Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

Ive done so twice

You've ignored it once and dismissed it glibly there

Quite happy to go again with it, let me know.

I'm still ad nauseum am I? You'd consider your own posts in these threads each a pearl of originality, eh?

Forty odd thousand of em, and one topic, one angle for the most part? Nah, I don't think I'll be taking any such feedback on board from that source, no offence, after ten posts where I've actually bothered to make a few different points in this tired longrunning trench war of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ive done so twice

You've ignored it once and dismissed it glibly there

Quite happy to go again with it, let me know.

I'm still ad nauseum am I? You'd consider your own posts in these threads each a pearl of originality, eh?

Forty odd thousand of em, and one topic, one angle for the most part? Nah, I don't think I'll be taking any such feedback on board from that source, no offence, after ten posts where I've actually bothered to make a few different points in this tired longrunning trench war of a thread

I never commented on my own posts. Wouldn't be that arrogant.

You have no example of an Irish opposition party, that's fine. I am not bothered to look up a UK party and compare and contrast it. Not familiar with either the context or the detail.

Funny that you won't or can't do it in the context of the place you are criticising - Ireland.

It took four of ye all day to come up with that?!

Poor opposition indeed!

I recommend the manifesto nonetheless, a very fine example of a plan for governing from a left opposition. If you insist SF has no need for any such reference document.....it says plenty imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ye

(Yes, "ye")

Have been invited to demonstrate where the shinners down south have provided anything other than the merest fig-leaf of rote criticism without even the semblance of offering understanding or alternative

The principle of opposition for opposition's sake has been critiqued and found wanting

It's been pointed out that they cannot even be bothered to pretend any issue they can find at all is less than a world-ending, govt-toppling crisis

So when this is pointed out and ye cannot even bear to pull out of the cycle to pretend to even acknowledge the points made, its rich indeed to hear ye lament that the response to lazy SF efforts here will be lazy slings about SF performance elsewhere

After all, wtf else have SF provided? Nothing of substance in opposition here, with the platform and resources available.

It's natural enough imo that Shinners throwing brickbats so lazily should have those efforts treated with likewise handwaving.

If ye want people to work harder engaging ye perhaps look upon your own tired efforts first.

I criticised FG's online tripe and how they refuse to tackle their own issues when put to the, opting instead to talk about SF. That was my comment.
    You responded asking for policy alternatives, specifically relating to Sinn Fein. Case proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

i. If I allow anyone in these threads to accuse me of repeating a point ad nauseum, it won't be one of the four tagteamers, buck. Ye have Irish political threads rendered absolutely useless- the cheek of you tbh!

ii. I offered corbyns manifesto the election as exactly that a few posts back. It was one of the posts ye ignored in order to copy and paste this week's attack points out for the fortieth time

Maybe discus the FF/FG/Green government and defend or agree with any criticism? Might improve your fortunes.

• Advertisement

Poor opposition indeed!

I recommend the manifesto nonetheless, a very fine example of a plan for governing from a left opposition. If you insist SF has no need for any such reference document.....it says plenty imo.

You display a deeper and deeper arrogance. It didn't take me 'all day' to come up with it. I read your ad nauseum post and in a couple of posts showed that you have no Irish examples of a better opposition.

There is more to opposition than 'manifestoes' that are rejected by the electorate BTW.

Off to bed now. Take it un-arrogantly snoop, it's unbecoming to read somebody praising themselves.

Oof I'll try not to take it personally, it's all work to ye lads after all. Night chaps, hope it's not too busy a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bowie wrote: »
    Maybe discus the FF/FG/Green government and defend or agree with any criticism? Might improve your fortunes.

There's loads of criticisms, any govt will have criticisms because none is perfect or even half perhaps.
    But lads like your good self never see anything else but the critical and that's not a good thing.
    Just political boxing of everything that's wrong.
    But the country goes on and the people in it are getting by because while you're busy being negative about everything, most ordinary people are going about their business and the govt is creating conditions that allow this to happen.
    Do you ever have a happy thought or just spend a day where you say everything is good in my world, or is the weight of the oppressed world for ever on your mind?

Poor opposition indeed!

Oof I'll try not to take it personally, it's all work to ye lads after all. Night chaps, hope it's not too busy a shift.
    You complain and complain about the quality of the debate here, somebody engages with you, and asks you to give Irish examples of what you are talking about and you insist on pointing to the manifesto of a failed UK political party devised by a leader who was kicked out of his deeply divided and paralysed party? When it is explained to you that that isn't a relevant comparison you revert to conspiracy theories about posters and engage in some invective, you, that bemoaned the 'quality of the debate' here???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    I criticised FG's online tripe and how they refuse to tackle their own issues when put to the, opting instead to talk about SF. That was my comment.
    You responded asking for policy alternatives, specifically relating to Sinn Fein. Case proven.

That is your only comment ever.

FG something is bad (and Leo too).

Rinse and repeat.

As snoopsheep states, never any attempt to suggest a policy alternative. Your criticisms are personality and PR driven, criticising people and the way they present themselves, without any analysis of policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is your only comment ever.

FG something is bad (and Leo too).

Rinse and repeat.

As snoopsheep states, never any attempt to suggest a policy alternative. Your criticisms are personality and PR driven, criticising people and the way they present themselves, without any analysis of policy.

But FG have been awful that's the problem. Do you want a list of all the things that are wrong from the homelessness, health, housing and the Children's hospital and they are just the main things. FG came into government in 2011 on a campaign of cleaning up how things were done and they have been worse, infact under Varadkar things have got worse. Maybe the Enda Kenny cabinet were a bit more savvy than what we have seen since Varadkar has taken over. Remember the slogan of ending people of Trolleys, getting rid of quango's that disappeared quickly. The likes of Regina Doherty, Eoghan Murphy, Darragh Murphy, Josepha Madigan, Simon Harris and Maria Bailey to name but a few would turn you off the party. In saying that both Donahue and Coveney are probably the best in FG.

FG now remind me of FF when they got their 3 terms in office, they look worn out and devoid of ideas.

As for this government I said before it was formed that FF were not ready for government because they didn't have the talent in the party and we have seen this from the get go. They need to get more talent into the party because what is there is not good enough.

You complain and complain about the quality of the debate here, somebody engages with you, and asks you to give Irish examples of what you are talking about and you insist on pointing to the manifesto of a failed UK political party devised by a leader who was kicked out of his deeply divided and paralysed party? When it is explained to you that that isn't a relevant comparison you revert to conspiracy theories about posters and engage in some invective, you, that bemoaned the 'quality of the debate' here???

Francie, a mhic

Nobody engaged. That's the point.

You yourself, while dismissing the very requirement you asked for three times above in one-liners, failed in any way to step away from the very behaviour besides that has the threads wrecked.

You also rather bizarrely decided it was arrogant for anyone to bemoan such low standards over several years such as these threads have become (by the doing of SF posters, and I stand by that)

Yet it apparently is not at all arrogant for those same posters to ignore any genuine points raised, dismiss fair posts with one-liners (and come up with the reasons later- had ye to go google Corbyn huh?), repeat themselves ~ad nauseum~ in the most peurile attack mode, all the while pulling around themselves the cloak of self-righteousness as if they were actually contributing a jot and anyone daring to clap back at them is some upstart encroaching?

Ah lookit- it's true to say I am repeating myself

How could I do otherwise. Yiz neither even tried to engage with fair posts nor did ye change your dismal tack even a degree. The two main criticisms I have, which won't change because ye have yr strategy.

Look at the reasons ye have come up with so as not to even consider that an opposition could do other than what SF have provided? "That's not Ireland! He didn't win? Never heard of him!"

Infantile stuff, and then to throw the strop when told so. Further infantile again tbh.

Anyway that manifesto should be available online fyi, I still recommend it as a good example of what you keep demanding

I'll dig up a link, let me know.

In the meantime it's four of ye and blanch in here, all day every day, practicing the art of non-debate, while the rest of the site leaves it to ye. No doubt you'll clutch pearls again if anyone asked you whether the likes of your last few posts contribute to that?

Francie, a mhic

Nobody engaged. That's the point.

You yourself, while dismissing the very requirement you asked for three times above in one-liners, failed in any way to step away from the very behaviour besides that has the threads wrecked.

You also rather bizarrely decided it was arrogant for anyone to bemoan such low standards over several years such as these threads have become (by the doing of SF posters, and I stand by that)

Yet it apparently is not at all arrogant for those same posters to ignore any genuine points raised, dismiss fair posts with one-liners (and come up with the reasons later- had ye to go google Corbyn huh?), repeat themselves ~ad nauseum~ in the most peurile attack mode, all the while pulling around themselves the cloak of self-righteousness as if they were actually contributing a jot and anyone daring to clap back at them is some upstart encroaching?

Ah lookit- it's true to say I am repeating myself

How could I do otherwise. Yiz neither even tried to engage with fair posts nor did ye change your dismal tack even a degree. The two main criticisms I have, which won't change because ye have yr strategy.

Look at the reasons ye have come up with so as not to even consider that an opposition could do other than what SF have provided? "That's not Ireland! He didn't win? Never heard of him!"

Infantile stuff, and then to throw the strop when told so. Further infantile again tbh.

Anyway that manifesto should be available online fyi, I still recommend it as a good example of what you keep demanding

I'll dig up a link, let me know.

In the meantime it's four of ye and blanch in here, all day every day, practicing the art of non-debate, while the rest of the site leaves it to ye. No doubt you'll clutch pearls again if anyone asked you whether the likes of your last few posts contribute to that?

I responded to this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115340913&postcount=2518

I asked you to provide examples of an opposition here that, in your view, behaved properly and achieved the things you say the current opposition have failed to achieve.

You directed me to a 'manifesto' of a UK party.

When I rejected that on the basis that I did, and asked again for a relevant example and pointed out that a 'manifesto' is not all that an 'opposition' is or does, you again declined and launched into conspiracy theories and criticism of the faults in the debate here and some demeaning invective about me and other posters.

Floppybits wrote: »
    But FG have been awful that's the problem. Do you want a list of all the things that are wrong from the homelessness, health, housing and the Children's hospital and they are just the main things. FG came into government in 2011 on a campaign of cleaning up how things were done and they have been worse, infact under Varadkar things have got worse. Maybe the Enda Kenny cabinet were a bit more savvy than what we have seen since Varadkar has taken over. Remember the slogan of ending people of Trolleys, getting rid of quango's that disappeared quickly. The likes of Regina Doherty, Eoghan Murphy, Darragh Murphy, Josepha Madigan, Simon Harris and Maria Bailey to name but a few would turn you off the party. In saying that both Donahue and Coveney are probably the best in FG.

FG now remind me of FF when they got their 3 terms in office, they look worn out and devoid of ideas.

As for this government I said before it was formed that FF were not ready for government because they didn't have the talent in the party and we have seen this from the get go. They need to get more talent into the party because what is there is not good enough.

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/latest-figures-homelessness-ireland/?ads_cmpid=1424195017&ads_adid=56260658552&ads_matchtype=b&ads_network=g&ads_creative=274049007096&utm_term=%2Bhow%20%2Bmany%20%2Bpeople%20%2Bare%20%2Bhomeless&ads_targetid=kwd-311389765417&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0dytjLChjnm1kPjGnN-5pJ3Z-ZY5t8aTtYW-F8rLLQoOVOnHs2w3jzxoCv9sQAvD_BwE

Homelessness: Even the homelessness industry have admitted that the numbers are going down.

Health: When the crunch of corona hit, we did better than the much vaulted (by some political parties) NHS

Housing: More being built despite Covid, and more on way.

That leaves you with one capital project for which there is a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This is the issue.

FG swept in under Kenny on a protest vote with promises of new politics and reform and yada yada yada.
    I didn't vote for them but I wasn't unhappy to see them slapping FF at the polls and was more than willing to give them the benefit.

That goodwill has been utterly destroyed. We did not get new politics. We did not get reform - what we did get was same old yada yada.
    FG's recent GE performance demonstrates that a sizeable section of the electorate is equally disenchanted with their schtick.

Brexit gave them an opportunity - and yes, they did very bloody good standing firm. Albeit with the E.U. getting their back.

Covid gave them a gold plated opportunity to reclaim lost voters. At first it seemed as if they were 'playing a blinder' but as the death toll rose in Nursing homes, as promises went unfulfilled, as they caved to vested interests and opened/closed parts of the economy based on who knows what advice (medical? Beef barons?) - and now we have more #gates then a fencing company.

All FG have in their arsenal is attack - attack SF as once they attacked FF. The big issue here is that the attack FF tactic was successful as FF had actually wrecked the country.

SF 'might' wreck the country doesn't play with the audience when it sees you in partnership with the proven wreckers and is watching scandal after scandal and spiraling costs of infrastructure which has zero to do with SF and everything to do with FG.

FG are giving SF the ammunition (cue the usual cringe ****e about gunmen like Micheal Collins wasn't a gunman himself :rolleyes:) just like all those years ago FF did likewise for FG.
    What FG have failed to understand is the protest vote that carried them in is now SF's to exploit - as FG did themselves. Attacking SF when you are the one calling the shots feeds that protest vote.

FG and FF are utterly devoid of ideas. Kenny made the big promises and nothing changed. FG have nothing left to promise but 'more of the same' and it's obvious enough people don't want that to be a serious issue. FF are a busted flush. Devoid of ideas, devoid of talent (bar McGuinness and maaaybe O'Callaghan/McGrath), devoid of credibility, devoid of leadership. The Greens went to the electorate with ideas - they advocated changes, and people listened. Now they are hemorrhaging members and shown themselves to de devoid of ethics when it coms to standing by the principles they put before the voters.

I won't be voting for SF, but I won't be upset if they get swept in on a protest vote and if they turn out to be same old yada yada yada I will be just as critical of them as I am of FG/FF.

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/latest-figures-homelessness-ireland/?ads_cmpid=1424195017&ads_adid=56260658552&ads_matchtype=b&ads_network=g&ads_creative=274049007096&utm_term=%2Bhow%20%2Bmany%20%2Bpeople%20%2Bare%20%2Bhomeless&ads_targetid=kwd-311389765417&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0dytjLChjnm1kPjGnN-5pJ3Z-ZY5t8aTtYW-F8rLLQoOVOnHs2w3jzxoCv9sQAvD_BwE

Homelessness: Even the homelessness industry have admitted that the numbers are going down.

Health: When the crunch of corona hit, we did better than the much vaulted (by some political parties) NHS

Where is the proof that homelessness is going down, is that just counting the people on the streets and not all those living in hotels and B&B or is it that they are just scooping them up in JCB's to clear them out of the way. As they say out of sight out of mind.

Is it affordable housing or more of the same?

Health was a disaster prior to covid and was the cause of Varadkar going for an election earlier than he wanted.

They have been a disaster. Everything they have touched as turned to crap and that is not even mentioning the Rural Broadband. There is another crap show.

Where is the proof that homelessness is going down, is that just counting the people on the streets and not all those living in hotels and B&B or is it that they are just scooping them up in JCB's to clear them out of the way. As they say out of sight out of mind.

It's in the link, graphs and all.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This is the issue.

Couldn't agree more on nearly all of that. The only thing I disagree with is McGuinness. As far as I am concerned he is just a mouthpiece when push comes to shove he will support the government.

It's in the link, graphs and all.

Have you an independent source for the figures. I would prefer to see the figures from outside of government controlled department. We all know how government departments like to massage figures.

Couldn't agree more on nearly all of that. The only thing I disagree with is McGuinness. As far as I am concerned he is just a mouthpiece when push comes to shove he will support the government.

When push comes to shove they all tend to don't they?
    Which is why I vote Soc Dem as Shortall walked away from govt when she couldn't tolerate the stench of FG's way of doing politics.

It does amuse me how people criticise the SDs for 'sitting on the fence' which just shows how utterly they misunderstand why people vote for them - not doing a Labour/Green (spouting nonsense about 'National interest' while taking the FF and/or FG shilling) was the wisest political move they made. A manifest demonstration that their entry into govt is not based on business as usual and feck what you 'promised' the people who voted for you.

Now that is a change in Irish politics.

• Advertisement

Have you an independent source for the figures. I would prefer to see the figures from outside of government controlled department. We all know how government departments like to massage figures.

It is Focus Ireland who are reporting the figures!!!!

Their interest is in increasing homelessness to maintain their financing, and even they are reporting a downward trend!!!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    When push comes to shove they all tend to don't they?
    Which is why I vote Soc Dem as Shortall walked away from govt when she couldn't tolerate the stench of FG's way of doing politics.

It does amuse me how people criticise the SDs for 'sitting on the fence' which just shows how utterly they misunderstand why people vote for them - not doing a Labour/Green (spouting nonsense about 'National interest' while taking the FF and/or FG shilling) was the wisest political move they made. A manifest demonstration that their entry into govt is not based on business as usual and feck what you 'promised' the people who voted for you.

Now that is a change in Irish politics.

Exactly the same. Shortall showed courage when she walked away from what was going on and for that she earned my respect and alot of others. I was also delighted when Donnelly left the Soc Dems, I bet they are breathing a sigh of relief now after seeing his performances as of late.

I would give the Soc Dem's my highest preference vote but they are not in my area. If they could grow the party more they could become a very real option for people. It is tough to put a number down beside a FF, FG, SF or LAB candidate.

If you look closely my friend the source is Department of Housing, Planning, Community & Local Government, it is under the first chart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Excellent news, hopefully the homeless issue can be resolved as best it can. I think we will find no matter how many houses the government will build it will not resolve the issue totally. Some people will always want a house in a certain location and will not take up any option till they get it

If you look closely my friend the source is Department of Housing, Planning, Community & Local Government, it is under the first chart.

Yes, but endorsed by Focus Ireland.

If their figures showed something different, they would be quick to footnote.

Excellent news, hopefully the homeless issue can be resolved as best it can. I think we will find no matter how many houses the government will build it will not resolve the issue totally. Some people will always want a house in a certain location and will not take up any option till they get it

Homelessness never goes away, every country has it.

However, the incidence in Ireland is trending in a positive direction and it is time we actually started to benchmark our performance internationally to get a sense of where we stand.

The second thing needed is a value for money examination of the poverty industry.

You really want to call that a success, using the figures you supplied in July 2014 and I believe FG were in government then the homeless figure was just over 2500 (2509 to be exact) and now it is 8656 and you are calling that a success. So in the time FG that have been in power Homelessness has increased and you are calling a fall of just 2000 a success. How about filling us in on why FG let the figures get so bad in the first place?

I will give you my answer they neglected the poorer sections in our society from 2014 up till now. 6 years they have ignored those people and you are gloating about it. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

You really want to call that a success, using the figures you supplied in July 2014 and I believe FG were in government then the homeless figure was just over 2500 (2509 to be exact) and now it is 8656 and you are calling that a success. So in the time FG that have been in power Homelessness has increased and you are calling a fall of just 2000 a success. How about filling us in on why FG let the figures get so bad in the first place?

I will give you my answer they neglected the poorer sections in our society from 2014 up till now. 6 years they have ignored those people and you are gloating about it. Disgusting.

Anything going downwards is a success is it not? or do you have a magic wand to wave and get rid of homelessness over night? if you do could I borrow it?

It is tough to put a number down beside a FF, FG, SF or LAB candidate.

Many years ago I was faced with the option of Thatcher's Tories, Kinnock's New Labour, or the Liberals. I ended up voting for the Communist candidate as I knew he hadn't a snowballs chance of getting in but thought maybe he could keep his deposit.

• Advertisement

Anything going downwards is a success is it not? or do you have a magic wand to wave and get rid of homelessness over night? if you do could I borrow it?

Not when it was let get out of control. As I said in 2014 the homeless figure was 2500 and now it is 8656, I wouldn't really call that a success now would you especially when the same party has been in government for all of that period. They let it get out of control because they don't give a crap about the less well off. It is only that the issue go so bad that they were embarrassed into doing something about it and you claim success. Absolutely disgusting and embarrassing. I tell you what success is for starters it would be not letting the numbers get that bad and secondly it would be having less that 2500 people in homelessness that is success, not a drop of 2000 after years of growth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement