Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my phone be ruining charging cables?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a refurbished iPhone 7 from GetTech about 6 months ago. Before that I had a 6S and was using cheap charging cables from Dealz without any issues.

The new phone seemed to recognize that I'm not using original lightning cables, and would always stop charging after about a minute, saying that "Accessory is not supported."

I bought 3 proper Apple lightning cables and everything was fine for a while, but after a few weeks the phone would switch between charging and not charging rapidly - this would happen maybe once or twice a week, but eventually it was happening every single time when charging. After a few days of this the cable stopped working completely.

I started using another cable from the multipack, and again, everything was working fine for maybe a month and half, but yesterday the phone started going between charging and not charging again, and for the last two weeks it takes me a few attempts of connecting the phone to the charger for the charge to actually start, sometimes I have to plug the whole thing out of the wall and plug it in again.

I don't understand phones at all, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me, is there any chance that I have a faulty charging port on that phone that is ruining the cables after a while or do you think I was just very unlucky with cables?

I have no problem getting the charge port fixed, but I don't want to go to the shop looking like an idiot if it has nothing to do with it :D Can the port itself damage the cable somehow?

Cheers!

Just editing to add that the socket adapter I'm using is also genuine Apple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have you checked to see if there is lint\ dirt in the charge port?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. It's clean. I think if it was not working due to a dirty port, the new cables wouldn't work.

When I try a new cable, it works perfectly for about a month and then it starts giving me issues. The cables are dying on me and I can't figure out why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. It's clean. I think if it was not working due to a dirty port, the new cables wouldn't work.

When I try a new cable, it works perfectly for about a month and then it starts giving me issues. The cables are dying on me and I can't figure out why :confused:

Have they all been connected to the same wall adapter?
    Is it the 5w version?

Advertisement