Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

smurgen wrote: »
    So no update today after the further 9 week leak. This won't be forgotten. The government has failed. There's no plan for people to work with. They'd all summer to plan and failed. This is an extraordinary turn of events.

Try reading other posts and newspaper articles. You might learn a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Try reading other posts and newspaper articles. You might learn a lot.

Go on what's the plan? More personal responsibility? Do we need to double up our personal responsibility efforts? Did you make up your mind on mandatory quarantine yet?

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1362875448775086081?s=19

Go on what's the plan? More personal responsibility? Do we need to double up our personal responsibility efforts? Did you make up your mind on mandatory quarantine yet?

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1362875448775086081?s=19

The plan is to take things One Day At A time, Sweet Jesus. Imagine if the government came out and said that the country was to open up on March/April x,y,z, but then another strain was discovered or there was another surge?

They can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but not all the people, all the time.

Personal responsibility is still vital. Without it, we’ve no hope.

The plan is to take things One Day At A time, Sweet Jesus. Imagine if the government came out and said that the country was to open up on March/April x,y,z, but then another strain was discovered or there was another surge?

They can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but not all the people, all the time.

Personal responsibility is still vital. Without it, we’ve no hope.

The plan is one day at a time. The best money and advisors money can buy and one day at a time is sufficient.
    There needs to be a goal to work towards.
    Tell me who is the people that the government is satisfying now? Personal responsibility is our only hope. Sounds like an admission the government has failed.

The plan is one day at a time. The best money and advisors money can buy and one day at a time is sufficient.
    There needs to be a goal to work towards.
    Tell me who is the people that the government is satisfying now? Personal responsibility is our only hope. Sounds like an admission the government has failed.

Can you come up with anything better? Can you foretell the future of this pandemic?

• Advertisement

Can you come up with anything better? Can you foretell the future of this pandemic?

So that's a no then?

Personal responsibility lol. I'm sure the Irish people that catch this varient should have stopped the flights coming in somehow. If only there was a big organization in control of the country that could have taken control of the situation.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362876164738600967?s=19

So that's a no then?

Seems so!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Personal responsibility lol. I'm sure the Irish people that catch this varient should have stopped the flights coming in somehow. If only there was a big organization in control of the country that could have taken control of the situation.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362876164738600967?s=19

I'd say Maryanne would have no problems whatsoever preaching about personal responsibility to the the thousands of people who have lost family members in our care homes and institutions. The old and the vulnerable were far and away the highest death toll during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Egg all over poor Brendan’s face here.

Blanch ready and waiting to lick it off.

Incorrect horse, and you know it:D

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'd say Maryanne would have no problems whatsoever preaching about personal responsibility to the the thousands of people who have lost family members in our care homes and institutions. The old and the vulnerable were far and away the highest death toll during the pandemic.

All those people that Maryanne would deem irresponsible.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You quoted yourself with an "and to add" post which you clearly regretted almost immediately McMurphy, which is fine, but just odd that you are in full blown denial.

Anyway you clearly want to move on from it so I'm happy to let it go.

Thought he could give the auld Brenner a bit of a kicking Bubba.

Found out the hard way...:D

So he did!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This explains it perfectly https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230341.html”; The Taoiseach has rejected the idea that there is any confusion over lockdown after he told a newspaper Ireland would be in severe restrictions till May.

In a press conference this afternoon Micheál Martin told media he had been clear on the issue and that he has been consistent in saying there would be no large scale reopening of society.

His statement comes after he told the Irish Mirror on Thursday: “We’ve already certainly indicated that beyond Easter we’ll look at it again but until the end of April you can look at significant restrictions and we’ll review it after that then because we’ll have to see where we are.”

On Friday morning, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said that Mr Martin did not say that Level 5 restrictions would last until April and May.
    Speaking on RTÉ radio’s News at One, Mr Varadkar said that the country was facing into tough restrictions into April and that this was well known.

Mr Martin rejected calls to have a formal government announcement and said he had been clear on the issue.

"It's not at all (very confusing), it's very consistent with what I've been saying all along for example, I said Easter some time ago, the key issue is, this will be under constant review, but Nphet are really clear advice to us, schools are the first priority," he said on Friday.

"I don't accept (there is confusion) I mean, the bottom line is this I've been saying consistently prolonged suppression of the virus, I've been saying schools are a priority from the very get-go... since the Dáil resumed.“

None of which relates to the discussion we've been having.
    It's about MM talking to the mirror and saying what he said and then Varadkar saying he didn't etc.
    I appreciate MM says there was no confusion, but as he's at the eye of the storm I can see why he might think that.
    Nobody has claimed MM should or could predict what's going to happen. Not once.

I'm being very reasonable here and discussing the actual content of the video and words in the video James, not any of the point scoring stuff going on around it. If that is gymnastics then put me on the horse.

You are not. You suggested people pointing out the confusion were 'flinging mud to see what sticks'. That's not reasonable IMO.
    You also said you didn't think he said 'severe' and when you were shown he did you moved the goal posts.
    I'll get you a saddle.

I'm a bit confused by the line of thinking on this Irish Mail thing.

So MM said there would be significant restrictions until the end of April at least. I think we all know that. We have had significant restrictions for the most part of 11 months now.

That appears to have been picked up on to mean Level 5 restrictions until that time, or misquoted in the papers as him saying "severe" in error, which he didn't say in the clip released.

LV was asked about L5 restrictions until end of April and said that MM never said this. Which seems to be correct based on the clip of the interview that was released.

So I am quite confused as to why a big deal is being made of it all. Its fascinating really how such things are bigged up to be such "news" these days.

Bubba, the paper bigged it up and tried to sensationalise the interview.

Misquoted the Taoiseach.. deliberately in my opinion

LV put them right but the idiots on Liveline were taken in by false information and ran with the incorrect quote.

Anything to try to do down the Govt.

Took me nearly four pages before you and I put them right.

This is what people are up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You are not. You suggested people pointing out the confusion were 'flinging mud to see what sticks'. That's not reasonable IMO.
    You also said you didn't think he said 'severe' and when you were shown he did you moved the goal posts.
    I'll get you a saddle.

If you watch the actual clip, you will clearly see he said "significant" restrictions to the end of April.

Yes he did use the word "severe", about a minute earlier and making a separate point about the restrictions "up to April" i.e. a different time period. He even says that the restrictions are to be reviewed then in early April before he made his "significant" point.

It actually baffles me how a couple of you are saying I'm the unreasonable one here. I couldn't care less about MM, I actually think he isn't suitable for the top job. But actually listening to what he said in the interview, it is clearly a case of people deliberately misinterpreting him for the sake of making a story out of nothing. Attack him for things that actually happened and actual mistakes, there's enough of that without resorting to this bottom of the barrel stuff.

None of which relates to the discussion we've been having.
    It's about MM talking to the mirror and saying what he said and then Varadkar saying he didn't etc.
    I appreciate MM says there was no confusion, but as he's at the eye of the storm I can see why he might think that.
    Nobody has claimed MM should or could predict what's going to happen. Not once.

At least MM had a nation wide update summarising the current situation and the roadmap for the coming weeks and months to reassure a despondent and distressed population. Oh wait he didn't!

If you watch the actual clip, you will clearly see he said "significant" restrictions to the end of April.

Yes he did use the word "severe", about a minute earlier and making a separate point about the restrictions "up to April" i.e. a different time period. He even says that the restrictions are to be reviewed then in early April before he made his "significant" point.

It actually baffles me how a couple of you are saying I'm the unreasonable one here. I couldn't care less about MM, I actually think he isn't suitable for the top job. But actually listening to what he said in the interview, it is clearly a case of people deliberately misinterpreting him for the sake of making a story out of nothing. Attack him for things that actually happened and actual mistakes, there's enough of that without resorting to this bottom of the barrel stuff.

+100%

I'll explain again, the issue was MM spilling to the Mirror and surmising with no definite plan but suggesting more heavy, (can I use heavy?) restrictions and then Varadkar coming out mansplaining for him. This added to the confusion.
    How or when or if he said 'severe' doesn't change any of that. The idea was, I imagine, that if FF/FG/Green folk can show something wasn't 100% as reported they could dismiss the whole interview.
    You claimed people were 'flinging mud to see what sticks' and now 'resorting to this bottom of the barrel stuff'. That's unreasonable. It's Maryanne standard quite frankly. You are picking an argument nobody is overly concerned about and making the entire discussion all about it.

• Advertisement

The sad thing about all this is that some people will take the mirror at their word and believe that MM actually said the below things. And then when.you watch the interview you realise he didn't say either.

https://twitter.com/johnaquaspeed/status/1362872709420564481?s=19

The sad thing about all this is that some people will take the mirror at their word and believe that MM actually said the below things. And then when.you watch the interview you realise he didn't say either.

https://twitter.com/johnaquaspeed/status/1362872709420564481?s=19

I think it's the height of dishonesty to claim that's the issue in an attempt to dismiss the actual story.

MM spilled to the Mirror, people got upset, Varadkar mansplained. People got more confused. A normal day at the office for FF/FG/Greens.

tenor.gif

I think it's the height of dishonesty to claim that's the issue in an attempt to dismiss the actual story.

MM spilled to the Mirror, people got upset, Varadkar mansplained. people got more confused. A normal day at the office for FF/FG/Greens.

tenor.gif

Thank God they cleared it all up before the weekend ah.

I'll explain again, the issue was MM spilling to the Mirror and surmising with no definite plan but suggesting more heavy, (can I use heavy?) restrictions and then Varadkar coming out mansplaining for him. This added to the confusion.
    How or when or if he said 'severe' doesn't change any of that. The idea was, I imagine, that if FF/FG/Green folk can show something wasn't 100% as reported they could dismiss the whole interview.
    You claimed people were 'flinging mud to see what sticks' and now 'resorting to this bottom of the barrel stuff'. That's unreasonable. It's Maryanne standard quite frankly. You are picking an argument nobody is overly concerned about and making the entire discussion all about it.

Deliberately misquoting the Taoiseach literally is bottom of the barrel attempts at political point scoring. You can claim otherwise all you like, the interview was recorded thankfully and is available for anyone to watch. Where you will clearly see the mirror misquoted him. Unfortunately, the majority of the general population will just see the headline and that will be their opinion formed.

Its tiresome heading into this forum and seeing innacurate news stuff like this to be honest. I'm always hoping for genuine debate on political issues in these types of threads but it always seems to be stuff like this filled with political point scoring and disingenuous posting. There's very little posting based on the actual facts at hand going on around here.

Deliberately misquoting the Taoiseach literally is bottom of the barrel attempts at political point scoring. You can claim otherwise all you like, the interview was recorded thankfully and is available for anyone to watch. Where you will clearly see the mirror misquoted him. Unfortunately, the majority of the general population will just see the headline and that will be their opinion formed.

Its tiresome heading into this forum and seeing innacurate news stuff like this to be honest. I'm always hoping for genuine debate on political issues in these types of threads but it always seems to be stuff like this filled with political point scoring and disingenuous posting. There's very little posting based on the actual facts at hand going on around here.

So do you accept MM said severe restrictions?

Also does anyone else think it's mental that Leo Varadkar called a two week mandatory quarantine disproportionate yet a 5km lockdown for months and months?

So do you accept MM said severe restrictions?

Yes, but not for 9 more weeks to the end of April as was misquoted in the mirror. Very clear in the video for anyone so inclined to view it.

This is so cringe worth I'm grimacing. Meanwhile arrivals still don't have mandatory quarantine.

https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1362779403453952003?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes, but not for 9 more weeks to the end of April as was misquoted in the mirror. Very clear in the video for anyone so inclined to view it.

Every news source is running with 9 weeks, lot of people asking how the F### numbers are still high 8 weeks into a lockdown when no-one is going anywhere,

• Advertisement

Look at who keeps talking about it.
    Most of us are more concerned that MM spilled to the mirror and Varadkar tried to speak for MM. it caused worry and confusion. Instead much of the day has been spent verifying if and when he said 'severe'.
    As I say, look who keeps talking about it..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement