Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

And FF/FG/Greens will have a list longer of all the SF stories. :p
    As we got confirmed some people on here dont care what SF do because they won't criticise. Not the case for me. The government have made loads of mistakes but to be honest the opposition are coming right up behind them.

Golfgate will be a joke in two years, lads on the beer, what won't be a joke is the death rate in the North because of SF.
    I know you are a SF supporter so you want to ignore it but unfortuneatly for SF it is the top story at the moment. Every single person is talking about it. A few lads sneaking off for some golf and a few beers! well we all want to do that don't we?

People dying will stay with people a lot longer.

P.S. the tent, :p, same old rubbish from opposition. Why not throw in Denis O'Brien while you are at. Rehash the same story.

The childrens hospital is the current government biggest problem and its a monster

Oh dear but you are tiresome. I am not a SF supporter - you already know that but your debating skills are limited to one response. I am not sure you really understood my post, I only read a few lines of yours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Oh dear but you are tiresome. I am not a SF supporter - you already know that but your debating skills are limited to one response. I am not sure you really understood my post, I only read a few lines of yours.

That tit for tat atmosphere is fostered in online media largely and amongst journalists and is especially amplified here because each side are (deliberately) exposing themselves to views they hate
    Thats the point I was making earlier
    Views are much more diluted in the real world where people aren't focused on tit for tat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nobotty wrote: »
    That tit for tat atmosphere is fostered in online media largely and amongst journalists and is especially amplified here because each side are (deliberately) exposing themselves to views they hate
    Views are much more diluted in the real world where people aren't focused on tit for tat

With respect, while I agree that there tends to be a hot house environment on social media, I have to say that "in here" when it comes to any thread on govt parties it is not "both sides" - it is very much a pro-govt faction that screams whatabout SF at any hint of criticism and attempts to dismiss anyone who calls govt actions into question as an SF supporter.

Now - the fact is that SF supporters have as much right as FG supporters to state their opinion but more to the point there are posters here who have stated time and again that they are not SF supporters but still the same childish tactics persist.

Would that people were adults and stated their political affiliations honestly so we would know who we are dealing with but instead it's like a bloody playground in here sometimes - and it's govt supporters who are the vast majority of the toys out of the pram flingers.

*Disclosure - last GE I voted #1 Mick Barry (PBP), #2 Sinéad Halpin (SDs) #3 Oliver Moran (Greens).

I did not give a preference to SF/FG/FF/LP/WP - next time I will not vote for the Greens so they can be added to that list going forward.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    With respect, while I agree that there tends to be a hot house environment on social media, I have to say that "in here" when it comes to any thread on govt parties it is not "both sides" - it is very much a pro-govt faction that screams whatabout SF at any hint of criticism and attempts to dismiss anyone who calls govt actions into question as an SF supporter.

Now - the fact is that SF supporters have as much right as FG supporters to state their opinion but more to the point there are posters here who have stated time and again that they are not SF supporters but still the same childish tactics persist.

Would that people were adults and stated their political affiliations honestly so we would know who we are dealing with but instead it's like a bloody playground in here sometimes - and it's govt supporters who are the vast majority of the toys out of the pram flingers.

*Disclosure - last GE I voted #1 Mick Barry (PBP), #2 Sinéad Halpin (SDs) #3 Oliver Moran (Greens).

I did not give a preference to SF/FG/FF/LP/WP - next time I will not vote for the Greens so they can be added to that list going forward.

With all due respect Bann,SF or anti government posters give as good as they get and take their turn presenting something that rises the other side
    Theres plenty examples here
    I'm not here to be a party pooper
    People are here sounding off their (objectionable to others) views on a sounding board
    How many regular posters here have ever been turned by the other side?
    None
    QED
    Thats just a reflection and its in my opinion too
    I wouldn't want to change it but the posts I responded to made me think of bringing it up as a point of information, that's all

With all due respect Bann,SF or anti government posters

See, that there is the issue - conflating support for SF with anyone who is being 'anti' govt. It is possible to be 'anti' govt and 'anti' SF which is what gets lost in the white noise being generated by the whatabouts.

Furthermore 'anti' is attached to any criticism no matter how justified which is a dishonest tactic imo.

My Mother has been a life long FF voter, MM is her TD - I'm afraid to even mention the govt to her so virulent is her criticism - is she 'anti'? Is she an SF 'supporter'? No - she is a elector who is disillusioned with how the party she voted for is behaving while in Govt.
    My late father (died last year) was the same but for him it was FG - Coveney used to hide when he would see my Dad coming for fear of the public tongue lashing. (yes, my parents lived in different constituencies in case someone thinks they have spotted a 'gotcha' moment)

Neither could be described as SF supporters, although my Mother swears if she lives to see the next election she just might vote for them as they can't be worse than the 'current shower of gobdaws and sleeveens'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Looks like they are going to hang the current AG to save McEntee, Hackett claiming the AG didn't show MM the alternate judges list on The Week in Politics.
    Also free dinner Naughten claiming Covid cases could be false positives and shouldn't be reported, Fish supper from IBEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

More than welcome not to read my posts. Not sure why you need to quote my posts if you didn't read it.
    P.S. the old "Im not a SF supporter" doesn't really hold water

See, that there is the issue - conflating support for SF with anyone who is being 'anti' govt. It is possible to be 'anti' govt and 'anti' SF which is what gets lost in the white noise being generated by the whatabouts.

Furthermore 'anti' is attached to any criticism no matter how justified which is a dishonest tactic imo.

My Mother has been a life long FF voter, MM is her TD - I'm afraid to even mention the govt to her so virulent is her criticism - is she 'anti'? Is she an SF 'supporter'? No - she is a elector who is disillusioned with how the party she voted for is behaving while in Govt.
    My late father (died last year) was the same but for him it was FG - Coveney used to hide when he would see my Dad coming for fear of the public tongue lashing. (yes, my parents lived in different constituencies in case someone thinks they have spotted a 'gotcha' moment)

Neither could be described as SF supporters, although my Mother swears if she lives to see the next election she just might vote for them as they can't be worse than the 'current shower of gobdaws and sleeveens'.

But that is not what is on this forum. I am critical of all parties. Yet we have a certain number of posters who are critical of FF/FG/etc but you CANNOT say anything bad about SF. This is not the normal in life. I have never met a supporter of any party that doesn't turn around and say XYZ is something wrong in the party.

You have posts about politicial capital and political gain? something a bit strange going on
    As you say the current shower in government are not great but in reality what I have seen from SF in opposition I am thankful they are not in power and just look at the carry on in North. SF would prefer to spend time releasing a stupid document about a unified Ireland instead of trying to stop people dying because of covid while they bicker with the DUP

But that is not what is on this forum. I am critical of all parties. Yet we have a certain number of posters who are critical of FF/FG/etc but you CANNOT say anything bad about SF. This is not the normal in life. I have never met a supporter of any party that doesn't turn around and say XYZ is something wrong in the party.

You have posts about politicial capital and political gain? something a bit strange going on
    As you say the current shower in government are not great but in reality what I have seen from SF in opposition I am thankful they are not in power and just look at the carry on in North. SF would prefer to spend time releasing a stupid document about a unified Ireland instead of trying to stop people dying because of covid while they bicker with the DUP

I do wonder about you tbh, you are free with your comments but seem to be lacking in actual knowledge which makes me question your purpose in posting here.

To add to your obvious lack of familiarity with the history of housing policy in the Irish republic you are now seeking to compare the actions of a political party involved in a power sharing devolved administration (not technically a govt as they do not have sovereignty plus 'enjoy' limited powers) who are very much constrained by the the terms of the GFA with a sovereign parliament 'ruled' by a govt composed of the very two parties (using same mudguard as when the economy was driven off a cliff) who have shared power between them since the formation of the State.
    That is not in anyway a defense of 'the current shower' as you unbiasedly termed them, that is an acknowledgement that there are two vastly different dynamics at play between the 2 jurisdictions.
    Apples and pineapples no?

The 'current shower' we have down here issued a video of a minister making scones the size of bricks as a vote of NC was being scheduled and covid cases were rising.

Do you really want to die on the Hill of appropriate messaging issuing from a party in power?

I'm not conflating them though,I'm just using handier language than say having to longwindedly add a sentence describing everyone's core differences with the government
    Its especially unnecessary when opposition to the government here IS one side and the usual other suspects are the rest

When was the last time you or I supported a government policy here ?
    So its reasonable to group into pro and anti government here
    There are not many policies I fundamentally disagree with SF on eg the apple tax but so would Labour and a lot of anti government t.d's
    I think pbp are anarchists, though a bit less than Rise,so I'd be slow to vote for them
    I like Pringle and would transfer to SF,if anyones asking,usually to padraig before pearse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You think that's the main part here. Someone who has clearly shown your opinion is biased. As I posted on Friday Leo is laughing at SF, they haven't got a finger on him and the recent no confidence actually backfired on SF.

In my eyes very poor from the opposition.
    None of the parties are fit for government but if I had to choose the current are doign better than SF would based on the mess they have made of Northern Ireland, not just now with Covid but everything they have done, or not done, since the GFA

If by biased you mean opinion drawn on the actions of FF/FG.
    LV's reputation is forever tarnished. It will be if voters don't care about it or not, not that they aren't aware. We've the cross party opposition to credit for that.

You post this from time to time. Again I ask you, look at who is speaking on specific current issues and who is seeking to divert.
    Woulfe in the news again today by the way.

Looks like they are going to hang the current AG to save McEntee, Hackett claiming the AG didn't show MM the alternate judges list on The Week in Politics.
    Also free dinner Naughten claiming Covid cases could be false positives and shouldn't be reported, Fish supper from IBEC?

This is the sad, (albeit witty) scenario we find ourselves. Its getting like the Bertie era. I had expected better from FG..back in 2011. Its not enough to get in, the public want an end to the chancery. Were Kenny failed to take advantage of the historic opportunity of a clean slate, FG have missed the boat on looking like 'the law and order party'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bowie wrote: »
    This is the sad, (albeit witty) scenario we find ourselves. Its getting like the Bertie era. I had expected better from FG..back in 2011. Its not enough to get in, the public want an end to the chancery. Were Kenny failed to take advantage of the historic opportunity of a clean slate, FG have missed the boat on looking like 'the law and order party'.

A lot of us were disappointed with FG when the got in in 2011. They had a chance there to really effect change, they said all the right things and seemed to be above the carry on of FF but it seemed as soon as the IMF was gone it was right lads let's out do FF now at their own carry on and it has just got worse under Varadkar. I do wonder would it be the same under Coveney? I do like Coveney he seems to have a bit more substance to him than Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bowie wrote: »
    You post this from time to time. Again I ask you, look at who is speaking on specific current issues and who is seeking to divert.
    Woulfe in the news again today by the way.

Good opinion piece by Justine McCarthy, in this morning's Times, in a nutshell if McEntee/ FG did a Caligula and nominated a horse to the Supreme Court would MM stand over the separation of powers.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Good opinion piece by Justin McCarthy, in this morning's Times, in a nutshell if McEntee/ FG did a Caligula and nominated a horse to the Supreme Court would MM stand over the separation of powers.

Probably
    But remember we're only talking about this appointment because of covid
    No other reason

Probably
    No other reason

Does that mean it gets a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Probably
    No other reason

That's not something to be proud of either - what looks very much like naked cronyism got exposed by a pandemic.

Who will ultimately fall over this now, as there's been so many dragged into it, Leo, Helen, Charlie, Woulfe himself and the current AG.

Sweepstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    That's not something to be proud of either - what looks very much like naked cronyism got exposed by a pandemic.

Who will ultimately fall over this now, as there's been so many dragged into it, Leo, Helen, Charlie, Woulfe himself and the current AG.

Sweepstake?

Even better.... will big Lollypop Head come under pressure from the Northern rozzers.... othing definite ... but rumors there...

Clock ticking....

Even better.... will big Lollypop Head come under pressure from the Northern rozzers.... othing definite ... but rumors there...

Clock ticking....

They have had almost six months Brenner, I'd not hold my breath on anything happening on that one chum. Of course you can if you like, but personally I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    They have had almost six months Brenner, I'd not hold my breath on anything happening on that one chum. Of course you can if you like, but personally I wouldn't.

Hmmm.... coming to a head, Randall, I would suggest that the rozzers up there won’t hold back.Getting the quack quacks in a row, do you understand...

Lot of white shirt volunteers beginning to shake a bit, I’m told.

Checking the deposit accounts:cool:

Hmmm.... coming to a head, Randall, I would suggest that the rozzers up there won’t hold back.Getting the quack quacks in a row, do you understand...

Lot of white shirt volunteers beginning to shake a bit, I’m told.

Checking the deposit accounts:cool:

I'll remind you of this post in June 21 shall I. :D

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Does that mean it gets a free pass?

No it doesn't
    But will we be asking for Miriam o'Callaghan,McCullough,Dobbo etc to step down from RTÉ too or are some animals more equal than others as Mr Orwell would say

I 100% agree on the clarity needed on the Woulfe appointment and at this stage any other appointment process that isn't fully transparent
    Ross was certainly onto something there long before it was popular, if its a cleaner than clean system we want

No it doesn't
    But will we be asking for Miriam o'Callaghan,McCullough,Dobbo etc to step down from RTÉ too or are some animals more equal than others as Mr Orwell would say

I 100% agree on the clarity needed on the Woulfe appointment and at this stage any other appointment process that isn't fully transparent
    Ross was certainly onto something there long before it was popular, if its a cleaner than clean system we want

No problem with any of them walking the plank either. Those three are only too eager to point the fingers at others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The Greens have not painted themselves well at all at all. Imagine admitting to having no political backbone at all over something as insignificant as greyhounds. The reputational damage to the government parties over the last few months is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is confusing to me are FF now proudly bragging about getting rid of something they initially voting down that Eoin O'Broin of SF put forward?

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/1330882402168745984?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    This is confusing to me are FF now proudly bragging about getting rid of something they initially voting down that Eoin O'Broin of SF put forward?

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/1330882402168745984?s=19

Certainly looks like it.

Fair play to the government with this announcement. I wasn't very happy with FG introducing this and sense has finally come to the fore and FF have made the change.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/housing-minister-darragh-obrien-has-effectively-banned-co-living-dwellings-slammed-as-21st-century-bedsits-39779612.html

Great to see politicians and the government doing it's job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think I need to see a doctor but I just agreed with Regina Doherty. I feel dirty now.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the government with this announcement. I wasn't very happy with FG introducing this and sense has finally come to the fore and FF have made the change.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/housing-minister-darragh-obrien-has-effectively-banned-co-living-dwellings-slammed-as-21st-century-bedsits-39779612.html

Great to see politicians and the government doing it's job

Find yourself agreeing with Sinn Fein policy? Ouch.
    That's how they get ya :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement