Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

joeguevara wrote: »
    There is a process for answering questions in the Dail. If the opposition parties dont follow that process, that is their issue, and not the Justice Minister.

The last bastion of a failed government hiding behind procedures. There was no issue with Fitzgerald coming into the Dail and answering questions on Maire Whelans appointment in 2017. What are the government afraid of? Is that the Minister McEntee can't think on her feet and needs to have prepared answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Floppybits wrote: »
    The last bastion of a failed government hiding behind procedures. There was no issue with Fitzgerald coming into the Dail and answering questions on Maire Whelans appointment in 2017. What are the government afraid of? Is that the Minister McEntee can't think on her feet and needs to have prepared answers.

If you cant follow procedures and don't know how to, shouldn't be in the Dail. Apologies if opposition representatives don't know how to do their job.

Bowie wrote: »
    I'm suggesting FG will continue in the manner we have become accustomed to if left unchecked. Your response is irrational.

Again, back to the main comment. Nice to see FF taking good housing tips from the shinners. No matter who implements such things, if it's good for society bring it on.
    Hopefully it's a ban, but knowing FF, it'll be likely jiggered in some manner makes the most money for pals.

Not only are they taking on good housing tips from the opposition don't forget about Brendan Howlins image based abuse bill as well. They are out of ideas now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I have to admit Alan Kelly was great talking in the Dail about McEntee to MM. He was on point and correct. Pointing out MM was smirking brings it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have to admit Alan Kelly was great talking in the Dail about McEntee to MM. He was on point and correct. Pointing out MM was smirking brings it home.

Opposition playing a blinder on backing government in to the accountability corner.
    Political analyst on RTE there reckoning that the next move may be the opposition walking out.

Seems to me that it is warranted after the Leak affair and now this. Government completely out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Went ‘top note’ very quickly.

Thought it was Ryan when I tuned in.

All the opposition leaders slaughtered Martin today. Martin doesn't have a leg to stand on after he demanded that Fitzgerald come into the Dail and answer question Marie Whelan in 2017. He knows it. Kelly is correct in saying it is setting a dangerous precedent with not having the minister to come in answer the questions. I don't see why the government are doing this, if everything was above board then surely the Minister is capable of answering questions.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between having Fitzgerald come in and answer questions about Marie Whelans appointment in 2017 and today's situation with McEntee coming in to answer questions on Woulfe appointment in 2020?

Opposition playing a blinder on backing government in to the accountability corner.
    Political analyst on RTE there reckoning that the next move may be the opposition walking out.

Seems to me that it is warranted after the Leak affair and now this. Government completely out of order.

Let them walk out, isn’t that the Shinner tactic in Westminster.

Afraid to stand up and do something.

Anything but debate the issue.

Afraid to stand up and do something.

Anything but debate the issue.

Hmmm...not sure the opposition can do anything but scrutinise Brendi.

What do you propose other than insisting on that, a coup d'etat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

A walk out Francie, maybe a sit in, ML did it before so SF have form in both.
    Laughable really either way.

• Advertisement

Get a majority from the electorate to support your policies.

What if FG did it? Would it be laughable then?

Floppybits wrote: »
    What if FG did it? Would it be laughable then?

It would not, FG would be right if they did it of course!

The Greens walked out before, back when they had ethics of course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

This gov are doing a great job of building up the opposition, long may it continue. Going from one shambles to the next.

The Greens walked out before, back when they had ethics of course.

There's been loads of walkouts Tbf, I think the opposition including FF did it during the 2011 govt at some stage.
    But you have to go back in eventually, it's like bringing your football home if you're losing.

Get a majority from the electorate to support your policies.

More of the electorate voted for SF's policies Brendi.

The electorate haven't yet had a say on this government. They will though when they stand again.

The electorate haven't yet had a say on this government. They will though when they stand again.

Best of luck with that Francie, they were fairly far off the mark on this one.

Why do I keep thinking that most of the electorate voted for policies of parties who were not SF and the tumbleshacks who have no interest in govt. just the wedge from the taxpayer.

Which is why they couldn’t form a govt.

Go figure, Coach.

There's been loads of walkouts Tbf, I think the opposition including FF did it during the 2011 govt at some stage.
    But you have to go back in eventually, it's like bringing your football home if you're losing.

It's more than that. It's a step above IMO. It's a protest.
    Varadkar relishing opposition was more taking your ball and going home IMO.
    Laughing things off is what has FF/FG/Greens in the position they are.

Best of luck with that Francie, they were fairly far off the mark on this one.

Why do I keep thinking that most of the electorate voted for policies of parties who were not SF and the tumbleshacks who have no interest in govt. just the wedge from the taxpayer.

Which is why they couldn’t form a govt.

Go figure, Coach.

They couldn't form a government because the numbers were not there. That's as much others fault as theirs.

The fact is this government was not elected by the electorate, they will give their opinion on it, next time out. Will that be similar to the last one, who knows.

• Advertisement

They couldn't form a government because the numbers were not there. That's as much others fault as theirs.

The fact is this government was not elected by the electorate, they will give their opinion on it, next time out. Will that be similar to the last one, who knows.

So only a majority one party govt meets yr standards now

SF were some distance off that, just FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

*Breaking News* Sinn Fein walk out of Parliament they don't attend.

Tell us about how the Shinners can bilocate BB and storm out of where they aren't.
    Not even Houdini could pull that level of illusion off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Or a march?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you are admitting that SF couldn't form a government because the numbers were not there, then you can't say that more of the electorate voted for SF's policies than for the Government.

The fact is that no single party was elected Francie.

But here’s the thing..... the Shinners and those who are in this for the wedge have not gained the support of the majority of the electorate.

The present govt. have garnered the support to form a govt.

Do you seriously think the debts run up by the present govt. could have been achieved by a Sf led govt.

Not. In. A. Million. Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Tantrum-throwing like two-year olds if they walk out. Fits the SF profile.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you are admitting that SF couldn't form a government because the numbers were not there, then you can't say that more of the electorate voted for SF's policies than for the Government.

Misrepresenting again blanch. Despicable carry on.

More people voted for SF's policies than voted for any other parties policies.

This government have coalesced and that is fine. But it cannot say that it is a government the people wanted. That's the same for any coalition formed after an election.

blanch152 wrote: »

Technically neither could FG or FF blanc - they needed each other plus the Greens to be sure.
    The difference was that FF before the election stated he wouldn't go into govt with either FG or SF - turns out that was only half true.

23 Jan 2020 - MM rules out 'grand coalition' with FG
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0123/1110388-martin-no-coaltion-fg/?fbclid=IwAR3tQthwUGyjT64Ivw8D5AO2yjQ7DUibC9tRgf_iQWK5XBmam4Qn98jO2oo

IF either FG or FF had made a 'grand coalition' with SF they could have been in govt.

Do you seriously think the debts run up by the present govt. could have been achieved by a Sf led govt.

I think the present govt. are playing an absolute blinder in running up debts but they haven't done as well as the fabled FF/GP govt who ran up more debts than any other govt in the history of the Irish republic.
    SF could only dream about running up those kind of debts.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    IF either FG or FF had made a 'grand coalition' with SF they could have been in govt.

It amuses me greatly to imagine the three or four most regular posters here holding a SF govt to account in their best "I'm only asking the hard questions, maaaan" mode

The idea of, say, a FF/SF govt having managed the past eight months in any significantly better or different way than the current lot- give or take the flavour of whatever inevitable controversy would have arisen changing- is fair nonsense.

But the govt-basher cru on boards would've been defending every decision and move to the hilt.

What a game, eh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement