Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCB Tripping

Options
  • 13-10-2020 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Well folks. Woke up this morning to no power at any of the sockets. Checked the fuse board, RCD tripped, all MCB's fine.

Turned off each MCB, then turned them to one at at time. Isolated the problem to the kitchen. I've unplugged every appliance in the kitchen, but the MCB keeps tripping anyway.

Bit stumped now. What's the next step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Is there anything other than the sockets on that MCB, any fused spurs?
    You would need to take off sockets and check wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cletus

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is there anything other than the sockets on that MCB, any fused spurs?
    You would need to take off sockets and check wiring.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe so. The cooker has its own MCB on the board. There is an outdoor socket spurred off the kitchen circuit, it has been in place over a year, but I suppose there could be some water ingress. I'll start checking sockets now. Thanks again

So, I believe I found the problem. Decided to check the outdoor socket first. I had failed to lock the cover closed last weekend after using it. Took the face plate off, and found two slugs behind it, plus a heap of slug slime sitting on the live terminal. I think slug number 3 may have met his maker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Check that the cable way into the box is sealed.

John.G wrote: »
    Check that the cable way into the box is sealed.

Cableway is at the back of the box, directly in line with the internal socket it's spurred off.

Box is siliconed all around the outer edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

They may have gained entry through the cavity wall (or block), I have a number of outside double sockets but the electrician had mounted them very slightly above the cable exit and glanded the box, I just inspected them there now (after 15 years ) and apart from very slight moisture seem fine.

John.G wrote: »
    They may have gained entry through the cavity wall (or block), I have a number of outside double sockets but the electrician had mounted them very slightly above the cable exit and glanded the box, I just inspected them there now (after 15 years ) and apart from very slight moisture seem fine.

Thanks. I might take the face plate back off and shoot a dab of silicone into the hole for the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Poor slug. Was the live terminal exposed, that's unusual? Yeah just seal it all up with silicone.
    Maybe you could put in a DP switched fused spur so that you can disable the outdoor socket so that it doesn't take out the RCD. You can also get fused spurs with RCDs built in but I've never used them.

Advertisement