Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a bike with a rear bike basket

Options
  • 11-10-2020 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I have a rear bike basket that I would love to use but I tried fitting it and couldn't swing my leg over the basket. So I took the basket of again. Is there anything I can do to get my leg over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reverse swing - swing it over the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Depending on the bike and your flexibility, you can try one of these.

One option is to scoot along with one foot on a pedal and then throw the other leg over - maybe the few cm are enough to clear the carrier. Downside is that you are moving so if you catch it you might fall .

Another option is to swing a leg over the handlebars instead of the carrier. Downside is that the handlebars are wider so chance of clipping is higher.

A third option to try is to lean the bike somewhat and step over the lowered crossbar. Downside of this is the contents of the basket may fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Always found this challenging when the kids were small and had the bike seat mounted on beater which has a high crossbar. Nearly roundhoused them once or twice, then went with an inelegant squeezing of foot in front of the saddle - always a bit challenging with the instability of having the smallie on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Step through bike :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can just about swing the leg over mine, but if I have stuff in it, I throw the leg over the crossbar instead (which always reminds me of footage of guys doing the high-jump in the 1920s).

Rear basket is a brilliant addition to any practical bike, I brought a box of beer back from the offie the other day in mine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ED E wrote: »
    Step through bike :P

I should have bought a step through bike. Too late for that now.

Advertisement