Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

That would also be misleading. There are people have not been offered. You'd need contact someone to offer.

Anyway was pointing out the flaw with the ad and it is making a false claim.

Its only really misleading if we are going to be nit picking at this stage
    If an over 70 qualifies,which they do,they can contact their or another gp and get a vaccine appointment
    They wont be refused one
    Thats my understanding,issues as to why they had to chase it up not withstanding
    When my turn comes,It is me tfat will be doing the phoning

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobotty wrote: »
    If an over 70 qualifies,which they do,they can contact their or another gp and get a vaccine appointment
    They wont be refused one
    Thats my understanding,issues as to why they had to chase it up not withstanding

There were people directly contradicting that on the show today. One lady, an asthmatic with one lung in her 80's(?) Still not vaccinated despite ringing GP almost every day. Calls queuing up, similar stories, according to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    Are you seriously denying that you have not heard the latest Government covid ad on every single Radio channel. It's played at every single ad break throughout the day, where they claim they have vaccinated all the over 70's and frontline workers. Just find it hard to believe you have not heard that.

Yes, change station the minute ads come in, or mute to make phone call. Never listen to ads. Watch all tv on record, so I don't have to watch ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They wont be refused one

No the advert is completely misleading. It states a fiction.

Your suggested correction would also be misleading. They can't say they offered to people they've not contacted.

There are vaccinations available, yes.

If everyone has to phone to book it will be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jack Chambers getting a very tough time on the Tonight show re Covid and closed businesses.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Jack Chambers getting a very tough time on the Tonight show re Covid and closed businesses.

From who?

I thought the opposition favoured stronger restrictions?

OR are they just against whatever the government do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blanch152 wrote: »
    From who?

Norah Casey mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I've heard the add
    Its wording is misleading
    What it should say is it has offered all the over 70's a vaccine
    For whatever reason some will not take it up,or wont have been contacted
    Theres a sugery in Naas which Duffy highlighted a few weeks back where the lead doctor is anti vax
    If you are a customer of one like that,you might never know
    The portal supposedly coming at the end of April is a good idea and works well in the North
    You can take direct action once you are eligible versus waiting for your own surgery to call you

Both of my parents are over 70 . Neither have been vaccinated or offered a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Both of my parents are over 70 . Neither have been vaccinated or offered a vaccine

I'm sure there are loads not vaccinated yet.
    But that doesn't mean the next group can't be started either.
    It's a bit hectic out there vaccine wise and when you see the stories of rogue vaccinations against missed entitled ones it doesn't overly inspire confidence.
    If you're looking for overly optimistic and bloated good news figures then the HSE are as good at that as delivering the bad news frightening one's too.
    I'm not sure the govt can be blamed for this as the HSE provide the figures.
    We all know full well the HSE ain't perfect, far from it.
    Wishing your parents well.

Did they ring their GP to ask why not?

• Advertisement

Duffy played it over and over on his show today. You can hear it here: 034.50

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21932839

I heard the advert this morning and they said most were now complete. I assume that they’ve changed the wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I heard the advert this morning and they said most were now complete. I assume that they’ve changed the wording.

And by that assumption, you are presumably acknowledging the earlier version of the advert was wrong?

(You know the advert that brought about this discussion?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

They need to ask their gp
    Some small gp's aren't buddying up with larger ones for vaccine roll outs
    Whats happening on the ground and whats supposed to be happening doesnt always match but as I said upthread,they are entitled to get it now either from their own gp or another

McMurphy wrote: »
    And by that assumption, you are presumably acknowledging the earlier version of the advert was wrong?

(You know the advert that brought about this discussion?)

One can learn from ones mistakes! To err is human, to forgive, Divine.

It seems that no matter what the government does, it won’t satisfy the permanently outraged.

It seems that no matter what the government does, it won’t satisfy the permanently outraged.

It says something that the only thing the permanently outraged have to complain about is an ad that was not fully accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

f23ba0be00e71b5d88731977b3ca4905d2-13-everything-is-awesom.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It says something that the only thing the permanently outraged have to complain about is an ad that was not fully accurate.

Denying the distress the lies told in the ad caused the public, most of whom (particularly the cohort affected) have done everything asked off them and more? The 'people' top be blamed again rather than those who created the ad.

Be nice to see the government defenders even slightly critical for once, instead of turning their guns on the messengers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So is this what you are reducing people now, name calling? Just because they hold an opposite view to you or maybe want to see higher standards from those people in government. You may not like it because it means that your cozy little cartel will be broken up but there is no need for this name calling.

What's the term for people who never criticise government and deflect or defend every issue raised, such as denying and excusing the purposefully misleading advert? Or is the suggestion they didn't know their own figures and just put the add out anyway?

Yeah, if you're honest, it seems when the government **** up, people comment.

'Alternative truth'?
    If by 'not fully accurate' you mean misleading, sure. At least now you accept it exists.
    Might some be 'the permanently excusing'?

I'm sure all the elderly and their families thinking they were forgotten will appreciate being lumped in with people rightly criticising bad moves by government, the homeless, sick and protestors as 'the permanently outraged'.
    Smell of 'let them eat cake' off the permanently excusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh I'm not outraged Maryanne, just fact checking your earlier contributions - however, no doubt those in the 70+ age bracket, who have been complaining will find a lot of solace in your empathetic description or them as being permanently outraged.

Lovely contribution, go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

an ad that was not fully accurate.

I think in the advertising world it would be called "misleading". Lay people may even call it "lies"

So is this what you are reducing people now, name calling? Just because they hold an opposite view to you or maybe want to see higher standards from those people in government. You may not like it because it means that your cozy little cartel will be broken up but there is no need for this name calling.

What are you talking about? Who was I calling names?

Calling members of the public and/or elderly people feeling mislead by the advert 'permanently outraged' is rude and dismissive. It also ignores the issue which is likely the agenda.

Just to help you remember what you said and as other posters have reminded you.

Just to help you remember what you said and as other posters have reminded you.

Permanently outraged is not calling people names, you hear the same people of Joe Duffy and Adrian Kennedy, you see the same stuff on Twitter and on here, always outraged about something the government has done. It is a statement of fact.

Permanently outraged is not calling people names, you hear the same people of Joe Duffy and Adrian Kennedy, you see the same stuff on Twitter and on here, always outraged about something the government has done. It is a statement of fact.

And what is wrong with that? As far as I am aware people are allowed be angry, disappointed, pleased or what ever the government and are free to express that and should not be belittled or put down by people calling them permanently outraged or what ever put down is flavour of the day.

With this government they have given people a lot to be angry and outraged about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Superbly worded post. It's a crime around here to seek higher standards. Mediocre is preferred to protect the status quo.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

So different people with different issues are 'permanently outraged' if the topic is poor government? Nope.
    How are elderly people voicing concern and worry over a misleading vaccination/HSE advert 'permanently outraged'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The reason why the people are always outraged is because our government is a shambles. The only good thing the government has done is PUP.

If we are not happy with how the government/cartel is doing, are we supposed to just sit back and keep our mouths shut? I do know you are not the biggest fan of SF and if they were in power would you keep your mouth shut?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement