Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Where are you getting 30 seats short? I'm taking the Greens as a left party that would be open to supporting a SF-led government. I also believe several of the independents could be persuaded to come on board. If this 'united left alliance' is to be realised though, the main flow of seats after the next election will need to be from FF to SF, as you suggest.

FF are looking at a loss of 15seats minimum , Greens lose all seats, FG to lose rural and west, theres a lot up for grabs,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Floppybits wrote: »
    You seem to think that those 30 seats are unobtainable, I wouldn't be so cocky about that. If you look at the performance of FF and Green you have to ask how many of the 49 seats they have are the going to hold? On their current performance and being generous here you are looking at the Greens losing the majority of their seats and FF losing probably half of theirs if not more.

I can see SF really targeting those Green seats but then again SF need to sort themselves out come up with more realistic policies that will attract more people to them and put more candidates up for election and they could gobble up those FF and Green seats.

The only issue is will SF also gobble up the votes of the other opposition parties like PBP, Soc Dem's and Labour. Like I said I wouldn't be getting too cocky on those 30 seats especially if Martin leads FF into the next election like has said he will.

Please stop patronising this thread for starters?

Come back to me in 3 years when there is actually going to be a general election?

If Sinn Féin were so good at " targeting seats " they might have got 50, They missed their chance.

Assuming that the rest of the country fancies a gang of imbeciles turning it into a glorified council estate, as if it is some sort of a delivery to the good people of Ireland is arrogance incarnate. It is also highly insulting to the millions of voters who get off their arses' every morning and get on with theirs lives.

Most irish voters don't spend their every hour regurgitating meaningless shight talk spewed all over Twitter = they have a life for starters.

Dream on. You have 3 more years to stare out the window ( or into Twitterland ). The choice is all yours.

Where are you getting 30 seats short? I'm taking the Greens as a left party that would be open to supporting a SF-led government. I also believe several of the independents could be persuaded to come on board. If this 'united left alliance' is to be realised though, the main flow of seats after the next election will need to be from FF to SF, as you suggest.

We can talk about coalitions in 3 years, after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Child homelessness.....

Did you look that one up ?

Come on, someone who didn't understand the definition of "crises" is hardly in a position to pontificate on "who looked what up" now, are they?

Sinn Fein went to Greens last time and that ended up with them going to FF & FG.
    With the abuse Sinn Fein supporters and party is giving to the Greens I don't expect they will want to know them next time either.

Please tell me this isn't a serious post? Not wanting to be the Shinners bedfellows will be - The. Absolute. Least. Of the greens problems. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Please stop patronising this thread for starters?

Come back to me in 3 years when there is actually going to be a general election?

If Sinn Féin were so good at " targeting seats " they might have got 50, They missed their chance.

Assuming that the rest of the country fancies a gang of imbeciles turning it into a glorified council estate, as if it is some sort of a delivery to the good people of Ireland is arrogance incarnate. It is also highly insulting to the millions of voters who get off their arses' every morning and get on with theirs lives.

Most irish voters don't spend their every hour regurgitating meaningless shight talk spewed all over Twitter = they have a life for starters.

Dream on. You have 3 more years to stare out the window ( or into Twitterland ). The choice is all yours.

Why the insults? Did you need to respond as you did? Could you not address the points I made or is that too much for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

McMurphy wrote: »
    Come on, someone who didn't understand the definition of "crises" is hardly in a position to pontificate on "who looked what up" now, are they?

Please tell me this isn't a serious post? Not wanting to be the Shinners bedfellows will be - The. Absolute. Least. Of the greens problems. :D

That's even funnier than that time the poster on here didn't realise the FF party had the extra seat because the Ceann Comhairle automatically retained theirs, and then went full tinfoil hat on us thinking it was an organised conspiracy because everyone and their dogs knew that, but they did not.

He he he. :D

Not very nice to be mocking people over spelling IMO.

And this post has what to do with the topic?
    No idea what a rant about the Ceann Comhairle is about?

Floppybits wrote: »
    Why the insults? Did you need to respond as you did? Could you not address the points I made or is that too much for you?

I wasn't being insulting?

But I felt pontificating over hypothetical scenarios was a bit of a stretch. I found it insulting personally. Particularly when there is 3 years of water to flow under the bridge in the meantime.

I have been reading a lot of posts, stop daydreaming, stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wasn't being insulting?

But I felt pontificating over hypothetical scenarios was a bit of a stretch. I found it insulting personally. Particularly when there is 3 years of water to flow under the bridge in the meantime.

I have been reading a lot of posts, stop daydreaming, stick to the facts.

Hang on a second there Tonto, it was you that arrogantly proclaimed that the opposition would not make up the 30 seats needed. I just pointed out to you that that is not as far fetched as you think. Why don't you report my post then if you find it insulting?

Not very nice to be mocking people over spelling IMO.

No, I'm not knocking anyone over "spelling", it was spelt correctly actually "crises" - it's the plural of "crisis" meaning singular.

Telling someone to look up something when they made an error themselves is what I was getting at:

Many voters went to SF and others. Most people vote for who they feel suits them at the time. The massive swing in 2020 was more about the crises than anything else IMO.

There was no Covid crisis until March, the election was in February.

Look it up.

What has covid got to do with it? I only mentioned it because it's factoring into our traditional ongoing record breaking crises.

You mentioned the " crises " pal?

Look it up.

I rest my case.
    And this post has what to do with the topic?
    No idea what a rant about the Ceann Comhairle is about?

The Ceann Comhairle post wasn't a "rant" - I was simply regurgitating how some people on this site get ahead of themselves sometimes, despite obviously not knowing their elbows from their arses.

No, I'm not knocking anyone over "spelling", it was spelt correctly actually "crises" - it's the plural of "crisis" meaning singular.

Telling someone to look up something when they made an error themselves is what I was getting at:

I rest my case.

The Ceann Comhairle post wasn't a "rant" - I was simply regurgitating how some people on this site get ahead of themselves sometimes, despite obviously not knowing their elbows from their arses.

Telling someone to look up something when they made an error themselves is what I was getting at.

Look's like ranting to me. No idea why either. Has anyone mentioned the Ceann Comhairle but you?

• Advertisement

Look's like ranting to me. No idea why either. Has anyone mentioned the Ceann Comhairle but you?

I mentioned the Ceann Comhairle in my post (which I subsequently edited, and removed before you quoted it) because I mixed you up as another poster who did post a brain fart about the Ceann Comhairle. As obviously you only opened this account in Dec, and there's no way in this earth this account could have posted that. Silly me.

I think your understanding of the word "rant", and mine might differ. Quite a bit. Though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Housing, health, child homelessness etc. The traditional record breaking crises, (Hopefully Covid will fade). These are the issues gave us the 2020 results we got IMO.

So you are disputing FF did poorly in 2011 and FG did well and vice versa in 2020?

Question....

Margaret Cash and her 5 homeless kids in the garda station.

Do you blame Margaret?

Or do you blame the government?

Looks like another summer lost, PUP and wage subsidy will be hard to cover till the Autumn, FF won't want to be in the hotseat enforcing austerity budgets,

Question....

Do you blame Margaret?

Know of a number of cases where people have presented to Garda stations claiming to be homeless, Garda have to follow protocol and try and find them accommodation, other method is sob story in the local paper, living in caravan by the roadside,rats and boy racers terrorising them, I think housing needs sorting ,rents and house prices need controls, but cases where people are making no effort themselves shouldn't be tolerated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Question....

Do you blame Margaret?

Cash and the council awarded her a four bedroom house.

What's your point, do you have a point?

Cash and the council awarded her a four bedroom house.

What's your point, do you have a point?

You're blaming the government on child homelessness.

I'm not.

That's my point.

So will you answer my question now?

You're blaming the government on child homelessness.

I'm not.

That's my point.

So will you answer my question now?

I'll answer it again if you like; the council/Margret cash. In this specific case I would find fault with the council caving in to a chancer. Likely some councillor put pressure on the council.
    What's Margret Cash got to do with the then FG/Lab and later FG/FF government exacerbating the child homeless problem to the point were records were broken?
    Or getting back to the point, that voters will drift between FF and FG?

I'll answer it again if you like; the council/Margret cash. In this specific case I would find fault with the council caving in to a chancer. Likely some councillor put pressure on the council.
    What's Margret Cash got to do with the then FG/Lab and later FG/FF government exacerbating the child homeless problem to the point were records were broken?
    Or getting back to the point, that voters will drift between FF and FG?

So you blame the parent in this case for her kids been homeless not the government.

Great now we're getting somewhere.

So you blame the parent in this case.

Great now we're getting somewhere.

Do you have all the evidence to blame all the other cases on the government?

There is a system in place. Margret Cash gamed it. Margret Cash didn't take the house by force, it was given.

What role does government play do you think? What is their job, point for existing, why we fund them? Bear with me, I'll answer your follow up.

Again, what has this to do with people floating from FF to FG and back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

There is a system in place. Margret Cash gamed it. Margret Cash didn't take the house by force, it was given.

What role does government play do you think? What is their job, point for existing, why we fund them? Bear with me, I'll answer your follow up.

Again, what has this to do with people floating from FF to FG and back again?

So, what percentage would you say are gaming it?
    I'm sure there's more than one Margaret or Johnny cash.
    How do you decide whose gaming or entitled?
    The funny thing is, Margaret Cash was virtually sainted before her exposure by the people complaining that the govt weren't providing enough housing.
    The lads in tipp that wouldn't take the houses because there was no stables is another example.
    The whole ranting about it could be gaming, who knows?

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, Margaret Cash was virtually sainted before her exposure by the people complaining that the govt weren't providing enough housing.
    The lads in tipp that wouldn't take the houses because there was no stables is another example.

There's a level of gaming in most sections of society but a lot of genuine cases as well we've left people behind and its only fair that they are helped, its not really an issue where I live but when you hear of employers subsidising employees rent in Dublin so they stay in the job you know things have gone too far

The fact that Cash's story was believable says a lot IMO.

How many ministers are putting their crony pals above the tax payer? We know it happens.
    So whats the plan?

I suggest we put set criteria and rules in place and police it as best we can. Make sense? Or do we point to Lowry and stop letting politicians make deals?

See where I'm going here?

Cash took advantage. We know there's a problem with housing. From top levels of government to charities to the man on the street its accepted. Do we ignore it because some might take advantage?
    No, we try improve on the system.

So are you suggesting we didn't have a housing crisis in 2019/2020, it played no role in the election results?

What percentage of TDs/Ministers would you say;
    • Attack others with broken glasses in pubs?
    • Try on dodgy insurance claims?
    • Use 50k of ink cartridges.
    • Claim for travel and other expenses you had no right to.
    • Leak documents to their pals?
    • Have a knees up at a golfing do while your subjects are locked down.
    • Perform u-turns at Garda checkpoints, because they had a few pints?
    • "Won a few bob on the horses', and (as a finance minister) "didn't have a bank account"

Playing the system happens bish, whether it's Erica Fleming and her house hunting adventures, or Someone using the houses of the Oireachtas to phone their lover in Africa and only come clean when snared.

I don't think anyone is saying it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• "Won a few bob on the horses', and (as a finance minister) "didn't have a bank account"

Playing the system happens bish, whether it's Erica Fleming and her house hunting adventures, or Someone using the houses of the Oireachtas to phone their lover in Africa and only come clean when snared.

Any of them construct bombs...?

Doubt it.....surely not.

Did it take you long to compose that, I'm still not awake, rubbing my eyes on reading it in disbelief. Where's my tea?
    Just saying it as it is Mc, as you are.
    When you figure it out let me know, but they all make for good soapbox speeches and system playing and gaming.

Did it take you long to compose that, I'm still not awake, rubbing my eyes on reading it in disbelief. Where's my tea?
    Just saying it as it is Mc, as you are.
    When you figure it out let me know, but they all make for good soapbox speeches and system playing and gaming.

About 1.5 minutes bish, because I'm of an era where we learned how to use qwerty keyboards as part of our education system.

I suppose if you focus on how long it took me to type out a very short post, it saves focusing on TDs/Ministers gaming the system too.

No not all of them do, but the ones that take the proverbial, get exposed with media coverage, just like Fleming or Cash.

Brenner, lets back it up a bit here, we're a nation literally built on the back of an uprising, an armed resistance up-rising....

Has any of our TDs/Ministers ever "constructed bombs"?

Ummmmmmmm...... I think its quite probable horse.......

Oh, hang on, maybe you meant present day, yeah?

Id have to agree with you there so, Doubt it too.

About 1.5 minutes bish, because I'm of an era where we learned how to use qwerty keyboards as part of our education system.

I suppose if you focus on how long it took me to type out a very short post, it saves focusing on TDs/Ministers gaming the system too.

No not all of them do, but the ones that take the proverbial, get exposed with media coverage, just like Fleming or Cash.

An ever exposing world we live in.
    As time goes by and the Hurlers on the ditch get drawn in to the game it usually does expose their weakness.
    Some even have a weak game on the ditch, not management material, destined for ditch hurling.
    A lot happy with that too, make their living off of it, convince their listeners and advocators that because they can talk the game they should get something out of it.
    The manager and team out there playing the game, be it good or bad, while the ditchers talk away and pick up managers wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Doubt it.....surely not.

He forgot that one , Or any of them collect Garda Killer pals from prison to whisk them away like the gun running fisherman. Talking of ink Cartridges O Snodaigh might help him out there . SF supporters are the gift that keep on giving ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brenner, lets back it up a bit here, we're a nation literally built on the back of an uprising, an armed resistance up-rising....

Has any of our TDs/Ministers ever "constructed bombs"?

Ummmmmmmm...... I think its quite probable horse.......

Oh, hang on, maybe you meant present day, yeah?

Id have to agree with you there so, Doubt it too.

Lookit Randall, got it wrong ok.

Wasn’t Eoin O’Broin and Wardy 16 guarding the left wing of the GPO in ‘16

And MaryLou back in the canteen fryin kippers for the breakfast.

My bad, horse.. apologies.

• Advertisement

I thought Sinn Fein supporters only wanted to look forward and not in the past? because I am sure you can agree if you start the finger pointing game nobody is a winner. Especially not the people of Ireland

To me this type of post is bringing us down the politics of Northern Ireland, every politician and party fighting with each other over petty subjects while the people of Northern Ireland are left to suffer. It's gutter politics and once it is finished, if it ever finish's, all you are left with is a big mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement