Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,734 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's an opinion piece though.
    And the appointment hasn't been confirmed yet, just not denied.
    It's probably true though.
    But how much do you think this, post should be paid?

Any opinion on the story Bish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Any opinion on the story Bish?

You didn't answer my question I see!
    My opinion is that would seem to be a promotion if true, you'd certainly expect a pay rise with a promotion

You didn't answer my question I see!
    My opinion is that would seem to be a promotion if true, you'd certainly expect a pay rise with a promotion

No intention of answering your deflection. So you agree with it. Ok.

The reality is that he’s more than likely about to be poached by the likes of EY, Deloitte etc, like many other senior servants, and will then be hired back as a consultant for multiples of what he costs as an employee of the State.

That doesn’t suit the permanently outraged though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

No intention of answering your deflection. So you agree with it. Ok.

This, was flagged as far back as January for anyone interested, but yet here we are tonight with outrage because you seen an article.
    I'm OK with it because I don't know how much such a position should be paid.

• Advertisement

The reality is that he’s more than likely about to be poached by the likes of EY, Deloitte etc, like many other senior servants, and will then be hired back as a consultant for multiples of what he costs as an employee of the State.

So you announce his appointment without going through the usual procedures or having a discussion on what his pay should be?

Seems coherent alright for the powerswap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen is increasing her chances of winning the first round of next year’s presidential elections, according to an Ifop-Fiducial poll published by Le Journal du Dimanche.

The National Rally party leader would come first in six out of 10 scenarios in the first round if the ballots were cast this Sunday, the poll showed. She would then be beaten in the second round for the top two candidates, with 46% in a runoff against President Emmanuel Macron’s 54%, it said.

“The results reflect Le Pen’s strong populist dynamic as well as President Emmanuel Macron’s difficulties in the health crisis context,” Frederic Dabi, Ifop’s deputy general director, was cited as saying in Le Journal du Dimanche

Populism having its moment at home and abroad

"The Finnish public broadcasting company reported yesterday that both the Finns Party and National Coalition overtook the Social Democrats, with support for the ruling party falling by to 18.0 per cent in March.

The two right-wing opposition parties, by contrast, saw their popularity increase.

Support for the Social Democrats has now declined for two months. The decrease accelerated last month during the at times heated debate about possible covid-related movement restrictions, with three of the five ruling parties, along with opposition parties, publicly questioning the restrictions advocated by Prime Minister Sanna Marin."

More of the same. Covid fatigue, not policy per se, shaking incumbents in Europe.

STOCKHOLM — Criticism of the Swedish government’s light-touch coronavirus strategy looks like it is starting to stick with voters.

An opinion poll this week showed Prime Minister Stefan Löfven’s Social Democrats lost the top spot at the start of January after the death rate from COVID-19 spiked and recommendations in place to fight the spread of disease were breached by a number of government figures.

During a party leaders’ debate in parliament on Wednesday, Ebba Busch, who heads the opposition Christian Democrats, sought to inflict further damage, saying the government’s strategy — which has seen shops, borders and many schools left open — was flawed from the start.

Swedish government losing support for the decision not to impose tighter covid restrictions. Meanwhile, in Ireland the government apparently loses support for imposing restrictions. Maybe Michael Martin would be on 75% if the Journal polled Swedes!

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen is increasing her chances of winning the first round of next year’s presidential elections, according to an Ifop-Fiducial poll published by Le Journal du Dimanche.

This is beginning to be quite a big problem for French democracy.

Their whole presidential system is predicated on two candidates from large parties getting through a first round of, well, ****, and the population getting to choose between them.

However, they've run into a problem because the FN has broken their system.

It looks like the FN candidate will get into the run-off in 2022, just like they did in 2017 and 2002 (they failed in 2007 and 2012).

Clearly, when an FN/RN candidate is in the runoff, all of the mainstream parties have to support and be seen to support the mainstream candidate. And the fascist candidate never has enough support to win.

That leaves France in a situation where if you reach the runoff, you're guaranteed to win, if you do so in a year where the FN/RN candidate is also in the runoff (three out of the last five).

In 2002, Jacques Chirac won such an election despite getting 19.9% in the first round.

In 2017 Emmanuel Macron won the the election despite gathering 24% in the first round.

It's likely that next year, the winning candidate will garner somewhere in between a fifth and a quarter of the vote in the first round.

Something is going to have to be done to sort this out.

It seems a no-brainer to scrap the run-off system and move to our system of STV votes, or even instant-runoff.

• Advertisement

So you announce his appointment without going through the usual procedures or having a discussion on what his pay should be?

Seems coherent alright for the powerswap.
    Aren't these appointments supposed to be governed by the Top Level appointments committee?

Was TLAC bypassed ? Is Robert Watt still on TLAC which would be bizare,he was in 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So let him be poached, he has already left previously to join another company in the private sector and came back. I am sure he is not the only person who can do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

And the MHQ system has fallen apart already. Capacity exceeded. Poor planning again...to be expected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0413/1209729-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/
    Minister says bookings at mandatory quarantine hotels 'paused'

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The VAT maths on MHQ for the government is interesting here
    13.5% of €1800 times 1300 every 2 weeks at least
    Quite an earner!

And the MHQ system has fallen apart already. Capacity exceeded. Poor planning again...to be expected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0413/1209729-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/

More bluster and faux outrage. Yawn.

More incompetence, more chaos.

https://twitter.com/mattcarthy/status/1382225607388454914

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Heard "Up the Ra" on the radio this morning complaining and whinging about this issue. First thing that came to mind was that if the hotel rooms were lying empty and the government was picking up the tab, he would be first to whinge and complain.

Does he have another mode other than complaining and whinging?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Heard "Up the Ra" on the radio this morning complaining and whinging about this issue. First thing that came to mind was that if the hotel rooms were lying empty and the government was picking up the tab, he would be first to whinge and complain.

Does he have another mode other than complaining and whinging?

And you are usually the first to start complaining and dismiss people when they refer to politicians by derogatory names and now you look at you doing the exact same. Such a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭CarProblem

Floppybits wrote: »
    And you are usually the first to start complaining and dismiss people when they refer to politicians by derogatory names and now you look at you doing the exact same. Such a hypocrite.

Also the obligatory deflection to "the shinners"

Off topic (and just to reiterate I've never voted for SF nor intend to any time soon) are people really shocked that a SF TD may express support for the IRA or is highlighting it just another attempt at deflection and "look over there"?

CarProblem wrote: »
    Also the obligatory deflection to "the shinners"

Off topic (and just to reiterate I've never voted for SF nor intend to any time soon) are people really shocked that a SF TD may express support for the IRA or is highlighting it just another attempt at deflection and "look over there"?

There is no deflection anywhere just calling out the hypocrisy. People on here have been called out for referring to Michael Martin Meehole by certain posters so it is only right when something like this is used by those same people that it should be called out.

My own view is and as much as I don't like politicians of all ilk they should be afforded a bit of respect not matter if you like them or not. Is that too much to ask?

It has nothing what so ever to do with deflection, I don't like Cullinane or Martin for that matter but I will not be lowering myself like some on here to calling them by derogatory names. You might on the other hand see no problem in this but I do and I am calling out as other posters can also do on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no deflection anywhere just calling out the hypocrisy. People on here have been called out for referring to Michael Martin Meehole by certain posters so it is only right when something like this is used by those same people that it should be called out.

My own view is and as much as I don't like politicians of all ilk they should be afforded a bit of respect not matter if you like them or not. Is that too much to ask?

It has nothing what so ever to do with deflection, I don't like Cullinane or Martin for that matter but I will not be lowering myself like some on here to calling them by derogatory names. You might on the other hand see no problem in this but I do and I am calling out as other posters can also do on here.

The reference to "Up the Ra" Cullinane is not derogatory as it is a direct quote of the man's own words, words for which he has not apologised for using. He is revered in Sinn Fein circles for it.

Meehole is not a reference to himself that Martin uses. Leo the Leak is not a reference that the Tanaiste uses. The difference is clear and obvious.

The reference to "Up the Ra" Cullinane is not derogatory as it is a direct quote of the man's own words, words for which he has not apologised for using. He is revered in Sinn Fein circles for it.

Meehole is not a reference to himself that Martin uses. Leo the Leak is not a reference that the Tanaiste uses. The difference is clear and obvious.

Has the man referred to himself as 'Up the RA' Cullinane?

Well, at least we have established that 'Up the Ra' is derogatory.
    Progress of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭CarProblem

While I quoted your post the deflection comment was aimed at Blanch - apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That is such spoof! :D

Leo The Leak trends on Twitter every other week.

So we can only use references that the FFG politicians are comfortable with unless they are SF TDs?

So Leo uttered the phrase 'Not Another Red Cent'. Is that allowed in your nomenclature?

As I said, such two faced spoof.

I don't like Cullinane and his antics after the GE were terrible but that doesn't mean you get to make up the 'rules' or propaganda.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Has the MHQ system really 'fallen apart' though?

It's hit capacity with a 50% increase coming in 4 days and a 100% increase the following week. There was always going to be a surge to beat the deadline of intro of measures anyway.

Exactly how many places should have been pre-booked? 10,000? If there were 10,000 beds reserved then cry would be that the govt is lining the pocket of hotel chains at the taxpayers expense!

650 potentially high risk people having movement limited is good. Adjustments being made to requirement based on vaccine status (which was always going to be a challenge given the lack of a verification process) are prudent. Easy knowing that the criers have never had to manage any large scale process themselves.

550,000 more Pfizer vaccines on the way. Keep calm and let The Grownups do their job

CarProblem wrote: »
    While I quoted your post the deflection comment was aimed at Blanch - apologies

No problem. :)

That is such spoof! :D

Leo The Leak trends on Twitter every other week.

So we can only use references that the FFG politicians are comfortable with unless they are SF TDs?

So Leo uttered the phrase 'Not Another Red Cent'. Is that allowed in your nomenclature?

As I said, such two faced spoof.

I don't like Cullinane and his antics after the GE were terrible but that doesn't mean you get to make up the 'rules' or propaganda.

I wonder if we can use Micheal 'there was no bank bailout' Martin or Michael 'I will not go into coalition with FG' Martin. How about Leo 'Fianna Fáil back into power would be like letting John Delaney run the FAI' Varadkar.

• Advertisement

Well, at least we have established that 'Up the Ra' is derogatory.
    Progress of sorts.

Well it is derogatory to some and not to others kinda like leaking a confidential document to mates is grand for some but not for others then again it would be if it was someone from another party that had done the leaking. Hypocrites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement