Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And that means what.....?

Auld Brendi is on overtime today from FG HQ. Keep up the good work Brendi you will be rewarded someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Floppybits wrote: »
    Auld Brendi is on overtime today from FG HQ. Keep up the good work Brendi you will be rewarded someday.

Soon I hope.

Lookit..... this one is a penalty shoot out.......

Only one winner.

This doesn't make sense. He admits to sharing the information but did nothing wrong.

[URL="Varadkar acknowledges NAGP communications 'not best practice' but rejects wrongdoing https://jrnl.ie/5250661"]Varadkar acknowledges NAGP communications 'not best practice' but rejects wrongdoing https://jrnl.ie/5250661[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This doesn't make sense. He admits to sharing the information but did nothing wrong.

[URL="Varadkar acknowledges NAGP communications 'not best practice' but rejects wrongdoing https://jrnl.ie/5250661"]Varadkar acknowledges NAGP communications 'not best practice' but rejects wrongdoing https://jrnl.ie/5250661[/URL]

If it was 'grossly defamatory' why didn't he get his legal team to squash it when he was asked to comment?

Think Leo might be toast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A government PR disaster every single week. Sometimes twice a week. I cannot keep up, I am jaded from it!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He's only allowed to confirm one of those things it's up to the government and the law to confirm the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

If it was 'grossly defamatory' why didn't he get his legal team to squash it when he was asked to comment?

Think Leo might be toast here.

People really only do that when things are true ?
    Leo is a narcissist,so he will have this planned down to a tee I'd say
    If I'm right,a couple of things will happen, the village will be toast,no paper will repeat the accusations as fact and Vradakar will either sue or let the village stew
    Putting the accusations into a tweet last night and using the headline they did when further down buried a few para's in they only use the word 'may' is where they are in trouble defaming IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nobotty wrote: »
    I do think its a resigning matter if the story has legs and he has broke the law
    When is he making the statement?
    The usual FG heads here are playing it down but others have said they've done that before and were found to be wrong
    I'd have thought they'd be in the know
    Although one of them isn't active today
    Coincidence?

Thats the way these things always go, the FG heads spent the best part of a year defending Maria Bailey before the axe was wielded and then suddenly they didnt defend her anymore. Its deny, deflect, deny, deflect until the guillotine falls and then its begrudgingly accept.

Be interesting to see how this plays out, Leos response has been less than satisfactory and there is likely more to come, he is one of the leakiest politicians out there.

A government PR disaster every single week. Sometimes twice a week. I cannot keep up, I am jaded from it!

Seems to be the default excuse for this government, the communications weren't great, Varadkar throwing it out now and O'Gorman last week and few more the last couple of weeks. What are they paying all these advisors and communication experts for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Seems to be the default excuse for this government, the communications weren't great, Varadkar throwing it out now and O'Gorman last week and few more the last couple of weeks. What are they paying all these advisors and communication experts for?

New Politics is very very expensive! ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »

Could be legal ramifications if true also apparently.

Expand on this please. What legal ramifications?

No excuse for a senior politician like Varadkar to be caught up in something like this. What was he doing giving information to people he knew through back channels. The questions need to be asked now has he done this before? Has he passed confidential information on and most importantly can he be trusted with confidential information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Expand on this please. What legal ramifications?

If the information was privileged. Did you not bother reading? How about chiming in with an opinion rather than the attack other people for mentioning it?
    Not best practice’
    Mr Varadkar said he accepted that the “provision of the agreement by an informal communication channel to the President of the NAGP was not best practice and he regrets that he did not ensure that it was provided in a more appropriately formal manner.

I did nuthin wrong, but....
    Inappropriate behaviour..again?

Cronyism. Might get his pal Woulfe to defend him. Owes him after LV getting him his job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Looks pretty damaging for Leo to me.
    Always out to put his oar in before he should.
    The full details weren't released publicly for a month after the exchange in question today.
    If he isn't toast yet he is certainly warm bread.

Looks pretty damaging for Leo to me.
    Always out to put his oar in before he should.
    The full details weren't released publicly for a month after the exchange in question today.
    If he isn't toast yet he is certainly warm bread.

They should have gone with Coveney like the members wanted. More of a grown up, less of a boob.

Bowie wrote: »
    They should have gone with Coveney like the members wanted. More of a grown up, less of a boob.

Certainly.
    Pressure will mount on Leo now.
    Will FG stand by him if FF and Greens call for his head?
    Will FF and Greens stick with him if they are unhappy with his explanation?
    Will FG want him fighting this if they think he is, damaged?
    Could it be a deal breaker and election calling event.?
    Lots of questions, and much to ponder over the coming short term.
    I can't see FF and Greens trying to defend him and there might well bea good sway aginst him in his own party.
    From what I thought was probably a nothing story this morning, this has certainly turned into a very interesting day and big bad story For Leo and FG.

They will come up with some fudge that will see Varadkar depart but the government will limp on with the 3 parties using Covid and Brexit as an excuse to continue on. Martin will need to go to the opposition and look for their support to continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was he doing giving information to people he knew through back channels. The questions need to be asked now has he done this before? Has he passed confidential information on and most importantly can he be trusted with confidential information?

Dr.Maithu certainly seems to think so "Leo always delivers"
    No excuse for a senior politician like Varadkar to be caught up in something like this.

The Fine Gael habit of inflicting wounds on themselves really is truly remarkable, stupid actions win stupid prizes yet again

Certainly.
    Pressure will mount on Leo now.
    Will FG stand by him if FF and Greens call for his head?
    Will FF and Greens stick with him if they are unhappy with his explanation?
    Will FG want him fighting this if they think he is, damaged?
    Could it be a deal breaker and election calling event.?
    Lots of questions, and much to ponder over the coming short term.
    I can't see FF and Greens trying to defend him and there might well bea good sway aginst him in his own party.
    From what I thought was probably a nothing story this morning, this has certainly turned into a very interesting day and big bad story For Leo and FG.

FG will stand by him.
    Its party rep, not just Leo's and his ego is too big for him to do anything.
    We know FG/FF TD's are for hanging on and only jump when they run out of brass, which takes some time.
    By what he's admitted to, he was engaged in cronyism. The legalities need viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Will he even last the weekend?

Will he even last the weekend?

If he jacks I'll be surprised, but it would be sold as doing whats best for the party despite no wrong doing blah blah blah...
    Which film will he plagiarise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If he jacks I'll be surprised, but it would be sold as doing whats best for the party despite no wrong doing blah blah blah...
    Well if he jumps ship they can't claim we are going to need a bigger boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

He gave a document of which the contents were already public knowledge, to an organisation who had an interest in the contents, without having any beneficial interest in it personally. What did he do that was so wrong that he should resign?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tobsey wrote: »
    He gave a document of which the contents were already public knowledge, to an organisation who had an interest in the contents, without having any beneficial interest in it personally. What did he do that was so wrong that he should resign?

According to Stephen Donnelly and others they weren't in the public realm.

tobsey wrote: »

Even Leo disagrees with you ffs...

I have never seen a government where they have lost 2 ministers and now have another 2 under pressure and one of them is the Taniste. This is like the Cowan government during the crash and this is all of their own making.

I have never seen a government where they have lost 2 ministers and now have another 2 under pressure and one of them is the Taniste. This is like the Cowan government during the crash and this is all of their own making.

And the main opposition haemorrhaging senators, MLAs and part officials over dodgy money at the same time too.
    Could make a very intriguing debate when itcomes up in the Dail I'd say, there could be fireworks.

We're now entering the Leo's Lockdown
    If he had not leaked NPHET recommendation, letting his ego rule the roost, we would be coming out of the originally proposed lockdown today.

The next 4 weeks are on him.

The man has been the most disruptive Tánaiste I've ever seen. Everything he does is calculated to harm the FF side of his own government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We're now entering the Leo's Lockdown
    If he had not leaked NPHET recommendation, letting his ego rule the roost, we would be coming out of the originally proposed lockdown today.

The next 4 weeks are on him.

The man has been the most disruptive Tánaiste I've ever seen. Everything he does is calculated to harm the FF side of his own government.

Have you a link to Leo leaking NHPETs recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement