Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorting a Spanish laptop

Options
  • 12-10-2020 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just Got a laptop with Spanish keyboard and running windows 7 pro but its in Spanish too, I got my own windows 7 disc here too and want to know how to change it all back to English or can I upgrade to windows 10 or which ever is the easiest solution, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

LeoHughes wrote: »
    Just Got a laptop with Spanish keyboard and running windows 7 pro but its in Spanish too, I got my own windows 7 disc here too and want to know how to change it all back to English or can I upgrade to windows 10 or which ever is the easiest solution, cheers

Just go into settings and language options and change the display language to English, I am pretty sure English is installed as default and other languages on top of that. Keep your keyboard set to Spanish language or set it to Ireland and you'll just have to "know" what keys are where where they are not aligned, you can probably buy and English keyboard cheap enough on ebay / amazon and replace the Spanish one if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Not sure Windows 7 allows you to even install the languages pack, not Home/Pro versions.
    Might have to wipe it clean and install Windows 10, if the laptop is powerful enough (SSD, 8GB RAM).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just go into settings and language options and change the display language to English, I am pretty sure English is installed as default and other languages on top of that. Keep your keyboard set to Spanish language or set it to Ireland and you'll just have to "know" what keys are where where they are not aligned, you can probably buy and English keyboard cheap enough on ebay / amazon and replace the Spanish one if you want.

Depending on the laptop, you might be able to 'pop' off the keys and swap them around once you change the layout in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

you can buy UK/Irish keyboard overlay stickers on ebay that stick over the keys to convert to irish/uk keypad .. or depending on the laptop the keyboard can be easy and cheaper to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Depending on the laptop, you might be able to 'pop' off the keys and swap them around once you change the layout in settings.

That won't help much, if the symbols are mixed on keys.
    e.g. English keyboard has semi-colon and colon on the same key, then comma with left-angle bracket (<) and full-stop with right-angle bracket (>).
    On a Spanish keyboard, the angle brackets are on the same key, the colon is with the full-stop and the semi-colon is with the comma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

Not allowing me to change the language, could I upgrade to windows 8 and choose the English version and if so how do I do it please

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Start> Control panel>Region and language> Keyboard and Language >Change keyboard
    Does the user have Administrative rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LeoHughes wrote: »
    Not allowing me to change the language, could I upgrade to windows 8 and choose the English version and if so how do I do it please

Even if you were coming from Windows 3.1, most people wouldn't consider a move to Windows 8 as an 'upgrade'. It's a total crock of sh1t.

Advertisement