Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Look at who keeps talking about it.
    Most of us are more concerned that MM spilled to the mirror and Varadkar tried to speak for MM. it caused worry and confusion. Instead much of the day has been spent verifying if and when he said 'severe'.
    As I say, look who keeps talking about it..

What did he spill though? I don't believe there was any actual new information there (once you ignore the mirror's misquote). We knew already that severe restrictions were going to be in place until Easter. Here's a week old article about that.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/full-level-5-restrictions-in-place-until-after-easter-but-schools-and-construction-likely-to-reopen-40078219.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If you watch the actual clip, you will clearly see he said "significant" restrictions to the end of April.

Yes he did use the word "severe", about a minute earlier and making a separate point about the restrictions "up to April" i.e. a different time period. He even says that the restrictions are to be reviewed then in early April before he made his "significant" point.

It actually baffles me how a couple of you are saying I'm the unreasonable one here. I couldn't care less about MM, I actually think he isn't suitable for the top job. But actually listening to what he said in the interview, it is clearly a case of people deliberately misinterpreting him for the sake of making a story out of nothing. Attack him for things that actually happened and actual mistakes, there's enough of that without resorting to this bottom of the barrel stuff.

Deliberate misinterpretation is par for the course from the perpetual protestors.

Without it, they wouldn’t have any material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What did he spill though? I don't believe there was any actual new information there (once you ignore the mirror's misquote). We knew already that severe restrictions were going to be in place until Easter. Here's a week old article about that.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/full-level-5-restrictions-in-place-until-after-easter-but-schools-and-construction-likely-to-reopen-40078219.html

But is that article not a spill? Facepalm!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Every news source is running with 9 weeks, lot of people asking how the F### numbers are still high 8 weeks into a lockdown when no-one is going anywhere,

Well they are wrong, even Roisin Shorthall went with “level 5 until the end of April” in a radio interview.

Why can’t people listen to the interview and stop jumping to conclusions.

It doesn’t help of course when people in here continue to ‘tell lies’ and try to say black is white.

Lot of posters with egg on their faces over this and I’m glad we put an end to this attempt to deliberately misrepresent the Taoiseachs interview.

Posters here have questions to answer and need to pull on the ‘big boy pants’

You know who you are and you can collect your spade at casa Brenner

:D

You are not. You suggested people pointing out the confusion were 'flinging mud to see what sticks'. That's not reasonable IMO.
    You also said you didn't think he said 'severe' and when you were shown he did you moved the goal posts.
    I'll get you a saddle.

Stop digging James, the boy Bubba is perfectly right, it’s you shifting the goalposts.

A lot of folk have questions to answer here, including the Mirror who misquoted the Taoiseach for a headline.

That post I quote from you is a total lie.
    A complete misrepresentation of what Bubbaclaus said.

You can put the saddle on your own donkey, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

blanch152 wrote: »
    Deliberate misinterpretation is par for the course from the perpetual protestors.

Without it, they wouldn’t have any material.

Ah there we are as usual with the name calling, perpetually outrage, perpetual protesters, shinners, oh yeah and special needs. You really hate anyone and everyone who doesn't conform your view. Is it a dictatorship you want in place where no one can question the government and if they do they should be taken of to a gulag? It seems from your constant name calling of people who have a different view to you this is what you want.

Just listened to the first four minutes of yesterday’s Liveline, and in my opinion RTE should be taken to task .

Duffy misquoted the Taoiseach as saying “severe restrictions well into April” when he didn’t say that.

He then proceeded to quote an erroneous Mirror strap line and as if that was not enough he played a clip of LVs words on MMS interview and even though LV was perfectly right, Duffy very obviously tried to put doubt on what he said implying the whole event was a shambles.

His whole tactic was, in my opinion to stir up fear and anger in the public and ignore what was actually said.

Disgraceful broadcasting.

Just listened to the first four minutes of yesterday’s Liveline, and in my opinion RTE should be taken to task .

Duffy misquoted the Taoiseach as saying “severe restrictions well into April” when he didn’t say that.

He then proceeded to quote an erroneous Mirror strap line and as if that was not enough he played a clip of LVs words on MMS interview and even though LV was perfectly right, Duffy very obviously tried to put doubt on what he said implying the whole event was a shambles.

His whole tactic was, in my opinion to stir up fear and anger in the public and ignore what was actually said.

Disgraceful broadcasting.

That is your take on it, others have a different take on it and each are entitled to that view.

Here is an article from the journal today where the Taoiseach is clearing up the confusion he caused with his word games.

‘Nothing set in stone’: Amid backlash over messaging, Martin says easing of measures will be constantly reviewed https://jrnl.ie/5359623

Floppybits wrote: »
    That is your take on it, others have a different take on it and each are entitled to that view.

Here is an article from the journal today where the Taoiseach is clearing up the confusion he caused with his word games.

‘Nothing set in stone’: Amid backlash over messaging, Martin says easing of measures will be constantly reviewed https://jrnl.ie/5359623

Unfortunately he didn’t cause the confusion.

The confusion was caused by the media, and I see the IDM still misquoting him. The confusion was caused by Liveline all for the same reason ,to stir up the public and and discredit the govt.

It doesn’t help when people here can’t admit they dug themselves into a hole.

Would be a nice change if for once they fessed up.

Unfortunately he didn’t cause the confusion.

The confusion was caused by the media, and I see the IDM still misquoting him. The confusion was caused by Liveline all for the same reason ,to stir up the public and and discredit the govt.

It doesn’t help when people here can’t admit they dug themselves into a hole.

Would be a nice change if for once they fessed up.

Like the government do when they get caught out?

As far as I am concerned the Taoiseach caused the confusion with what he said. He didn't say there would an easing of restrictions he said the restrictions will be in place till end of April. I would take that as level 5 restrictions will be in place till end of April. So as far as I am concerned that is what he meant and to announce that in a newspaper article rather than addressing the nation shows the contempt he and FFG have for the people of this country. Can see it here as well as I have said in a post above with the behaviour of government supporters always with the name calling and labeling.

• Advertisement

As far as I am concerned the Taoiseach caused the confusion with what he said. He didn't say there would an easing of restrictions he said the restrictions will be in place till end of April. I would take that as level 5 restrictions will be in place till end of April. So as far as I am concerned that is what he meant and to announce that in a newspaper article rather than addressing the nation shows the contempt he and FFG have for the people of this country. Can see it here as well as I have said in a post above with the behaviour of government supporters always with the name calling and labeling.

No confusion. We all know that restrictions will be in place for some time as no one can predict the future.

No confusion. We all know that restrictions will be in place for some time as no one can predict the future.

Why announce that in a red top tabloid interview instead of a proper address to the public?

As far as I am concerned the Taoiseach caused the confusion with what he said. He didn't say there would an easing of restrictions he said the restrictions will be in place till end of April. I would take that as level 5 restrictions will be in place till end of April.So as far as I am concerned that is what he meant and to announce that in a newspaper article rather than addressing the nation shows the contempt he and FFG have for the people of this country. Can see it here as well as I have said in a post above with the behaviour of government supporters always with the name calling and labeling.

I don't get this. So you are deliberately misinterpreting the actual words that came out of his mouth, like the mirror decided to do to get a juicy headline, and that is his fault for announcing it? Even though he didn't announce that?

Can you not see why that is confusing and odd? You are mad at him for saying something he didn't say. Watch the clip, not the headlines in the mirror.

I don't get this. So you are deliberately misinterpreting the actual words that came out of his mouth, like the mirror decided to do to get a juicy headline, and that is his fault for announcing it? Even though he didn't announce that?

Can you not see why that is confusing and odd? You are mad at him for saying something he didn't say. Watch the clip, not the headlines in the mirror.

How am I misinterpreting the words. He said the restrictions will be in place till the end of April as we are at level 5 restrictions then I am sure one can take it that he meant these current restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why announce that in a red top tabloid interview instead of a proper address to the public?

Met an obvious homeless man yesterday on the quays who asked me "spare €2 bud, gonna buy a copy of the Dail record" thought to myself, at least his pitch is unique.

Ten minutes later I passed him again with the daily mirror under his arm. Seems his sales pitch though comical and unique, was at least somewhat genuine.

How am I misinterpreting the words. He said the restrictions will be in place till the end of April as we are at level 5 restrictions then I am sure one can take it that he meant these current restrictions?

He said severe restrictions to easter, which would then be reviewed in early April, and later on in the interview said significant restrictions to the end of April. Which makes sense because you are not going to go from Level 5 to wide open all of a sudden. If you are interpreting that as being the same restrictions as right now then thats on you, not him, given he didn't say that. Level 4 and Level 3 are significant restrictions also.

We may well end up with Level 5 to the end of April, depending on how the next 5 weeks go, but to claim he "announced" that in the the interview is inaccurate, no matter how badly the mirror misquoted him.

Lookit, it’s all there in words and pictures, look at it again and take in the context.

You misinterpreted his words, no big deal.

The big deal is that you seem to blame the Taoiseach for your mistake.

You seem to blame the LV for pointing out your mistake, and correcting the mistakes made by the media and the Mirror.

Innacurate headlining is to blame, similar to Liveline ,who’s host’s agenda ,in my opinion,tried to stir up the public for the betterment of his own show, by casting doubt over what the Taoiseach actually said, despite it being there in black and white.

In fairness, it’s pretty much common sense! If he’d announced an immediate lifting of all restrictions to a red top, then outrage would be justified.

In fairness, it’s pretty much common sense! If he’d announced an immediate lifting of all restrictions to a red top, then outrage would be justified.

What's common sense in this context? Is this the same as taking personal responsibility during a pandemic where not everyone has access to the relevant information or the means to interpret that information? You seem to put a massive burden on ordinary citizens but will absolve three leaders in government for anything. Why is that do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The Irish examiner reports that a security fence has been erected around the minister for health home. People have been throwing things at his house and leaving rubbish on his doorstep.

Luke "ming " Flanagan has called it "unacceptable "

• Advertisement

The Irish examiner reports that a security fence has been erected around the minister for health home. People have been throwing things at his house and leaving rubbish on his doorstep.

Luke "ming " Flanagan has called it "unacceptable "

Which it is.

Why the inverted commas?

smurgen wrote: »
    What's common sense in this context? Is this the same as taking personal responsibility during a pandemic where not everyone has access to the relevant information or the means to interpret that information? You seem to put a massive burden on ordinary citizens but will absolve three leaders in government for anything. Why is that do you think?

Of course personal responsibility has a huge part to play in beating this pandemic. There are people trying to get around travel restrictions by booking unnecessary dental and other cosmetic procedures abroad. Others ignore funeral size and tun up regardless. When removed from the church, then proceeded to hold a wake with numerous attendees. The list is endless.
    The stirring of hatred towards the government has led to the erecting of a security fence outside the home of the health minister. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230365.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'd say many FFG politicians will be reluctant to do the weekend radio shows this weekend. Way too much defending to do over the communications chaos and the lack of quarantine. Hard to believe we are at the end of February and there is still no mandatory quarantine. 1 year to make a plan for it? And now the Brazil variant is in. Should be fun listening to the excuses.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'd say many FFG politicians will be reluctant to do the weekend radio shows this weekend. Way too much defending to do over the communications chaos and the lack of quarantine. Hard to believe we are at the end of February and there is still no mandatory quarantine. 1 year to make a plan for it?

It's all gone downhill since Leo's strategic communication unit was forced to shut up shop......................by FF.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

McMurphy wrote: »
    Which it is.

Why the inverted commas?

He wasn't happy about it.

Of course personal responsibility has a huge part to play in beating this pandemic. There are people trying to get around travel restrictions by booking unnecessary dental and other cosmetic procedures abroad. Others ignore funeral size and tun up regardless. When removed from the church, then proceeded to hold a wake with numerous attendees. The list is endless.
    The stirring of hatred towards the government has led to the erecting of a security fence outside the home of the health minister. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230365.html

And how about government responsibility? What in your eyes is the governments role to play in the pandemic if any?

It's all gone downhill since Leo's strategic communication unit was forced to shut up shop......................by FF.

:pac:

More advisors required methinks. Money no object.

He wasn't happy about it.

You'll need to be less cryptic here, would you expect him to be happy with a government minister having stuff thrown at his private home?

Don't get me wrong, I think Ming is a grade A bellend, feckin campaigning for turfcutters one day, and then out promoting McHugh and her green ethos the next.

However you would hardly expect anyone to condone pelting stuff at Donnelly's house now.

The government are completely to blame for letting the Brazilian variant in. The delays and chaos surrounding the quarantine is a complete joke. We are an island, this should be much easier for us.

These headlines after the horse has bolted are pathetic.
    Appeal to travellers from Brazil to get Covid tests after variant discovered

Reactive, never proactive.

• Advertisement

You'll need to be less cryptic here, would you expect him to be happy with a government minister having stuff thrown at his private home?

Don't get me wrong, I think Ming is a grade A bellend, feckin campaigning for turfcutters one day, and then out promoting McHugh and her green ethos the next.

However you would hardly expect anyone to condone pelting stuff at Donnelly's house now.

Ming is great value for money the Saoirse McHugh Twitter post was one of the funniest things to happen last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement