Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trails Around Limerick?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to do a bit of off road around Limerick on a new MTB, nothing mad, flat forest trails/gravel tracks would be ideal for me. Im going to check out Cratloe woods soon and up around Woodcock Hill over the next couple of weeks.

Looking on Google Earth I see a network of tracks and trails stretching from Bunlicky lake over the tunnel and a long way out the Shannon over towards the River Maigue:

UeV3r6S.png

They look ideal but how do you actually get on them? I asked in the Limerick forum but no answer.

Anywhere else like that around? Not really interested in technical stuff just off-road exploration/cross country trails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is Ballyhoura too far for you? The trails there are quite beginner friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭covey123

Second for Ballyhouras,miles of fire roads if you don't fancy anything too technical,with the options of trying the trails.
    Galtees and Silvermines mountains also not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah thanks should have mentioned I knew about those, Ill get to them sometime but they're all a drive though, I could be in the Burren or 20 other places for the same effort.

Is there anything else within cycling distance of the city like Cratloe and Woodcock Hill? I hear theres a lot of dirt tracks around Shannon Airport aswell, thats all Im looking for really.

I am genuinely baffled by those tracks along the Shannon, they'd be great for an evening spin for me when I felt like a change from the roadbike but I literally cannot find a way onto them, they're obviously seeing traffic but I cant think of a way onto them, there is a gate at the yellow arrow in my pic but its triple ziptied closed and I dont want to cut them:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6517318,-8.6725756,996m/data=!3m1!1e3

A couple of km of trails through a nature reserve outside my door would be perfect but its sealed off as far as I can tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭covey123

Thargor wrote: »
    there is a gate at the yellow arrow in my pic but its triple ziptied closed and I dont want to cut them:

Easy, bring 6 cable ties with you on your spin.... put
    3 on the gate on your way in,3 on the way out, it would be like you were never there:p:P

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Trails in and around Limerick

XC - Cratloe, Mooghaun Woods, Tountinne, Ballyhouras

Enduro style - Killaloe, Ballyhouras, Keeper Hill

Gravel - Cratloe/Gallows Hill, Ballyhouras, Slieve Felim way, Keeper Hill, Greenway from Rathkeale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

covey123 wrote: »
    Easy, bring 6 cable ties with you on your spin.... put
    3 on the gate on your way in,3 on the way out, it would be like you were never there:p:P

Or lift your bike over? Easier to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission :D

cletus wrote: »
    Or lift your bike over? Easier to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission :D
    Its one of those 8 foot high ones they put in with that green spiky fencing that goes along by the motorways, tbh if I dont figure out a way in soon I probably will be opening it up, its starting to really annoy me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Its one of those 8 foot high ones they put in with that green spiky fencing that goes along by the motorways, tbh if I dont figure out a way in soon I probably will be opening it up, its starting to really annoy me :D

If you look at Google Maps they seem to be accessible via the cement factory?

Treepole wrote: »
    If you look at Google Maps they seem to be accessible via the cement factory?
    24 hour security down there, not a hope of going in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭mart 23

I think all green space around the lake is owned by the cement factory and as such its private land .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Well it is all private property. So if you were going in the other side it would be the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Treepole wrote: »
    Well it is all private property. So if you were going in the other side it would be the same thing?

I presume it's less the morality of it, and more that the a trial security at one end won't let him pass

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Murroe / Glenstal Abbey Wood - fire road
    Lough Derg Way - Starts from Limerick City and brings you out along by the hydro electric plant. Nice and flat
    Theres a short trail from UL to Annacotty by the river.

David6330 wrote: »
    Murroe / Glenstal Abbey Wood - fire road
    Lough Derg Way - Starts from Limerick City and brings you out along by the hydro electric plant. Nice and flat
    Theres a short trail from UL to Annacotty by the river.
    Some good ones there thanks, never heard of the Lough Derg Way.
    cletus wrote: »
    I presume it's less the morality of it, and more that the a trial security at one end won't let him pass
    Yeah Ive already been down there its definitely a no-go. I think Ill be able to get in over this side if I cycle out past Mungret and come at it from that side up this road:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6357126,-8.7009442,3a,39.3y,319.75h,85.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQGB7j6GYWIW8IM8lmnFfxw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQGB7j6GYWIW8IM8lmnFfxw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D213.59558%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Advertisement