Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Tax, tax use, tax wastage is a whole other thread, we are treated like mushrooms when it comes to tax and wastage,
    they keep us in the dark and feed us bull sh1te. Just think voting computers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

kadman wrote: »
    Tax, tax use, tax wastage is a whole other thread, we are treated like mushrooms when it comes to tax and wastage,
    they keep us in the dark and feed us bull sh1te. Just think voting computers;)

And dont forget the most expensive hospital per bed in the world being built in central Dublino.

Car99 wrote: »
    And dont forget the most expensive hospital per bed in the world being built in central Dublino.

Yeah, but not for you.:D

They just need to ramp up the money printing presses.

Give loads to the banks, so they then can loan 9 times more capital than they actually have, and charge you megabucks as a loan for the privelage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    Yup and income tax up to 80%

Not all gloom and doom though. A large 4 bed semi-detached house in a half decent Dublin suburb was under £10k and two people had only one paying job between them. Far simpler, easier and less stressful life.

And then women went out to work ..... I blame them! They put the prices up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

w124man wrote: »
    This is it in a nutshell. End of.

Why we bought classics in the UK or the price of eggs has SFA to do with the situation we are in now. None of this is of our making and blaming Revenue or the Government is plain dumb

It has actually.look at a car thats new now ,that will be a future classic ,the toyota yaris gr 35k euro in germany 58k euro in ireland,Hence hardly any will be sold here. 23k in difference and we are both in EU.Brexit has nothing to do with this price difference,.Its legalized robbery by this state on its citizens

• Advertisement

turbocab wrote: »
    It has actually.look at a car thats new now ,that will be a future classic ,the toyota yaris gr 35k euro in germany 58k euro in ireland,Hence hardly any will be sold here. 23k in difference and we are both in EU.Brexit has nothing to do with this price difference,.Its legalized robbery by this state on its citizens

Does your Mother know you're on the internet?

Very smart arent we,

So when you dont like to hear some facts and figures ,you resort to childish insults. Some adult you are

Now guys, I have already been on a thread thats been closed, dont do this here as well:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Folks, i know there is much uncertainty but do we know if things are different re VAT and duty if the car was originally built in the UK? Say a 1960s MGB etc. Didn't the deal , done late in 2020 mean there are exemptions to UK produced items?

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks, i know there is much uncertainty but do we know if things are different re VAT and duty if the car was originally built in the UK? Say a 1960s MGB etc. Didn't the deal , done late in 2020 mean there are exemptions to UK produced items?

Going by the govs website no exemptions for used cars . That page was updated 4th March it still says 21% VAT but I tjough VAT had gone back up to 23% on 1st March .

Import duty 10% : If the vehicle’s country of origin is the UK, you do not have to pay a customs duty if it is a new vehicle. Customs charges apply to all used vehicles imported from Great Britain.

VAT @ 23% : You have to pay VAT on all used and new cars imported from Great Britain. If you buy a car in Northern Ireland, you only have to pay VAT in Ireland on new cars. An extra VAT charge could apply if the vehicle was not properly imported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Source : https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Going by the govs website no exemptions for used cars . That page was updated 4th March it still says 21% VAT but I tjough VAT had gone back up to 23% on 1st March .

Import duty 10% : If the vehicle’s country of origin is the UK, you do not have to pay a customs duty if it is a new vehicle. Customs charges apply to all used vehicles imported from Great Britain.

VAT @ 23% : You have to pay VAT on all used and new cars imported from Great Britain. If you buy a car in Northern Ireland, you only have to pay VAT in Ireland on new cars. An extra VAT charge could apply if the vehicle was not properly imported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

Source : https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

That version is woefully inaccurate. I'd refer to Revenue.ie directly OP.

Isambard wrote: »
    That version is woefully inaccurate. I'd refer to Revenue.ie directly OP.

It may well be inaccurate but I have not seen or heard anything from NCT VRT or Revenue that shows it to be inaccurate.

To simplify your life and avoid any expensive surprises I would go with the advice in the above link until Revenue come out and clear everything up. At present assume the most expensive outcome when buying a car in the uk or ni and if it's still worth it then go for it. If it turns out your calculations were wrong well then that's a bonus.

It may well be inaccurate but I have not seen or heard anything from NCT VRT or Revenue that shows it to be inaccurate.

To simplify your life and avoid any expensive surprises I would go with the advice in the above link until Revenue come out and clear everything up. At present assume the most expensive outcome when buying a car in the uk or ni and if it's still worth it then go for it. If it turns out your calculations were wrong well then that's a bonus.

your interpretation is just muddying the waters, and is inaccurate, that it still says 21% should give a bit of a hint.

I'm not proposing to go into it as there are so many opinions out there and my advice would be as I said go to Revenue.ie.

turbocab wrote: »
    So when you dont like to hear some facts and figures ,you resort to childish insults. Some adult you are

Your facts and figures are irrelevant. Your argument is irrelevant. Comparing prices in any EU country against another is pointless. If you're that upset about it go to Germany and buy one and stop rehashing an old irrelevant argument.

your interpretation is just muddying the waters, and is inaccurate, that it still says 21% should give a bit of a hint.

I'm not proposing to go into it as there are so many opinions out there and my advice would be as I said go to Revenue.ie.

I get what you're saying and I may be muddying the waters but at least I won't end up with any financial surprises when I import a car and speaking of mud revenue.ie is about as clear as mud on the subject.

Your facts and figures are irrelevant. Your argument is irrelevant. Comparing prices in any EU country against another is pointless. If you're that upset about it go to Germany and buy one and stop rehashing an old irrelevant argument.

About as irrelevant as you are .

I am going off to get some popcorn and an armchair, because I have never had such great entertainmenmt as a few days ago when I asked a few metal detector questions on another thread..:eek: and then it was shut down for my insolence:P

Hopefully you guys dont do handbags at dawn and shut this on me too.:D:D

Carry on there.....munch,munch,munch.:P

kadman wrote: »
    I am going off to get some popcorn and an armchair, because I have never had such great entertainmenmt as a few days ago when I asked a few metal detector questions on another thread..:eek: and then it was shut down for my insolence:P

Hopefully you guys dont do handbags at dawn and shut this on me too.:D:D

Carry on there.....munch,munch,munch.:P

you're nearly 3 days too late

you're nearly 3 days too late

I am in lockdown, and I demand me entertainment.:D

Maybe someone go off and help the lady with her query on registering an old classic, that should have been registered before she bought it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

I will be purchasing a September 1991 English reg car that was imported to Northern Ireland private person in December 2020,
    Can I pay €200 now or wait until September?
    Kindest Regards

Mossir wrote: »
    I will be purchasing a September 1991 English reg car that was imported to Northern Ireland private person in December 2020,
    Can I pay €200 now or wait until September?
    Kindest Regards

Wait until September.

yeah you'll have to wait until the car is 30 years old before importing it. You'll need to have proof that it was imported to NI before 2021 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

yeah you'll have to wait until the car is 30 years old before importing it. You'll need to have proof that it was imported to NI before 2021 too.

Hi, will a invoice from transport company do?

hopefully. Who knows at present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I don't doubt you but ​do you have a link to that point on import date?

For example in the scenario where UK car is 30 Sept. Is there a specific rule from someone in NI purchasing car and selling after it's 30 years old?
    Does your point mean that anything from NI is treated the same as UK if brought into NI from 2021 onwards.

well you don't have to wait, but if you bring it into this country before it's 30 years old, you won't get to pay the €200 rate. VRT would be at the standard rate of a minimum of something like €720 iirc, more if it's an expensive car. The 30 years is nothing to do with the UK, it's for RoI VRT purposes.

If it was brought into NI before 2021 you'll be able to re-register it here as before, at the €200 rate once it's 30 years old when it arrives in the Republic. You'd have to be able to prove it though.

(were it brought into NI in 2021 the position is unclear but it's possible you would have to pay 23% VAT on invoic cost plus transport and (if it wasn't built in GB) 10% duty..... doesn't apply to this car, but added as an explanation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

well you don't have to wait, but if you bring it into this country before it's 30 years old, you won't get to pay the €200 rate. VRT would be at the standard rate of a minimum of something like €720 iirc, more if it's an expensive car. The 30 years is nothing to do with the UK, it's for RoI VRT purposes.

If it was brought into NI before 2021 you'll be able to re-register it here as before, at the €200 rate once it's 30 years old when it arrives in the Republic. You'd have to be able to prove it though.

(were it brought into NI in 2021 the position is unclear but it's possible you would have to pay 23% VAT on invoic cost plus transport and (if it wasn't built in GB) 10% duty..... doesn't apply to this car, but added as an explanation)

How is it unclear, you're paying VAT and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Hi all,

I'm looking at a classic campervan in the UK. It is LHD and would have been built in Germany originally and at some point in it's life ended up in the UK.

I've scoured the internet and cannot get clarity. If I use the customs and vat calculator online the van is not worth buying.

What I can't work out is that if the van was originally manufactured and used in Germany, then exported to UK as a used vehicle what the vat and customs implications are. Are they the same?

Any one any experience on this?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm looking at a classic campervan in the UK. It is LHD and would have been built in Germany originally and at some point in it's life ended up in the UK.

I've scoured the internet and cannot get clarity. If I use the customs and vat calculator online the van is not worth buying.

What I can't work out is that if the van was originally manufactured and used in Germany, then exported to UK as a used vehicle what the vat and customs implications are. Are they the same?

Any one any experience on this?

You'll have to run the gauntlet, fight your case and take your chances because sure as fcuk no one will be a le to answer that until you try. My money is on you'll be paying everything VAT, VRT and import duty.

Advertisement