Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best broadband

• 12-10-2020 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just looking for advice on the best company to get good reliable and fast broadband from. Based between kilbrittain and timoleague coastal direction currently have Vodafone and its terrible. Have no use for landlines also
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Hi all
    Just looking for advice on the best company to get good reliable and fast broadband from. Based between kilbrittain and timoleague coastal direction currently have Vodafone and its terrible. Have no use for landlines also
    Many thanks

Imagine have a mast somewhere in Kilbrittain and they say they can deliver 50mbits download.
    If you are near the mast, they might be the best bet. The downside is that they are costly, 60 Euro per month, I think.
    I am across the estuary from you and I recently changed to Eir with their B818 modem and am getting great speeds, but I am neared the Eir mast in Courtmacsherry.
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

Thanks dave. Currently with Vodafone its a disaster. I have sky TV so wondering about their broadband also. Imagine made contact but at 60e a month seems excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Generally, sky and Vodafone are using the Eir lines so they pretty much all have the same speeds but different packages and prices.
    Being close to a mast doesn't make any difference either for wired broadband. Your either connected to fibre or your not. The distance from the fibre/junction box can make a difference alright but not massively.

Imagine are supposed to be good but as was said above, they're not cheap, they used to have limits too which weren't massive and easily reached so they slowed you down to a crawl. I'm not sure if this is still the case with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Thanks dave. Currently with Vodafone its a disaster. I have sky TV so wondering about their broadband also. Imagine made contact but at 60e a month seems excessive.

You might get someone with Eir on their mobile phone, to check speeds at your house. I know a modem would probably be faster, but it is still the Eir 4G mobile signal I am getting.
    PS, I don't know anything about Sky.
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Acosta

I have a dodgy phone line and also never want to deal with Eir ever again so I went for a Three dongle which works pretty good most of the time. It's 4g and works fine for streaming, downloading and general internet use. I wouldn't be too far from you. Check the coverage for where you are. 30 quid a month.

https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm up near Dunmanway so they might have different speeds around you but I got Digital Forge back in March and it has been excellent.

I don't have a landline but have a little dish that picks up the WiFi (don't know the technical lingo for what I get exactly) but I've been working from home since March without issue. I've actually got the fastest internet on my team including one guy who lives in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I'm up near Dunmanway so they might have different speeds around you but I got Digital Forge back in March and it has been excellent.

I don't have a landline but have a little dish that picks up the WiFi (don't know the technical lingo for what I get exactly) but I've been working from home since March without issue. I've actually got the fastest internet on my team including one guy who lives in the city

I moved to Digital Forge a while back and while it's an improvement on what I had (which to be fair, wouldn't be hard - dial up speeds via Eir), it's far from perfect.
    Firstly, I was promised 50MB but they were unable to sustain it and dropped me to 30 MB. Alarm bells here, as it looked like they were not knowledgeable on the limitations of their system.
    I never hit 30MB but a solid 12/15MB held pretty well until the past few months when the signal in the evenings just drops of the face of the earth. You couldn't watch a youtube video with it.
    Tech supposed to be coming onsite today to have a look... (in the middle of the day, when I have very few issues) and I just ran a speedtest and it's never been higher.... ISN'T THAT SOME COINCIDENCE.........

Hard to say this, but of all the providers I've had since I first found the interweb, they are the best and most responsive (but far from perfect......)

Advertisement