Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    He still hasn't accepted my apology for being wrong that the decline in homelessness started in November 2019, when it actually started in October 2019.

Not interested in schooling you on the effects of Covid again. Nor going into seasonal minor ups and downs. It's noted you won't accept figures from Focus when they don't suit. Member when you use to call them the 'charity industry'?

If folk don't know who Darragh is as regards government housing policy they probably shouldn't be making fools of themselves trying to discuss it.

As usual neatly side stepped the point on the new 'affordable housing' costing the tax payer and driving up prices. Ye would rather pick holes and tackle the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It will be interesting to see what policies will get implemented later this year to get people spending the massive amount of savings from 2020 and early 2021 in the local economy. Total personal savings in 2020 were close to 10 billion more than 2019.

It probably needs both a carrot and stick approach, but not sure what options would even be available for the stick.

Finance Minister 'looking at ways' to keep money saved by people during pandemic in this country https://jrnl.ie/5356268

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what policies will get implemented later this year to get people spending the massive amount of savings from 2020 and early 2021 in the local economy. Total personal savings in 2020 were close to 10 billion more than 2019.

It probably needs both a carrot and stick approach, but not sure what options would even be available for the stick.

Finance Minister 'looking at ways' to keep money saved by people during pandemic in this country https://jrnl.ie/5356268

A big concern is those who aren't in a position to save. They'll eventually retire to little or nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Ireland2021

A big concern is those who aren't in a position to save. They'll eventually retire to little or nothing.

You think FG and FF care about anyone but the middle/upper class?

You think FG and FF care about anyone but the middle/upper class?

I don't think they care about anyone not 'their own'.
    As a society we should be concerned that many people working all their life will end up only having what ever rental they can afford or the state is willing to subsidise and the base pension. That's the end of the road for people working to exist. Many aren't able to save or borrow from the bank of mum and dad, as that out of touch politician referenced.

• Advertisement

You need not even wait until retirement....many with kids wont be able to assist em with college/leaving cert grinds as all their income will be swallowed up by unsuatainable rents

Damning another generation to mass homelessness and crippling poverty,and unsustainable/poor stability housing....

its near on 80 years since relatives of mine,escaped similar circumstances of homelessness and insecure housing,by purchasing a modest holding through land commission and built a life/future from there....we are literally going backwards as a nation

FG were ever for the rich,ff used be about poorer families etc,but somewhere along line lost its way....how have they gone from clearing tenaments to proposing co-living accomandation

Yes. That shared living is disgraceful IMO. Do we really think it'll be young professionals and the like? It's another scam designed to bolster profit for the FF/FG building/leasing crowd. A race to the bottom for society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Over a thousand likes on this Tweet already after a few hours

What in the name of jaysus does it take for Donnelly to get a Vote Of No Confidence?

https://twitter.com/Kellie_Tallant/status/1361661102581497865

• Registered Users Posts: 69,338 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And on the daily chaos goes. (What did he say does anyone know?)

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1361781813312643072

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1361781813312643072

Appointed 5 hours ago. Sacked immediately. Account deleted. No retweets or discussions so whatever he said it must have been bad to make them sack him immediately without being forced to do it.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1361781813312643072

Slagged off the Greens, Leo and people on social welfare in the past as per https://mobile.twitter.com/Philip_Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

touts wrote: »
    Appointed 5 hours ago. Sacked immediately. Account deleted. No retweets or discussions so whatever he said it must have been bad to make them sack him immediately without being forced to do it.

If only he had friends/ not friends like Zero Craic or Woulfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

touts wrote: »

Is it a case of these full-time positions FFG created for folk to dredge twitter accounts for any comments that can be used against political opponents earning their keep?

Or a case of someone from within ffg now realising that these things can end up going in either direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Slagged off the Greens, Leo and people on social welfare in the past as per https://mobile.twitter.com/Philip_Ryan

Ah feck. That's any chance of me getting a state job so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,338 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They can trawl other politicians Twitter feeds but not do due diligence on people they are appointing. That figures alright.

https://twitter.com/theddp/status/1361794742879674373/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭golfball37

It’s outrageous that they wouldn’t check someone prior to announcing their appointment to a very senior role.
    Another embarrassment for this car crash Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

golfball37 wrote: »
    It’s outrageous that they wouldn’t check someone prior to announcing their appointment to a very senior role.
    Another embarrassment for this car crash Minister.

Asleep on the job, one might say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not interested in schooling you on the effects of Covid again. Nor going into seasonal minor ups and downs. It's noted you won't accept figures from Focus when they don't suit. Member when you use to call them the 'charity industry'?

If folk don't know who Darragh is as regards government housing policy they probably shouldn't be making fools of themselves trying to discuss it.

As usual neatly side stepped the point on the new 'affordable housing' costing the tax payer and driving up prices. Ye would rather pick holes and tackle the poster.

The statistics and the facts disagree with you, but don't let that stop you.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The statistics and the facts disagree with you, but don't let that stop you.

You'll note I'm the only one supplied them. I was speaking on the fact that covid played a major role in lowering numbers as you know.
    Still avoiding the comment on 'affordable housing' I see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Ireland2021

You'll note I'm the only one supplied them. I was speaking on the fact that covid played a major role in lowering numbers as you know.

Sure your mammy and daddy will give you the deposit, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Speaking of housing, reports in this morning's papers that FFG wanted the ESRI to change their statement on affordable housing impacts.

From the Indo:

ESRI rejects TDs' calls to amend its statement on scheme's impact on house prices
    Housing
    GABIJA GATAVECKAITE
    A LEADING think-tank has rejected calls from Government TDs and senators to change its opening statement to an Oireactas committee on Housing.

The Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) was set to warn the Committee that a shared equity scheme would increase house prices.

Such a scheme is part of Housing Minister Darragh O'Brien's proposed Affordable Housing Bill.

In an unusual move, Government members were critical of the ESRI's comments at a sitting of the Housing Committee and encouraged it to change its opening statement, as they claimed that it did not take into account all aspects of the proposed bill.

However, last night a spokesperson for the ESRI said that there are currently "no plans” to change the opening statement.

It followed comments from TDs and senators including Fine Gael deputy Emer Higgins, who said: "Can you use this opportunity here now to acknowledge that your opening statement only deals with two of the three elements of the bill and therefore could be misleading if it is read as a commentary of the full bill?

"We saw that on the front page of today's [yesterday's] Irish Independent.”

Her claims were also echoed by Fine Gael Senator Mary Seery-Kearney, who said that the ESRI statement should be updated "because it confines itself to two features” and not all of the three parts of the bill. I think it is necessary given today's [yesterday's] media coverage for you to address that your statement has been taken without the wider context being examined,” she said.

Fine Gael Senator John Cummins said: "You have actually ignored a significant part of the bill which is the provision of affordable purchase homes on local authority lands. That is ultimately a very big supply measure that will impact the provision of homes.”

Fianna Fáil TD Paul McAuliffe said that affordable housing on local authority land doesn't "feature” in the ESRI's opening statement.

His Fianna Fáil colleague Senator Mary Fitzpatrick also said that the statement doesn't take into account "local price caps” set for affordability.

However, Conor O'Toole of the ESRI said that the Institute's opening statement is a fair reflection of the research carried out by the body.

"We balanced through the factors, we walked through the factors. We outlined the fact that the supply interventions are very important.

"We contextualised this scheme within the context for the other schemes that are available in the market,” he said.

Mr O'Toole said that there are "merits” to the shared equity scheme proposed in the bill but also "risks”, which the Institute outlined.

The way Government members treated the ESRI at the meeting was "remarkable and unprecedented” according to Sinn Féin TD Eoin Ó Broin.

"The idea that we would suggest independent bodies amend their positions if the government don't like it is a very dangerous road to go down. I was very surprised to see it in my five years of being a member of Committees as I've never seen a witness be treated in such a co-ordinated manner by members.”

Very Trump like Govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They can trawl other politicians Twitter feeds but not do due diligence on people they are appointing. That figures alright.

https://twitter.com/theddp/status/1361794742879674373/photo/1

It's in the Indo this morning, seems your man commited a few social media cardinal sins..

Referred to sw recipients as "kn***ers" and made stereotypic claims about them claiming same multiple times. Not good.

Was highly critical of the green party, claiming they "were clueless on the environment, and lots of other issues" - assumedly checking appointees Social Media accounts is one of them.

He was also apparently highly critical of Leo Varadkar, describing him as "a narcissistic" and calling him "Leo the Leak, on at least two occasions"

Nuff said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    Is it a case of these full-time positions FFG created for folk to dredge twitter accounts for any comments that can be used against political opponents earning their keep?

Or a case of someone from within ffg now realising that these things can end up going in either direction?

Lad loses plum post for alleged social media inputs that you’d be banned from Boards for shocker.!!!

I doubt that there are many who reach retirement age and couldn’t manage to live on the state pension. Most will be debt free without rent or mortgages to pay. There are state supports for those in rented accommodation. Then, there’s medical card, fuel allowance. Things that weren’t available to most while working.

What of those who cant afford to ever buy.......which is approaching 60% of households at present?

By not tackling social housing issue now,your shunting the problem down farther until it become insurmontable in future....its lazy and amounts to political abdication of responsibilites imo

.....a stitch in time,saves nine

Strange. I thought that close to 70% owned or had mortgages. Unless there was a massive rise in renters and an equal drop in home ownership in the last 5 years, it’s roughly 70/30 ownership/renters.

At present 60% of households income,fall below the requorement to raise a mortgage on the average priced house

To.me,that would say that upto 60% households couldnt get a mortgage at present and that it is building up a huge issue that will soon be insurmontable

Try expanding your research. Over 60% of households either own their homes outright or are paying mortgages. Your opinion isn’t fact. MY research is.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CarProblem

I doubt that there are many who reach retirement age and couldn’t manage to live on the state pension

It would be dangerous (actually foolish) to assume current retirement age and (in real terms) level of retirement benefits will remain into the future due to abject failure to tackle the pensions timebomb and throwing money at pensioners to try (successfully to be fair) buy their votes
    Most will be debt free without rent or mortgages to pay

And based on CSO stats rates of deprivation, poverty, at risk of poverty are lowest in the 65+ demographic. This exposes the constant throwing money at pensioners as even more obvious pandering/electioneering aimed at those most likely to vote for the "traditional" parties but least likely to actually need it (last time I checked pensions had increased by c3x the rate of inflation since the mid 90s)
    Then, there’s medical card, fuel allowance. Things that weren’t available to most while working.

Again - completely unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

At present 60% of households income,fall below the requorement to raise a mortgage on the average priced house

To.me,that would say that upto 60% households couldnt get a mortgage at present and that it is building up a huge issue that will soon be insurmontable

Why do they need to get a mortgage for the average house price in order to get a house? I'd prefer statistics using median rather than average, but presumably roughly 50% of properties in Ireland would be below the average house price, if the median is relatively similiar. So we are basically saying that 60% of households that can only afford less than average cost properties are fighting over those 50% of properties. Not that they suddenly can't afford one at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is a clear example of how political campaigners misuse the average (house price) with the median (household income) to make a completely disingenuous political point.

It would actually be a great illustration of this misuse for a maths class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FG trying to tell actual experts they're wrong. There seems to be a trend at the moment. Seems like they're brought their own alternative facts and will push them no matter what.

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1361992429050728448?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

smurgen wrote: »
    FG trying to tell actual experts they're wrong. There seems to be a trend at the moment. Seems like they're brought their own alternative facts and will push them no matter what.

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1361992429050728448?s=19

He'll be labelled a shinner now lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement