Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dont the "splinter" group,which consisted of 60% delegates that night (after the leadership tried pull a quick one),consider themselves sinn fein?

It doesn't matter, once they split like that, neither can claim the legacy of 1919.

It is a fable told to young Shinners of the long lineage back to Finn MacCumhaill.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

blanch152 wrote: »
    What has McEntee done wrong? I posted the relevant extracts from the legislation days ago, and not a single poster has pointed to where she broke the rules or whether different rules apply.

It seems to me that those criticising McEntee on here are sheepishly following the lead of politicians shouting on the airwaves, without applying a critical eye to the relevant legislation, rules and regulations and pointing to any misdeed. I could be wrong on this, but perhaps you or one of the others will point me in the direction of the broken law, broken protocol or broken procedure, with relevant links.

100% agree. It's political games or people with blinders on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobotty wrote: »
    I didn't know until I read that, that they had a period of nearly 20 years where they were even more right than the blue shirts and wanted to have a state based on some kind of Vatican Portuguese dictator model
    Don't tell Francie :D:D

Hey Nobotty. I voted for them in the previous election for the first time.

Nought to do with me. Nobody owns my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bowie wrote: »
    Can't see Varadkar going any time soon.
    His career path is in tatters and there is unlikely to be a cushy job waiting for him in Brussels.
    They can't dump him after putting their collective necks on the line backing him.
    They need something on which to walk. The alternative is that FG's opinion poll ratings start to collapse to the stage where even FG TDs with safe seats begin to worry about their seats. Varadkar has been a disaster for FG. He screwed up every ministry to which he was appointed. He then led FG to one of its worst defeats from a position where it was dominating the opinion polls before Christmas 2019. He then let the neo-Unionist/anti-Irish Charlie Flanagan off on his brainfart to commemorate Black and Tans terrorists. FF was led by a closet FGer (Martin) and failed to exploit this but SF had no such problem. FG, under Varadkar, was beaten into third place behind FF and SF. Now there;s the Leo The Leak problem, the Woulfe problem and the Helen Absentee problem. SF couldn't have hoped for a more incompetent leader of FG.
    They'll (FF/FG/Greens) need brass it out.
    The Greens could be the weak link as sometimes they fight with their conscience and their conscience wins.
    McEntee might get demoted but again it's too much for them and too late. McEntee might get the bull**** martyr Frances Fitzgerald treatment, she did nothing wrong* but had to go because the opposition bullied her out etc. etc.
    Government will trundle along hoping Brexit throws up enough dust.
    At this stage, it looks like they are just hoping to make it to the Christmas break. The appointment of McEntee looks increasingly like a box ticking exercise to appease the media.
    Varadkar's days are certainly numbered. He's a dead man walking IMO.
    He should have been removed after the GE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Triangle wrote: »
    Even Alan Kelly admitted (in the Dail today when MM said it to him) that the judiciary committee put forward one name for appointments - this is standard procedure.
    You're looking for scandal where there is none

Edit: in fact the way judges are nominated by the judiciary was one of the big changes that the minister in the last Dail tried to get through but was blocked left, right and center.

I'm not. I'm just sitting back here in level 5 with nowt to do and just enjoying the craic with MM in DE tripping and stumbling from one fiasco to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'm not. I'm just sitting back here in level 5 with nowt to do and just enjoying the craic with MM in DE tripping and stumbling from one fiasco to the next.

Great attitude it has to be said........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't see anything on the web or anywhere to suggest the opposition are going to walk out. So why exactly do people think they are walking out?
    The guy who posted it on here didn't realize the current party he/she supports, Sinn Fein, wasn't created till 1970 so I have questions over his/her credibility

It was literally posted seven posts previous to this one.
    Things are deteriorating fast. Who will blink first. My money's on the government. Away out on a limb here.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1331300084965924867

*Waits on argument that Gavan Reilly isn't a reputable source, and twitter isnt hosted on the web*

Great attitude it has to be said........

Sure is Brenners, highlight of the week now is the trip to Dunnes and a walk around the 5k. Only entertainment apart from Borat is in DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Triangle wrote: »
    Even Alan Kelly admitted (in the Dail today when MM said it to him) that the judiciary committee put forward one name for appointments - this is standard procedure.
    You're looking for scandal where there is none

Edit: in fact the way judges are nominated by the judiciary was one of the big changes that the minister in the last Dail tried to get through but was blocked left, right and center.

I have asked about 3 times for anyone to outline the breach of law or procedure. Never answered. Not one opposition td ever outlined what they want mcentee to confirm. I don't think that they understand the actual rules similar to their understanding of the apple case. But this raises division in the real world.

If one poster can outline the process breach or concerns around the appointmet it will be a step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sure is Brenners, highlight of the week now is the trip to Dunnes and a walk around the 5k. Only entertainment apart from Borat is in DE.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    I have asked about 3 times for anyone to outline the breach of law or procedure. Never answered. Not one opposition td ever outlined what they want mcentee to confirm. I don't think that they understand the actual rules similar to their understanding of the apple case. But this raises division in the real world.

If one poster can outline the process breach or concerns around the appointmet it will be a step forward.

Wouldn't it make sense for McEntee to answer the questions or concerns around the appointments so?

Wouldn't it make sense for McEntee to answer the questions or concerns around the appointments so?

Of course. It is crazy that she hasn't. But I think everyone knows what the outcome is going to be.

It is bizarre that something so benign is causing a sh1t storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    What has McEntee done wrong? I posted the relevant extracts from the legislation days ago, and not a single poster has pointed to where she broke the rules or whether different rules apply.

It seems to me that those criticising McEntee on here are sheepishly following the lead of politicians shouting on the airwaves, without applying a critical eye to the relevant legislation, rules and regulations and pointing to any misdeed. I could be wrong on this, but perhaps you or one of the others will point me in the direction of the broken law, broken protocol or broken procedure, with relevant links.

Engaged in crony behaviour putting forward one name, the name of a Varadkar favourite and FG'er.
    You ignored the responses. Nobody made the claims you are disputing. You didn't answer any of the questions put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

All opposition parties have withdrawn from the Dáil business Commitee

Floppybits wrote: »
    All opposition parties have withdrawn from the Dáil business Commitee

I don't know much about committee. What does this mean in practice.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I don't know much about committee. What does this mean in practice.

It where all the parties agree what will be on the agenda in the Dail. The government are now looking at getting rid of the committee.

It means the dail closes down afaik.....if no agenda can be set,

Its a fair step up,from years ago,when shinners used to walk out to highlight government abusing dail protocol....

.the old slashing oppostion speaking time,has come back to haunt the governmet

SF also discussing removing of pairing in Dail votes.

No paddys day trips or eu visits so,it seens

Tbh,after ok-ing leaking confidential info,the government have made their bed......no sympathy for em

I cant understand why the government have made this so hard on themselves. Just have McEntee come in and answer the questions and put an end to it. After all both she and the government have said that she has done nothing wrong so where is the problem in answering the opposition questions, Is it that the government don't trust her to answer the questions?

What......questions......

I cant understand why the government have made this so hard on themselves.
    One member of the Crony Coalition goes down and they all go down.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I cant understand why the government have made this so hard on themselves. Just have McEntee come in and answer the questions and put an end to it. After all both she and the government have said that she has done nothing wrong so where is the problem in answering the opposition questions, Is it that the government don't trust her to answer the questions?

Strikes me,they dont want to legtimise the opposition and are espially weary after the pasting varadkar got off catherine connolly

They just want to wait for slip ups by opposition (which have been remarkably few tbh) and sneer about "best oppostion" for social media likes

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

They must have zero belief in her ability to respond off script, if this is how far their going to protect her from scrutiny.

Strikes me,they dont want to legtimise the opposition and are espially weary after the pasting varadkar got off catherine connolly

They just want to wait for slip ups by opposition (which have been remarkably few tbh) and sneer about "best oppostion" for social media likes

I think it is down to Martin being in a weak position as leader and also to his dislike of SF and the thought of giving them anything no matter how reasonable the request is kills him.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it is down to Martin being in a weak position as leader and also to his dislike of SF and the thought of giving them anything no matter how reasonable the request is kills him.

Labour are leading the way on this one though. I agree that it is the tail wagging the dog though. Varadkar is calling the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Sinn Fein didn't win an overwhelming victory in the 1918 First Dail, SK?

I know it's a little confusing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If McEntee was a man, a real man, it would be a different story. She'd be hauled up to answer.

Labour are leading the way on this one though. I agree that it is the tail wagging the dog though. Varadkar is calling the shots.
    Martin has always been a closet FGer. He's the typical beta male who always needs a strong alpha. Varadkar seems to be playing that role for him. As for Labour, Pravda/RTE has been working hard to portray little AK47 as the leader of a major political party as if 2016 and 2020 never happened. The best thing for SF and the opposition now is to force FFG to start tearing itself apart.

Regards...jmcc

Limpy wrote: »
    If McEntee was a man, a real man, it would be a different story. She'd be hauled up to answer.

I don't agree that she is getting an easy ride because of her gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Limpy wrote: »

What exactly makes you think any of this has to do with gender?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What exactly makes you think any of this has to do with gender?

Go back to the Francis Fitzgerald fiasco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement