Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have less issue with the appointment to the Supreme Court because there was actually some kind of process through the JAB, than I have with the SF crony appointment without a process of a convicted terrorist to the Northern Ireland Education Authority.

There are clear principled distinctions between the two, in my opinion.

I have also been critical of Fine Gael on a number of occasions, their failure to hold the line on water charges, their ignoring the climate change issue for too long, their failures on social welfare reform, their failure to increase LPT etc.

When one is supposedly a position open to applicants but only a crony is put forward and the other an open all party nomination process, you've got an 'issues' problem.

There are indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    These FFG lads are almost in front of AGS as often as the Kinahan's.

What would the chances be of convictions >>>> appeals >>>>> all the way to the Supreme court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I am not sure this is the right place to put this then again maybe it is but are the government and their departments not capable of a bit of forward thinking or planning? We are nearly a year now into this pandemic and for the last 11 months or so we have been in one form of lockdown or another and yet time and time again the government of the departments have failed to plan for coming out of lockdown. Now maybe it is just me and way I think but I would have expected during the first lockdown that within 3 -4 weeks that the government and I am including NPHET and Government departments would have been able to come up with a plan for coming out of the lockdown and how to manager things going forward.

Prime examples of this are education, you would have thought that after the fiasco of last summer that the department would have sat down in September and would have had put a plan together for the leaving cert for this year but nope no plan and as we have seen the students have been left in limbo as to what is going to happen.

Another example is the growing number of people on waiting lists for various ailments that are not covid related but we seem to have no plan in place on being able to deal with covid and keep other parts of the health service open.

Is it just me? This lockdown has been the hardest and still the government are not able to give and indication of when it will end, it is nothing but constant beating down of people like introducing fines, wasting garda resources at stupid checkpoints and even last night the disgusting tweet that the Gardai put up about funerals. When is this going to end. Rant Over. :)

Wonder nó longer.
    That's another dissapointment for a, few I'd say!

https://m.independent.ie/news/two-politicians-to-be-prosecuted-for-golfgate-dinner-40102766.html

Seems odd to be only going after the organisers. If a wet pub opened it's doors the landlord and customers would be fined for breaches.
    IMO those who set and implement the regulations should be dealt with more severely as they can't feign ignorance in the slightest.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    I am not sure this is the right place to put this then again maybe it is but are the government and their departments not capable of a bit of forward thinking or planning? We are nearly a year now into this pandemic and for the last 11 months or so we have been in one form of lockdown or another and yet time and time again the government of the departments have failed to plan for coming out of lockdown. Now maybe it is just me and way I think but I would have expected during the first lockdown that within 3 -4 weeks that the government and I am including NPHET and Government departments would have been able to come up with a plan for coming out of the lockdown and how to manager things going forward.

Prime examples of this are education, you would have thought that after the fiasco of last summer that the department would have sat down in September and would have had put a plan together for the leaving cert for this year but nope no plan and as we have seen the students have been left in limbo as to what is going to happen.

Another example is the growing number of people on waiting lists for various ailments that are not covid related but we seem to have no plan in place on being able to deal with covid and keep other parts of the health service open.

Is it just me? This lockdown has been the hardest and still the government are not able to give and indication of when it will end, it is nothing but constant beating down of people like introducing fines, wasting garda resources at stupid checkpoints and even last night the disgusting tweet that the Gardai put up about funerals. When is this going to end. Rant Over. :)

We are set for a funeral in the family tomoro, a much loved uncle.
    Several of my family, despite advice to the contrary, are going to the house in the morning and attending at, at least, if not inside the church.
    Some of the deceaseds children and grandchildren are home through Belfast yesterday and today from 2 areas of England to attend as well.
    A recipe for disaster I feel.
    But I know neighbours of the deceased are lining the route too.
    Hard to stay away as I was close to the deceased and his family, but I am.
    I have talked to them all via phone and facetime.
    Breaks my heart not to be able to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How did Dara "Covid loves to party" Calleary not get a summons? Or Trickle Hogan.
    I wonder will Justice Woulfe preside :D

Golfgate still in the headlines in Feb 2021. This pleases me.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Let's hope they have a plan b!

What would you suggest?
    There's a plan but events might overtake it, who knows?
    If we have learned anything from covid so far it is, that nothing is or can be certain, as yet anyway

• Advertisement

What would you suggest?
    There's a plan but events might overtake it, who knows?
    If we have learned anything from covid so far it is, that nothing is or can be certain, as yet anyway

It's not up to me to suggest, I know nothing about education. We've seen several complete u turns from this government already where they ignored experts, had no plan b and got things completely wrong. I'm anticipating a fck up as usual!

Several of my family, despite advice to the contrary, are going to the house in the morning and attending at, at least, if not inside the church.
    Some of the deceaseds children and grandchildren are home through Belfast yesterday and today from 2 areas of England to attend as well.

Viewed the funeral of an aunt on the internet last year. I would make some allowances for people but it's not advisable to attend IMO. Tough thing to make a call on.

Im sorry to hear on your uncle,bish

How did Dara "Covid loves to party" Calleary not get a summons? Or Trickle Hogan.
    I wonder will Justice Woulfe preside :D

Golfgate still in the headlines in Feb 2021. This pleases me.

Why is Woulfe not being summoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why is Woulfe not being summoned?

Presumably it's just the organisers.

That is so sad. Thinking of you all.

Sorry to hear that Bishop. I know how it feels. Last month 4 people, 3 of them close, died. 2 covid deaths. I didn't go to 3 of them but I went to the 4th because the person was only 27 and I am practically part of the family. The rest all you could do was stand at the roadside as the hearse passed

Sorry to hear that Bishop. I know how it feels. Last month 4 people, 3 of them close, died. 2 covid deaths. I didn't go to 3 of them but I went to the 4th because the person was only 27 and I am practically part of the family. The rest all you could do was stand at the roadside as the hearse passed

Sorry to hear your story too Floppy, it is sad and unprecedented times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have been in exactly the same situation, and stayed away. It is very tough, but it is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Senator john cummins travelled up from waterford to this and he is favourite to get on the ticket for next election

You were allowed travel except for Kildale, half of Munster were discovering Donegal for the first time ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Fair play to Michael. Giving a bit of optimism and through the proper channels too. Though a gutter rag no less.

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1362519182374547458?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    Fair play to Michael. Giving a bit of optimism and through the proper channels too. Though a gutter rag no less.

Surprised at this especially with the government cheerleaders on here who would usually be slagging of red top papers. Sure we had one say before they only get their news from RTE, the independent or the Times. I wonder is this the influence of the advisor that was appointed from one of the red top newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Surprised at this especially with the government cheerleaders on here who would usually be slagging of red top papers. Sure we had one say before they only get their news from RTE, the independent or the Times. I wonder is this the influence of the advisor that was appointed from one of the red top newspapers?

You'd nearly forget the times Alan Farrell was threatening for NPHET to be disbanded for leaks. Said it wasn't fit for purpose. Wonder does he share the same sentiment at this government? Creating worry for people via a red top.

https://twitter.com/AlanFarrell/status/1317079759030026240?s=19

How can kids go back to school in less than two weeks if theres a "severe Lockdown" still in place?

30 odd kids in the one classroom, going home in the evenings to families?

I don't understand how this is acceptable, but things like getting a haircut aren't

smurgen wrote: »

A bit of anger now at the Taoiseach announcing 9 more weeks of lock down in a newspaper interview rather than addressing the nation. Whoever is advising the Taoiseach or this government on communications would need to have their contract rescinded ASAP. Appalling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    How can kids go back to school in less than two weeks if theres a "severe Lockdown" still in place?

I don't understand how this is acceptable, but things like getting a haircut aren't

You are presumably not a qualified practitioner in pandemic management, so I guess that’s understandable.

Don’t beat yourself up over it Randal.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

A bit of anger now at the Taoiseach announcing 9 more weeks of lock down in a newspaper interview rather than addressing the nation. Whoever is advising the Taoiseach or this government on communications would need to have their contract rescinded ASAP. Appalling stuff.

It really looks like there's people in the background setting Mehole up to look a fool and didn't The Leak contradict him at one point yesterday over the schools reopening, car crash stuff.

You are presumably not a qualified practitioner in pandemic management, so I guess that’s understandable.

My expertise is on the 18 covids before this one Brenner, not covid19, but regardless, I'm still allowed to "not understand the practicalities of something" yeah?

What was the Taoiseachs thinking on this? Surely and advisor worth there €80K plus salary could have seen this coming and told him it was a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/RoisinShortall/status/1362711306650980352

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »

Hard to fathom surely, but you can get a haircut.
    I got mine cut on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement