Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yeah if I was a public servant I would vote FG all day long. They turn a blind eye to waste. Happy days.

Speaking as a PS I think I got more from FF over the years compared to FG.Still wouldn't vote for either of them however, was LP until 2011 and since then Indo and most recently SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It’s all very well saying that the welfare is being abused. Yes, it is. But by a small minority. Should we reduce the payment across the board as a result? .

If only the govt had level headed thinkers like yourself when it came up MUP on alcohol pricing Mary. Raising the price to try and combat problem drinking is an absolutely nonsensical brainfart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The govt seems.to have lost the dressing room here.
    Thats due in no small part to dangerous opposition and social media criticisms gaining traction imo.
    The sheep shaggers are slowly becoming the shepherd's.
    Dangerous few months ahead i reckon.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/results-of-landmark-opinion-poll-revealed-public-opinion-turns-on-government-regarding-covid-and-vaccine-roll-out-40272480.html

By pointing out what FF/FG/Green do. The blagards

So we can call folk 'sheep shaggers' now. Noted.

It’s all very well saying that the welfare is being abused. Yes, it is. But by a small minority. Should we reduce the payment across the board as a result? No. There are many, who through no fault of their own lack the skills necessary to gain and maintain employment....

Bookmarked.
    Next time some bowsie waffles on about 'dem that don't work' and welfare fraud being why we can't have nice things, we'll tackle them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yet when Varadkar suggests turning over welfare cheats all hell breaks loose.

Yet when National ID cards are mooted all hell breaks loose.

Yet when people give birth to beautiful babies nobody can identify the father and the State has to pick up the tab and the father takes off and probably does the same again!!

C’mon dude, grow up.

Spot on. The same posters who gave about Varadkar calling out welfare cheats are the ones giving out about the government not doing enough to sort out welfare cheats.

You couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

blanch152 wrote: »
    Spot on. The same posters who gave about Varadkar calling out welfare cheats are the ones giving out about the government not doing enough to sort out welfare cheats.

You couldn't make it up.

You just did. Proof?

;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You just did. Proof?

;)

You are not facing facts, my friend.

This pandemic has lifted the slate of a very sleazy cohort who are now getting exposed.

I will have to say that weak govt. over the years has been a contributor, in so far that poor legislation and poor systems are now coming home to roost.

A lot of things need ‘tightening up’ when we get through this pandemic.

A lot of ‘tail wagging dog’ stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

By pointing out what FF/FG/Green do. The blagards

So we can call folk 'sheep shaggers' now. Noted.

Noted? I see the next one is bookmarked?
    What do I have to do to get a bookmark and which is worst?

You are not facing facts, my friend.

This pandemic has lifted the slate of a very sleazy cohort who are now getting exposed.

I will have to say that weak govt. over the years has been a contributor, in so far that poor legislation and poor systems are now coming home to roost.

A lot of things need ‘tightening up’ when we get through this pandemic.

A lot of ‘tail wagging dog’ stuff going on.

I asked Blanch for proof on his accusation. Not sure why you are replying on his behalf. He is very quick to report posts, something I have never done, so I'll wait for his response before commenting futher. I expect to be waiting knowing what I know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The whipping boys and girls are taking a fair whipping in this coalition/merger as expected.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40258550.html?fbclid=IwAR0xsK3xJuNWFsV12OJt6FxEe9dsMIpcCnTBEh9Je8K2AnjKtmUu487QWjU

• Advertisement

You couldn't make it up.

You've quotes that match the context of your comment?

Can you find one person who criticised Varadkar's PR stunt and said welfare fraud was okay?
    Can you find one comment giving out about tackling welfare cheats/fraud?

I think you are quoting mystery posters carrying two pints, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You've quotes that match the context of your comment?

Can you find one person who criticised Varadkar's PR stunt and said welfare fraud was okay?
    Can you find one comment giving out about tackling welfare cheats/fraud?

I think you are quoting mystery posters carrying two pints, again.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/over-e75m-in-social-welfare-payments-reclaimed-in-fraud-investigations-1076161.html

Can u find one person who says they were in the pub when that poor lad was attacked.

Doesn’t mean they weren’t there Jim Bob.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/over-e75m-in-social-welfare-payments-reclaimed-in-fraud-investigations-1076161.html

Can u find one person who says they were in the pub when that poor lad was attacked.

Doesn’t mean they weren’t there Jim Bob.

Think that particular poster is doing a month of porridge in the slammer, Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Extremely positive news out today on the States finances for Q1 2021. Tax collection for Q1 2021 is up 1% (130 million) on Q1 2020, with income tax up 4%. Shows the resilience of the economy 12 months into the pandemic, and puts us in a very strong position to come out of this quickly from an economic standpoint once the vaccine rollout is complete.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/475b1-fiscal-monitor-march-2021/

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Extremely positive news out today on the States finances for Q1 2021. Tax collection for Q1 2021 is up 1% (130 million) on Q1 2020, with income tax up 4%. Shows the resilience of the economy 12 months into the pandemic, and puts us in a very strong position to come out of this quickly from an economic standpoint once the vaccine rollout is complete.

It was to be expected, none of the big industries felt any hit at all, business as usual turn a blind eye to flying in slaves while small industries perish and die!

There was me thinking that the country is run by incompetent imbeciles.

There was me thinking that the country is run by incompetent imbeciles.

The country is being run by big industries!

The country is being run by big industries!

It really isn’t, despite what one might read in the murkier parts of social media.

I think its fair to say that none of that is down to government policy. The people of Ireland and the multinationals deserve the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think its fair to say that none of that is down to government policy. The people of Ireland and the multinationals deserve the credit.

To claim "none" of a resilient economy is down to Government policy is quite an interesting one I must say. Will take a note of it the next time the finances aren't looking so great :)

• Advertisement

To claim "none" of a resilient economy is down to Government policy is quite an interesting one I must say. Will take a note of it the next time the finances aren't looking so great :)

The government ran a deficit of 4 billion in March alone. I'll give them credit for that given the 3 months of Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Fair play Norma. Takes guts to make the right decision in the circumstances.
    Meanwhile Aodhan ORiordan has taken to twitter (where else) to pander to his old union buddies. What an irrelevance he is.

The government ran a deficit of 4 billion in March alone. I'll give them credit for that given the 3 months of Level 5.

A large share of that spending was paid directly to households in the form of income support. Time for a cut?

Do you want social welfare payments cut?

No, she wants them increased and the deficit cut. See?

That's not what I said. However if the govt handled the restrictions better in December we would not be running such a high deficit in March, 3 months after the meaningful Christmas.

That's not what I said. However if the govt handled the restrictions better in December we would not be running such a high deficit in March, 3 months after the meaningful Christmas.

So we now have one of the lowest rates in Europe, and you somehow think things should be better than that?

I am a bit confused. Would you prefer us to be France?

So we now have one of the lowest rates in Europe, and you somehow think things should be better than that?

I am a bit confused. Would you prefer us to be France?

It took us 3 months to fix the mistake they made. 3 months of Level 5. It was an expensive price to pay for meaningful votes.

Any response to my proof question yesterday?

Go further and see what the brave new Left-led government will do to "improve" the economy

Banking: Private ownership of Irish banks has failed. With public
    banking, credit would be more accessible for projects that better
    society. Public banking would stop bankers running away with taxfree profits.

Construction: We could build 20,000 new units next year via a staterun construction company. This would increase supply by 100,000
    houses over five years. New construction projects are also needed to
    retrofit homes, to build up our water infrastructure and to develop
    heathcare, educational and childcare facilities.

Pharmaceuticals: The Irish state currently gives around €700
    million to companies in order to do research and development
    (R&D). People Before Profit would begin to redirect that money into
    a state-run pharmaceutical industry dedicated to producing generic
    drugs that could be sold below the cost of branded alternatives.

Agriculture: People Before Profit want a new deal for the
    agricultural sector. Farmers should not be ripped off by big
    processors and supermarket chains. We would impose a levy on
    the major supermarkets to be redistributed to small and medium sized enterprises who prioritise nutritious food and environmental
    protection. We should also take the major agri-business food
    processors into public ownership to help change the direction of
    agriculture for an era of climate change.

State-run banks, state sponsored construction, a state run pharma sector (indeed), and a farm sector policy that doles out workers' food money to keep part-time landowners in their hobby. I can't wait to see how it all works out.

• Advertisement

It took us 3 months to fix the mistake they made. 3 months of Level 5. It was an expensive price to pay for meaningful votes.

A mistake yes. A mistake backed by all the major political parties and the general public at the time. To be fair, the differential virulence of new strains wasn't known then.

The subsequent response has worked well. The trajectory on cases and mortality is much better than comparable countries, many of which are heading back into lockdown. Vaccine roll-out ahead of our EU friends also thanks to the diligence of our health workers.

To borrow a well-worn phrase 'I think we all need to reflect on the past'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement