinking you’d have to be mad to be happy with this situation. Oz is flying it thanks for proper leadership in dealing with the pandemic. Fair play to ‘em. Citizens safety prioritised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    And what are SF doing to achieve that? They are in Stormont, so what have they been doing to get that going?
    If we cannot get an all-island approach, would be ok with cutting off the north and sealing the border?

Same as the DUP? I know they've been suggesting it and trying to get a response from Donnelly.
    What are FF/FG/Greens doing about it?
    Its not practical. An air/sea border is easier to watch IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ill accept it as long as you accept that SF has more blood on their hands due to the higher death rate in the North.

Deal? :D

What is it with the playing top trumps with death rates?
    Hard to take any 'RA criticism as genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Never said that.

You did.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116000191&postcount=6045
    FFG have blood on their hands and hopefully going to be held accountable for it. They will be decimated and I mean decimated in the next election.

If there are MORE deaths per capita in the North, then it stands to reason that SF also has blood on their hands, given they are in government up there.

Fair is fair? ;)

* As an aside, it is hilarious that you want to try and weasel your way out of your comments, "FFG are bad!!! they have blood on their hands" While using the exact same logic and rationale, you just would not and will not use the same argument against SF because well that would not be convenient.

At least everyone can see now that you are a Hypocrite. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bowie wrote: »
    What is it with the playing top trumps with death rates?
    Hard to take any 'RA criticism as genuine.

Not at all, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

If a poster makes up god awful comments about people having 'blood on their hands', then they better man up and defend the same comments when it can be directed at NI and indeed other nation, be it the UK, France, Holland, Belgium Germany, Sweden, Italy, Spain, etc...all of whom have a worse death per capita rate than Ireland...

It's just being hysterical for the sake of it and makes the person being hysterical look rather foolish.

Let us not really pretend the poster making those comments actually care about people dying, as its just a political football used to give the government a bit of a kicking and the proof is his absolute silence and complicity when questions are asked about his beloved SF being in government in the North, where MORE people have died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Covid deaths in republic :2870
    Covid deaths NI: 1704

Why are you lying?

If I was you I wouldn't be accusing people of lying. A number of times yesterday you told blatant lies on this thread, when pointed out you just ignored.
    It is also fairly clear from the conversation he is talking about rate of death. Just because one post is written incorrectly doesn't change that.

The government is a disaster, having huge issues daily and a country which at this stage is all a the end of its tether. Unless the vaccine gets rolled out very quickly home schooling alone is going to tip everyone over. Nobody will care how much a budget costs they will just want one

Not at all, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

If a poster makes up god awful comments about people having 'blood on their hands', then they better man up and defend the same comments when it can be directed at NI and indeed other nation, be it the UK, France, Holland, Belgium Germany, Sweden, Italy, Spain, etc...all of whom have a worse death per capita rate than Ireland...

It's just being hysterical for the sake of it and makes the person being hysterical look rather foolish.

Let us not really pretend the poster making those comments actually care about people dying, as its just a political football used to give the government a bit of a kicking and the proof is his absolute silence and complicity when questions are asked about his beloved SF being in government in the North, where MORE people have died.

Political football? You're projecting your own lack of integrity onto others. All of our lives have been made more risky by the actions of the government. Our families lives too. We all have skin in the game here. To see the government repeatedly have a reactionary approach dragged kicking and screaming to follow public opinion and expert opinion is infuriating.

Here's an expert telling us that lives could have been saved. Not the advice to do this was given by the CMO since May. Therefore those extra deaths are the result of government decision.

"Some people lost to Covid-19 could have been saved if tighter travel restrictions were imposed last year as advised by Nphet, according to public health experts.

On May 8, 2020, chief medical officer Tony Holohan wrote to then health minister Simon Harris, warning of the risk of importing the virus through Irish residents going abroad or arrivals from other countries.

He recommended: “a mandatory regime of self-isolation for 14 days at a designated facility for all persons arriving into Ireland from overseas (with limited exemptions to include supply chain workers and those in transit to other jurisdictions, such as Northern Ireland"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40212500.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Political football? You're projecting your own lack of integrity onto others. All of our lives have been made more risky by the actions of the government. Our families lives too. We all have skin in the game here. To see the government repeatedly have a reactionary approach dragged kicking and screaming to follow public opinion and expert opinion is infuriating.

Not really 100% true?
    The government have made some good and bad decision. On review over the last 12 months the bad have outweighed the good. Unless you are standing in 1-2 countries around the World you can say the same about their governments. The likes of NZ are few and far between and the likes of the UK/Ireland are a more regular occurrence.

Do I believe the government made these decisions to hurt people? No. Do you think the government went out with the intention to hurt anyone?

The main question to the public now is do they think the government should be kept for the next 4 years?
    If it was my decision, based on vaccine rollout I would ask for election once we have X% of the country complete. The current mood cannot continue.

Not really 100% true?
    The government have made some good and bad decision. On review over the last 12 months the bad have outweighed the good. Unless you are standing in 1-2 countries around the World you can say the same about their governments. The likes of NZ are few and far between and the likes of the UK/Ireland are a more regular occurrence.

Do I believe the government made these decisions to hurt people? No. Do you think the government went out with the intention to hurt anyone?

The main question to the public now is do they think the government should be kept for the next 4 years?
    If it was my decision, based on vaccine rollout I would ask for election once we have X% of the country complete. The current mood cannot continue.

Let me ask a simple question. Is the anywhere recoded where mandatory quarantine for international arrivals made covid worse? Or where flight restrictions made covid worse?

Making decisions to hurt people is what they've done. I would like to know the motivations behind the decisions they've made but they're not explaining themselves. Coveney was once FG voice of reason. Gone down massively in my opinion after this drivel.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1352616415363297280?s=19

• Advertisement

Let me ask a simple question. Is the anywhere recoded where mandatory quarantine for international arrivals made covid worse? Or where flight restrictions made covid worse?

Answer a question with a question game is it?
    I will answer your question, maybe you could show the same respect?

In terms of the question, I have no idea but I would expect it made the spread reduce introducing quarantine.

Answer a question with a question game is it?
    I will answer your question, maybe you could show the same respect?

In terms of the question, I have no idea but I would expect it made the spread reduce introducing quarantine.

Thanks for answering. We're in agreement.

Thanks for answering. We're in agreement.

Well done, you have convinced yourself you are right.

Well done, you have convinced yourself you are right.

That mandatory quarantine would help reduce the prevalence of Covid? Yes. I've read enough about it to think that. Is there a problem with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

That mandatory quarantine would help reduce the prevalence of Covid? Yes. I've read enough about it to think that. Is there a problem with this?

When did you reach this grand conclusion and did it include people from northern Ireland or travelling through it?
    Cos if it didn't then its not exactly a bright conclusion is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

When did you reach this grand conclusion and did it include people from northern Ireland or travelling through it?

Four times the Northern executive wrote to the Irish government and got no reply! FFG refusing to deal with them as it would mean dealing with SF, politicking as usual!

We could be like new Zealand with an all Island approach

You're saying stemming the flow won't help? So we should wait until there's a perfect solution?

Four times the Northern executive wrote to the Irish government and got no reply! FFG refusing to deal with them as it would mean dealing with SF, politicking as usual!

We could be like new Zealand with an all Island approach

No we couldn't, because we don't control the whole island and trying to make it as so is political football too.
    We control our side of the border, we could at least try to control travel there, but that's a no nó by the people crying about the other option which is unlikely to happen.
    Do you imagine the DUP were writing to Ireland to see if they should close the north from UK traffic or quarentine British travellers?
    Not likely.

i mean,they've been trying to arrange a summit since last summer to set all ireland basis...no reply from ffg

https://www.thejournal.ie/stormont-seek-summit-over-coronavirus-travel-5158428-Jul2020/

It come out last week,that info from passemgers lamding in dublin airport not being shared

Looks to me,ffg are playing games here and putting all our health at risk

I assume that you actually read the article, or simply posted the wrong link? How can someone reply when no question was asked?

No we couldn't, because we don't control the whole island and trying to make it as so is political football too.
    We control our side of the border, we could at least try to control travel there, but that's a no nó by the people crying about the other option which is unlikely to happen.
    Do you imagine the DUP were writing to Ireland to see if they should close the north from UK traffic or quarentine British travellers?
    Not likely.

Australia and NZ quickly came to a shared initiative and agreement on controls early last year. Micheal martin approaching Borris Johnson about proposed restrictions next week. The delays cost lives.

• Advertisement

I assume that you actually read the article, or simply posted the wrong link? How can someone reply when no question was asked?

Do you support government lack of mandatory quarantine and lack of flight restrictions?

Do you support government lack of mandatory quarantine and lack of flight restrictions?

While I’m delighted that you obviously value my opinion, I’ll hold fire for now while I digest my breakfast. I might offer an opinion at a later stage. Then again, I might not. As either way, my opinion will be jumped upon and clarification of the minutiae is asking a bit much of my fragile brain this morning. Zoom birthday parties are great. No worries about getting home after a few drinks.

Australia and NZ quickly came to a shared initiative and agreement on controls early last year. Micheal martin approaching Borris Johnson about proposed restrictions next week. The delays cost lives.

From what I can make of it, it looks like it's about keeping the common travel option open while banning or quarentining outside travel from other countries.
    If we want to secure Republic of Ireland from all international travel, including UK, we will have to close the border with the north.
    People with current tests will still be allowed in anyway but people with none will be quarantined.
    We are along way from closing up the "island".
    Would you support a closing of the norther Ireland border?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From what I can make of it, it looks like it's about keeping the common travel option open while banning or quarentining outside travel from other countries.
    If we want to secure Republic of Ireland from all international travel, including UK, we will have to close the border with the north.
    People with current tests will still be allowed in anyway but people with none will be quarantined.
    We are along way from closing up the "island".
    Would you support a closing of the norther Ireland border?

How do you suggest doing it. Manpower and budget?

Without these as a 'plan' your suggestion cannot be assessed. If you mean the adhoc system of checkpoits deployed tokeep people in their counties then you might as well dig a hole and bury the money and the manpower becuase it would be pointless.
    You can easily stop people crossing a huge body of water though if the will is there.

How do you suggest doing it. Manpower and budget?

Without these as a 'plan' your suggestion cannot be assessed. If you mean the adhoc system of checkpoits deployed tokeep people in their counties then you might as well dig a hole and bury the money and the manpower becuase it would be pointless.
    You can easily stop people crossing a huge body of water though if the will is there.

I'd agree with you on most of that, but unless the north does it its useless.
    It's like blocking a mouse hole in one corner and leaving the one in the other open.
    Sinn féin have power in the north to present their case to the British govt for that closure.
    We have none here, just a request of a favour that probably won't be granted anyway.

I'd agree with you on most of that, but unless the north does it its useless.
    It's like blocking a mouse hole in one corner and leaving the one in the other open.
    Sinn féin have power in the north to present their case to the British govt for that closure.
    We have none here, just a request of a favour that probably won't be granted anyway.

Other than try to make massive political gain out of SF's mistakes, what have the government done about pressuring for a closure of the north's airports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Not likely.

Yeah yeah, just ignore them up North that's the best policy. Don't even justify them with a reply!

God lads yous, are all good for laying off the blame everywhere else.
    Tell your party up north to get off their arses and get the airports up there closed.
    Sure it's everybody else's fault God help yiz.

God lads yous, are all good for laying off the blame everywhere else.
    Tell your party up north to get off their arses and get the airports up there closed.
    Sure it's everybody else's fault God help yiz.

They have done what they can...vote for it. Was there ONE word of support for it from Dublin?

1969 all over again, the hat doffed and the knee bent for fear of causing offence.

• Advertisement

They have done what they can...vote for it. Was there ONE word of support for it from Dublin?

1969 all over again, the hat doffed and the knee bent for fear of causing offence.

Grow up, 1969 :D yous could march or have a memorial mass for the public if there wasn't a pandemic sure nothing stops SF from making all things possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement