Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut milk in curry

Options
  • 12-10-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I made a basic curry over the weekend.

It tasted fine right up until I added the coconut milk.
    It left a sour taste in the curry.
    Should that happen?

The tin of coconut milk was on offer at 65 cent in tesco, so maybe the coconut milk was off or something.

I don't really make curry's or use coconut milk so thanks in advance for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

65c is very cheap. You need to watch the coconut content (it's a percentage) on the label, the higher the better. I have a couple of cans of Blue Dragon in the press, the number on the tin is 56%.

Edit: Chaokoh is a popular brand, you'll find it in all the Asian shops. Price at the link below is €1.65 which is a typical price for a 400ml tin and the coconut content is 53%.

https://www.asiamarket.ie/chaokoh-coconut-milk-400ml.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »
    The tin of coconut milk was on offer at 65 cent in tesco, so maybe the coconut milk was off or something.
    It would not have been off, it is tinned so lasts pretty much indefinitely as it is sterile.

The price of many things in tesco is very cheap so they can appear cheap in price comparisons to other supermarkets. Their coconut milk used to be more expensive.

So the price is not always a good indication of quality.

e.g. This pizza is 61cent, and while not great quality it is very good for the price https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300285831
    They have 2-3 other pizzas in that range, very similar looking but they are about €1.50-€1.70

I find the aldi & lidl coconut milks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Should the coconut milk have left a bitter / sour after taste though?
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.06.44.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I normally find that coconut milk adds sweetness to a dish.
    Was it well cooked in?

Was it bitter or sour?
    They aren't interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hi there

I made a basic curry over the weekend.

It tasted fine right up until I added the coconut milk.
    It left a sour taste in the curry.
    Should that happen?

I don't really make curry's or use coconut milk so thanks in advance for advice.

At what point in the process did you add the coconut milk?

• Advertisement

I added it near the end, simmer for about 5 mins.
    I'd say more sour than bitter, as if I added buttermilk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe it can go rancid if exposed to air just like normal milk. I suppose it's possible the tin had "popped" and air had got in.

Ok so really, the coconut milk should have added a sweetness and creaminess to the curry?

I might try it again so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ok so really, the coconut milk should have added a sweetness and creaminess to the curry?

I might try it again so.

I would typically make my curry sauce using coconut milk - couple of tablespoons of curry sauce into 400ml of coconut milk, stir well, lob it into the pan over the veg and chicken. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer until desired thickness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I only really use coconut milk in a green curry.

1. Sauté one diced onion in ghee or oil until translucent
    2. Add generous quantities chopped coriander, garlic, lemongrass and two to three green chilli peppers to oil and allow to lightly infuse before adding chicken, prawn, beef or pork (or a combo!)
    3. When the meat has lightly browned on the outside, add a tbsp fish sauce, enough chicken or veg stock to cover the meat and pour in a can of coconut milk. Keep a carton of coconut milk on hand to top up the sauce if it evaporates off, balance with green curry paste. You'll get better at estimating as you get used to the recipe.
    4. When it's simmering, tip in half a cup of keffir lime leaves (or the zest of a lime) and grind in pepper to taste.
    5. Taste at this point for your flavour preference; for more spice I add dried chilli and for msg flavour I top it up with fenugreek.
    6. Add whatever vegetables you like in order of how long it'll take them to cook. I add add: cubed potatoes, broccoli, side-sliced carrots, green beans or mangetout, peppers and peas.
    7. Leave for about 20 minutes and serve with noodles or rice (for basmati or long grain, a cup per person of rice, rinse in a sieve before cooking, cover with water entirely plus your hand's height, take it off the boil before all water evaporates and drape a towel over the steam to keep it cooking and bulk it up).

I reckon there could have been issues with the coconut milk not getting the chance to properly cook or maybe some of the ingredients may not have been fresh, or perhaps something curdled it. Don't be discouraged if it goes wrong! Try it again and change it up, you'll enjoy it more and more as you get better.

• Advertisement

Reading some of the recipes above, the one thing you definitely don't want to be doing to coconut milk is boiling it :eek: Simmer gently by all means, but boiling it will curdle it. and you don't want that.

My Go To curry recipe has been McDonnell's curry powder in a tub.
    (yes yes I know it's the pot noodle equivilant in the curry world! :D:o)

I'll try making a curry again for sure.
    I appreciate all the answers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Full of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Nobody seems to be picking up that it's light coconut milk, find the light stuff pretty poor and very watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My Go To curry recipe has been McDonnell's curry powder in a tub.
    (yes yes I know it's the pot noodle equivilant in the curry world! :D:o)

I'll try making a curry again for sure.
    I appreciate all the answers.
    what would be your ideal curry? the mcdonnells is like chipper sauce.

If you like Chinese takeaway curry sauce there are several brands to try, and suggestions of stuff to add to them. If you have any interest just say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IME light coconut milk has a tendency to split when heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That has very little coconut content in it and wouldn’t be representative of the addition of cocoanut milk or cream to a curry. It’s a bit of a fake product in reality as it’s little more than a watered down version. Maybe it’s sold as the “diet” alternative but only to the extent that you want a watered down end/product.

I tend to use this Thai Gold product which is more of an actual coconut product and is available in Dunnes and others. If

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

s1ippy wrote: »
    I only really use coconut milk in a green curry.

So did I once but I eventually tried it with basic curry power and it's still delicious with that. I had one today coincidentally, first for a while and I was just thinking what tastier dish could be more simple to make. You just have to throw the cream and the curry into the pot with whatever meat or veg you wan't with it.

==============

There is absolute noting wrong with Tesco 65c thick or light coconut milk. Been using it for years, especially since they reduced the price. Why ppl want to pay more for brands is beyond me. No idea OP why your's tasted bad. I've never had that experience.

rubadub wrote: »
    what would be your ideal curry? the mcdonnells is like chipper sauce.

If you like Chinese takeaway curry sauce there are several brands to try, and suggestions of stuff to add to them. If you have any interest just say.

I've only discovered curries late in life as I wrongly thought - from a Childs memory - they they just burn your throat as you swallow so how could you take enjoyment from that.

I don't really like that takeaway sauce type of curry but I thought it's better than nothing for cooking at home

Thai Green curry in the local pub - loved it but even I know you're not meant to have balls of powder in it!
    I've had a massaman curry in Siam Thai in dundrum, that was lovely.
    Butter chicken in a local take away - love it.
    Also had a Korma and Tickka Masala - gorgeous.

AllForIt wrote: »
    So did I once but I eventually tried it with basic curry power and it's still delicious with that. I had one today coincidentally, first for a while and I was just thinking what tastier dish could be more simple to make. You just have to throw the cream and the curry into the pot with whatever meat or veg you wan't with it.

==============

There is absolute noting wrong with Tesco 65c thick or light coconut milk. Been using it for years, especially since they reduced the price. Why ppl want to pay more for brands is beyond me. No idea OP why your's tasted bad. I've never had that experience.

good to know that wasn't meant to happen!!
    I was unsure of what taste the coconut milk was meant to provide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Coconut milk in curry is lovely, certainly not sour. I used use those little sachets that you liquify with hot water before the tinned milk became so readily available. Creamier the better though, the light stuff is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

looksee wrote: »
    Coconut milk in curry is lovely, certainly not sour. I used use those little sachets that you liquify with hot water before the tinned milk became so readily available. Creamier the better though, the light stuff is a waste of time.

I would second (or third or fourth) this..... use the full fat decent version, and just make the portions a bit smaller if you're worried about calories. Mind you, that's harder to do when it's tastier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I added it near the end, simmer for about 5 mins.
    I'd say more sour than bitter, as if I added buttermilk

You might as well have just poured it over the meal when it was on the plate.

You should let it simmer for a good while, stir it well at the start and then again every so often. Sometimes when using the light version I add a bit of cornflour near the end if it's too watery and needs a bit of thickening.

Give it another go.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I've only discovered curries late in life as I wrongly thought - from a Childs memory - they they just burn your throat as you swallow so how could you take enjoyment from that.

I don't really like that takeaway sauce type of curry but I thought it's better than nothing for cooking at home

Thai Green curry in the local pub - loved it but even I know you're not meant to have balls of powder in it!

You need to move on to a Vindaloo or even a Phall. Chili induced endorphins are addictive when you move over to the hot side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Alun wrote: »
    Reading some of the recipes above, the one thing you definitely don't want to be doing to coconut milk is boiling it :eek: Simmer gently by all means, but boiling it will curdle it. and you don't want that.

Actually in many thai curries the aim is to curdle it to release the oils. This is difficult with most of the supermarket coconut milks because of the xantham gum added during the canning process. An exception to this would be coconut lite - which is very weak.

Most restaurants here use chaokoh, it's high quality and won't split when boiled unless directly simmered in oil.

Actually in many thai curries the aim is to curdle it to release the oils.
    I've never heard of that before. Some recipes I've used call for "frying" the coconut milk with the spices at the start which will result in the oil separating from the solids although I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Did you put coconut milk in with sauce made from McDonnell's powder???

I think your best bet is to look up and try some recipes for actual curries, like the ones you listed above. What you made is not a curry, sorry.

Thai green curry is one of the easiest things in the world to make, all you need is a decent paste, coconut milk and whatever veg & meat you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dial Hard wrote: »

Thai green curry is one of the easiest things in the world to make, all you need is a decent paste, coconut milk and whatever veg & meat you want.

This! I was afraid of it for years, and only recently realised how stupidly easy it is!

Most of those noodle bar places in Dublin sell the paste and good coconut milk for cheap enough prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

I just checked the tins I have in my kitchen. Tesco full fat is 51% coconut extract. The one from Aldi is 76%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭feelings

I find this as well, no matter the brand.
    kylith wrote: »
    IME light coconut milk has a tendency to split when heated.

Advertisement