Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,321 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All governments are for the people, all the people living in Ireland. Just because it is a bad government doesn't change that.

Yes technically correct, but in practice we can be taken over by charlatans and incompetents and we were in the case of that government you will agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Floppybits wrote: »
    Its not everyone's government. Its a government for a few and scraps to the rest. People of Ireland voted they didn't vote for this government they voted for the parties and they made up the government based on them excluding other parties. So it is not a government for everyone. Also just because they are the government doesn't mean they are above criticism nor does it mean that they are the best people for the job.

This smacks of #notmytaoiseach

Not at all sure, other than the knicker twisting of the power swap fans, what was wrong with that as a way of protesting the hypocrisy of the two leaders coalescing. Having both said what they said during the campaign.

It wasn't a protest I made myself or joined in, but not seeing anything wrong with it, as protests go.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Not at all sure, other than the knicker twisting of the power swap fans, what was wrong with that as a way of protesting the hypocrisy of the two leaders coalescing. Having both said what they said during the campaign.

It wasn't a protest I made myself or joined in, but not seeing anything wrong with it, as protests go.

What was wrong with refusing to accept the outcome of an election and acknowledge who a democratically elected parliament voted as head of it's government?

I've one word for you.

Myanmar.

What was wrong with refusing to accept the outcome of an election and acknowledge who a democratically elected parliament voted as head of it's government?

I've one word for you.

Myanmar.

Who 'refused' anything? Is he not Taoiseach?

Knicker twisting about a protest is what you are doing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I don't want to rant and rave about anything but I would like to see an end to the crap on this thread where anyone speaking out against the government is labeled as stupid, special needs or in the instances yesterday were a poster referred to those on opposing the government as sitting on their arsed with nothing better to do than wait for their next PUP payment.

Of course you choose to ignore the several posts before my post attacking Stephen Donnelly, even your good colleague RP McMurphy announcing that there were “hundreds” of accounts making fun of the guy.

This is a guy working his arse off to do his best to handle the the situation, and doing as well as he possibly can .

The irony in my reply was of course missed by you when I suggested the possibly a lot of that vitriol emanated from folk who would be waiting for PUP payment......... set up by the Govt he is a member of..... there’s the rub.

Ensured that where possible jobs were saved and huge borrowing took place to keep the Country above water.

But of course no mention of that......

Now like a good lad ..remember... getting all worked up over inferred ‘slights’ while whaling in to folk doing their best on other arenas doesn’t cut the mustard, so give it a rest, it doesn’t fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Of course you choose to ignore the several posts before my post attacking Stephen Donnelly, even your good colleague RP McMurphy announcing that there were “hundreds” of accounts making fun of the guy.

This is a guy working his arse off to do his best to handle the the situation, and doing as well as he possibly can .

The irony in my reply was of course missed by you when I suggested the possibly a lot of that vitriol emanated from folk who would be waiting for PUP payment......... set up by the Govt he is a member of..... there’s the rub.

Ensured that where possible jobs were saved and huge borrowing took place to keep the Country above water.

Now like a good lad ..remember... getting all worked up over inferred ‘slights’ while whaling in to folk doing their best on other arenas doesn’t cut the mustard, so give it a rest, it doesn’t fly.

👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Yes technically correct

Thank you.

The words of so many failed and incompetent Ministers and politicians...'I was only doing my best'.

#thumbs up emoticon.

McMurphy wrote: »
    👍

Getting a lot of shade from that Randall.

Just in case other less other less ‘in tune’ posters think there’s been a Pauline conversion.

Just sayin’.......:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I've one word for you.

Myanmar.

:D

What a leap!

Classic.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A thread on this forum is called "FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years", you should be aware of it as a regular poster on it.
    This was started up after FG came out and said they would go into opposition after the election.
    So yes it is 100% true.

This is 100% wrong.

Here's the first post:
    It seems FG will be very happy to just sit on their hands for 5 years. Would FG voters be happy with this, as it means all those FG votes mean nothing, and do nothing.

Having been in power for 9 years, they did nothing, people have no homes, people still on trollies.

FG may have given some of their rich buddies some tax breaks.

But other than that, they did what FG do best, are their poor hands not numb by now.

It was set up because before the dust had settled Varadkar announced he 'relished' going into opposition. In a huff due to a bruised ego.
    If you read back over that thread title again, ("FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years") there's a clue in it that bears that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Where does what I say relate to this smacking of #notmytaoiseach? Am I not allowed to think that the government are acting in their own self interest and not the interest of the country?

Martin is the Taoiseach and we have to accept to accept that but that doesn't mean that people may not be happy with him as Taoiseach and would like to see a more commanding figure there and his past time in government especially being part of the government that drove the economy of cliff wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence but as you say he is the Taoiseach.

As for do I think he is doing a good job then the answer to that is no I don't, I think he is too wishy washy at time were we need decisiveness and direction which I think he is lacking to give, yes this maybe because the partners he chose for government are trying to under cut him at every opportunity to make themselves look better and him and his party look weak. Which if it is the case is damning to be doing at a time like this. Would I vote for them in the next election, at this time no as they have as far as I am concerned doing nothing to deserve my vote.

:D

What a leap!

Classic.

Reminds me of the time a FG TD likened Irish water protesters to ISIS :)

The words of so many failed and incompetent Ministers and politicians...'I was only doing my best'.

#thumbs up emoticon.

Yep.... Michelle O’Neill..... comes to mind.

Yep.... Michelle O’Neill..... comes to mind.

The debate equivalent to 'squirrel'.

(thumbs up emoticon)

More rubbish from you, the reason why Donnelly is getting ridiculed is due to the fact the people of the country have lost confidence in him as a minister. Yes he maybe working his ass off as you or he may not but his performances in public have left a lot to be desired and have not instilled confidence in him to do the job. The fact that people think Harris would be better shows just how out of his depth Donnelly is. Is there anyone to replace him? For me it would require a more senior figure but FF have none of those so for me it would have to be someone like Coveney but that won't happen.

As for those on PUP payments well they haven't really been treated with respect by the government now have they, not being able to leave the country during the summer, being told to get a new job when they technically haven't lost a job so yeah I do you see your post as a slight against those on PUP payments. They are not there by choice and I'm sure the PUP payment is barely keeping them above water.

This is 100% wrong.

Here's the first post:

It was set up because before the dust had settled Varadkar announced he 'relished' going into opposition. In a huff due to a bruised ego.
    If you read back over that thread title again, ("FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years") there's a clue in it that bears that out.

If you say so. I disagree and when I read it I knew what the poster was discussing.

More rubbish from you, the reason why Donnelly is getting ridiculed is due to the fact the people of the country have lost confidence in him as a minister. Yes he maybe working his ass off as you or he may not but his performances in public have left a lot to be desired and have not instilled confidence in him to do the job. The fact that people think Harris would be better shows just how out of his depth Donnelly is. Is there anyone to replace him? For me it would require a more senior figure but FF have none of those so for me it would have to be someone like Coveney but that won't happen.

As for those on PUP payments well they haven't really been treated with respect by the government now have they, not being able to leave the country during the summer, being told to get a new job when they technically haven't lost a job so yeah I do you see your post as a slight against those on PUP payments. They are not there by choice and I'm sure the PUP payment is barely keeping them above water.

When Coveney was in the Health position everyone said he was the worst ever, the same with the person before him and before and before and before. Notice a recurring theme here?
    Out of curiosity can you name me a good Minister of Health Ireland has had?

If you say so. I disagree and when I read it I knew what the poster was discussing.

You can disagree but that doesn't make you right. It's literally about FG doing nothing for the next five years directly after the 2020 election.

• Advertisement

I presume you have the survey figures to support all your insinuations there

Lookit we have a pandemic here, we have unprecedented worldwide challenges.

We need to take a sensible and pragmatic view of our problems and work together.

Nobody is here by choice. Nobody has control about what got us here.

Flooding social media with rubbish against an individual won’t help anything, and inferring slight on certain sectors for me is baseless.

You can disagree but that doesn't make you right. It's literally about FG doing nothing for the next five years directly after the 2020 election.

So that makes you right? :rolleyes:
    The thread was started when FG came out and said they would go into opposition. Which was jumped on by some people and said that meant they would do nothing.
    Funny when some parties went into opposition that suddenly changed to been in opposition was the greatest thing ever :P
    Those rules seem to change like the wind. Hard to keep up with you lot.

When Coveney was in the Health position everyone said he was the worst ever, the same with the person before him and before and before and before. Notice a recurring theme here?

This query is built on a false premise.
    Who said Coveney was the worst health minister ever?

You're asking for a good FF/FG minister or health? TBF, Harney wasn't great either.
    If folk criticise government you're on them, yet here you are trying to use the ****show that is FF/FG health to try prove it always was a ****show so what can we do? :rolleyes:
    Better?

I think you have your Simon's mixed up there, Coveney was never a health minister. In the last couple of decades I can't think of any, some tried but failed and I am going back as far as the Rainbow government in the early 90's where I thought they made one of the best and most important decisions for this country. Then the following governments I thought we had a good chance of creating a proper Healthcare structure when the HSE was formed, I saw that as a chance to change things, trim the fat, make health more efficient and put the resources in the right places but unfortunately for us as a country Ahern ruined that when he said there would be no redundancies when the 4 health boards were brought together as the HSE. It was one of the worst decisions that could have been made. Since then it has been all downhill, I was fooled by FG and Reilly in 2011 and it has only got worse so much so that Harney is looking like a good Health Minister.

I think you have your Simon's mixed up there, Coveney was never a health minister. In the last couple of decades I can't think of any, some tried but failed and I am going back as far as the Rainbow government in the early 90's where I thought they made one of the best and most important decisions for this country. Then the following governments I thought we had a good chance of creating a proper Healthcare structure when the HSE was formed, I saw that as a chance to change things, trim the fat, make health more efficient and put the resources in the right places but unfortunately for us as a country Ahern ruined that when he said there would be no redundancies when the 4 health boards were brought together as the HSE. It was one of the worst decisions that could have been made. Since then it has been all downhill, I was fooled by FG and Reilly in 2011 and it has only got worse so much so that Harney is looking like a good Health Minister.

So you can't name a good Minister for Health?

This query is built on a false premise.
    Who said Coveney was the worst health minister ever?

You're asking for a good FF/FG minister or health? TBF, Harney wasn't great either.
    If folk criticise government you're on them, yet here you are trying to use the ****show that is FF/FG health to try prove it always was a ****show so what can we do? :rolleyes:
    Better?

Do you have a point here? or just trying to attack the poster for no reason.

So that makes you right? :rolleyes:
    The thread was started when FG came out and said they would go into opposition. Which was jumped on by some people and said that meant they would do nothing.
    Funny when some parties went into opposition that suddenly changed to been in opposition was the greatest thing ever :P
    Those rules seem to change like the wind. Hard to keep up with you lot.

Thread 'FG to just do nothing for the next five years' started on February 12th, 2020.

February 17th, 2020 Fine Gael says it is 'preparing to go into Opposition.
    "Mr Varadkar said if Sinn Féin fails to form a government, then the onus passes to Fianna Fáil.

He said he accepted responsibility for the party's general election campaign but said the future is about leading the party into opposition."

June 15th, 2020 Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Greens agree deal to form Irish coalition

So in short the thread about FG doing nothing for 5 years was set up when FG were talking opposition and the thread was discussing that. It's in the first post and the thread title.

So yes Margret, there is a Santa Claus you were completely wrong. I'll take your filp flop as conceding that.

The opposition is an important role. The discussion was LV taking his ball and going home.

I presume you have the survey figures to support all your insinuations there

Lookit we have a pandemic here, we have unprecedented worldwide challenges.

We need to take a sensible and pragmatic view of our problems and work together.

Nobody is here by choice. Nobody has control about what got us here.

Flooding social media with rubbish against an individual won’t help anything, and inferring slight on certain sectors for me is baseless.

We do have a pandemic and it is a this time that we need strong leadership and a strong confident health minister of which both Martin and Harris are not. Harris hasn't helped himself as I said by his poor performances in the media, the trampoline interview was the start of it and since then it has been down hill. If you bother to go back you will see I posted on the Vaccine rollout and can understand why it is being done this way and you will also see in that post that I see nothing wrong with using left over vaccine, once all the people who were suppose to get it on the day have got it, to use up that vaccine on others. I would prefer to see that than the vaccine going in the bin.

Now it is not all Donnelly's fault but the fact that government seem to have no coherent plan, we had the living with covid plan which minutes after it was published was changed and now seems to be put in the bin, zero covid has been ruled out so it seems that the plan is to stay in lockdown ad infinitum. The government need to give the public something they can get behind rather than what we have been hearing from them non stop for the last couple of week but so far Donnelly has not given that and like I said has become a focus of ridicule now.

So you can't name a good Minister for Health?

I tell you what based on the performance of the Ministers for health since 2011 Mary Harney is the best of the them.

• Advertisement

Do you have a point here? or just trying to attack the poster for no reason.

Calling out the comment.

You are basically saying 'sure health is always bad' as a defense.
    We deserve a government that will try something not say they'll end the scandal and preside over it getting worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement