Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any link to that story Fann Linn?

It's in this mornings Times. Unfortunately I don't know how to link it sorry.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/second-whistleblower-steps-forward-in-animal-cruelty-case-dropped-after-heather-humphreys-letter-7rgwn5rvx

Sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pretty serious allegations, I'm not sure how not one, but two protective disclosures can be ignored.

Sounds fairly dodgy to me. And she's the caretaker justice minister? Jaysis.
    The charges were dropped after Humphreys sent a letter she received from Wright’s associates to Brendan Gleeson, the secretary-general at the Department of Agriculture. The letter made unfounded claims about the prosecution of the case which was due before the courts.

The whistleblower, who worked in the department, has alleged the case was not handled in accordance with procedure. They have also alleged that 107 cattle were missing from Wright’s farm when it was inspected for TB. Farmers are obliged to alert the department to the sale and death of cattle to stop the spread of bovine TB but this had not occurred.

The whistleblower maintains the officials who made the decision to withdraw the charges did not consult the legal team involved in prosecuting the case and also ignored advice from the veterinary inspectors who wished to prosecute.
    The whistleblower is the second official in the department to make a protected disclosure about the case. In July, another official involved in the prosecution raised serious allegations about the collapse of the case against Wright, who has a string of criminal convictions for inflicting cruelty on farm animals.

The first protected disclosure highlighted significant anomalies in the department’s handling of the case and questioned the reliability of information provided to the department’s legal services division, whose advice was sought on whether to withdraw the charges.

The department has yet to take any action on the contents of the first protected disclosure.

Wright was facing charges related to the discovery of sick and injured cattle on his farm when the charges were dropped. Among them was a calf with a wound to one of its legs, caused by a broken bone protruding through the animal’s skin.

Wright himself also had two previous convictions for similar offences which once prompted a judge to describe the conditions of cattle found on his farm as “shocking”, “stomach-turning” and “disturbing” when he came before Monaghan district court in 2017.

A spokesman for Humphreys said: “As has been outlined previously, a family member of Mr Wright provided correspondence to the minister outlining their concerns.

“The minister was not in a position nor was it her role to investigate those concerns. The correspondence was therefore passed on to the appropriate department by a member of staff.

“To be absolutely clear — the minister did not write any supporting letter nor did she give any view on, or make any representations in relation to the matter.

“The Department of Agriculture itself has confirmed that no political representations were made in relation to this case.”

The Department of Agriculture did not respond to questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

From 1 December, under Level 3, as set out in the Plan for Living with COVID-19:

- weddings with up to 25 guests are permitted (same as current provisions)
    - funerals with up to 25 mourners are permitted (same as current provisions)
    - no organised indoor events should take place, other than as provided

It's in clear breach of the rules. We shall see over the weekend if the story grows legs.

Jesus just when you think our politicians couldn’t be anymore thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Did anyone watch this display of theatrics from Alan Kelly attacking Health Minister Stephen Donnelly in the Dail last Thursday?

Who is he trying to impress with this tirade of psuedo indignation?

Cringe-worthy in the extreme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUDrpjb_sk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The govt seems.to have lost the dressing room here.
    Thats due in no small part to dangerous opposition and social media criticisms gaining traction imo.
    The sheep shaggers are slowly becoming the shepherd's.
    Dangerous few months ahead i reckon.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/results-of-landmark-opinion-poll-revealed-public-opinion-turns-on-government-regarding-covid-and-vaccine-roll-out-40272480.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Covid has been the great revealer with respect to Irish politics/society.

The next election will be epic.

Things never change Frances Fitzgerald was elected to Europe shur.

The govt seems.to have lost the dressing room here.
    Thats due in no small part to dangerous opposition and social media criticisms gaining traction imo.
    The sheep shaggers are slowly becoming the shepherd's.
    Dangerous few months ahead i reckon.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/results-of-landmark-opinion-poll-revealed-public-opinion-turns-on-government-regarding-covid-and-vaccine-roll-out-40272480.html

So it's the dangerous opposition, nothing at all to to with poor performance in government, getting everything completely wrong, mixed messaging and constant flip flops!

So it's the dangerous opposition, nothing at all to to with poor performance in government, getting everything completely wrong, mixed messaging and constant flip flops!

Mostly yes imo.
    The vaccine roll out depends on supply and that hasn't been as was promised by the manufacturers.
    Opposition of anything the govt announces by political opponents and anti maskers fuelling dissent.
    The restrictions, are being flouted up and down the country because of it.

Mostly yes imo.
    The vaccine roll out depends on supply and that hasn't been as was promised by the manufacturers.
    Opposition of anything the govt announces by political opponents and anti maskers fuelling dissent.
    The restrictions, are being flouted up and down the country because of it.

They can't even give the correct figures for the expected supply, or even the same figure by two different ministers, nothing at all to do with the opposition or the anti makers! The head doesn't know what the arse is doing

They can't even give the correct figures for the expected supply, or even the same figure by two different ministers, nothing at all to do with the opposition or the anti makers! The head doesn't know what the arse is doing

Hard to give the correct figures when the manufacturers keep changing them.
    They are dealing with it as it arises.
    It's easy to sit opposing when all you have to do is talk and type with not a thought of the affect of your brave chat.
    The opposition and the anti maskers are having a destabilising affect on even the public health message now.
    Even the Dublin footballers and management have joined in.
    As I said, dangerous few months ahead because of a lot of political opposition and social media bravo and bollixology.
    I'd include the general news media sensationalism in that criticism too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

By "dangerous opposition" bishop of course means an actual opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

More people are getting fed up with restrictions, they take this frustration out on government as its the easy target.
    No surprise really.
    If it was all opened up again, people would be frustrated at the level of covid cases.
    Handling a pandemic was always going to be a no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dangerous is voting for 2 sides of the same coin for decades. The continual power swap encouraged corruption and inaction.

It meant major problems were not addressed and we all know the consequences.

Prime example (INMO Memo from November 2019, 3 months before Covid)

https://inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549
    2019 has seen the highest number of patients on trolleys in any year since records began – despite it still being November.

“Winter has only just begun and the record is already broken. These statistics are the hallmark of a wildly bureaucratic health service, which is failing staff and patients alike.

“We take no pleasure in having to record these figures for a decade and a half. We know the problem, but we also know the solutions: extra beds in hospitals, safe staffing levels, and more step-down and community care outside of the hospital.

“No other developed country faces anything close to this trolley problem. It can be solved, but a strong political agenda to drive change is needed.

Hospitals should be a place of safety and care – not danger.”

Problem ignored by FFG for decades. You reap what you sow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dangerous is voting for 2 sides of the same coin for decades. The continual power swap encouraged corruption and inaction.

It meant major problems were not addressed and we all know the consequences.

Prime example (INMO Memo from November 2019, 3 months before Covid)

https://inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549

Problem ignored by FFG for decades. You reap what you sow.

Course it can, but to do that taxes need jacking up, means folk tipping around around the edges need to be brought into the net... you know who..
    folk who fly to UAE for procedures whilst allegedly on state assistance...it’s out there dude.... JQT can’t bankroll everyone;)

Course it can, but to do that taxes need jacking up, means folk tipping around around the edges need to be brought into the net... you know who..
    folk who fly to UAE for procedures whilst allegedly on state assistance...it’s out there dude.... JQT can’t bankroll everyone;)

Yes and they need to sort it out.

Q. Which government brought in this welfare state that is so easily abused?
    A. Successive FFG governments

I do believe the IMF warned us about this waste 10 years ago and told us to sort it out. There is incredible waste in our system and within the HSE. Did you watch the program about the OPW? The power swap governments have ignored this for decades. The IMF warned us about the wasteful quangos too and FG set up the biggest quango of them all (Irish Water).

As the INMO said in Nov 2019...
    No other developed country faces anything close to this trolley problem. It can be solved, but a strong political agenda to drive change is needed.

Why would FFG change the status quo when the gullible sheep elect them every other election? I did it myself in the hope they would improve things. Covid has been the great revealer though. The mask has slipped.

FFG, sheep, Irish Water. That’s almost making me nostalgic for 2011.

I do believe the IMF warned us about this waste 10 years ago and told us to sort it out. There is incredible waste in our system and within the HSE. Did you watch the program about the OPW? The power swap governments have ignored this for decades. The IMF warned us about the wasteful quangos too and FG set up the biggest quango of them all (Irish Water).

Why would FFG change the status quo when the gullible sheep elect them every other election? I did it myself in the hope they would improve things. Covid has been the great revealer though. The mask has slipped.

It’s all very well saying that the welfare is being abused. Yes, it is. But by a small minority. Should we reduce the payment across the board as a result? No. There are many, who through no fault of their own lack the skills necessary to gain and maintain employment. They’re not disabled in a way that would entitle them to a disability payment.
    Regarding the OPW program, I laughed at the brass neck of the man responsible for valuations for 30odd years giving out about waste. No doubt there is some. I am only too glad to see the likes of the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle etc maintained for the future generations.

Yet when Varadkar suggests turning over welfare cheats all hell breaks loose.

Yet when National ID cards are mooted all hell breaks loose.

Yet when people give birth to beautiful babies nobody can identify the father and the State has to pick up the tab and the father takes off and probably does the same again!!

C’mon dude, grow up.

Yet when people give birth to beautiful babies nobody can identify the father and the State has to pick up the tab and the father takes off and probably does the same again!!

C’mon dude, grow up.

'All hell breaks loose' - so you are saying that FG are afraid to reform? They don't have the courage of their convictions? They bow to social media is it? They shirk from making tough decisions? The status quo vote is more important than progress? Grand so, we can just accept waste and mediocrity forever?

You will see no objection from me when it comes to welfare cheats or national ID cards. I think Covid has taught everyone the need for an electronic health ID system.

But at the same time the government needs to come down hard on taxpayer waste. Mary is still blaming 1 whistleblower for the obscene waste within the OPW. It was FG that brought in the whistleblower legislation and we've known for years that the OPW was a complete doss-house. You folks even spent months defending insurance cheats who are TDs!

Enda Kenny and FG had a chance to transform the nation in 2011 and he absolutely blew it. The opportunity of a lifetime and they had no leadership and no vision. They just sat back and hoped for the best.

It’s all very well saying that the welfare is being abused. Yes, it is. But by a small minority. Should we reduce the payment across the board as a result? No. There are many, who through no fault of their own lack the skills necessary to gain and maintain employment. They’re not disabled in a way that would entitle them to a disability payment.
    Regarding the OPW program, I laughed at the brass neck of the man responsible for valuations for 30odd years giving out about waste. No doubt there is some. I am only too glad to see the likes of the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle etc maintained for the future generations.

I don't know why I bother reply to this stuff....did you actually watch the RTE Investigates program? Nobody is trying to shut down the Tipp landmarks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

C’mon dude, grow up.

When Varadkar exaggerates welfare cheating to score cheap political points all hell breaks loose Brendi.

The power swap are responsible for the state of our welfare state. If there are people gaming the system it is down to those responsible to stop it and run an efficient system, not do the usual cheap guilt tripping.

When Varadkar exaggerates welfare cheating to score cheap political points all hell breaks loose Brendi.

The power swap are responsible for the state of our welfare state. If there are people gaming the system it is down to those responsible to stop it and run an efficient system, not do the usual cheap guilt tripping.

Hmm...... I would have thought all recent events would have backed up the boy Varadkar, but hey, I guess some folk have a problem with reality.

Folks on LPA traveling to the Middle East for allegedly non essential procedures.

Lads in big firms gaming the system in insider stuff

Vaccines being peddled and systems allegedly being punched apart from all fronts.

The usual mistakes made in all the different areas....... ‘Dont trust Pat to keep his paws out of the till, metaphorically speaking in most cases.’

Football teams abusing training regulations....

Then you have the auld ....’Aaah shure’ crowd defending them.

You cannot win, I says, you cannot win.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hmm...... I would have thought all recent events would have backed up the boy Varadkar, but hey, I guess some folk have a problem with reality.

Folks on LPA traveling to the Middle East for allegedly non essential procedures.

Vaccines being peddled and systems allegedly being punched apart from all fronts.

The usual mistakes made in all the different areas....... ‘Dont trust Pat to keep his paws out of the till, metaphorically speaking in most cases.’

And there's Leo above it all, the butter not melting in his angelic mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'All hell breaks loose' - so you are saying that FG are afraid to reform? They don't have the courage of their convictions? They bow to social media is it? They shirk from making tough decisions? The status quo vote is more important than progress?

FG know 'reform' in the direction you advocate would bring minimal political gains but runs the risk of significant losses. They already have virtually every vaguely 'conservative' or 'right wing' voter in the bag so what would they gain from reining in the Welfare State? On the other hand they would risk a significant slippage of their vote among public sector workers, pensioners etc.

FG know 'reform' in the direction you advocate would bring minimal political gains but runs the risk of significant losses. They already have virtually every vaguely 'conservative' or 'right wing' voter in the bag so what would they gain from reining in the Welfare State? On the other hand they would risk a significant slippage of their vote among public sector workers, pensioners etc.

Yeah if I was a public servant I would vote FG all day long. They turn a blind eye to waste. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Crappy news site indeed but still not a good look for Martin.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rough-sleepers-moved-dail-allegedly-23849595

titan18 wrote: »

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rough-sleepers-moved-dail-allegedly-23849595

Reminds me of the time in 2014 when Enda Kenny did a walkabout around Dublin city centre to speak to homeless people. He was shocked and saddened etc etc

Of course he had been in Dublin as a TD for nearly 40 years at this stage and didn't seem to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You can't win because the usual parties FF and FG do as they please and know they will get away with it. Just look at what the last and current Taoiseach have done.

This need's to stop and hopefully if Leo gets charged and Martin gets investigated that will be a start. All we need next is a government that is not part of the cartel old boys network.

titan18 wrote: »

Crappy reporting. A homeless person says “The gardai told us today you can’t be near a Government building, apparently the Taoiseach is uncomfortable.” and gullible people take it as Gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah if I was a public servant I would vote FG all day long. They turn a blind eye to waste. Happy days.

But if you're a private sector worker you're probably going to vote FG too because you have no good reason to expect a better deal from any of the other parties. So you can see why there's little incentive for FG to "come down hard on taxpayer waste"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement