Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Rathangan

• 12-10-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking at buying a house in Rathangan Manor, and we’re looking for some insight into the area. We’ve travelled out there a few times, and are fine with the location, roads, and the rural-ness of the town itself.

It seems like a pretty chill place, and available crime statistics (up to 2016) all seem good, but wondering if there’s anything we should be wary of.

I’m also a little concerned about broadband. There’s a cabinet basically right outside the estate across from the school, so should get a pretty decent connection with Eir, but if there’s anyone here already living in Rathangan Manor who has a connection, it’d be great to hear how you’re getting on with it (and the house in general).

Feel free to PM me if you’d rather not post publicly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Lauren52

Popple3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife and I are looking at buying a house in Rathangan Manor, and we’re looking for some insight into the area. We’ve travelled out there a few times, and are fine with the location, roads, and the rural-ness of the town itself.

It seems like a pretty chill place, and available crime statistics (up to 2016) all seem good, but wondering if there’s anything we should be wary of.

I’m also a little concerned about broadband. There’s a cabinet basically right outside the estate across from the school, so should get a pretty decent connection with Eir, but if there’s anyone here already living in Rathangan Manor who has a connection, it’d be great to hear how you’re getting on with it (and the house in general).

Feel free to PM me if you’d rather not post publicly.

Hi did You get anywhere with this ? We are thinking of moving there Also. Love the estate. Love the area. List trying to add up the pros & cons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

We ended up putting a booking deposit down, but haven't signed contracts yet. We had a bit of a faff with out mortgage thanks to COVID, but a broker has since sorted us out. Waiting until the new year to get our loan offer actually issued now since building work on our house likely won't start until the new year anyway even if we signed tomorrow and the loan offer only lasts 6 months. Just trying to minimise the chances of us having to re-apply after the 6 months. And since we're going for one of the detached houses, there was no real incentive to sign with 21 days (there's no flooring or appliances included in the detached houses regardless of when you sign).

Haven't been able to find any reason not to go for it really. It's great value for money, Rathangan seems like a nice little town, Kildare town not too far off for the weekly shop and whatever other bits we might need, and the commute to Dublin is fine to do a couple days a week (drive to Kildare train station and get the train from there, bus service from Rathangan itself would take way too long).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

We bought a house in the other new estate a while back, moving from Dublin, and we've never regretted the decision! It's a really nice area, like you said, close enough to Kildare and Newbridge, but I've found that even though Rathangan is small, you can get all the essentials, and shopkeepers will order in anything you need. Lots of nice places to walk, decent coffee and grub in the cafe. If somebody told me 12 months ago that I'd survive lockdown in a small rural village, I'd have been shocked, i was a complete "city slicker"!
    The commute to Dublin is grand, I only have to do it once a week or so, my partner does it daily, we drive as public transport doesn't suit us for our destinations, but rarely have had any major delays, even pre-travel restrictions.
    Welcome to the area!

Advertisement