Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked salt.. anybody use it on steak before? Does it give a smoky charcoal flavour?

Options
  • 12-10-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I really like the smoky meaty charcoal flavour. However I live in an apartment with no garden so creating smoky goodness is not possible.

What's the best way to replicate this flavour on a steak?

I just discovered smoked salt on the google. I might buy a pack from Amazon.

Liquid smoke is also an option. Although I've never tried that either.

Anybody used these on steak?

Is there any other way to get that delicious smoky charcoal flavour on a piece of steak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Smoked salt is nowhere near smokey enough to give any appreciable smoke flavour to steak. Liquid smoke is far stronger but can have a very artificial taste to it that I don't particularly enjoy. I don't think it would do anything for me on steak but your mileage may vary. You could always try adding literally a drop or two to the oil you brush your steak with.

I really like the smoky meaty charcoal flavour. However I live in an apartment with no garden so creating smoky goodness is not possible.

What's the best way to replicate this flavour on a steak?

I just discovered smoked salt on the google. I might buy a pack from Amazon.

Liquid smoke is also an option. Although I've never tried that either.

Anybody used these on steak?

Is there any other way to get that delicious smoky charcoal flavour on a piece of steak?

I bought a bag of wood chips in dealz for grilling to add an extra smoky taste. You soak them in water for 24 hours and then throw a few on your BBQ.

I tried it with a steak and it works quite well.

Get your pan roasting hot(no oil), marinade your steak in olive oil, sea salt and fresh pepper, drop a pre soaked chip onto the hot pan, and a moment later add the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I bought a bag of wood chips in dealz for grilling to add an extra smoky taste. You soak them in water for 24 hours and then throw a few on your BBQ.

I tried it with a steak and it works quite well.

Get your pan roasting hot(no oil), marinade your steak in olive oil, sea salt and fresh pepper, drop a pre soaked chip onto the hot pan, and a moment later add the steak.

So you cook the steak with the wood chip, as if the chip was a clove of garlic or something? How does it add a smoky flavour? Do you have to touch it off the steak? Baste it in butter or something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Smoked salt is a great finishing salt on the chips you serve with the steak. For the steak your only bet is to open alllll the windows and blast the heat on the hob with a cast iron pan.

For smoking longer times, there's other options like smoking guns (if you're too fancy) or dropping burning wood in tinfoil nearby in a huge pot or other lidded container.

Liquid smoke I find weirdly sweet, it's good in BBQ sauce but anywhere it's not hidden, I wouldn't recommend. SMoked paprika is a nicer way to add smoke...

Advertisement