Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a House in Limerick

• 12-10-2020 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all.

I'm looking at buying a property in Limerick in the next few months and just wanted to get some feedback on a couple of areas.

I currently live in Dooradoyle so have a reasonably good idea about the city but thought it might be good to get some alternative opinions.

Now I am looking to live in this property in the medium term but will also want to have the option of renting it down the road.

The areas I'm considering are as follows;

Kilteragh, Dooradoyle

Alandale, SCR

Huntsfield, Dooradoyle

Newtown, Annacotty

I haven't considered Corbally/Caherdavin/Castletroy too strongly but if there was an argument for doing so I'd be open.

Probably too many questions here but any opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hi all.

I'm looking at buying a property in Limerick in the next few months and just wanted to get some feedback on a couple of areas.

I currently live in Dooradoyle so have a reasonably good idea about the city but thought it might be good to get some alternative opinions.

Now I am looking to live in this property in the medium term but will also want to have the option of renting it down the road.

The areas I'm considering are as follows;

Kilteragh, Dooradoyle

Alandale, SCR

Huntsfield, Dooradoyle

Newtown, Annacotty

I haven't considered Corbally/Caherdavin/Castletroy too strongly but if there was an argument for doing so I'd be open.

Probably too many questions here but any opinions are welcome.

I don't see why you wouldn't be looking at Caherdavin/Castletroy as they are pretty similar to the areas mentioned. All about the same really bit closer to town is easier rent in the future I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Local Area Man

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't be looking at Caherdavin/Castletroy as they are pretty similar to the areas mentioned. All about the same really bit closer to town is easier rent in the future I would think

I suppose I just don't know Caherdavin as well as I know Dooradoyle. I have lived in Castletroy as a student so I know it quite well. My preference for Dooradoyle is just based on the fact I'm happy living here.

I suppose I'm looking for more specific details on estates like Kilteragh and Alandale because prices are reasonable and they are houses available,

Corbally has some traffic issues I believe and I travel for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Haven't lived in any of those estates but with kilteragh I'd check how difficult it is to get out of at busy times. Pulling out onto a very busy road and there's no roundabout or lights (unless that's changed very recently?)

Haven't lived in any of those estates but with kilteragh I'd check how difficult it is to get out of at busy times. Pulling out onto a very busy road and there's no roundabout or lights (unless that's changed very recently?)

I pass the entrance regularly and yeah, looks quite difficult to get out of there in the mornings/evenings, especially with the school close by.

Houses look well built though and I assume its a pretty safe and respectable area.

Of all the areas, Alandale looks the best in terms of rental income. Anyone have any experience living there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I pass the entrance regularly and yeah, looks quite difficult to get out of there in the mornings/evenings, especially with the school close by.

Houses look well built though and I assume its a pretty safe and respectable area.

Of all the areas, Alandale looks the best in terms of rental income. Anyone have any experience living there?

I've lived a bit further down towards town just past Mary I and near punches cross on O'Connell AVE and I liked it. Was pretty quiet but also a quick walk to or drunken stumble back from town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Did you check Rhebogue area?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

One issue with Newtown Annacotty is you've only the 308 bus to town unless you walk towards the Hurlers. Its not a bad service, but you are limited to only being dropped off a certain spots in the city.

I've lived in Annacotty just over a year ago, and now am in Monaleen/Castletroy but we're seeing a major difference not having to go past Kilmurry each day.

Did you check Rhebogue area?

I kind of skipped past it on the basis I always imagine it's quite difficult to get in and out with traffic but I might be wrong on that.

I need to get on the motorway for work and it's been pretty easy living in Dooradoyle. I imagined Annacotty would be similar but as the poster above suggested, it's not too easy to get into town. I'm a 20 min walk from my current accommodation. Rheboge is similar I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Yeah Alandale is very nice, lived there for a long time. During the summer it is bliss, so quiet compared to housing estates and there is a nice small park in the middle of the complex. Mary I across the road for walks. Rarely used a taxi for nights out as it was so close to town was ideal.

During the year you might live next to students though, that would be the only concern. Mind you I never had an issue with noise.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Yeah Alandale is very nice, lived there for a long time. During the summer it is bliss, so quiet compared to housing estates and there is a nice small park in the middle of the complex. Mary I across the road for walks. Rarely used a taxi for nights out as it was so close to town was ideal.

During the year you might live next to students though, that would be the only concern. Mind you I never had an issue with noise.

Cheers for that. It's ticking a lot of boxes to be fair. Particularly value for money and rental potential in the future.

Energy ratings look good also which is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

alandale is indeed nice , much better than kilteragh which is middle of the road , not rough or anything but kind of functional at best

kilteragh would be cheaper obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Come out of the estate, turn left with the traffic, go up to the roundabout and cut through Raheen or keep going straight, and cut back down by old crescent rugby club into town. easy peasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Granadino wrote: »
    Come out of the estate, turn left with the traffic, go up to the roundabout and cut through Raheen or keep going straight, and cut back down by old crescent rugby club into town. easy peasy.

It may well be grand, I just remember someone saying it to me years ago when I was looking for places to rent. Has probably been rectified. Is there space if a car at the top decides to turn right that you can get around them? Or have they banned right turns altogether?

The benefit of living there is your a short walk to the crescent and a lot of amenities so maybe you leave the car at home more also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

There's a yellow box on the road, but when you are turning right, the lane nearest the footpath is usually traffic that goes straight on, so could be blind to you with the traffic on the nearer middle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Granadino wrote: »
    There's a yellow box on the road, but when you are turning right, the lane nearest the footpath is usually traffic that goes straight on, so could be blind to you with the traffic on the nearer middle lane.

There is no second lane, it's a cycle path!

Advertisement