Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Great to see that we’re flattening the curve. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40212998.html

Good for now but then what? During the summer we were down to under 10 new cases alot of days. Some days we had 2. In the above scenario I showed 13 arrivals from a flight. That would have meant that the % change of covid in one day in Ireland could have been hundreds of percent. Those 13 went into infect 46 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

smurgen wrote: »
    It doesn't specify. It says the flight was 7.5 hours long and that it happened during the summer. I think NY is 7.15 and Boston is 7.5. Who knows.

US east coast is usually under 7 hours.

Emirates Dubai - Dublin is 7.5 hours. Being such a large hub, the passengers could have originated from anywhere.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Uk bringing in forced quaratines

https://mobile.twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1353097636505657345

Why cant we do this....instead of just letting government say,its too much hassle and blindly accepting it

It is only a cabinet proposal and highly unlikely to become a reality.

They would run out of Hotel rooms after about 2-3 hours.

Papers have a habit of never refusing ink.

Uk bringing in forced quaratines

https://mobile.twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1353097636505657345

Why cant we do this....instead of just letting government say,its too much hassle and blindly accepting it

I wish posters would actually read the contents of the links they are posting.
    It’s being discussed. No final decision made.

I wish posters would actually read the contents of the links they are posting.
    It’s being discussed. No final decision made.

The telegraph is the paper for the british conservative party,same the irish times is for ffg

If they have it,the decision is made,and only remains to be formally approved.....theres a reason its known as the torygraph

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is only a cabinet proposal and highly unlikely to become a reality.

They would run out of Hotel rooms after about 2-3 hours.

Papers have a habit of never refusing ink.

13k hotel rooms in dublin as of 2018. How many people do you think are flying in currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

13k hotel rooms in dublin as of 2018. How many people do you think are flying in currently?

Be a win win for the hoteliers too, vested interests there might push on that one.
    Just getting back to Francie's earlier posts.
    Good for the economy.

Be a win win for the hoteliers too, vested interests there might push on that one.
    Just getting back to Francie's earlier posts.
    Good for the economy.

If we could get the domestic economy up and running again it would be half the battle until the international vaccine programs are really up and running. Tourism will have to stop but I think those in hospitality would be happy with domestic consumers anyway.

The telegraph is the paper for the british conservative party,same the irish times is for ffg

If they have it,the decision is made,and only remains to be formally approved.....theres a reason its known as the torygraph

So, you agree that no decision has been made and your joyful announcement is somewhat premature?

So, you agree that no decision has been made and your joyful announcement is somewhat premature?

Hi Maryanne would ya mind answering my question to you at 11.46? You seem to have skipped it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was talking about the UK. Read the article.

That is where the cabinet proposal is?

There is not a hope in hell that either government is going to fork out for a Hotel room for every tom, Dick and Harry returned from their hols. For 10 phucking days ..... ?

Hi Maryanne would ya mind answering my question to you at 11.46? You seem to have skipped it.

Firstly, the question was in the middle of a Twitter drop, which I ignore as you rarely include a comment or opinion in these.

Secondly, the data is from summer 2020. At least 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Firstly, the question was in the middle of a Twitter drop, which I ignore as you rarely include a comment or opinion in these.

Well said Mary, nice to know some of us can see through those tactics.

Hahaha what difference does the timing of the data make? It's of zero relevance.

Also I was clear in what I was saying you asked were planes full. This study of one of the planes that was not full showed the level of covid one flight can import into the country. Now to remove and doubt can you tell me are you happy with no mandatory quarantine on those arriving into the country on flights? Here's the twitter and the study references in the post.

https://twitter.com/Orla_Hegarty/status/1353292150486822919?s=19

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.42.2001624

What tactics? Using scientific data to back up my opinion that a policy change urgently needed and should have happened last May? As someone who writes alot of fiction with no support in the wee hours about political parties I can see how actual data is offensive to you. I suppose it's hard to look up relevant links at 6 am when you're frothing at the mouth Brendi!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Two questions,

Is this seemingly irrelevant data because it's "at least six months old" from before or after Bobby Storeys funeral which is + 6 months old, but still gets an honorary mention here on more than a regular basis?

And has the virus evolved in anyway since then, meaning it no longer Is capable of spreading within a flight?

This new six month cap on events being relevant is a new one on me, but I'll keep it in mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

blanch152 wrote: »
    Trumpian statement disguised as a question gets labelled with fake news. Stop the steal, Mary-Lou is the real Taoiseach.

Dont really care who's Taoiseach so long it's not a FGer and the dirty vermin dont see office again

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 27,991 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What tactics? Using scientific data to back up my opinion that a policy change urgently needed and should have happened last May? As someone who writes alot of fiction with no support in the wee hours about political parties I can see how actual data is offensive to you. I suppose it's hard to look up relevant links at 6 am when you're frothing at the mouth Brendi!

You summed yourself up quite well there.

What does a full flight matter? Here's an example of what can and is happening. Are you okay with this?

https://twitter.com/Orla_Hegarty/status/1353292150486822919?s=19

Well, that depends. That twitter link doesn't really add anything to the sum of knowledge out there, other than allowing people to scaremonger, whinge and complain.

There were probably around 500,000 visitors to Ireland during the summer, by land, sea and air. 59 cases is around 12 per 100,000. If that is all there were, what is the problem?

As I keep saying, the only way to solve this, without completely crippling the economy, is to adopt a two-island approach based on the common travel area. Closing the border isn't politically acceptable to good republicans who will ignore it anyway, and an all-island approach will cause too much damage as the food shortages on the shelves from Brexit demonstrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,309 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, that depends. That twitter link doesn't really add anything to the sum of knowledge out there, other than allowing people to scaremonger, whinge and complain.

There were probably around 500,000 visitors to Ireland during the summer, by land, sea and air. 59 cases is around 12 per 100,000. If that is all there were, what is the problem?

As I keep saying, the only way to solve this, without completely crippling the economy, is to adopt a two-island approach based on the common travel area. Closing the border isn't politically acceptable to good republicans who will ignore it anyway, and an all-island approach will cause too much damage as the food shortages on the shelves from Brexit demonstrate.

And you have been asked, what has the government done about a two island approach...nothing, they are ignoring, for whatever reason, contact from their northern counterparts and have done nothing about contacting the British. Unless you can show us something.

• Advertisement

You haven't "kept saying that"

Just the other day you introduced a complete fabricated lie about GDPR and how "you would not trust the nasty Brits with your personal data".

You've abandoned that now I see.

Like will you literally post any auld shyte at all, just to be contrarian?

McMurphy wrote: »
    You haven't "kept saying that"

Just the other day you introduced a complete fabricated lie about GDPR and how "you would not trust the nasty Brits with your personal data".

You've abandoned that now I see.

Like will you literally post any auld shyte at all, just to be contrarian?

Next question is, how does it protect us from the UK? Hair brained scheme if you ask me.

And you have been asked, what has the government done about a two island approach...nothing, they are ignoring, for whatever reason, contact from their northern counterparts and have done nothing about contacting the British. Unless you can show us something.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0122/1191497-taoiseach-covid-latest/

"Speaking to RTÉ at Government Buildings, he said a "two-island approach" is being pursued, but there are "lots of issues around implementation and delivery"."

"Mr Martin said discussions have been taking place between the Ministers for Health and Transport and their UK counterparts, but they are at an "exploratory" stage."

Oh ye of little faith.

Next question is, how does it protect us from the UK? Hair brained scheme if you ask me.

It makes as much sense as a handbrake on a speedboat. Michaél, Leo or Eamon haven't even approached the UK on an all island strategy from what I am reading. No need to "close the border" if they agree a strategy to stop all but essential travel from the UK to Ireland North and South, and vise versa, be it from the sea or air.

And before anyone chirps up about the DUP, the Tory's will put them back in their box if it suits them, but as no-one yet from Ireland's govt have approached them, how do we know?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0122/1191497-taoiseach-covid-latest/

"Speaking to RTÉ at Government Buildings, he said a "two-island approach" is being pursued, but there are "lots of issues around implementation and delivery"."

"Mr Martin said discussions have been taking place between the Ministers for Health and Transport and their UK counterparts, but they are at an "exploratory" stage."

Oh ye of little faith.

Next question, how does it protect us from the UK?

Why is this only starting now,11 months after the 1st confirmed case here...will it be sorted for monday?

It hasn't started, they are 'exploring' it. Sitting around in layman's termes while Covid's increasing variants rip through us.

It hasn't started, they are 'exploring' it. Sitting around in layman's termes while Covid's increasing variants rip through us.

it took 9 months to bring in airport testing....why is everything so slow here

it took 9 months to bring in airport testing....why is everything so slow here

Because government TD's took the summer off to do things like drink cans in the park, all the while infected people were bussed in on flights reigniting covid in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Cases of covid well down today, less than 1400.
    Too many still I know.
    But it puts the quarentine issue in perspective perhaps as but a small part in the fight.
    It looks likely that domestic movement and restrictions are 99% of the battle.
    A bit of self discipline rather than blaming everybody else seems to be the order of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1352711922345508864

The report will haunt FFGG for a long time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement