Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Items for inclusion in repair station?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 4:18pm

I've convinced the bosses to install a bike repair station in work, and I'm looking for tips on what to include. I've compiled the below list, just wondering if anybody has any input in terms of what they've seen that works (or doesn't work) or if I'm missing any big ticket items, as I'll be buying the equipment.

Bracket/frame for holding the bike
    Pump
    Multi-tool (screwdrivers + allen keys)
    Separate set of allen keys
    Adjustable spanner,
    Tyre levers
    Patches/repair kits
    Glue
    Lubricant + dispenser (non wd-40)
    Disposable gloves
    Swarfega/oil removal cream

I'm reluctant to go the whole hog and get stuff that is unlikely to be used and might get stolen like a pedal spanner or chain link removal tool. Also, stocking tubes would be nice but there's too many to keep hold of and they'd be first to get yoinked by ne'er-do-wells. It is essentially to help staff repair punctures and other minor mishaps, or top up their tyres, oil the chain kinda deal.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Last 5 items are consumables and will either get nicked or need replacing. Will there be a recurring budget for this or just a once off spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I don't know your work set up, but I think safe and secure bike storage would be most people's primary concern. If there is a budget then invest in some good locks and/or CCTV if the business doesn't have it. If they intend on kitting it out like a bike shop then why not go the whole hog and employ someone, even on a P/T basis, to look after the gear and tend to the repairs?

I think a good track pump, punture repair kits and multitool would suffice to get people home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Cable cutters
    Chain breaker (often come on a multi-tool, but a dedicated one is small bucks and makes life easier)
    Triple-headed allen keys (the ones from PlanetX are nearly free) - again, make life much easier than a multi-tool.
    I assume it's a track pump you have in mind?
    The heavy-duty hand cleaner in Lidl, which is made out of wood pulp (I think!) is fantastic for oil removal.
    In the current climate - hand sanitiser before and after use.

All these things can be stolen (the track pump and the repair stand are a little more challenging to pocket)...I imagine you're assuming theft won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

Leave the items in a cupboard in reception and have people sign stuff out/in
    My last place of work included a lock and chain for anyone who arrived in and found they had forgotten it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

It's an interesting idea. How will it work in terms of location (in the building), and access.

As Colm mcm asked, is there an ongoing budget for this? If not I'd stick with the capital expenditure items, and drop the consumables.

Do you have many people who cycle into your work? And how many of them would do stuff other than, say, change a tube?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Chain oil and a t25? One of my bikes has a stem that's a t25.
    A torque wrench would be class, but failing that a 5nm one would be useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

OP have you seen the bike repair stands dotted around Dublin? They're pretty neat and have a selection of tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

OP have you seen the bike repair stands dotted around Dublin? They're pretty neat and have a selection of tools.

That would be ideal for indoors too. Probably the best part of a grand to buy and install though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Maybe cables as well, its a nuisance when you break your gear cable on the way to work and are stuck in the 11 all the way home.

Admittedly it doesn't happen every day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems to be the one NamelessPhil mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Coffee! Nobody has mentioned a coffee machine yet! :)

Your list is quite comprehensive! I think a workstand, floor pump, Allen keys, (maybe a multitool) Would cover most emergency repairs (on road bikes anyway). Maybe including hydraulic brake fluid/bleed syringe/ brake rotor cleaner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Coffee! Nobody has mentioned a coffee machine yet! :)

Your list is quite comprehensive! I think a workstand, floor pump, Allen keys, (maybe a multitool) Would cover most emergency repairs (on road bikes anyway). Maybe including hydraulic brake fluid/bleed syringe/ brake rotor cleaner.

Add a swear jar and the whole thing could become self financing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We have one in work (or had one at this stage because I'm not sure we'll ever be going back there again).

It consisted of a reasonable selection of tools, a track pump, a selection of inner tubes and a few other bits and bobs.

On the basis of seven years experience with it, it was 99% the track pump and the tubes that were used. If you used a tube you replaced it with one of the same type. I added a spare tyre to it after a few years after getting a particularly bad cut one night and having to walk 3km in cleats.

Aside from that, I'd add allen keys and tyre levers. Although most people would carry their own, you do get the odd person who has yet to discover the value of having them.

cletus wrote: »
    It's an interesting idea. How will it work in terms of location (in the building), and access.

As Colm mcm asked, is there an ongoing budget for this? If not I'd stick with the capital expenditure items, and drop the consumables.

Do you have many people who cycle into your work? And how many of them would do stuff other than, say, change a tube?

Cheers to everyone for the input. I'll answer this one as it covers most, if not all, of the others.

The job is super safe, like zero access to members of the public, so us and one other building. The items will be left in a small courtyard, near a security hut, covered by CCTV. It should be okay, 90% of the cyclists don't even lock their bike.

The initial budget is decent enough, with maybe a small top up every 3-4 months, depending upon usage.

Between ourselves and the other building with access, there must be 50+ cyclists. No idea who'd need anything other than a puncture repair but I might do a quick survey, see what comes back.

Having patches is cheap as chips, like 20 - 30 quids worth of patches should last a year or two. The plan is to leave 4 or 5 there and have a note asking folks to contact my unit to top them up as required. These are pretty much the only consumable definitely planned.

I might look into securing the tools etc. Like a chain attached to the pump (track pump obviously), all the tools on one big cable secured to the wall etc. Might be too much work, but sure we'll see how she goes.

Looked into them alright, don't think the budget is that big, unfortunately.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

eeeee wrote: »
    Chain oil and a t25? One of my bikes has a stem that's a t25.
    A torque wrench would be class, but failing that a 5nm one would be useful too.

Forgot to quote this one.

I bought a road bike and a hybrid within 4 months of each other about 5 years ago. Both of them had torque wrench related components: seat post, handlebar stem etc. I was convinced I'd need one all the time and invested in a decent one. Think I opened it once to have a look and that was it, no idea where it is even. Can't imagine there'd be much demand for it, though maybe I'm mistaken. How often would you tighten the stem yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Charge stems and bars 4 days a week in season, but that's cos I'm going from track bars to pursuit bars.
    I have a calibrated elbow now :pac:
    I find the torque wrench handy for carbon parts.
    Also for calibrating my elbow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

For that money Calvin himself would want to be included in the price to fix the bike for you. Works out at about €14 an item :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Park Tool do a work station which might suit your budget - you'd still need a track pump (screwed to the floor).

https://www.parktool.com/product/trailhead-workstation-ths-1

Best price online (but seems to be available in Ireland, if your employer needs that for VAT/accounting reasons)
    https://www.bike24.com/p2305545.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement