Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar Tennis Club

Options
  • 11-10-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

Been thinking of joining the club for a long time now and I'm looking for a bit of info. I did email them some questions some time ago but never got a response and I keep missing their open days! Been down in the afternoon twice and didn't see anyone to talk to. So,

1. What do you get for your membership fee? Is that a joining fee and then additional charges per use or how does it work?

2. I heard they have some days set aside for beginners. Anyone have info on that?

3. I'm be looking for a court to practice my serve as much as play to start with since I'm a complete beginner-ish. Would they facilitate that? I see the 2 outdoor courts vacant often which would do.

4. What's the story with the Covid situation (level 3 currently). Would I be advised to leave it till things improve?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭MacDanger

AllForIt wrote: »
    Been thinking of joining the club for a long time now and I'm looking for a bit of info. I did email them some questions some time ago but never got a response and I keep missing their open days! Been down in the afternoon twice and didn't see anyone to talk to. So,

1. What do you get for your membership fee? Is that a joining fee and then additional charges per use or how does it work?

2. I heard they have some days set aside for beginners. Anyone have info on that?

3. I'm be looking for a court to practice my serve as much as play to start with since I'm a complete beginner-ish. Would they facilitate that? I see the 2 outdoor courts vacant often which would do.

4. What's the story with the Covid situation (level 3 currently). Would I be advised to leave it till things improve?

Thanks

I joined when I lived in Castlebar and it's a great club. I did beginners lessons which cost either 50 or 100 euro and were very good. Then membership for the year was another 50 or something so it was pretty good value. Normal membership is ~ 300/year I think

To book a court is E1.50/30 min for the indoor courts and E1/30min for the outdoor courts. Lights are ~ E2/h I think?

After the beginners lessons were finished, a few of us from the class would meet up regularly and play. The club also organises various events including ones specifically for beginners. There's a ladder competition during the summer so you're playing against people of similar ability.

The outdoor courts are usually empty during the day so I'm sure if you want to practice your serve there, it wouldn't be a problem.

They reopened after covid with new guidelines but not sure where it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks

There is an adult membership fee.It was in around 300 euro the last time I was a member.I'd imagine it's dropped quite considerably with the times we're in.

I am not sure how much it is at the present time as it's a few years since I was a member.

You are requested in various token ways to assist with the running of the club.

Dan Irimia is the club coach.A very nice chap.He is probably your go to person with any queries.Paul Gavin was looking after the running of the club.

If you play outdoors there are no additional fees however if you book a court in the dome you are charged for each half hour and there is an additional fee if I recall if lights are required.

Historically there was a monthly fun Friday night.A nice way to bring on board new members.

Much of the information you seek is available on this link.

https://www.facebook.com/castlebartennisclub/

"Unfortunately we have to close our dome following the government's decision to move the country to Level 3 restrictions.This is in line with Tennis Ireland guidelines stating indoor tennis courts should close. Our outdoor courts will stay open. Also we will have to postpone our Club Championships as no competitions or events can take place during Level 3."

Below is the on line booking system.You log in with your membership username and password and book anyway.

https://castlebartennisclub.mycourts.co.uk/bookings.asp

TBH with the Covid 19 pandemic I can't imagine there's much activity ATM.It seems to be quite quiet when I drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Cheers guys. I didn't know there was a Facebook page - cuz I'm not on it.

According to the club website it's €100 for new members so that wouldn't be bad at all for the first year anyway with the additional lights charges.

And yeah I realise this is a terrible time to be thinking about joining but if I could use the outside court whenever I want that would be useful before things get back to normal. I'll prolly leave it till things get a little more active down there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cheers guys. I didn't know there was a Facebook page - cuz I'm not on it.

According to the club website it's €100 for new members so that wouldn't be bad at all for the first year anyway with the additional lights charges.

And yeah I realise this is a terrible time to be thinking about joining but if I could use the outside court whenever I want that would be useful before things get back to normal. I'll prolly leave it till things get a little more active down there though.

It is quite cheap for the first year but sharply increases after that as far as I can recall.

Good call.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭AllForIt

seligehgit wrote: »
    It is quite cheap for the first year but sharply increases after that as far as I can recall.

Good call.

Best of luck with it.

...thank you : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement